PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis B continues to kill

November 1st, 2007, 14:28
Experts warn it is still rampant in Asia Pacific

Chronic hepatitis B (CHB) patients still lack essential information about the disease, fuelling its spread in the Asia Pacific region, an infectious disease expert said on Monday, as she urged greater awareness to prevent new infections and save people's lives.

The 10th leading cause of death in the world, CHB affects about 360 million people - more than three quarters of affected people live in the Asia Pacific region, according to a 2001 report. CHB patients risk serious health complications, with one out of four expe-cted to die from either cirrhosis or liver cancer according to statistics.

In Asia, the percentage of the population carrying the hepatitis B virus ranges between 5 and 20 per cent depending on the country. In 2002, the journal Viral Immunology reported that five million Thais were CHB sufferers, while a 1993 report found that 71 per cent of liver-cancer patients in Thailand were hepatitis B carriers.

However, public awareness about CHB in the region remains low, even among patients who are on antiviral therapy, AsiaHep chairperson Dr Nancy Leung told a Hong Kong press conference on Monday. She cited a survey of 10 Asian countries conducted earlier this year which indicates that most patients have a poor understanding about how the virus is transmitted, believe that the disease will not have a significant impact on their lives, and do not perceive the urgency of managing their illness.

"We need to put a greater focus on educating people about CHB, the importance of regular tests for viral activity before symptoms develop, and effective treatments to prevent the progression of this potentially serious disease," Leung said.

From March to May of 2007, marketing-research firm Synovate conducted interviews with 1,500 CHB patients between the ages of 25 and 64 in China, Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

The survey found that people suffering from the "silent infection" of CHB showed no obvious symptoms in 69 per cent of cases, while in the remaining 30 per cent where the infection moved to the stage of acute hepatitis B, it can be up to six months before symptoms such as fever, fatigue, joint and muscle pain, nausea or jaundice are noticed. Many people do not realise they are infected and unknowingly pass the virus on.

Although most patients claimed they knew "an average or a great deal" about CHB, only 36 per cent knew it could be transmitted from mother-to-child and only 27 per cent knew about the associated risk of unprotected sex, the survey found. Many also mixed up facts about hepatitis B with hepatitis A or E, saying they got the virus from "eating infected food", while others incorrectly cited poor health and alcohol abuse.

Most hepatitis B cases in Asia are believed to originate from mother-to-child transmission. This could be prevented by giving a vaccine to an at-risk infant within 12 hours after birth, followed by a second dose one to two months later and a third dose at age six months.

The survey also found a large number of CHB patients hope for a complete recovery despite being on antiviral medication for years, Leung said, adding that their long-term goal should be to suppress the virus and prevent cirrhosis and liver cancer.

"As a doctor, I should be happy if my patients are happy. They are not worried, but I'm worried on their behalf because otherwise they won't come back when they have a disease that needs treatment, they will just let it go. A lot of patients come to me when they have serious complications such as cirrhosis or even liver cancer. By that time, their lives are seriously compromised," Leung said.

Source: The Nation, 01. Nov, 2007

November 1st, 2007, 15:13
You might be surprised how careless many people are, especially if it comes to sex.

And the hepatitis-rate in Thailand is shockingly high, in particular with people working in night life.

Hepatitis infection can be easily spread out to anothers....

I am not concerned about Western visitors who can afford the very expensive treatment after being infected - the pain and trouble is equally for free. Asian people are much more fragile тАУ and, especially in Thailand, related to income, medical care is very expensive and there is not much of social security network behind.

I donтАЩt want spoil any fun тАУ but there are responsibilities too.

Information taken from Thailand official tourism promotion website (http:sawadee.com/general/health.htm)

Viral hepatitis

There are two major groups of viral hepatitis. Hepatitis spread by contaminated food and water, hepatitis A and E, are endemic in many parts of Asia. Most local people are immune to these types of hepatitis through natural infection, but travelers from better hygienic environments can be receptive to infection- Therefore, travelers are recommended to practice prevention measures against food and water borne diseases, as suggested for diarrhea. An alternative protection for hepatitis A is the immunization with hyper immune serum or hepatitis A vaccine. Consult with the physician at an established medical service for the immunization.

Another group of hepatitis; hepatitis B, C and D; are transmitted through contaminated blood and sexual contacts, or passed from infected mothers to their babies at the time of birth; similar to the ways HIV/AIDS is transmitted. This group of hepatitis can be simultaneously and effectively avoided if precautions immunization against HIV/AIDS are strictly taken. However, for those who require immunization, effective vaccine against hepatitis B is available at most medical services.

Additional information from very reputable Chulalongkorn University

Poovorawan Y, Chongsrisawat V, Tangkijvanich P.

Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.

To this day, viral hepatitis remains a major public health problem in Thailand. Chronic infection with hepatitis B and C viruses are the leading causes of chronic liver diseases, including cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Outbreaks of hepatitis A virus continue to occur in Thailand, even after several years of consistently declining prevalence rates. Also, the reduction in prevalence of hepatitis D virus infection has been observed among intravenous drug users over the past decade. Hepatitis E virus constitutes a rather unusual cause of sporadic acute hepatitis in Thailand. Highly effective vaccines are currently available for prevention of hepatitis A and B, however, as yet no effective vaccine for hepatitis C is imminent. Following rapid progress in the development of molecular techniques, several new hepatitis viruses have been identified. Among these, Hepatitis G, TT and SEN viruses have recently been described but their significance as to causation of human liver disease has yet to be established. This article reviews the current epidemiology, molecular biology, and strategies aimed at prevention and control of hepatitis virus infection in Thailand emphasizing new developments and recent data obtained from our research studies.

November 1st, 2007, 15:41
Just being careful doesn't usually do any harm

Thailand is a great country I love a lot. But itтАЩs a third world country with all negative moments related to a poor underdeveloped country.

Please be sure. I am pretty relaxed, no need to worry about that.

Have you ever suffered from hepatitis? I've had the "pleasure" when I was about 12 / 13 years old. Luckily received excellent medial care and after 10 weeks returned back to normal.

Have you ever seen people in Thailand suffering from hepatitis or dying of hepatitis infection? Put it in simple words: It's not funny at all.

November 1st, 2007, 16:31
Any sensible person has been vaccinated against Hep. B. http://www.vaccineinformation.org/hepb/ To not do so puts you at risk and also your sexual partners.

One thing that I am not very clear on is how often vaccines need to have a booster shot.

According to my 1994 Health Record Card boosters are needed

Hep A - 10 years
Hep B - 5 years

Polio - 10 years

Tetanus - 10 years

Typhoid - 3 years

November 1st, 2007, 20:33
Hepatitis B (and for that matter A) inoculation is readily available for Westerners; it's a nuisance having the original course since it's three shots over six months. I assume it's also available to Thais who can afford it

francois
November 2nd, 2007, 02:13
Hep A vaccine is available at most clinics in Thailand and is reasonable in cost. Hep B vaccine is more costly and can be had at a hospital. The person normally is tested to determine if they have been exposed to Hep B and therefore have gained immunity. Thus they do not require further vaccination. Both Hep B and Hep C can be killers but there is no vaccine for Hep C.
Ttom is doing a valuable service by bringing this to the attention of board members. I know, my brother died last month of liver cancer, a direct result of Hep C which he contacted while in the military during the Vietnam war.

It is a disgrace that some forum members are making a mockery of this topic by having a pissing contest with each other on a non-related topic.

Francois

jinks
November 2nd, 2007, 04:20
It is a disgrace that some forum members are making a mockery of this topic by having a pissing contest with each other on a non-related topic.

Francois

The offending posts have been deleted and lost us another username (I hope)

November 2nd, 2007, 04:45
The UK NHS did not recommend Hepatitus B vaccination.
However, the NHS is like some Soviet era monopoly, offering sub standard healthcare in dirty hospitals where 10% of patients catch some infection whilst in the hospital. Most ot their money goes on overpaying the doctors.

I checked a private travel clinic & they recommended Hepatitus B, which is the same as many other western countries.
I will have 3 jabs in 4 weeks -some versions of the vaccine are OK for this.

November 2nd, 2007, 05:44
Years ago when I got my Hep B on the British NHS they gave it free to gay men as we are more at risk.

How odd that the Hep B trail has been banished to the, little visited. Global Forum but the trail on Dengue Fever stays on the main board.

November 2nd, 2007, 09:17
The UK NHS did not recommend Hepatitus B vaccination.
However, the NHS is like some Soviet era monopoly, offering sub standard healthcare in dirty hospitals where 10% of patients catch some infection whilst in the hospital. Most ot their money goes on overpaying the doctors.

I checked a private travel clinic & they recommended Hepatitus B, which is the same as many other western countries.
I will have 3 jabs in 4 weeks -some versions of the vaccine are OK for this.

In Thailand there are about 15 varieties known just alone of Hepatitis B. Prophylaxis isn’t working with all of them. Vaccines aren’t always hassling free and can cause many problems.

Your g.p. should know more about this.

Being carefull is higly recommended.