PDA

View Full Version : Mosaik Apartments

kittyboy
October 20th, 2007, 04:25
I am planning a 2-3 month trip to Thailand during the summer and was researching pattaya accomedations. I ran accross mention of the Mosaik which is accross from the Flamingo hotel.

I stayed at the Flamingo about 5 years ago and there was a boy bar/gay hotel accross from the Flamingo hotel. I think it is now the Mosaik. I know the bars and hotels change ownership frequently but I was curious what happened to that place. I can't remember what it was called - something with "Group" in the name maybe... I think the owner had big plans to open up several bars etc... I chatted up a few of the boyz that worked there and they seemed to like the (then) owner. Did he go out of business or is he the owner of the Mosaik?

I was just curious.

lonelywombat
October 20th, 2007, 05:07
I made enquiries on my last trip about staying at Mosaic.

Their website seemed difficult to load. This has been successful for me

http://www.mosaikpattaya.com/

Answering your query I doubt if the owner is the same as the group was closed down about 5-6 years ago

The sauna opposite is all that remains of that complex

On the website are two photos of the street facade The office is opposite the Flamingo beer garden

AKAHagrid-old
October 20th, 2007, 06:41
Stayed there summer '07. Price is comparable to Yensabai Condos, just around the corner, with the floor plan being more of a bedroom + sitting room/kitchen, as opposed to Yensabai studio apt style. The downside is that the apartments are more geared towards long-term renters, in that they do not seem to have all the little things: microwave, toasters, decent kitchenware, etc., and I suppose long-termers prefer to furnish to their own tastes. Then again maybe Rudy and his staff at Pattaya Rent-A-Room have spoilt me. In addition, there is no guard/reception--your key lets you in, and all access is videoed. I took many guests back, and there was never a comment by the staff, but if you are skittish about being taped, you may prefer another venue.

October 20th, 2007, 10:12
Watch for very high electricity rates they will charge you. Best to rent for only one month and see what your charge will be, before committing to many months. I am not talking about a few hundred baht either.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 20th, 2007, 14:40
and were a gift from his farang friend.

I think they are great value..very clean and have discreet entrances ( so you can stumble home drunk).

You are correct that many people take them for a few months and as they have the basics-cable TV, kitchenette, nice bathrooms, a lot of people buy a few odds and ends to decorate. A few plants and a nice lamp , bedcover and a few cushions and you will soon feel at home. ( then leave the things as a gift for the cleaner).

It's a very handy area with Sunnee and Boyztown within walking distance..quiet with plenty of reasonable restaurants nearby and of course the wonderful shopping plaza just minutes away.

Just check on the utilities like electricty which are extra..but very reasonably priced. Can't think of anywhere really much better !

October 20th, 2007, 14:58
I take it you have stayed at Mosaik then. I know several people who stayed and ended up with a huge electric bill. Not reasonable at all. I say, BEWARE. Nice place but has its downside. The electric rip-off

kittyboy
October 20th, 2007, 15:06
There is a previous thread that hashes out the differing opinions on the electric rate charged by the Mosaik. I don't want to rehash that debate. I am really just curious if the Mosaik is the same building that was a male go go bar and gay friendly hotel about 5 years ago and if so what was the name of the place... It has nothing to do with anything else except that I stopped by the go go bar a couple of times... chatted up the guys working there and for the life of me can not remember the name of the place.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 20th, 2007, 19:51
it has expanded..I think there may be 3 different buildings. I would recommend Mosaic to anyone and always do. I know people who stay for months at a time and many times over.

Any place should be checked out personally as we all have different ideas but I still believe Mosaic is great value even with the electricty cost. You need to specify the room you want though..some studios look out onto blank walls. Try for a balcony room. But the place is very clean and modern with acceptably tatseful furniture and fittings.

If I had my way I would live permanently in the Dusit Resort..others don't like the place.

October 21st, 2007, 07:49
There is a previous thread that hashes out the differing opinions on the electric rate charged by the Mosaik. I don't want to rehash that debate. I am really just curious if the Mosaik is the same building that was a male go go bar and gay friendly hotel about 5 years ago and if so what was the name of the place... It has nothing to do with anything else except that I stopped by the go go bar a couple of times... chatted up the guys working there and for the life of me can not remember the name of the place.

For monthly rentals it is common practice that utility fees (water, electricity) and costs of cleaning are charged separately. Be aware that those fees can make substantial extra. To cover possible costs a deposit is usually required before keys are handed over to the tenant.

Especially in Bangkok some initial rentals offered are looking very low at the first glimpse but the landlords profits come with the utility fees while he is adding some 100 to 300 percent to the original price. The problem is that foreigners can often not arrange own contracts with water works or EGAT.

colmx
October 21st, 2007, 08:24
To Answer the original posters question...
Mosaik is indeed the building that used to be occupied by the Boys Studio Group
This group originally consisted of:
Studio Boys, Jolly Boys, Believe Boys and Studio Suites...

After the police shut down Boys Studio the whole section of the street was demolished and rebuilt into the Mosaik apartments...

Their website was www.gaypattaya.com (http://www.gaypattaya.com) (not to be confused with www.pattayagay.com (http://www.pattayagay.com))

Thanks to the wonders of the "way back macjine" the website is still preserved at archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/200107191340 ... index.html (http://web.archive.org/web/20010719134043/http://www.gaypattaya.com/index.html)

colmx
October 21st, 2007, 08:25
After looking at the site as posted above... I'm astounded to see that 6 years later some of those guys are still working in SP... One of them was recently Top mans Boy-of-the-week!