PDA

View Full Version : Farang ID on demand?

Marsilius
November 2nd, 2007, 22:54
A while ago (between six months and a year, I'd guess) there was an animated discussion here about the need (or otherwise) for foreigners in Thailand to carry ID at all times.

The consensus appeared to be that carrying ID had always been a requirement in theory - though hardly ever enforced - but that suddenly the system was being tightened (I seem to recall someone reporting an incident where a few guys in Pattaya were actually hauled off to the police station until passports were produced).

As far as I can recall, though, there was no final agreement on that thread between those who said that carrying one's ORIGINAL passport was vital - though, obviously, something of a practical risk - and those who thought that a laminated COPY of the passport ID page + the visa entry stamp page would suffice.

As I fly out to Bangkok and Pattaya tomorrow, I wonder whether any clarity has since emerged in practice over what is best to do - or has it all proved to be a storm in a teacup, after all?

November 2nd, 2007, 23:02
I wonder whether any clarity has since emerged in practice over what is best to do

No.

globalwanderer
November 2nd, 2007, 23:47
officially the original is required..........

it's down to the officer at the time if he'll accept a copy

gumblebee
November 2nd, 2007, 23:48
In october my taxi was stopped at a police checkpoint somewhere in Bangkok. I had my national ID-card as well as a copy of my passport (front page, entrance form and page with entrance stamp) ; the police seemed happy with that, no remarks.

catawampuscat
November 3rd, 2007, 00:04
With many safes being broken into or otherwise looted, it may just be safer to carry your passport with you.

It is the law and while it is unlikely you will have a problem, it is prudent to carry the original but it seems
good copies have worked and are better than nothing. I feel safer carrying than in leaving it in a safe but
it is up to you.. :cat:

November 3rd, 2007, 00:54
I carry a laminated copy that also shows my latest visa stamp. I hope the cops have good eyes because its very small.

adman5000
November 3rd, 2007, 05:09
I carry a laminated color copy including visa and entry stamps. I also scan and put a copy in an email to myself so i can access it from anywhere if need be. The only time I carry my original is if I am going to the bank or to cash travelers checks.

TOQ
November 3rd, 2007, 09:29
I carry a laminated color copy including visa and entry stamps. I also scan and put a copy in an email to myself so i can access it from anywhere if need be. The only time I carry my original is if I am going to the bank or to cash travelers checks.

That is an excellant idea. Thanks

john

November 3rd, 2007, 17:09
I carry a laminated color copy including visa and entry stamps.....The only time I carry my original is if I am going to the bank or to cash travelers checks.
Ditto.

I have been asked for ID on two occasions in the last 18 months, once in Pattaya and once on the way to Sri Racha (at a vehicle check). The cops accepted the laminated colour copy without question.

For me, it's better to have the original locked up safely than to carry it around and risk it getting damaged or lost/stolen. The sheer hassle and bureaucracy of trying to get a replacement from the BE in Bangkok is worth laying out 80 Baht each visit for the colour copy.

Incidentally on the Pattaya occasion (bar piss check) another farang had a black and white copy of his passport identity page/visa stamp and that was not accepted by the same cops, who called for a police pick-up to transport the guy to his hotel to produce the original (and which also incurred a 1000 Baht fine).

November 3rd, 2007, 17:14
No such crackdowns lately. Don't worry.

November 3rd, 2007, 22:09
No such crackdowns lately. Don't worry.

Until the next one...

November 4th, 2007, 17:16
A while ago (between six months and a year, I'd guess) there was an animated discussion here about the need (or otherwise) for foreigners in Thailand to carry ID at all times.

The consensus appeared to be that carrying ID had always been a requirement in theory - though hardly ever enforced - but that suddenly the system was being tightened (I seem to recall someone reporting an incident where a few guys in Pattaya were actually hauled off to the police station until passports were produced).

As far as I can recall, though, there was no final agreement on that thread between those who said that carrying one's ORIGINAL passport was vital - though, obviously, something of a practical risk - and those who thought that a laminated COPY of the passport ID page + the visa entry stamp page would suffice.

As I fly out to Bangkok and Pattaya tomorrow, I wonder whether any clarity has since emerged in practice over what is best to do - or has it all proved to be a storm in a teacup, after all?

Thai law requires carrying personal identifications at all time. Foreigners need to show the full passport if requested.

There are even night venues entering without ID (for Thai) or full passport (for foreigners) isn’t possible.

Most police officers are satisfied if foreigners are able to present a good photocopy of passport including visa and arrival card.

I personally show my Thai driving licence and never had any problems. Alternatively I do carry also a good copy of my passport (main page, recent visa, arrival card) signed by myself on both sides and laminated. I never ever had any problems.