View Full Version : Eating Fresh Fruit? Can I eat the grapes?

bucknaway
October 27th, 2007, 03:03
I am wondering if I can buy some of the fresh fruit the sell on the street. I would like to buy some of the grapes they sell. If I wash them with bottoled water can I eat them and not get sick?

October 27th, 2007, 03:38
I tend to wash them in slightly soapy water, then rinse them off with bottled water. With the fruit on the beach, as they have been handling it with their hands after it has been peeled, I tend to swill it with bottled water. However, if you are grape eating off the street then you wont have anywhere to wash the grapes apart from the bottled water, and in my opinion that is not enough, although it is better than using no water at all.

Jetsam
October 27th, 2007, 03:39
yeah sure why not, as long as u wash it with fresh water as u said.

Brad the Impala
October 27th, 2007, 03:41
You've surely eaten everything eaten everything else by now, I am sure the grapes will be fine!!

Bob
October 27th, 2007, 03:57
Buck, if you go back and read your post, imagining it was written by somebody else, even you would think "geez, what a wuss!" What would give you the clue that anybody here might possibly have knowledge about the safety of eating grapes on the streets of Pattaya?

If you knew how many disgusting bacteria and viruses you come across - and eat (even at home) - every day, I think you'd become a solitary monk at the north pole (but, remember, some penguin probably pissed on that yellow snow!).
If you looked at your hands under a microscope even after washing them, you wouldn't allow yourself to touch you..

I'd suggest you (and I and everyone else here) engage in a little more potentially dangerous behaviors than eating Pattaya street grapes. Here's a Babylon guy worrying about the safety of eating grapes. Again, GEEZ!

krobbie
October 27th, 2007, 04:38
Buck, when did you become so particular about what you put in your mouth? I think the gathering on this forum will agree ... the grapes are the least of your worries.

Just wash with your water and eat. You don't have to eat the skins of course and by that I don't mean peel them. You can squeeze the 'meat' into your mouth between thumb and forefinger. Me ... just wash with water and eat, skins and all.

Cheers and happy eating,
krobbie

allieb
October 27th, 2007, 04:59
Iv'e eaten so much arse in Thailand I wouldn't wory about eating any kind of street food. I s this a joke or what.

dab69
October 27th, 2007, 05:25
i remember overpaying horribly for grapes in bangkok (petchaburi)
but wouldn't have thought to rinse them

never got sick

Wesley
October 27th, 2007, 05:37
I eat fresh fruit all across Asia, I don't worry about getting sick I just eat as the locals do, in ten years I have had food poisoning twice and spending 9 months at a time in Asia. Both times it was in up scale restaurants tat made me sick. God you never know what goes on in the kitchen of any restaurant and I tip well at regular places to make sure they don.t piss on my food. As an American you can never be to careful now days.

Wesley

francois
October 27th, 2007, 06:30
Washing fruit is the wisest thing to do. Especially fruit or vegetables such as melons and tomatoes that come in contact with the soil and thus human and animal waste. There are cases where bacteria on the outside of a melon being transferred to the inside by cutting with a knife. Of course any fruit touched by humans has the potential to contain harmful bacteria. Most likely grapes are the least likely to have bacteria on their surfaces. Having said that I have seen women in the supermarche inspecting every grape in a bunch with their hands and rejecting some of them.
Like others I have been sick from food only that was prepared in a restaurant.

Aunty
October 27th, 2007, 06:31
I am wondering if I can buy some of the fresh fruit the sell on the street. I would like to buy some of the grapes they sell. If I wash them with bottoled water can I eat them and not get sick?

You do wash all those cocks you suck in Thailand with bottled water first I hope, don't you? As BBB would say, give yourself an uppercut, you big poof!

pronto
October 27th, 2007, 08:09
Again, GEEZ!
Ditto for me! I'm with Bob on this.

October 27th, 2007, 10:24
Supervisor, family, and I eat grapes often. We wash them well under running water and use a clean cloth for drying and keep them cool. We never have had any problems. In Thailand, grapes are an expensive delicacy, like apples.

Most grapes we buy come from Saraburi region and are quite nice.

Sometimes we buy some at supermarkets, i.e. Tops or Big C.

Otherwise with fruit in Thailand: Everything you can peel, peel! Especially apples or pears; there skin often contains lots of pesticides. And there are waxed too.

Supervisor is heavily in organically grown food. We grow some for our own and family use - and increasingly for some local shops and restaurants. It’s becoming a exceptional business.

bucknaway
October 27th, 2007, 11:24
i am asking because I seem to hare come down with a bit of a stomach problem. Earlier this year I had ecoli food poisoning which caused me to loose so much of my body size and I was still getting leaner and leaner each weerk up until my trip to Thailand. Now that i am here and after eating something that did not agree with me, my body has gone into purge again and I have a bit of a headache and a stuffed up head. it is strating to clear-up and there are some foods I want to eat and I want to know what I should do to make them safe to eat.

Buck, if you go back and read your post, imagining it was written by somebody else, even you would think "geez, what a wuss!" What would give you the clue that anybody here might possibly have knowledge about the safety of eating grapes on the streets of Pattaya?

If you knew how many disgusting bacteria and viruses you come across - and eat (even at home) - every day, I think you'd become a solitary monk at the north pole (but, remember, some penguin probably pissed on that yellow snow!).
If you looked at your hands under a microscope even after washing them, you wouldn't allow yourself to touch you..

I'd suggest you (and I and everyone else here) engage in a little more potentially dangerous behaviors than eating Pattaya street grapes. Here's a Babylon guy worrying about the safety of eating grapes. Again, GEEZ!

October 27th, 2007, 12:36
Is it a wonder this forum has surpassed 100 pages awhile ago? More useless threads like this and soon it will reach 200.
zzzzzzzzzzz

catawampuscat
October 27th, 2007, 13:08
You know Bucky is a bit obsessed with bucky and thinks it is appropriate to start threads every time a thought
pops into his head. Isn't everybody obsessed with bucky's body, bucky's sexlife and the every thought of bucky.?

Get with the program, Boogey or some will say you have issues. Of course, bucky knew he would get responses
like these and just adores when the topic is bucky. Bucky really only needs a big mirror and currently a toilet bowl
to really have an interesting time.. Wouldn't a bucky blog be the way to go.. :cat:

I am sure bucky feels like I do about this and can't imagine how anyone could be bored when the topic is so hot
and so sexy. You would think no one else has sex in Thailand or gets hits on every five minutes except bucky.. I'm
bored with bucky and bucky will be glad this will be my last time posting on this most interesting and vital topic... :cheers:

October 27th, 2007, 14:36
What really upsets me is that I took the time to read and respond to the thread in the first place. That doesn't say much for me either. First thing tomorrow I'm going to get a life. For now, I will read some more useless questions and answers. Cheers Cat.

October 27th, 2007, 19:36
... that the grapes are not sour

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 27th, 2007, 22:42
but have someone peel them for you first, just as Mae West did.

In fact you are reminding me of Mae West more and more everyday Bucknaway..ie : mad as a meataxe.

We should get together..I have a more than passing resemblance to W.C.Fields,

rincondog
October 27th, 2007, 22:56
enough said

francois
October 28th, 2007, 01:36
Ok, what about a grape joke?

What does a grape say when you step on it?
Nothing, it just gives out a little whine!

gumblebee
October 28th, 2007, 02:39
It's very important that the grapes are not sour

Are those the grapes for making Pisco Sour ? :drunken:

dave_tf-old
October 28th, 2007, 15:45
I think you should remove the skins with a sterilized scalpel. These are available at any corner medical supplies store, at least in the touristed areas. If you can't find one, a sterilized exacto knife can be substituted. Be sure after you remove the skin from one grape to resterilize the skin removing instrument of your choice and budget so as not to contaminate the next grape.

Some may argue you should bring your own from home (scalpels, not grapes) but ever since those pesky 'box-cutter' incidents, it's become difficult to smuggle kitchen and medical utensils.

I used to get sick regularly in Thailand until I switched to cheap Thai whiskey. Never felt better after that.

October 28th, 2007, 17:28
"Save a boy for a rainy day. Two, if its not raining" M.W.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 28th, 2007, 19:12
"I switched to cheap Thai whiskey"..it's not really whiskey is it..just rum. So no wonder you never felt better as it's alcohol content is piss weak.

October 29th, 2007, 11:27
You generally wash peel and cook food to get rid of and or neutralise faecal contamination. Buck's risks while playing with fire by having perfect strangers cocks fucking his mouth and anus at the same time are simply avoided by shoving on condoms, but eating grapes is a different kettle of fish altogether.
Bucks might be HIV positive and a bad grape could leave him in critical condition, even if he is not it could still do the same. I would avoid grapes off the street it's not worth the hassle, there are plenty of other wildly more mouth watering fruits to choose from, ones you can simply peel and eat, after you have washed your hands of course.

By the way, most people get contaminated by their own unwashed fingers, so remember finger fucking yourself or your causal encounter can lead to some unpleasant side affects, a surgical glove is recommended as faecal residue can remain under the finger nails. This is not such a kill joy idea, watch your little Bspecials eyes grow as you snap out your disposable rubber glove in the secure confines of your hotel room.

October 29th, 2007, 11:31
How would fecal material end up on a grape? They don't grow on the ground, after all, which is where fertilizer would be even (assuming that poo poo was being used).

October 29th, 2007, 11:48
We are all doomed to die.

netrix
October 29th, 2007, 11:49
skip the grapes...stick to eating the nuts.

October 29th, 2007, 11:55
How would fecal material end up on a grape? They don't grow on the ground, after all, which is where fertilizer would be even (assuming that poo poo was being used).

Most food is contaminated when handled not necessarily when grown. Even your grannies oatmeal squares can send you reeling to the WC to hurl and project the entire contents of your body fluids through both orifices at once. In any country time or place.
Street grapes might not have been washed and who knows how many delicate little fingers have caressed their plump loveliness after having first wiped their tiny pink arses, you do the same no doubt when you choose fruit. I squeeze them as there is nothing worse than a limp grape. In the west grapes are washed and handled with gloves or only picked up by the stalk, and then more often than not neatly packed in cling film trays, this is ideal, such grapes are available in Thailand at most department stores as well.

Bucks is after rough trade grapes and I think his concerns are valid.

October 29th, 2007, 12:06
Must be awful going through life as the boy in the plastic bubble. What a weakling.

October 29th, 2007, 12:12
Must be awful going through life as the boy in the plastic bubble. What a weakling.

Yes it must be. And it is for a few unfortunate people with lowered immune systems, though I am sure they compensate by getting a good education in there. No doubt your grand mother mastered the basics of hygiene and no harm will come your way.

October 29th, 2007, 12:19
I have a very strong constitution due to lack of the coddling you apparently received. However did you make it living on the Dark Continent as such a fragile young boy? Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?

October 29th, 2007, 12:37
I have a very strong constitution due to lack of the coddling you apparently received. However did you make it living on the Dark Continent as such a fragile young boy? Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?

Thats excellent Fong. Yes I did partially grow up on that dark continent, more like an islet, but England was never a permanent home for me. I have the benefit of a varied and grubby childhood just like you.

Let me ask you dirty boy kiss kiss BB, do you suck unpeeled bananas straight from the street? If you do you are risking getting ill. Or do you pop unpeeled mangosteens from the market straight into your gaping hole? Because you know you carry the same risks there too? A grape might be little but don't let it deceive you into complacency, we wouldn't want your entire holiday ruined by a grape, would we?

Aunty
October 29th, 2007, 17:06
I can see it now. Hollywood making a movie about Bucknaway's adventures in Thailand. What they would call it I wonder? How about

Bucknaway: American Nancy.

Yes I'd be careful of those grapes if I were you. I mean you never know where they've been! Lord alone knows but they may have been used as substitutes in the ping pong ball show! Imagine that! Now those would be fishy grapes. :puke:

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 29th, 2007, 20:11
with some old characters...me playing W.C.Fields ( no make-up needed) ..can you do Mae West Aunty ?..and Buckanway can be Beulah (no make-up needed..just a bonnet)..plenty of roles for Sawatdee characters..we can bring The Colonel out of retirement..get Homintern in some role.

even Dame Sanitree Na Parkin as some old slapper fallen on hard times..and Catawampus as the perpetual pedo hunter with a big net...

something along the lines of a Conrad novel..or a remake of that remake of Shanghai Surprise !

Aunty
October 30th, 2007, 13:31
A capital idea, Lunchtime. Perhaps we could do a 'Carry on Thailand'? Would you like to produce? We'll need lots of extras. Would you like to check out the talent?

I would be delighted to play the part of Mae West. She used to wear a lot of bling you know. I thought I would pop around and check out your family jewels. I hear you have a big piece and I'd quite like to try it on. Is Arthur Lowe still around? I thought he'd play Beryl perfectly.

Although the $64,000 question is, who's going to play Matron? Bad Boy Billy?

October 30th, 2007, 19:10
Is Arthur Lowe still around? I thought he'd play Beryl perfectly.Dead, I'm afraid - died in his dressing room while waiting to go on stage. There was a television series, perhaps his last, called "Potter" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078670/ , where he played a retired buffer in an English provincial town. My favourite scene was where he decided to become a tour guide and he took a Japanese men's tour group rowing on the Thames, singing "There'll always be an England". And my second favourite was the same episode where he became somewhat bewildered by losing them all to the local prostitutes. John Barron played the vicar who, among other things, gave his wife Black & Decker tools for her birthday and had never heard of Women's Liberation since he only read "Horse & Hound"