PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Pick-Pocket

bucknaway
November 2nd, 2007, 14:38
Last night I was headed back to my hotel from DJ Station. I was walking alone, ignoring the touts. Headed my way was a small boy and a guy in his early 20's. As they passed me, the little boy quickly turned and grabbed my arm and walked backwards saying something to me that I did not understand. I only said no and did not even look at him, but he did stop me. I did look at him and saw some wooden objects in a basket, things I think would be difficult to sell cause I didn't even know what the heck they were. I also noticed he was now patting my arm and let the basket rest at the joint. I thought this was odd and wondered what he was doing with his other hand.... Well that hand was busy working the leg pocket of my cargo shorts and he was using the basket to block that view. The moment I began to notice what he was doing, his older friend called to him and it was over as fast as it started. I checked the pocket that he was trying to get into and made sure that my sample cologne and tiny spray deodorant were still that... And they were.....

November 2nd, 2007, 15:29
You are one big, black, trouble magnet. You realize that, don't you?

November 2nd, 2007, 16:50
You are one big, black, trouble magnet. You realize that, don't you?

One of the earliest and certainly most dramatic responses among black ! :clown:

bing
November 2nd, 2007, 19:11
Congrats on being able to ward off an attempt on your property. No one ever wants to get ripped-off, and your
being aware that something was not right probably saved your stuff from being removed from your pocket. Good on you.

November 2nd, 2007, 19:40
Bucky, come back to Pattaya and you can fulfil more of your desires.

The two arrested men stated that they worked in a boxing show at the Best Friends beer bar group on Pattaya Beach. After the show they walked around the beach attempting to sell their sexual services to foreigners.

Full story here: http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd11

November 2nd, 2007, 22:53
I checked the pocket that he was trying to get into and made sure that my sample cologne and tiny spray deodorant were still that... And they were.....

So your paranoia got the better of you.
You don't know if the boy was a pick-pocket or not?

But ... Praise the Lord that you still have your deodorant :rr:

Bob
November 3rd, 2007, 03:10
Geez, Bucky, you need a friggin' bodyguard. I'll volunteer and: (1) knock all the touts and possible pickpockets to Nakorn Nowhere (which is in the suburbs of Korat); (2) eat the grapes before those pesky street pesticides even think about deforming your abs, and (3) personally inspect and sanitize any thai boy even thinking of making whoopee with you.

Edit: Now that I've seen your other post about the Trinity, add this: (4) I'll bring my can of Raid and vaporize those nasty crawling red bugs.....

Zyxel-old
November 3rd, 2007, 13:01
Same happened to me on last Wednesday at 02:00 am coming out of DJ. I was walking on Saladaeng near the corner with Silom when this little boy and little girl came to me and immediately grabbed my hands and with their other free hand tried to get into my jean front pockets. I had 5 beers at DJ and was feeling a bit drunk. They must had noticed me and thought I was more drunk than I really was. As they became more aggressive I pushed them away and at that time a woman on the other side of Saladaeng road shouted something to them and they run away, crossed the street and left toward Silom with the woman. Both kids had some roses for sell in their hands and used them to hide their other hand trying to get in my pockets. Nothing stolen but a first for me after 15 years in Thailand including 9 in BKK.

thrillbill
November 6th, 2007, 20:17
I have lived in Thailand for about 4 years and I now over react when children or adults "bump" into me... WHY? Because once I was pick pocketed (first time)in Pattaya by a little cute 7 year old with her mom on the baht bus. I felt the girl's foot hit my shorts as I was distracted by someone talking across from me (part of the scam) and the little bastard must have whipped my wallet out of my cargo short pockets like a magician;for,I couldn't get the wallet out with my own hands! Then one time at a Bangkok Seven Eleven someone bumped behind me and dropped his cell phone card as he bumped into me and I turned around. Meanwhile the other bloke took out a new pair of jeans I had just purchased out of my bag that was on the floor in front of me. So anyone that "bumps" into me my radar now goes on...and when I am on a baht bus and see a mom and a kid on, I try not to sit next to them; for I think of my bad experience. Paranoid? Yes.