PDA

View Full Version : Street Kids' Project Support

February 18th, 2006, 13:26
I recall that in December a number of posters on this board said that they were going to support a Christmas Project by a charity working with kids in Pattaya, I am sorry that I do not recall who the original poster was.

I notice that the website for the charity has been updated with reports on the visit to Pattaya by the trustees and the Chrismas and New Year events;

For those who supported the charity of anyone else interested here is the link:

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html

Aunty
February 18th, 2006, 16:46
For those of us who are new to this board, and who don't know, is this a legitimate charity that one can send money to?

February 18th, 2006, 18:39
For those of us who are new to this board, and who don't know, is this a legitimate charity that one can send money to?

If you take a look at their website you will find that it is charity registered in the UK with the Charity Commission.

There are projects that they are involved with in Pattaya that you can easily check out for yourself by looking at their website and from what I have see/heard and from a meeting with one of the charity trustees at Hauy-Pong last year I personally would be happy to support their work.

Aunty
February 19th, 2006, 00:01
Cool, thanks.

February 19th, 2006, 02:21
Well good on ya King Kong ,mate im right behind ya..................

Im pretty sure there was a poster on here who was a director of it.

February 19th, 2006, 02:37
Well good on ya King Kong ,mate im right behind ya..................

Im pretty sure there was a poster on here who was a director of it.

If my memory serves me right the post that mentioned the project was the one made on November 19th 2005 copied below: (Found it through using search but sorry I have no idea to post a link to the post)

-----------------------
I'm sure there are other charities equally deserving located in other home countries, but one I know of in the UK ~ once publicised long ago on this Board, is worthy of mention.

Pattaya Street Kids Support Project

100% of all money donated, enhanced by the value of UK tax reclaimed under gift aid, is given directly to a handful of charitable support projects on the ground in Pattaya. You can specify to which cause your money is directed. For as little as ┬г5 a month you can sponsor a child U.13 who because of poverty, needs external support to attend school, or ┬г10 a month for the older children. Christmas is coming... why not sponsor a few children @ ┬г2.50 pr head so they can attend the New Year Party.

Details on the website.

You don't have to be a Brit to contribute. Anyone can use PayPal and contribute, using the streetkidshelp@hotmail.com as the payee. You can state how you wish your donation to be used in the Notes box for the payment.

Do please take a look at their website, if only to appraise yourself of what some of the charities are doing to help the street kids in Pattaya.
Dick

Geezer
February 19th, 2006, 11:03
100% of all money donated, enhanced by the value of UK tax reclaimed under gift aid, is given directly to a handful of charitable support projects on the ground in Pattaya.

It my understanding that charitable contributions from outside the country are taxed ten percent by the government. SOME of the contributions for tsunami aid were exempted or got into the country before the tax authorities got organized for the windfall.

February 19th, 2006, 13:52
100% of all money donated, enhanced by the value of UK tax reclaimed under gift aid, is given directly to a handful of charitable support projects on the ground in Pattaya.

It my understanding that charitable contributions from outside the country are taxed ten percent by the government. SOME of the contributions for tsunami aid were exempted or got into the country before the tax authorities got organized for the windfall.

I have checked this out for you and NO donations made to the charity from outside of the UK are taxable.

If donations are made to any UK charity they are excempt of tax unless that charity is registred as a commercial company and selling good to raise funds. An example is where many of the major charities have high street shops selling goods. In that case the charity registered as a Company is liable for tax on its profits. A non-trading charitiy has no Income Tax liability.

The only difference between UK based donors and overseas donors is that UK donors, providing that they are standard rate taxpayers, allow a charity to reclaim a further 28% of the full donation back from the Inland Revenue without extra cost to the original donor
What happened with the Tsunam appeal funds was that the UK government refused to waive the VAT of good purchased IN THE UK from Tsunamai donations irrespective of where those funds originated.

Anyone interested in supporting any UK charity from outside of the UK can check an individual charitie's status by asking them via their website or checking their registration on the UK Charity Commission website.

Geezer
February 19th, 2006, 14:46
I intended to write that charitable contributions entering Thailand are taxed by the Thai government.

I would very much like to be shown to be wrong in this. I know people who have consulted a lawyer attempting to get contributions into Thailand without those contributions being taxed, but had no success.

If anyone knows a way to gain an exemption from this tax (without making a sizeable contribution to an тАЬinfluential figureтАЭ) my friends would certainly like to know.

February 19th, 2006, 16:41
I intended to write that charitable contributions entering Thailand are taxed by the Thai government.

I would very much like to be shown to be wrong in this. I know people who have consulted a lawyer attempting to get contributions into Thailand without those contributions being taxed, but had no success.

If anyone knows a way to gain an exemption from this tax (without making a sizeable contribution to an тАЬinfluential figureтАЭ) my friends would certainly like to know.

The way that most charities and I know for a fact that the one the subject of this thread does so, is not to make financial donations to any project/person/organisation/foundation but to pay for goods and services itself.

Education costs are paid to the school on an individual by individual basis, goods such as food, clothing and medical services are purchased in Thailand by the charity's respresentative/s when they visit the Kingdom. This expenditure albeit funded by overseas donations is excempt from tax.

Sending sums of money to any organisation in Thailand for any charitable use is taxable and of course carries the risk that some of the funds will be siphoned off during the process. Which is a very good reason to support charities registered outside of Thailand and who do not make financial donations but purchase the goods and services themselves. That way the charities have total control over their funds and can ensure that the money is used for the purpose intended.

February 22nd, 2006, 23:05
Too bad Silom is no longer here. He was always willing to give the kids a hand.

Smiles
February 23rd, 2006, 00:19
. . . and Ms Thrope always willing to be ever-the-asshole, implying and snidely accusing Members of things of which there is no proof whatsoever, and no general consensus that the accusations have any veracity whatsoever.

We've had moralizing one-trick-ponies on this Board before, and undoubtedly always will, but they don't deserve a free ride anytime, anywhere. This dude will highjack any thread in order to get her licks in.

Cheers ...

February 23rd, 2006, 03:43
. . . and Ms Thrope always willing to be ever-the-asshole, implying and snidely accusing Members of things of which there is no proof whatsoever, and no general consensus that the accusations have any veracity whatsoever.

We've had moralizing one-trick-ponies on this Board before, and undoubtedly always will, but they don't deserve a free ride anytime, anywhere. This dude will highjack any thread in order to get her licks in.

Cheers ...

I will endorse everything that Smiles writes above. I have in the past found Siloms posts informative, sincere and entertaining and in a few PM's with him have never found him to be anything but 'up front'.

As Smiles says there are always snidey idiots who will make accusations without any justification for doing so. Maybe to cover their own shortcomings?

Bob
February 23rd, 2006, 06:31
The ignore function is the best invention since the slice of bread. Smiles, you are much too kind in your characterization of the usual crap emanating from that bitch. And, as far as I am concerned, the fact that the individual isn't booted out of here (a situtation that doesn't involve a dissenting point of view but merely an antagonistic flamer) doesn't reflect well on the owners of this joint.