PDA

View Full Version : Did you know what a white elephant is ... originated in Siam

October 31st, 2007, 23:31
apparently, originated in Siam, owning a white elephant is a "treasure" and no one would get rid of them no matter what, so ...

the King if he disliked someone, he would give them a white elephant, knowing well that they would not get rid of them - and then they would have to keep them, feed them for the rest of their lives. Basically, a burden and being a pain in the butt, hence the expression White Elephant

November 1st, 2007, 00:00
apparently, originated in Siam, owning a white elephant is a "treasure" and no one would get rid of them no matter what, so ...

the King if he disliked someone, he would give them a white elephant, knowing well that they would not get rid of them - and then they would have to keep them, feed them for the rest of their lives. Basically, a burden and being a pain in the butt, hence the expression White Elephant

Thank your God for Google: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/410050.html

November 1st, 2007, 06:27
Countdown actually, the programme on UK Channel 4

catawampuscat
November 1st, 2007, 12:19
What is story about pink elephants? This is a gay Thailand forum after all... :cat:

November 1st, 2007, 17:51
same, same. Pink elephants are white elephants viewed through a pink gin. If you can count them you need another G&T.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 1st, 2007, 20:28
and it warms my heart..indeed Mrs O'Booze has told me lovingly ( I think) so many times...my dear Lunchtime..when I look at you I think I married the biggest White Elephant imaginable".

I hope you have reconsidered your decision and will post a complete expose of you adventures of your up-coming Thai holiday.

November 2nd, 2007, 04:29
"A hallucination caused by over-indulgence in alcoholic drink", bet there's a few of them in Thailand!!