PDA

View Full Version : Bongfai Phayanak

TrongpaiExpat
October 29th, 2007, 21:33
The BF and I spent last week in Nong Khai Province. One of the reasons for the trip was to witness the phenomena Bongfai Phayanak or also called Naga Fire Balls emerging from the Maekong. There are festivals all along the Maekong in the Province for this event. There was a movie (2002) titled in English 'Maekong Full Moon Party' or in Thai something like "The Fifteenth Waxing of the Eleventh Lunar Month' that has made this event popular outside of the Province. The mythology is that a Naga resides in the river and emits fire balls. It's really methane gas burping from the river when the water cools.

We spent a few nights at the Pantawee Hotel (http://thailand.pantawee.com/) The exterior and lobby of this hotel look new and quite nice but the rooms are worn and basic but clean. Free in room computer was a nice touch as was free off street parking. At 600 B per night it's a good buy but I had to pay the "Festival Rate", 1,200. Pantawee is gay owned, they advertise in a some gay magazines but is not a gay hotel. In fact we were probable the only gay guests. All the area hotels double their rate for the Bongfai Phyanak and other close out booking all together for tour groups.

We went to the center of the event, Phon Phisai, a little town on the river where there's a good chance of seeing the phenomena. The city of Nong Khai also has a festival but we were told that Pon Phisai is the best place to go. We left the city of Nong Khai at 1300 to get ahead of the traffic and pick out a good place on the river bank. The small town gets inundated with people from all over. Getting in was easy, I feared getting out would be a problem but the Province police did a very good job and opened both lanes on the road out and closed all the intersections all the way back to Nong Khai.

There is a river bank walkway and the whole area is turned into a party zone. Fireworks displays, floating lighted big boats with chanting monks, thousands of little ktong boast with lit candles drift down the river, lit kites, and music. We bought a mat picked out a nice spot and had a picnic. Ch. 7 was giving on the scene reports and a few movie stars made appearances representing Nokia. Food stalls were every where.

We waited and waited and looked and looked. Then all of a sudden, while I was working on a piece of roasted chicken, the crowd let out a collective Ahaa--Ooo and I sprang to my feet but missed it. One little white puff of light was all it was, I was told. I sat back down. There was another reaction from the spectators but turned out to be a false alarm. When 10pm came around we decided to pack it in and call it a night.

I may not have actually witness the Bonfai Phaynak but the trip was not a total bust. The party was fun, the food good and it was nice to find this little town on the Maekong and I might come back someday when there are no crowds and just chill out on the Maekong. There are a few interesting guest houses right on the river.

dave_tf-old
October 30th, 2007, 04:37
Any excuse for a party is a good one. Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading it as I always have.

Bob
October 30th, 2007, 05:03
Yep, sounds like fun to me too - and thanks for the report, TP. Checked one of the maps and it looks like Phon Phisai is about 30-35 kilometers east/northeast of Nong Khai along Road/Highway 212. Think I drove by there last November although the only balls of fire I was checking out at the time belonged to the cute thai guy in the back of the pickup I was riding in at the time.

When/if I begin long stretches of residency time in LOS, the Naga Ball party is one of my priorities. I suspect that the amount of fire balls that one actually sees is directly related to the quantity of Songsam imbibed. I'll do my best.

TrongpaiExpat
October 30th, 2007, 13:27
Next time your in Nong Khai don't miss the Sala Kaew Sculpture Park. Built by a local "reputed homosexual" after falling in a hole who emerged with a vision. The park is surreal, bizarre and puzzling. What on earth is the meaning of a pack of anthropomorphic dogs with large erect penises chasing a elephant symbolize?

Sala Khai Sculpture Park (http://www.mutmee.com/030010_sculpture_park.htm)

Sen Yai
October 30th, 2007, 13:33
What on earth is the meaning of a pack of anthropomorphic dogs with large erect penises chasing a elephant symbolize?

The recent treatment of Bad Boy Billy by certain board members?

October 30th, 2007, 14:00
Bad Boy Billy created his own problems and we reacted the way we should have. But this is off subject. Anytime one has a chance to visit up country the trip can be an eye opener. There is such natural beauty to see and the people are such delights. I have only done a little traveling during my trips to LOS but always enjoy the waterfalls and farmming areas. During my earlier trips the one thing that kept me from traveling more were the squat toilets but now most hotels have the western bathrooms.

TrongpaiExpat
October 30th, 2007, 14:47
During my earlier trips the one thing that kept me from traveling more were the squat toilets but now most hotels have the western bathrooms.

Yes in the better hotels.

Not many gas stations though have the western toilet.

After slipping off once and hitting my head I got an idea that is still in the development and implementation stages:

Something like this The Phillips Toilet (http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/9608/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Bizrate-_-Phillips%20Products-_-9608-38191&mr:referralID=e30bb19f-8233-4cdd-b65c-c8de2a40c27e) take the bag out and put the legs on top of the squatter and have a seat. At 99.99USD, I am still working on a cheaper option.

There should just be a simple squat seat extender, something that you can open and put over the hole, have a seat and fold it up when finished.
Maybe just a toilet seat, remove the lid and get 4 screw on legs.

Sen Yai
October 30th, 2007, 15:44
After slipping off once and hitting my head I got an idea that is still in the development and implementation stages:

Something like this The Phillips Toilet (http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/9608/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Bizrate-_-Phillips%20Products-_-9608-38191&mr:referralID=e30bb19f-8233-4cdd-b65c-c8de2a40c27e) take the bag out and put the legs on top of the squatter and have a seat. At 99.99USD, I am still working on a cheaper option.

There should just be a simple squat seat extender, something that you can open and put over the hole, have a seat and fold it up when finished.
Maybe just a toilet seat, remove the lid and get 4 screw on legs.

Try this one: www.amazon.com/Portable-Camp-Toilet/ (http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Camp-Toilet/dp/B000CN9CN6) just $16.99!

......or in the great outdoors try Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper (http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm) :cyclopsani:

TrongpaiExpat
October 30th, 2007, 19:36
That's 16.99 used! I guess that would work, remove the bag and aim it over the squarter but it's not very portable looking, can't fit in the overhead of an airplane.

59.95 for the bumber dumper is too much and not portable either.

Looking for something discrete, light weight, easy to carry and packable.

October 30th, 2007, 19:48
Looking for something discrete, light weight, easy to carry and packable.Is that an offer? I'm not sure that you and I would be very compatible traveling companions

Bob
October 31st, 2007, 05:52
TrongpaiExpat....yep, I made the rounds there too. Strange friggin' park and there are many stone sculptures there (some 10+ meters high) that are even more bizzare than the horney doggies surrounding the elephant. I figure that a healthy dose of crystal meth might help you "understand" the significance of some of the sculptures (or at least it couldn't hurt). A couple of examples:

October 31st, 2007, 11:57
TrongpaiExpat....yep, I made the rounds there too. Strange friggin' park and there are many stone sculptures there (some 10+ meters high) that are even more bizzare than the horney doggies surrounding the elephant. I figure that a healthy dose of crystal meth might help you "understand" the significance of some of the sculptures (or at least it couldn't hurt). A couple of examples:

Wat Khaek or Sala Kaew Koo
is about 3 km. from Nong Khai on the "Nong Khai to Phon Phi Sai" road. It is an strangely unique place with numerous sculptures according to Buddhist, Animist and Brahman beliefs but well worth spending some times there. Sala Kaew Koo is not a Buddhist temple. There is no monks in saffron robe inside. The hall for sermons and the garden contain many statues mixing Buddhist, Animist and Brahman influences.

In 1975 founded by exile Laotian “Luang Phu Ban Leua Surirat” after he fleet Laos. He wasn’t a Buddhist monk. Most statues have been paid by donations to “Luang Phu Ban Leua Surirat” were built during 1977 and 1978. During all his life, “Luang Phu Ban Leua Surirat” added new statues to his temple

A restoration society was established to ensure that the temple grounds are well maintained and the statues kept free of mould and in good state. The Sala is a very green place with many plants. Green plants are sold there. There is also a small entrance fee.

In Vientiane, capital of Laos, there is a very similar Religion park. “Luang Phu Ban Leua Surirat” has built this garden, called "Wat Xieng Khuan", in Laos.