PDA

View Full Version : BKK Hotels

October 27th, 2007, 21:21
Can anyone recommend a good value BKK hotel that is clean, has ensuite & is OK with joiners?

How about the following place ?
http://www.vincentsbangkok.com/

I'll pay the 2000+ baht for some of the places recommended in other posts, if really necessary.
However, firstly does anyone have good experiences with cheaper rooms?

J

Dick
October 27th, 2007, 22:05
Vincents is a very good choice... if they have vacancies for the period you want.
Across the road is the Pinnacle. Many rate this as exceptionally good value too.
You don't need look further!
Both are a short walk to the Metro and hence Skytrain, or cabs/motorbikes easily available. 7/11, internet cafe, and ATM a minutes walk away. Silom is a 10min walk but you have to negotiate a major road junction, so best take the Metro 1 stop to Silom.
Some swear by the Malaysia, but it has a poor reputation and your boy will feel he looses face by going there as its where many 'tarts' hang out.

October 28th, 2007, 05:59
Thanks.
Are both hotels OK with guests?
J

October 28th, 2007, 07:02
Thanks.
Are both hotels OK with guests?
J

Ohh yesss ... :flower:

October 28th, 2007, 12:49
Pinnacle is charging 500 baht joiners fee now.

Sen Yai
October 28th, 2007, 13:03
They don't charge the fee if both guests sign in at the same time in a double room, from very recent experience.

Why would they? In that case, neither guest is a joiner.

October 28th, 2007, 13:09
To make money and to make the hotel feel more classy so they can eventually raise room rates.

Sen Yai
October 28th, 2007, 13:15
To make money and to make the hotel feel more classy so they can eventually raise room rates.
Only if your partner is low class!

October 28th, 2007, 17:10
Thanks for the advice.
The Pinnacle joiners policy seems quite unfair & likely to discourage custom.
This is about a 40% hike in the costs, just because your room mate does not check in at the same time.
I'm intending to go straight from the airport to the hotel & therefore any guests would arrive later.
If the customer is already paying for a double room, it seems quite reasonable to refuse to pay the charge.

I will check out your other recommendations.
Also, does the Unico Grand charge a joiners fee?

FYI: The booking page on Dragoncastle does not appear to be a "secure" page.

J

Sen Yai
October 28th, 2007, 17:46
Thanks for the advice.
This is about a 40% hike in the costs, just because your room mate does not check in at the same time.
I'm intending to go straight from the airport to the hotel & therefore any guests would arrive later.
If the customer is already paying for a double room, it seems quite reasonable to refuse to pay the charge.

z909, Joiner's fees are charged to discourage (or at least compensate for) prostitutes being brought back to the hotel. If your 'room mate' is a genuine paying guest then there should be no problem of joiners fees if he checks in late. Explain this when you check-in (or even when you make the booking) and there should be no problem. You wouldn't expect a husband and wife to be charged a joiners fee if one or other arrives later. The same applies to gay couples, if both register at reception.

There is always confusion here when someone asks if a certain hotel is 'Gay friendly'. I don't think any hotel in Thailand would care about a gay couple staying in a room. However some hotels try to discourage rent boys (or girls) being brought back.

October 28th, 2007, 18:56
Thanks for the advice.

z909, Joiner's fees are charged to discourage (or at least compensate for) prostitutes being brought back to the hotel. If your 'room mate' is a genuine paying guest then there should be no problem of joiners fees if he checks in late. Explain this when you check-in (or even when you make the booking) and there should be no problem. You wouldn't expect a husband and wife to be charged a joiners fee if one or other arrives later. The same applies to gay couples, if both register at reception.

There is always confusion here when someone asks if a certain hotel is 'Gay friendly'. I don't think any hotel in Thailand would care about a gay couple staying in a room. However some hotels try to discourage rent boys (or girls) being brought back.

I agree to most parts.

There are some hotels, where gay people have been send away. One of those is the is the Opera, just off New Pechtburi road (close to Pantip). For many years this use to be an easy going middle class hotel. But with the new young manager, no gay guests where allowed anymore. I recommended friends the Reno Hotel which is close by. Gay guest used to raise eyebrows at the Reno Hotel some time ago but at least cince 2005 no more.

There are still reservation against gay people in Thailand as well. Be aware about that. Ant people do not like any trouble. If there are rejections, some are just unsure who to handle the situation without loosing face - on both sides. But at the Opera even frequent gay guests where deliberately refused.

Another example: There are obviously some hotel, like the Narai Hotel on Silom who are definitely not gay friendly at all. But the Triple Two just across the side road is very gay friendly. Both hotels belong to the same owners but management style is totally different.

Much is pending on appearance of guests too. Behaviour of some people is questionable; I would check them in gay or not. Those people would never behave like this at home, but try some monkey business misjudging any situation in Thailand totally.

October 29th, 2007, 01:48
Om Yim is booked.
Any other ideas for good value, clean places close to the action, with no joiners fee?

J

krobbie
October 29th, 2007, 01:59
I am going to sound like a broken record but there are good prices right now at The Rose Hotel. All rooms recently upgraded, and new pool and small gym in place.

I am staying at the Rose in January and my dealing s with the management have been very positive, even about my bf coming on different flight therefore will book in at a different time to me.

Doesn't seem to be joiners, but ask point blank in your email to them. It can't hurt.

They are located in a very handy position. That no-one can disagree with.

There is a thread on hear so search Rose hotel and you will get them all.

For now here is the web site address.

http://www.rosehotelbkk.com/overview.html

Good luck and have a great time,
krobbie

October 30th, 2007, 06:22
Thanks for the advice.
I e-mailed the Rose with an enquiry, not asking about any particular size of room.
Got a reply RESERVING a single room, with "Queen Size Bed" & confirmation of no joiners fee. 1700 baht.
Are the "single" rooms OK?

In other countries, I normally book a double to keep the moral high ground regarding guests.
However, will take their kind offer of a single if the room's OK.

J

Brad the Impala
October 30th, 2007, 16:38
Thanks for the advice.
I e-mailed the Rose with an enquiry, not asking about any particular size of room.
Got a reply RESERVING a single room, with "Queen Size Bed" & confirmation of no joiners fee. 1700 baht.
Are the "single" rooms OK?

In other countries, I normally book a double to keep the moral high ground regarding guests.
However, will take their kind offer of a single if the room's OK.

J

If you sleep alone in a single room at The Rose, they think you must be a pervert!

October 31st, 2007, 01:24
The best hotel, as well as the best hotel bargain in Bangkok, a place that has been used on countless occasions for movies and as a location setting for very high class photo shoots for leading fashion magazines around the world is The Atlanta Hotel.
This is as good as you will get anywhere in Bangkok. And your BF, even those from well to do families, will not be at all embarrassed by any tarts or rent boys sitting around the premises making your life miserable like so many other places that have a hard time controlling this sleazy trade.
Book it here: http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

Brad the Impala
October 31st, 2007, 02:01
Bangkok's Historic Hotel & Institution
Bastion of wholesome, culturally sensitive & eco-aware tourism
sex tourists not welcome
zero tolerance of
trouble-makers, all illegal activities including possession or use of illicit drugs

This might possibly discourage some of our posters!

October 31st, 2007, 02:23
This hotel is for so many here who express dismay at places like the Malaysia.

How many times have I heard someone here say that a "proper", well-educated, high-class and wealthy rent boy, that are the only kind they associate with, would be embarrassed to enter many of the less "respectable" hotels in Bangkok.

In reading all that pompous and pretentious commentary, I only tried to help them out with their stated delusions of grandeur.

So am I to now assume that you are just a bunch of sluts after all? And I thought I was dealing with royalty! Do tell!

October 31st, 2007, 03:01
The Rose hotel have confirmed in writing that the single room has a Queen size bed, is suitable for 1 or 2 people & no joiner fee applies.
Congratulations to them on this clear & broad minded policy.

J

Up2U
October 31st, 2007, 03:44
Om Yim is booked.
Any other ideas for good value, clean places close to the action, with no joiners fee?

J

I've stayed at the Om Yim, Tarntawan, Le Residence, Pinnacle, Sala Daeng Place, etc. If you don't require a pool or a lift you have made a good choice for a hotel. Look no further, it's a bargain.

krobbie
October 31st, 2007, 05:42
The Rose hotel have confirmed in writing that the single room has a Queen size bed, is suitable for 1 or 2 people & no joiner fee applies.
Congratulations to them on this clear & broad minded policy.

J

z909, at the Rose the single room means that there is just the one large bed. A double room is in fact a twin room elsewhere or so I believe.

I will be interested in your critique, as I will be there in mid January.

Cheers
Krobbie

October 31st, 2007, 10:35
The Atlanter Hotel

тАЬThose who object to this policy, and those who wish to spend their time in Thailand whoring, indulging in alcohol abuse, drugs or other illegal activities should stay elsewhere.тАЭ

That's me banned then. Well, at least for the first two,and would that apply to the majority of our readers ?

тАЬGuests who attempt to bring in bargirls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave.тАЭ

I love that word 'catamite', which Wat (the nearest to a pagan temple) will they be available from?

October 31st, 2007, 12:29
There are no "proper", well-educated, high-class and wealthy rent boys .. LOL. However, there ARE Well-educated, NON rent boy thai guys Who WOULD not like staying there. And I wouldn't blame them. Nothing "POMPOUS" about it. The place is a dump.

October 31st, 2007, 13:41
JakeNasty, when I am with my well-educated, high-class, NON money boy, from a wealthy family, I usually stay at their palace not the likes of these tacky places rife with poofs! And if the palace isn't available due to visiting royalty then I stay at the Oriental or even the Hilton across the river which I have recently tried and liked.

But the fact of the matter is that many writing here are into slumming. And that's just fine, if not in fact delightful, as long as you are not hypocritical about it.

krobbie
October 31st, 2007, 13:47
... get over yourself.

October 31st, 2007, 14:32
Krobbie, it is very easy for me to get over myself at the Oriental or Hilton.
Here I am at the Hilton with my BF who is well-educated, wealthy, high-class and beautiful! The palace his family lives in was otherwise overflowing with their equally high-class and super-rich friends, many of whom flew in on their private jets, and hence we had to lower our standards and stay at a suite at the Hilton! Nevertheless, this isn't quite slumming.

Sometime you may even spot us among the pretentious poofs elsewhere in BKK though, just for a good laugh!

Sorry I have obscured my friend's face, we cherish our privacy. Maybe you can get interpol to unscramble it!

Ta-ta touch hole!

krobbie
October 31st, 2007, 16:07
doesn't the river look so much brighter and lovelier from atop your modest digs?

Well, brown is really, just brown, no matter how high up you are.

I hope you enjoy your very Hi-so vacation. Us declasse plebs will just have to muddle along having a simply awful and tasteless time.

I'm sure I'll think up something to do in upper Suriwongsee.

Cheers
krobbie :sex:

October 31st, 2007, 16:27
Krobbie, you better stick to your sheep in NZ!

I live here, and in fairly modest surroundings for my station in life. I am not known for pretense of any kind and it is that too that makes me so popular on this board.

However, when the family of my BF picks up the tab for our little flings when they have run out of space at their palace, I am not one to decline their gracious generosity! Do you think I should? Wouldn't that be "looking a gift-sheep in the mouth"?

I'll really get you bent out of shape when I now inform you that we have a family car and driver at our disposal and our own staff also billeted here at the Hilton on a lower floor. The Hilton has also kindly provided us with a private boat.

Again, Ta-ta!

October 31st, 2007, 23:16
An earlier posting indicated The Rose was in a very "handy" location.
I am only familiar with the bar areas very close to the Tarnatawan Hotel. Is the Rose within walking distance of this area?

And how far away is the cruising areas near the Royal Palace? The postings on this subject never indicate the distance or difficulty in getting to that area.

My second trip puts me in BKK in three weeks. My previous few days were either in bars or beds and outside on the streets I was always lost. Thus the ignorance with geography, but it was fun.

October 31st, 2007, 23:46
An earlier posting indicated The Rose was in a very "handy" location.
I am only familiar with the bar areas very close to the Tarnatawan Hotel. Is the Rose within walking distance of this area?

The Rose is practically opposite the Tarntawan Place Hotel.

October 31st, 2007, 23:55
it is that too that makes me so popular on this board.

Careful you don't bang your head as you go through the doorway, it's only a metre wide:
Hey they are singing your song!!!!

Oh Lord It`s Hard To Be Humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a queen.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.
I used to have a boyfriend
but he just couldn't compete
with all of these love starved men
who keep clamoring at my feet.
Well I prob'ly could find me another
but I guess they're all in awe of me.
Who cares, I never get lonesome
cause I treasure my own company.
when you're perfect in every way,
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a queen.
but I'm doing the best that I can.
I guess you could say I'm a loner,
a queenie tough and proud.
I could have lots of friends if I want to
but then I wouldn't stand out from the crowd.
Some folks say that I'm egotistical.
Hell, I don't even know what that means.
I guess it has something to do with the way that I
fill out my skin tight blue jeans.
:bounce: :bom:

krobbie
November 1st, 2007, 01:20
I can see how popular you are already. I'm in positive AWE!

November 1st, 2007, 02:58
A band of pompous and pretentious pooftas.

The minute you run into someone who stands up to your delusional fantasies, your holier-than-thou attitudes, you become like a pack of mad raving dogs fighting of an old bone.

Ta-ta!

Smiles
November 1st, 2007, 03:28
" ... pompous and pretentious poofta ... delusional fantasies ... holier-than-thou attitudes ... "
What?? Hedda has snuck back on the Board without me knowing it? Damn!

Cheerio ... :cyclops:

Bob
November 2nd, 2007, 04:04
The Rose is practically opposite the Tarntawan Place Hotel.

To assist in directions, the Ramada is right across the street (Suriwong) from the Tarntawan. To get to the Rose, you'd go
about 80 meters east along Suriwong and then about 75 meters up the soi off the north side of Suriwong.

November 2nd, 2007, 05:31
Little update - The Tawana Ramada has changed name and is now known only as The Tawana Bangkok http://www.tawanahotel.com/. If they change their joiners policy policy it could become a very popular hotel.

The merry-go-round of hotels in Bangkok always changing names and operators!

bucknaway
November 2nd, 2007, 14:58
The guys I met who are staying at the Tawana tell me that there is a joiners fee. I think he said it was either 600b or 800b

Aunty
November 2nd, 2007, 15:51
The palace his family lives in was otherwise overflowing with their equally high-class and super-rich friends, many of whom flew in on their private jets, and hence we had to lower our standards and stay at a suite at the Hilton!

I see. So what you are saying is that they tossed out the grubby social climbing lo-so Nancy 'friend' of their son, to accommodate their genuine ho-so friends. I imagine it was to save the family any embarrassment, you know how the Thai are about keeping face. We can certainly see where you fit into their world. LMFAO.