PDA

View Full Version : My HIV+ Boyfriend - latest update

October 19th, 2007, 22:59
Another update on my HIV+ Thai boyfriend. Last time I reported he had just gone into hospital for three days of tests and monitoring. After a day's delay caused by a ghost (only in Thailand) he had a lot of tests and was put on Indinivir instead of his normal anti-virals which were Thai generics.

After a period when he had been much better his CD4 count had been going down and his general health had deteriorated. Indinivir is not usually prescribed in Thailand as it is an expensive option but it has the reputation of quickly producing an increased CD4 count but it can produce kidney problems if taken for a long time. A week after he left hospital his CD4 count had indeed risen and another test at the end of last week showed another increase and his viral load results were reported as being "good".

The idea was to stabilise his condition and treat his other infections before returning him to his original anti-virals under careful monitoring.

His other recent problems were mainly caused by recurrent malaria, which has now improved, and a stomach ulcer which still refuses to heal.

So he's back on his original Thai generics and goes for his next appointment in two weeks time. It remains to be seen if his CD4 count will continue to increase or at least stabilise and if he can maintain his improved condition.

Some not so good news is that he's again been getting abuse from a local woman about his HIV status. She stands outside his house and shouts insults for hours at a time. I think she must be mentally a bit odd but that doesn't help my boyfriend. He was also hit in the face and given a black eye but when the Police were called HE was fined 2,000 Baht!

It makes me so angry to think of the kindest, gentlest and most considerate person I've ever met having to put up with that on top of all his other problems.

He owns the house he lives in which is a big saving in living expenses as he's still not working but I can't blame him for wanting to move away to somewhere where his HIV status isn't known.

It puts things into perspective when I talk to him as he copes with problems day after day that I would find intolerable.

A move away from his current home and some sort of job so he could begin to support himself would do wonders for his self esteem but I'm finding it hard to be optimistic about his future at the moment as he never seems to be well for more than a few months at a time.

October 20th, 2007, 11:09
I suddenly feel like I've been catapulted back 25 years ago when this all started.

And God Bless your boyfriend.

I don't know what else to say.

Love

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 20th, 2007, 14:34
silly old bat..what a nightmare for the lad.

October 21st, 2007, 17:28
I am sorry,give him a hug from a stranger. Lots of love