View Full Version : Police tracked suspect from Pattaya to Korat

October 21st, 2007, 15:18
Police tracked Canadian from Pattaya to Korat
It took just eight days from the time wanted Canadian and alleged paedophile Christopher Paul Neil entered the country to his being detained by police.

He was found hiding at a Nakhon Ratchasima address with a Thai friend.

France-based Interpol seized more than 200 pictures posted online of the suspect sexually abusing boys in Asia, including in Cambodia and Vietnam. His face had been digitally blurred using a swirl. Experts in Germany reconstructed images of his face and released them in a worldwide appeal earlier this month.

A massive public response resulted in the identification of Neil, aged 32.

He entered Thailand on October 11 from South Korea. The manhunt in this country began.

Police here mobilised their immigration, tourist and children, youth and women divisions.

Tourist police gathered information from the street, visiting night entertainment venues in Pattaya. There they learned Neil lived with a 20-year-old transvestite called Oam, and that the pair had travelled to Oam's hometown in Chaiyaphum.

When police showed up, they found the couple had departed. Using telephone records for Oam's mobile phone, police tracked the two to Nakhon Ratchasima, where Oam has relatives. They were found in a rented house in Tambon Long Lawiang of Muang Nakhon Ratchasima.

Police arrested Neil on Friday. He has been charged with molesting children, illegal detention and other offences.

Oam told police he had no idea Neil was wanted by Interpol and was shocked to discover this, so they fled. He said he dated Neil for two years after they met at a Pattaya night entertainment venue.

They lived together in Pattaya and occasionally visited Chaiyaphum, he told police.

Although Neil refuses to answer police questions, their investigation has discovered he taught English in Thailand. He taught in Hong Kong and Vietnam, too, as well as South Korea, but continued to visit this country regularly.

Police alleged Neil's sexual behaviour was deviant and he liked to detain victims, mostly Asian boys. He often had sex with between six and seven boys at one time.

He has reportedly abused young girls, too.

His sex acts were recorded and later posted on the Internet, leading to Interpol's interest and his eventual arrest.

In Thailand, one boy, now believed to be aged 14, accused Neil of raping him in October of 2003, when he was nine.

Neil allegedly lured the boy to his Din Daeng apartment to play computer games before detaining and molesting him.

The boy came forward to police this week.

Police have determined from Neil's recordings that two other boys were allegedly molested on this occasion, but have yet to find them.

The father of the victim who approached police filed a complaint after finding the pictures of his son being molested on an Internet website.

He was shocked because his son has never mentioned the incident.

He now knows his son was playing computer games at a neighbourhood shop when a local man approached him, inviting him to play at Neil's residence.

The boy accepted but found himself locked up with a foreigner, whom he later knew as Christopher. The foreigner allegedly touched the boy's genitals and forced the boy to pose for a camera, before letting him go, the father said.

Police children, youth and women's division commander, Colonel Worawat Amornwiwat, said the problem of foreigners sexually abusing children was a huge issue. Police preventive measures include the exchange of criminal records between Interpol, immigration and tourist police in various countries.

Immigration and local police are privy to these files and are on the lookout for offenders.

Where suspects commit crimes, or are wanted by other countries, police will arrest them.

However, Worawat said, preventing children being molested was difficult because, in most cases child sex workers were the subjects and often agreed to the liaison.

Worawat said boys selling sex were often poor and some "wandering the streets" were as young as 11.

He said the law prohibiting sex with a person aged 13 and younger could be used in the case involving the known victim and Neil. It is an offence that carries jail terms ranging from seven years to life and a fine as high as Bt40,000, Worawat said. Sex with older children is prohibited, too.

Source: The Nation, 21. Oct, 2007

October 21st, 2007, 16:00
Pedophile suspect denies Thai charges

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Canadian pedophile suspect Christopher Neil has denied charges that he molested underage children in Thailand, police said on Saturday, a day after a global manhunt ended with his arrest in a dusty Thai town.

A Thai court ordered Neil detained for another 12 days for further investigation.

Neil is also accused of raping young boys in Vietnam and Cambodia after being unmasked by clever police computer work and hunted in a unique Internet appeal.

The 32-year-old is facing charges of molesting underage children, depriving children of parental care and restraint of freedom, Police Major-General Wimol Powin said.

"He denied the charges but has not said much more," Wimol told reporters, who were barred from the court hearing.

If found guilty, he could spend up to 20 years in jail.

Neil, caught on Friday in the northeast province of Nakhon Ratchasima, 250 km (150 miles) from Bangkok and well off the normal tourist trail, said nothing as he left the court wearing a red-striped T-shirt, cap and sunglasses.

In brief comments to Reuters Television, Neil also declined to comment on the charges he faces but asked his family for help.

"Just to take care and to make sure I get out of here. That's all. Help me out," Neil said when asked what his message to his family was.

Police said Neil had contacted the Canadian embassy and phoned his relatives in Canada where Matthew Neil said he was relieved his brother was in custody.

"He looks tired," Matthew said of the pictures of his brother after the arrest. He said he "cannot imagine" what is going through his brother's mind.

"I would like to see him come back to Canada, but I understand it involves an international incident and allegations," he told reporters.

EXTRADITION?

Thai police said Neil could be extradited once he had served his sentence. Cambodia said it also wanted to question Neil and would charge him if police there could put a case together.

Vietnam might also want to question him.

British Columbia Attorney-General Wally Oppal disclosed that Canadian police had been investigating Neil, who had also worked in the Vancouver area as a teacher and attended seminary school.

It was too early to speculate if Canada would attempt to extradite Neil, Oppal said.

Oppal's spokesman said that those comments did not mean police were investigating possible incidents in Canada, where no charges have been filed against Neil.

It is illegal for Canadians to visit other countries for the purpose of having sex with children, although the five-year-old "sex tourism" law has been rarely used and questions have been raised about its constitutionality.

Neil was no stranger to Thailand, having once taught in a Bangkok language school. His hiding place was revealed by a trace on the mobile phone of his 25-year-old Thai boyfriend, identified by transvestites in the seedy beach town of Pattaya.

Thai police issued a warrant for Neil's arrest on Thursday, a week after he fled South Korea, after two Thai teenagers accused him of paying for oral sex when they were nine and 14, grounds for prosecution under Thai law.

Detectives in various countries had been hunting Neil since German police discovered photographs on the Internet three years ago of a man sexually abusing 12 boys in Vietnam and Cambodia.

His face had been scrambled with a digital swirling pattern, but German police computer experts managed to unravel the "Swirly Face" disguise and Interpol issued an unprecedented worldwide appeal through the Internet for information on who the man was.

Spurce: Reuters, 21. Oct, 2007

Aunty
October 21st, 2007, 16:16
Police here mobilised their immigration, tourist and children, youth and women divisions.

The mind boggles. What were they, the bait?

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 21st, 2007, 20:07
"...after finding the pictures of his son being molested on an Internet website."

why was he looking ?

October 21st, 2007, 22:14

The mind boggles. What were they, the bait?

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, Aunty. What they mean is that three divisions of the Royal Thai Police were mobilized: "Immigration Police", "Tourist Police" and "Children, Youth, and Women Police". The latter is a division that was set up specifically to handle matters related to children, young people, and women. They do not use children as bait, or in any other way. Hope this clarifies.

dab69
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12
we are really concerned ttommie

dab69
October 22nd, 2007, 08:14

get it out of your system,
get more mileage at each separate revelation.

did we miss any news accounts in different newspapers.
are there discrepancies?

TrongpaiExpat
October 22nd, 2007, 10:06

get it out of your system,
get more mileage at each separate revelation.

did we miss any news accounts in different newspapers.
are there discrepancies?

Yes, I agree, enough already, move along, talk amoungs yours-selfs

Nothing to do with gay Thailand. Maybe it should be moved to the global forum or a new forum about Canadians--wouldn't that be an exciting forum.

The Thai press is now almost ignoring this story. Lead story on ch 3 was what ever Royal is doing a photo-op followed by the capture of an alligator.

October 22nd, 2007, 10:44
The Thai press is now almost ignoring this story. Lead story on ch 3 was what ever Royal is doing a photo-op followed by the capture of an alligator.An enormous number of policemen got their photograph in the newspaper, posing alongside him as if they had had something to do with his detection and arrest, doubtless quietly fuming that the story had become so high profile they'd actually had to arrest him rather than shaking him down for a large amount of money in the usual way of the Thai police, and sending him on his way

TrongpaiExpat
October 22nd, 2007, 12:46
Did they clap the alligator (or was it a crocodile?) in irons and parade it in from of the TV cameras?

They just say jurikay is that a crocodile? Actually there were two, I think dead with the usual entourage of officials. Not very big.

October 22nd, 2007, 13:06
The Thai press is now almost ignoring this story. Lead story on ch 3 was what ever Royal is doing a photo-op followed by the capture of an alligator.An enormous number of policemen got their photograph in the newspaper, posing alongside him as if they had had something to do with his detection and arrest, doubtless quietly fuming that the story had become so high profile they'd actually had to arrest him rather than shaking him down for a large amount of money in the usual way of the Thai police, and sending him on his way

I hope you aren't implying that tea money is a bad thing, are you? I shudder to think of what nightlife in Thailand would be like without it!

October 22nd, 2007, 13:32
Nothing to do with gay Thailand. Maybe it should be moved to the global forum or a new forum about Canadians--.

Everything to do with Gay Thailand as the accused had a Thai ladyboy b/f. took refuge in Pattaya in an hotel located in the most notorious gay area of Thailand and in an area that that provides children for perverts.

The fact that some Sunee regulars on this board and others would rather have the story swept under the carpet only raises questions as to what they have to hide.

krobbie
October 22nd, 2007, 13:40
.... or are you just shit stirring Naughty But Nice?

You live here (since 1972 I believe), you must know a few tricks yourself. Or do you knit at nights?

krobbie

October 23rd, 2007, 01:30
.... or are you just shit stirring Naughty But Nice?

You live here (since 1972 I believe), you must know a few tricks yourself. Or do you knit at nights?

krobbie

No, I gave up knitting years ago and unlike some of the visitors who frequent Sunee I have no interest in molesting children nor unlike some posters of making pathetic excuses for those perverts who do.

As for shit-stirring there is no need to do that, the facts about Sunee speak for themselves, or are you one of those people who like to protest that Sunee is squeaky clean?

krobbie
October 23rd, 2007, 02:14
I have yet to holiday in Pattaya as it happens and I do not and have never indulged myself with children nor is it my wish to. I have a bf of many more years than we are speaking of here.

What I was trying to get at NbN is - I shouldn't blatantly go around casting aspersions on all or any in sundry on this board or others. I would hate it to come back and bite you on the arse.

If you have facts, lets have 'em. I don't like the thought of child molesters either, but at the same time, I don't start pointing fingers because someone has an 18 year old bf. That's just not on.

I would have thought that since you were writing on the board it was friends and acquaintances you were after. Throwing shit has never been a way to get either. :nzd:

This is just MHO.

krobbie

October 23rd, 2007, 03:06
I have yet to holiday in Pattaya as it happens and I do not and have never indulged myself with children nor is it my wish to. I have a bf of many more years than we are speaking of here.

What I was trying to get at NbN is - I shouldn't blatantly go around casting aspersions on all or any in sundry on this board or others. I would hate it to come back and bite you on the arse.

If you have facts, lets have 'em. I don't like the thought of child molesters either, but at the same time, I don't start pointing fingers because someone has an 18 year old bf. That's just not on.

I would have thought that since you were writing on the board it was friends and acquaintances you were after. Throwing shit has never been a way to get either. :nzd:

This is just MHO.

krobbie

If you live in the real world you would know that the Sunee area has a deserved reputation for underage children being available and these are not folklore tales. There is hardly any need to cast apsersions when the facts are readily verifiable. Additionally I have not pointed the finger at 'all & sundry', in fact I have made a point of referring to 'many' and 'some' visitors, who may or may not be readers of these boards.

I have NO problem whatsoever with anyone having a b/f of 18 years of age my only objection is when some visitors to Sunee are only there for the underage children

When you make your first visit to Pattaya you will be able to see for yourself the problem that exists in the Sunee area. The area has a worldwide reputation for pedophile activities and in fact at the moment I am in England on a business trip and have had comments made to me that it must be 'shocking' to live in Thailand when 'so many perverts' visit the country hunting for small children, then the next thing mentioned is Pattaya. Naturally the comments on this trip have been inspired by the recent worldwide police hunt but on other other trips to the UK I have also had similar comments made.

The problems of Sunee with children taints the whole gay bar/club scene in that area and of course the reluctance of anyone to clean up the area reflects on the whole of the gay community who are rightly upset as being tarred with the same brush - yet some of whom often spring to the defence of those bars that employ/supply these children. Go figure

I am here neither for friends nor aquaintances (thankfull those I have in abundance after living in Thailand for more than 30 years ) but I do find it I find it interesting to read the diversity of views on Thailand put forward by posters but also it concerns me that some posters try to justify the activities in Sunee despite the fact that the truth is staring them in the face!

October 23rd, 2007, 06:18
... my only objection is when some visitors to Sunee are only there for the underage childrenUnderage children - now there's an interesting concept