PDA

View Full Version : The Mango Tree, Soi VC

October 26th, 2007, 12:50
I think that is what it is called, it is near the end of Soi VC on the left hand side. Have any of you ever eaten there? I was invited there for dinner the other night by some friends and it was the first time I had dined there, them too. Before I recount the culinary experience that I had, I was wondering what experiences other members have had of this restaurant that have eaten there.

G.

lonelywombat
October 26th, 2007, 13:59
There was a member [Allan? ]that died earlier this year,that owned it with his BF

It was not bad earlier this year but did not try it this trip

edited after my mistake was pointed out

My apologies to Allan. Good to know you have not passed on

October 26th, 2007, 14:21
I think the rest. was (maybe still is) owned by Ken, Allan's b/f. Allan is not dead as far as I know - he had some serious illness but i believe recovered.

October 26th, 2007, 14:28
There was a member [Allan? ]that died earlier this year,that owned it with his BF

It was not bad earlier this year but did not try it this trip

Thanks for the info Wombat, I wasn't aware of that. I am not sure who the owner is now or who the chef is, but the other night, two of the starters we ordered were spring rolls and chicken satay. Both were served with a mayo dip, which was the first time I have experienced this in all my time in Thailand. When we requested a sweet sauce for the spring rolls and a peanut sauce for the satay, we were told: "Sorry, we don't do those sauces."

I saw three different other starters served on the table next to us and all were served with mayo also. Perhaps the new owner's name is Hellman. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

The main courses we ordered (Thai Dishes) were all very bland, although thankfully, not served with mayo. Did I pick a bad night? If they don't serve a peanut sauce with satay, I don't believe I did. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shrugs.gif

G.

Aunty
October 26th, 2007, 15:43
Do they do cheeseburgers?

October 26th, 2007, 16:44
It is a sad little place, with more than a whiff of desperation hanging over it.

No laughter; no joy.

Fairydust was born in May and her favorite color is mauve. Her favorite flowers are apple blossoms and you can usually find her having a picnic in Pony Park. All the ponies there love pretending to be a princess. But theyтАЩre in for a surprise when they discover that, for one special pony, this fairy tale might really come true!

October 26th, 2007, 18:28
If it's anything to do with the Mango Tree in Soi Tantawan (Bangkok), it should be best avoided.

dab69
October 26th, 2007, 19:51
believe I tried a Mango Tree on Sukumvit in bkk
just to cool off. not bad, little artsy place. or maybe it was
mango rain?

TrongpaiExpat
October 26th, 2007, 23:32
If it's anything to do with the Mango Tree in Soi Tantawan (Bangkok), it should be best avoided.

I agree. It used to be one of the "in" gay places but was given a make over and now strangly caters to tour groups and then closes. It had some other name but now is back to the Mango Tree but not the same old place.

October 27th, 2007, 09:47
mango rain?
That sounds like the Lemon Grass restaurant on Soi 24 alongside of Emporium. Nice little boutique restaurant with decent food.

October 27th, 2007, 13:44
If we are talking about the Little Mango owned by Thai Ken, I have eaten there several times. I have never had the Thai food. I have always had eaten from the Western Menu. I have no complaint at all about the food or the price charged. Ken goes from table to table to see if all is ok. It is a simple place with no aircon but comfortable. Some farangs eat the regularly.

I suggest that you can make suggestions to Ken about sauces or the amount of spice in his food if too bland for you. Ken wants to improve his business. Just like many Thais, they work hard at making a living. He wants to please so again give him your input and see if he can improve things for you.

If you are in the area and want a simple meal at a fair price try it. It is ceratinly not Brunos or Manhattan's but it is Thai owned and operated with no outside support. Maybe you can help him improve if you want. I will suggest he has comment cards available.

I hope others try it

October 27th, 2007, 14:28
mango rain?

The Mango Tree restuarant, Soi Tarntawan ist just another tourist scam, serving very avarage food at high prices. Mango Tree caters mainly tour groups.

October 27th, 2007, 15:23
Hi Pattaya Male, I am surprised even more that the mayo dip was served to us the other night, if as you say the restaurant is Thai run and operated. This being the case, I am also very surprised that the western menu would appear to be better than the Thai one. However, when I am next in the area, I will pop in and have a word with Ken. Thanks for your input.

G.

October 27th, 2007, 16:00
It is true that I enjoy the western food there. Also true that I know both Ken and his friend Alan. I also know Googie, Eric, Greg, and many others that own restaurants. My tastes are simple. I am not as picky as some. When I find something that I didn't like I mention it to the owner when I can. I don't make a scene, stamp my feet and all that drama. I came to Thailand to relax. Not change it into something different than what I found here.

I don't know how to better say it. The Little Mango has good simple meals and fair prices. It does not have fancy sauces like Cherry's. It is what it is. Good food, not fancy, but good at a fair price, owned and run by a Thai who wants to please his customers

October 27th, 2007, 17:08
So now I have never eaten there. How convenient. Maybe they sell more western food and just decided not to bother to do the Thai side right. Either way, you are all free to try it out yourself, just thought I would steer people away. Consider that tourists only have a certain number of meals here. It seems they already have a loyal base of folks who don't care about enjoying good food. Businesses are not charities, you know, and we all have many choices.

October 27th, 2007, 17:53
So now I have never eaten there. How convenient. Maybe they sell more western food and just decided not to bother to do the Thai side right. Either way, you are all free to try it out yourself, just thought I would steer people away. Consider that tourists only have a certain number of meals here. It seems they already have a loyal base of folks who don't care about enjoying good food. Businesses are not charities, you know, and we all have many choices.

For someone that claims to have eaten some place ONCE, you make alot of assumptions. No one said they sell more western or Thai food. No one said they decided not to make Thai food right. Why is it your mission to "steer people away"? Why is you opinion so superior to say others that eat there "don't care about enjoying food"? If several people have chosen to eat there regularly, is it possible YOUR opinion is wrong?

Ok. the place is not for you. You made your point. But trying to "steer people away" is mean spirited for someone who ate there 1 time.

October 27th, 2007, 17:57
I got salmonella poisoning the time I didn't eat there!