PDA

View Full Version : Latest Pattaya Immigration outrageous requirements

October 28th, 2007, 17:45
jeepholt on www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)

I just received this notice in the Pattaya City Expats Club Newsletter - Oct. 21 to Oct 28, 2007:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW VISA RULES CHANGES - Pattaya Immigration bureau has introduced the following rules regarding one year VisaтАЩs and extensions of VisaтАЩs.

Applicants for one year retirement visas must now show and make copies of the back and front of any currently valid ATM or credit card issued in their name. The copies must be signed by the applicant. It does not matter whether the card was issued in Thailand or overseas. This is intended as a further check on an applicant's financial health.

Applicants for extensions on short visas, for example a request for the maximum allowed 7 days on a тАЬVisa on ArrivalтАЭ or for the maximum 30 days on a тАЬ60 day Tourist VisaтАЭ issued abroad, must now show proof of their onward travel plans after the extension has expired, by having in their possession an air or electronic airline ticket, or a bus ticket with clear dates printed on it. This requirement is to assure Immigration that the visa holder does indeed plan to leave Thailand at the expiration of his extension. This information is also on the PCEC website at http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/modul...le&sid=1039

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comment on Thursday experience at Jomtien:
I went to renew my retirement extension yesterday at Jomtien (Thursday). I used the money in bank rule again (800K) and not the monthly income rule. I was not asked to show any credit cards which are the only way I bring money into Thailand, nor any credit card receipts. Which is probably a good thing, because I don't know about you guys, but doesn't something look really shaky about the above statement about making copies of your credit cards? What could be easier than this for someone to use that information to commit credit card fraud and identity fraud? I also had my money in a "Joint Account" and was asked for a copy of my marriage certificate to prove who the other name was on my "joint account". I was worried about the joint account being questioned since this is the first time I ever used the joint account at immigration, and thought they may require me to have double the money in the account with my Thai wife. They didn't THIS time luckily, since I wanted to use that account as emergency funds in case I get thrown in the hospital or jail. My circumstances may be different than some since I MAY have some sort of "grandfathering" in effect since I've been here for 38 years now, but if these requirements listed above are legitimate for credit card/ATM card copies, then I can REALLY see big problems. I don't see any way I would ever give copies of my credit cards (front AND back) to ANYONE, let alone our ever friendly immigration offices!

Jingthing also wrote
What will they want next? Our kidneys?
Another good business idea: sell KY and vaseline outside the immigration offices to hopeful applicants looking to ease the pain.
This post has been edited by Jingthing: 2007-10-26 16:45:19

October 28th, 2007, 19:17
This is actually not really new procedure. While bordering Thailand, the immigration is ordered to check return ticket or otherwise refuse any entry. This happened if there are doubts that people asking for entry are sound. There is also a minimum cash requirement too. The requests are reasonable too.

Annoying is that any officer is reading the "book of rules" differently. I’ve never ever been asked to show my tickets or money at immigration. But I have seen people stranded at friendship border, with exit stamp from Laos but refused entry stamp for Thailand, which was totally acceptable for many reasons.

There is nothing wrong with photo copying your CC card. They doing it at many hotels after check in or asking details prior reservations.

At immigration office I would clear the small security code on card side and report the card missing after the visa has been added to passport. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually, before someone starts criticising Thai immigration procedures, he might thing about the reverse position, a Thai person turning up at an European or US border, demanding entry. The behaviour of border police in many countries is just in acceptable. In Thailand, there are usually very friendly and supporting.

October 29th, 2007, 20:04
Pattaymail posted on Gay Thailand:

"I went to immigration today since my retirement visa expires Nov 2. I wanted to make sure I knew from them what was needed. I was told I just needed the letter for US embasy for my pension and a letter from the bank showing that I have a Thai account and fill out the form they gave me. I asked about the stamp from the foreign ministry and the credit card copies. They said neither were needed, I guess I will find out for sure Nov. 2"

Bob
October 30th, 2007, 05:08
Tom, there's a big difference from providing a credit card to a hotel (hey, they're just trying to make sure they get paid) and giving a copy of both sides of it (the back side has your signature and the magic pin number) to somebody else. Absent losing a good gunfight, I'm not giving that information to immigration anytime.

October 30th, 2007, 14:56
Tom, there's a big difference from providing a credit card to a hotel (hey, they're just trying to make sure they get paid) and giving a copy of both sides of it (the back side has your signature and the magic pin number) to somebody else. Absent losing a good gunfight, I'm not giving that information to immigration anytime.

It might be rather wise to provide a own copy of cc card (with none pin number) to immigration police in Thailand than handing the card over for payments at any hotel, restaurant etc., or even worse, send data via Internet.

If I would need to show any other card, like AMEX or so, I would just provide them with an copy (again with crossed out pin). If you are familiar with Thai systems, your rectification of any copied documents by hand signing is required; therefore is always a chance to delete the pin on time – which is the one and only critical information on cc card. Just in case I would cancel the card immediately afterwards, and order a new one which will arrive in nearly no time – with different card details.

Again, I’ve never been asked to provide any cc card at Thai immigration anyway. I just asked around. Most people I know where indeed surprised and confirmed they never haven’t been asked to provide any cc details, but all found that the immigration procedures have improved a lot and it’s very relaxed now.

The immigration officers must have had a reason for this request.

And even if so, I would use my Thai eVisa which is linked with one of my bank accounts – and this account does have a ridged limit for max pay-outs and also SMS alert.

Actually for entry visa to US and now several other so called civilised countries, the requirements in Thailand are very close to nothing.

-------------

Another thing is, paying respect to the officials doesn't do any harm.

Turning up, loud and smelling of sweat after a short night and warring the scruffy apparels or expensive “looking” jewellery, the officers will have any reason to think twice, especially if there is already a record showing more than just entry visa details availible.

Rich or influential people usually dont waist time or turn up at the immigration after there mandatory first report any more; they let good lawyers handle this.

If you want some extra chash from your bank, you usually look smart, turn up calm and all awake. Why not trying the same at the immigration office? Being friendly doesn’t costs anything but helps a lot. The officers do just what they are being trained for and following orders. Showing some respect will always be appreciated.

I must admit, during many years, I never ever had any problems with officials in Thailand. Even if things took time while turned out complicated, they always tried to assist me with great flexibility at any request.

kittyboy
October 31st, 2007, 02:40
I am hoping to visit thailand this summer for 8-10 weeks. My previous visits were generally much shorter - 3-4 weeks. When I visited in the past I think I got a 30 day visa on entry. Is it possible to get say a 60 or 90 day visa on entry? If so how does one go about getting a longer tourist visa? I have looked online but there is so much crap on the internet I can not figure it out.

Thanks

Mark

October 31st, 2007, 03:21
No big problem!
You can only get 30 days without a visa.
However, what you need is a tourist visa.
With this you can stay for 60 days and then if you need to stay as long as 30 days longer you go to a Thai immigration office in Thailand and get a 30 day extension as long as you can show your air ticket out of Thailand before the end of that last 30 days.

Here is your consulate in Chicago

http://thaichicago.net/

You can find out how to apply for your visa there and also call them. You can either mail in your passport, application, and money or take a trip to Chicago to do this.

Oh, one important thing. Do not apply for your visa too early. It is only good to start to use for 90 days after it is granted. So if you get the visa over 3 months before your trip, your visa will be void even before you arrive. This can be confusing. The 90 days is how long the visa is valid to start to use, 60 days is how long the visa is good for once it is activated by entering Thailand.

You could also apply for a double entry tourist visa but these are harder to get now. With this you stay 60 days the first time, and then take a trip outside Thailand like to Malaysia, and enter again as soon as you want which activates the second entry, another 60 days. You can apply for a pay for the 2 entries and if they decline it, they will give you one entry anyway.

Have a great trip.

Here is what Chicago requires for a tourist visa:

Tourist Visa

Qualification of person who apply Tourist visa

* Having the objective of the entrant as a tourist or seeking entrance as a patient requiring medical treatment in the Kingdom not over 60 days.
(in case of necessary reason, extension of stay not over 30 days can be done at Immigration Office)
* Having genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport.
* Not be a person who is excluded from entering into the Kingdom under section 12, Section 14 and Section 16 of Immigration Act B.C. 2522 (A.D. 1979).
* Travelers over 12 years of age must have in hand money or bond transferable into Thai currency at least 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family.

Documents requirement for apply Tourist visa.

* Documents needed;
o Two photograph (size 2тАЭ x 2тАЭ color or black & white).
o Valid passport and having at least one visa blank page.
o Copy of flight Itenary.
* A visa application form be duly filled in and signed by applicant.
* Fee $25.00 per one entry.
* If submitting by mail, a self - addressed envelope as well as sufficient postage for the return of passport by certified mail is required.
* Additional documents requirement for some nationalities;
o Traveler who holds U.S. Re-enter Permit
+ Two copies of permanent resident alien card.
+ Two copies of confirmation round trip air ticket.

o Holder of following nationsтАЩ passports or traveler who holds U.S. Refugee Travel Document and has following nationalities;

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the PeopleтАЩs Republic of China, the PeopleтАЩs Republic of Korea, Nigeria, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Palestine, Syria, Sudan, Syria, Yemen.

+ 3 copies of passport identification page and extended validity page.
+ 3 completed and signed application forms.
+ 3 passport-sized photographs taken within 6 months.
+ 3 photocopies of Permanent Resident Alien Card.
+ A letter of recommendation (plus two photocopies) from employer and/or invitation from host company in Thailand along with 3 copies of company's letter of registration.
+ 3 copies of confirmed round trip ticket.

jimnbkk
October 31st, 2007, 03:49
In case anybody's interested, the Pattaya Immigration Bureau has a website. I'm not sure if they keep it accurate, but it may be able to resolve some of the discussions going on here!! The website is: http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/index.php?lang=EN

The map is lousy. It's on Soi 5, next door to the View Talay Residence 4.

November 2nd, 2007, 13:27
Pattaymail posted on Gay Thailand:

"I went to immigration today since my retirement visa expires Nov 2. I wanted to make sure I knew from them what was needed. I was told I just needed the letter for US embasy for my pension and a letter from the bank showing that I have a Thai account and fill out the form they gave me. I asked about the stamp from the foreign ministry and the credit card copies. They said neither were needed, I guess I will find out for sure Nov. 2"

Today, I went to renew my retirement visa. I also had my retirement visa transfered to my new passport. No problem at all. I just presented my pension letter from the US embassy, a letter from the bank saying I had an account, and the TM 7 form. However, they DID ask for a copy of my ATM card front and back. This was different than what they told me I needed a few days ago. I told them I was not comfortable giving a card with all the numbers. I asked if I could cross out some numbers. They said "up to you". So I went outside and made a copy of the front and back and took a pen and blocked the 3digit security code AND the last 2 numbers of the account number from the front and back. I took the copy back in and they said "ok". I then waited for all the different stamps they placed in the old and then the new passport. No problems. I did not need the pension letter stamped by the foreign ministry. the whole process at immigation including waiting for my number to be called was 40 minutes.

November 2nd, 2007, 14:15
Nice report. Did you get to keep your letter from the u.s. embassy?

November 2nd, 2007, 15:36
Nice report. Did you get to keep your letter from the u.s. embassy?

I forgot to ask for it back!!! I do go Monday to pick up the completed passport and will ask.

November 2nd, 2007, 18:23
Why do you have to go back to collect the passport? Don't they finish everything in one go? I've never had to make two visits to renew my retirement visa...

Since this is my first renewal I don't know why this is different from your experience. I do know that those that renewed today were given a slip with a number and told to come back. When I use to get an extension for my 60 day visa I always was given a number and told to come back after 3pm that same day.

November 2nd, 2007, 22:50
Both times I got my retirement extension at Jomtien Immigrations (Oct '06, and Oct '07) I had to return the next morning to retrieve my passport. I submitted my documents in the mid-afternoon each time.

A friend of mine who applied for an extension in the morning, was told to return in the afternoon to retrieve his passport.

Mai pen rai?

Also this year, they are saying they need to keep the original embassy letter and that we will need a fresh, current embassy letter each year from now on.

November 3rd, 2007, 00:55
I have had to go back again to get the passport. No big deal if you live in Jomtien.