PDA

View Full Version : What to bring the Boy Friends Father.

February 18th, 2006, 08:46
I am going to meet my Boy Friends parents for the first time at the end of this month. They neither drink nor smoke. What would be a good gift to bring for a Thai Father? He is 62 I think. I am clueless. :smilebox:

Smiles
February 18th, 2006, 10:44
Buy a nice card and write some words in English about how glad you are to meet him and his family . . . which you can then have your BF translate for him ~ at an appropriate moment ~ if he cannot read english. Or you can have your BF write the equivalent in Thai beside the english.
Put some money (1500 or 2000 baht) inside the card.

He'll be delighted, and so easy to do.

Cheers ...

catawampuscat
February 18th, 2006, 11:16
smiles is right..Of course, this is assuming the parents are needy..If they are middle class or upper class, then obviously baht is not correct...

elephantspike
February 18th, 2006, 11:20
Not so much a gift idea, but more like an interesting and fun way to pass the time:

Maybe also bring along some photos of your home area and other places where you have visited. A lot of Thais don't travel much internationally, and are as fascinated by the exotic nature of our culture as we are by that of theirs.

I'll never forget the time during my first season in Thailand in '99-'00, when showing a bunch of Thai guys a stack of postcards from New England, they were all absolutely awe-stricken over a photo of crates of Maine blueberries. They were just gasping "Oh my god! Blue strawberries! Amazing America!". What was mundane and ordinary to me was just incredibly exotic to them.

I suppose for gift ideas, those here who are much older and wiser and more experienced than I could make better suggestions if you shared some basic info about the family. What region, occupation, education level, income?

February 18th, 2006, 11:52
Suggest you also ask your BF for some ideas. First time I met the family, BF and I went shopping before the trip to get appropriate gifts for everyone in the family.

The one gift that really had everyone excited was the cooler of fresh sea food from the morning market in Pattaya. Fresh sea food was a real treat for a family in Issan.

On the first trip I noticed Grandpa rolled his own cigarettes, so on the second trip I bought him a can of premium tobacco from home. I brought Papa a Leatherman Multitool that he absolutely treasured for work around the farm.

Have fun and a wonderful visit.

Bob
February 18th, 2006, 12:39
When visiting the home village this past November, we (I with bf's direct advice) bought a golden pendant for momma and a rather nice black shirt for poppa. Momma was thrilled whereas poppa basically took it in hand, laid it aside, and had zero reaction. I was later told this is normal.

I ultimately had a good relationship with the old geezer. As it turned out, he liked to sneak out of the house and have a smoke and, when we finally figured out we shared the same vice, it became a hoot to watch the twinkle in his eyes as we learned how to occasionally give the "look" to each other (you know, the look that says: Hey, let's bail out of this incessant yakking so we can go out back and light one up!).

February 18th, 2006, 13:39
I remember my ex ex BF when i went to Issaan at Nong Saeng I bought his father a pair of boxing gloves.
I also gave them a picture I had taken of the Bangkok subway that i had made larger and also a picture of Bang Kwang Prison in Bangkok.And a photo of me in my old prison officer uniform wearing my black shiny boots and my cap pulled down just above my eyes.
I made them hang it up in the outside lounge area.
Little things like this that you treasure they also treasure.Just the feeling that everytime they walk up the steps to get into the loungeroom there i am staring down from the wall. I havnt seen my ex ex BF for over a year now so i must try to go back to his parents house to see if my picture is still there.Take a large pic of yourself.

February 18th, 2006, 14:00
I also gave them a ... photo of me in my old prison officer uniform wearing my black shiny boots and my cap pulled down just above my eyes. I made them hang it up in the outside lounge area.
I havnt seen my ex ex BF for over a year now so i must try to go back to his parents house to see if my picture is still there...

But they moved it...To the outhouse (Loo to you.) & framed it with the old toilet seat: goes with your shifty (sic) look. Your EX tells me it's doing a fine job of keeping rats away--And little brother has stopped spending so much time in there.

February 18th, 2006, 14:15
See everytime you try to help someone on here theres always someone that wants to be silly.Im trying to be serious and help this bloke out.

You know really what the old bloke would want dont ya?
The dirty ole bugger wants a young blonde swedish backpacker to flash her tits at him.Tell him you got a blonde sheila who wants to sit on his face.
This is wuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!
Mate seriously thats what he wants,he doesnt want a bloody watch ,you would win him for life if you brought a nice young blonde bitch into the village.Mate you would be king of the flamin village in no time.Thats what the old bastard wants.

February 18th, 2006, 15:10
I don't think it's such a good idea to start to know the family by giving money directly to the parents. If you feel compelled to give them some money, give it to them via your Thai boyfriend, and ask your boyfriend not to tell his parents that it is your money. Hey, get Sex and Money out of your head sometimes.

Captain Swing
February 18th, 2006, 18:26
The thing my BF's family appreciated the most was coffee. If liquor is out, a big jar of Nescafe would probably go over well, assuming the family is relatively poor. Also, while I don't think photos from your home would qualify as a present, the family were all fascinated to look at some pictures I'd taken of my house after a heavy snowfall.

February 18th, 2006, 18:27
Had exactly the same problem recently re a friend's parents (who are not needy).

Don't laugh, but I gave mum and dad soap, which was clearly marked "Made in France" which I pointed out and translated.

The problem was that I stuffed up the presentation - I stood up while the parents were seated - and heard wispers from behind: "Sit down!" - I then remembered all the rules about not getting above those of higher status, etc. As farangs we rarely mix with people of higher status - but meeting a friend's parents is one of those rare times when we must take the lower status role.

February 19th, 2006, 02:16
Mate ,you gave them soap? They probaly thought you were giving them a hint that they stink.Your a bloody cheapskate.
I still think the blonde sheila is a better idea,imagine sitting around the family dinner table and shoutin "Show us ya tits"

Mate im sory to talk this way,its wuuude isnt it?

February 19th, 2006, 02:34
Thanks guys for the suggestions. :compress:

February 19th, 2006, 09:24
I think, everythings can be used in daily that will be useful for your bf dad.

by Thai view and wish to receive u gift too....heheheheh

AMARETTO-old
February 19th, 2006, 18:37
Last month, I have been to my friend's village near Kalasin to visit his family and the countryside of Thailand. They are all farmers and rather poor and all seems to be happy. The only gift I have for his father, was a flasc of french perfume and I give him 3000 THB. At the prime time, there was no reaction, normal (Thai culture). But on that evening, my friend's father invited me to a party in my honor in his house. It was the warmest welcome I have never had.
His father was proud to have me like a guest and when I sit down close to him for the dinner, I could smell the fragrance of "V├йtiver de Guerlain".

If you stay more then 1 day, don't forget to bring with you some photos from your country to show them, they will appreciate a lot. Don't forget to buy some beers and thai whisky and sodas for the childrens.

Have a good time Nocountry

February 20th, 2006, 02:52
My boyfriend's father died some years ago but his mother is still alive and I recently wanted to send her a present after she'd sent me something. I asked my boyfriend what she would like and he said a new blouse.

I hadn't the faintest idea what to get so went shopping with my boyfriend. It rapidly became clear that he had no idea either and we gave up.

I eventually sent some money. I wasn't too keen on just sending money but my boyfriend was adamant that it was OK.

When I actually visit food always seems to be appreciated and my boyfriend never visits anyone without taking something like fruit to give them.

February 20th, 2006, 16:45
Be aware of a typical Thai custom that a present should not be unwrapped in the presence of the person who gives it.
This to avoid possible uncontrolled expressions of dissatisfaction. I have already given many things that had been put aside right away without opening the package. Typically you will get a warm thank you later on.
Recently I gave a present for a friend's birthday. He felt very excited and after half an hour he just asked me for the permission to open the package, thus breaking the etiquette.

February 22nd, 2006, 13:12
French perfume Amaretto? People are going to wonder what that stink is down rice-field. I am sure he would have prefered balsam or pandanus flavour. Ooh I can just smell it, a handsome farmer smelling like a french brothel. Is he a ladyman? Please stop polluting the Thais. :cheese:

February 22nd, 2006, 16:07
I am going to meet my Boy Friends parents for the first time at the end of this month. They neither drink nor smoke. What would be a good gift to bring for a Thai Father? He is 62 I think. I am clueless. :smilebox:

Why don't you split a bottle of prune juice with him while chit-chatting on the verandah late at night? That way both of you can go together in the morning.

February 22nd, 2006, 16:16
I ultimately had a good relationship with the old geezer. As it turned out, he liked to sneak out of the house and have a smoke and, when we finally figured out we shared the same vice, it became a hoot to watch the twinkle in his eyes as we learned how to occasionally give the "look" to each other (you know, the look that says: Hey, let's bail out of this incessant yakking so we can go out back and light one up!).

It's nice to be able to talk to someone your own age, isn't it Bob?

Did it occur to you that that twinkle in your father-in-law's eyes might have meant something else? Perhaps he wanted a sa-moke "out back" (not of the tobacco variety).

Bob
February 23rd, 2006, 06:07
I'm not sure what rock you crawled out from, Ms. Sybil, but you've
earned the right to be ignored. Later.......

Smiles
February 23rd, 2006, 06:15
I'm not sure what rock you crawled out from, Ms. Sybil ... "

. . . he crawled out from under this rock/thread, Bob: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... html#69818 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post-69818.html#69818)
Different topic ... same dullard mentality.

Cheers ...