PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok's Balcony Pub Best says BK Magazine

October 19th, 2007, 19:27
Last night (18 October) BK Magazine held its ReaderтАЩs Choice Awards тАШ07 тАУ an annual event in which readers of the magazine vote for their favourite venues in Bangkok. Amongst a long, star-studded list of venues and awards, such as: тАШFavorite hotel for Dining & Wining тАж winner ~ The OrientalтАЩ and тАШFavorite Spa тАж winner ~ Devarana Spa at Dusit ThaniтАЩ; in the Nightlife Section was:

тАШFavorite Gay Hangout тАж

Winner ~ The Balcony!!!

We are deeply honoured by this prestigious award from the readers of the magazine and trust that you too, as regular guests of The Balcony, will feel equally as proud as we are. It is a tribute to you for being part of the atmosphere of The Balcony as well as a great compliment to our staff. Thank you to everyone who voted for us.

www.balconypub.com (http://www.balconypub.com)

TrongpaiExpat
October 19th, 2007, 21:56
The November issue of Spice has an interesting article on the history of Silom Soi 4 including the Balcony from the 50's to present.

October 20th, 2007, 09:09
I never liked the Balkony Bar in Bangkok. I always found the place just pathetic. Food is just lousy, mainly junk just liked by foreigners.

Since R. any Y. turned away from Telephone Bar, this place went down too.

Both places do have there number of regular hustlers, and do cater mostly the same typical Western crowd who is running up and down the stairs at Babylon sauna all afternoon and early evening.

Regarding style, service, food and drinks it's hard to beat the Spinx bar & restaurant, just a few steps further into the same Soi as Balcony and Telephone.

October 20th, 2007, 09:12
Last night (18 October) BK Magazine held its ReaderтАЩs Choice Awards тАШ07 тАУ an annual event in which readers of the magazine vote for their favourite venues in Bangkok... Favorite Gay Hangout тАж Winner ~ The Balcony!!!Some people are easily pleased. On the other hand, I wonder how much effort was involved in being a "voting reader"

October 20th, 2007, 09:41
It's a bit like the television awards in the UK, Eastenders was way down low in the viewer ratings, so on the award show it won best soap of the year, one year. Then what happens, is everyone watches the programme. Its just PR.

TrongpaiExpat
October 20th, 2007, 14:28
I gave up going to the Balcony a few years back. I used to like the place and every now and then go back and confirm that I still don't like it. The food is not very good and mixed drinks are small and watered down. The chairs and tables are too small and the waiters too busy toutin for customers to wait on tables. Inside is not comfortable either and money-boys are most always present.

The outside seating is plagued by competing loud music by next door and across the street. The resulting noise is nerve damage.

It's a little strange to be sitting at the Balcony where the view is the Telephone where they in turn sit and watch you.

My vote is for Dick's Cafe.

October 20th, 2007, 14:36
Well done Balcony.
I expect you will be getting lots of messages of congratulation from other bar owners and I'm told that a bouquet has been ordered by Richard & Jim in Soi 2/1. Oh yes .... that pair are so happy for you. :pain10:

October 20th, 2007, 15:35
Dear Guys,

They do work bloody hard to think of new ideas and hold standards.

That is all three of them, especially Start, who never stops!

Well done guys!

October 20th, 2007, 18:26
I gave up going to the Balcony a few years back. I used to like the place and every now and then go back and confirm that I still don't like it. The food is not very good and mixed drinks are small and watered down. The chairs and tables are too small and the waiters too busy toutin for customers to wait on tables. Inside is not comfortable either and money-boys are most always present.

The outside seating is plagued by competing loud music by next door and across the street. The resulting noise is nerve damage.

It's a little strange to be sitting at the Balcony where the view is the Telephone where they in turn sit and watch you.

My vote is for Dick's Cafe.

Agree 100 %:

Could have excactly been my comment !

The Sphinx for Silom Soi 4 area, Dick's Caf├й and probably Balls Sports bar for Soi Twilight

dab69
October 21st, 2007, 06:57
The November issue of Spice has an interesting article on the history of Silom Soi 4 including the Balcony from the 50's to present.

still trying to find the article online. love reading about the early history (50's?)
of gay bangkok

always like to stop by the Balcony for a kamakazi
and to be ignored by Sit

October 21st, 2007, 08:20

still trying to find the article online. love reading about the early history (50's?)
of gay bangkok

always like to stop by the Balcony for a kamakazi
and to be ignored by Sit

???

First venue of interest used to be the ROME CLUB, which was famous even with some younger royals. It was one of the first places an more open gay crowd where accepted in public. Soon after the Telephone Pub started at the opposite site.

After ROME Club changed there management, the colourful, trendy gay crowd wasn't welcome any more - and the club was dead the following year but Telephone became famous instead. Soon after Balcony and other venues started. Where the Sphinx Pub is today a few shabby bars with definitely under-age boys changed owners constantly.

On Suriwong the Twilight bar became famous. On Soi 6 Khun Lek had a few sleazy gay bars with very raunchy shows and Tawan bar is now probably the longest established venue with the same owner.

Khun Benjia started DJ Station and made tiny Silom Soi 2 big. There where some small sauna establishments but Babylon started at the corner of Sathon Soi 1 / Soi Nanta was trend setting and became a world famous institution.

The gay businesses started around Patpong / Silom / Suriwong area about 20 to 25 years ago.

TrongpaiExpat
October 21st, 2007, 14:18
It seems to be a reoccurring pattern, the farang owner goes on an extended trip and the Thai manager/boyfriend or who ever is left in charge destroys the business.

I don't want to mention the business (not fair) but it's gay and in Bangkok. The farang owner took 6 months off to return home. The boyfriend ran the place, he hired a incompetent friend and fired one of the best boys. He treated the customers in an unfriendly manner and pissed off all the employees.

The Farang returned to find his business in shambles. He is now trying to make things right but it may be too late.

October 22nd, 2007, 15:54
It seems to be a reoccurring pattern, the farang owner goes on an extended trip and the Thai manager/boyfriend or who ever is left in charge destroys the business.

I don't want to mention the business (not fair) but it's gay and in Bangkok. The farang owner took 6 months off to return home. The boyfriend ran the place, he hired a incompetent friend and fired one of the best boys. He treated the customers in an unfriendly manner and pissed off all the employees.

The Farang returned to find his business in shambles. He is now trying to make things right but it may be too late.

TrongpaiExpat,

Any farang who thinks he can entrust this type of business and leave it in the hands of a Thai boyfriend [ for six months! ] is either a lunatic or his name is Bill Gates.

All the best,

TrongpaiExpat
October 22nd, 2007, 18:24
TrongpaiExpat,

Any farang who thinks he can entrust this type of business and leave it in the hands of a Thai boyfriend [ for six months! ] is either a lunatic or his name is Bill Gates.

All the best,

I think it was a family emergency. The boyfriend is a strange guy. He is friendly and talks to the customers only when the farang boss is present, otherwise he is dismissive and aloof.

November 14th, 2007, 13:40
Personally, I think they bloody well deserve it:
# There's always an owner on duty during the evening and they put in the hours during the day too
# The staff are treated well and with respect
# The owners win loyalty from a lot of their staff
# There are regular theme nights
# There are regular offers on drinks and the wine list changes regularly
# The music is not played too loudly
# Theres often a nice mix of gay, lesbian and straight
# All my visiting friends enjoy going there
I'm a regular customer of many years.
Sorry to those that don't agree but, as I say, the prize is well deserved.

November 26th, 2007, 19:00
Well Mate, maybe others don't fancy Balcony because the mixed drinks are diluted to the point of being alcohol free. Or maybe they don't like blokes pushing this place as a way of sucking up to the owners. And you're damn loony if you think the music isn't played too loud. And what you call wine there would be better used sprinkled on chips. All in all mate, not surprised your visiting friends enjoy it.

November 27th, 2007, 06:01
You sound like an embittered, jealous business competitor :flower:

lonelywombat
November 27th, 2007, 06:07
Well Mate, maybe others don't fancy Balcony because the mixed drinks are diluted to the point of being alcohol free. Or maybe they don't like blokes pushing this place as a way of sucking up to the owners. And you're damn loony if you think the music isn't played too loud. And what you call wine there would be better used sprinkled on chips. All in all mate, not surprised your visiting friends enjoy it.

I think it disgraceful that a newbie poster logs in as mollymel implying himself to be Molly Meldrum famous Australian music identity. A previous owner of Balcony

If it is Molly he should say so if not his name should be rejected as in appropiate

November 27th, 2007, 07:17
But why should me name be "rejected as in appropiate"? Now if it was inappropriate, I could see your point.

And how can I be a jealous, embittered business competitor if, as the wombat claims, I'm a famous Australian musical identity?

Sounds to me like you blokes are puckering up to the Balcony boys. Now that's hardly appropriate, is it?

November 27th, 2007, 09:15
If it is Molly he should say so if not his name should be rejected as in appropiateHats off to Molly. When Balcony was under his tutelage (and known as Molly's Jump, or to the inner circle, Molly's Dump) it was a by-word for gentility and quiet music - and lack of profits. What was that famous statement from Molly when asked how successful Molly's Dump was (a month or so before it closed) - "It's now the place to go in Bangkok for Australian Embassy staff and Qantas flight attendants"

It always has been a dump, and continues so under the Balcony label

November 27th, 2007, 10:46
If it is Molly he should say so if not his name should be rejected as in appropiateHats off to Molly. When Balcony was under his tutelage (and known as Molly's Jump, or to the inner circle, Molly's Dump) it was a by-word for gentility and quiet music - and lack of profits. What was that famous statement from Molly when asked how successful Molly's Dump was (a month or so before it closed) - "It's now the place to go in Bangkok for Australian Embassy staff and Qantas flight attendants"

It always has been a dump, and continues so under the Balcony label

As usual,

I completely disagree.

The Partners work hard, are innovative, they do their bit for charity, they assist visitiors with advice, Their prices are very reasonable, They are constantly thinking of new promotions.

There is always one or two of them on site to welcome customers and be friendly.

The place is clean, the food is good and well priced, they music is always at a bearable level, and they have a great mix of customers. The staff have a good command of English and the Thai Manager is a great guy.

Yep Homintern, I think you are right, you must be, let's close the place down and be done with it!

ned kelly-old
November 27th, 2007, 13:32
I should say at the outset that I think The Balcony is fine for a drink or two whilst watching the sites of soi 4.
On my regular visits to Bangkok I used to have a quick meal and a couple of drinks and a pleasant banter with the waiters, although the meals were always so-so and a bit meagre but then relatively inexpensive. My last meal there-chicken and cashew nuts-had not a single cashew in it! I mentioned this in a soft complaining way to one of the owners whose response was "this is Thailand".........havn't bothered to eat there since.

November 27th, 2007, 13:52
I should say at the outset that I think The Balcony is fine for a drink or two whilst watching the sites of soi 4.
On my regular visits to Bangkok I used to have a quick meal and a couple of drinks and a pleasant banter with the waiters, although the meals were always so-so and a bit meagre but then relatively inexpensive. My last meal there-chicken and cashew nuts-had not a single cashew in it! I mentioned this in a soft complaining way to one of the owners whose response was "this is Thailand".........havn't bothered to eat there since.

Hi Ned,

Not the response you would have wanted!

I have eaten there a few times and the owners have taken over the kitchen again, [I believe, it was franchised out for a while]

I am not 100% but I think I am correct.

I enjoyed the food, although I ate English on the last occasion.

That apart, I can't comment.

However, I find Homintern's comments unnecessarily harsh towards the place, and he does not give any reason for them, only a sweeping statement

I think most of the establishments in that particular Soi are good and they all seem to work at it.

People complaining about prices there or in Pattaya want to have a look at Soi twilight.

The best value for money there is the two open beer bars at the entrance and of course, Dick's Cafe.

November 27th, 2007, 13:54
I mentioned this in a soft complaining way to one of the owners whose response was "this is Thailand".........havn't bothered to eat there since.Regrettably most of the "pink" kitchens in the Silom/Suriwong area can't even manage to cook to the standard of, say, the S&P chain. Balcony, Telephone, Richard's, Dick's Cafe, Tarntawan Hotel ... Maybe they reckon people don't go there for the food, and they're probably correct, but if a thing's worth doing and all. When I say "most" I'm struggling to think of one that stands out as even being on a par with S&P. Sphinx is all well and good, but somewhat over-priced

November 27th, 2007, 14:52
kquill said: "I enjoyed the food, although I ate English on the last occasion."

Jacques Chirac commenting on the English said: "We can't trust people who have such bad food."

December 6th, 2007, 03:22
Have been to both Balcony and Telephone pub several times.both are Fantastic. What else can you say when the food, drink, service and the atmosphere are superb. You must visit when in Bangkok!

December 6th, 2007, 03:52
"What else can you say when the food, drink, service and the atmosphere are superb."

Well, mate, I might say that in addition to being wrong, your standards are obviously appallingly low.

But then again, you're the same bloke who posted this back on June 11:

"thank you guys for all your help...........i really keen to meet old men over 50 to 70 fat bald and hot....looking for young slim man........i could be suger son for them ....lol..........i woudln't mind to pay them if they want.....but idon't think GWM..........intereted in money only good time mmmmmmmm"

anakot
December 6th, 2007, 06:22
Certainly would have to agree with Kquill that Balcony is great place. The atmosphere downstairs is pleasant and unrushed. A pleasant place to veg out for an hour or two. The drinks seem fine to me and I think the owner or owners do a great job. The best part for me is the Karaoke upstairs. I have had many pleasant evenings upstairs with a couple of my local friends. There is always someone on hand to make the karaoke work flawlessly and it is a really great time. You gotta luv karaoke though and over the years I have come to luvvit. It is great to see these local guys let their hair down. Difficult for me as mine is 3-6mm long but any how I recommend it. Get there earlyish and you have the place to yourself.

My guess is the the new poster 'mollymel' is an expat possibly Aussie businessman in competition with Balcony who just doesn't get it! Who are you really but who cares?!?

I have to correct posters who have complained about the food at Balcony. I have eaten there several times over the last few weeks and I think the food is very good. I only eat Thai food when in Thailand. Their somtam thai phet is as good as anywhere. same standard as Dick's which is also good. Keep up the good work and congrats on your award.

TrongpaiExpat
December 6th, 2007, 10:49
I agree with Homi. but still eat at Dick's they do Western better than Thai. The Thai food is tailored for Western taste. I do like Sphinx but you can get the same at many other places for half the price. I have totally given up on the rest for food.

I used to go to Maui a lot but have not been there for a long time, it's a little over priced too. Thai better than Western.

O Ho's recently lost their cook and the replacement is not working out. I noticed less customers recently. I miss the old cook.

Om Yim, has some busy night, Thai food decent, but not consistent, not Westernized but all outdoor seating no AC.

Ledo,same soi, not really gay, but frequented by a lot of local gays and there's a new lady-boy waiter with an attitude is doing well. Good southern Italian food.

Some of the dishes at Babylon are OK. When the new place first opened it was better.

Few farangs go to Hero for food, but there's a nice little restaurant attached, excellent Thai food. Never saw a farang eat there.

The only place I have never tried if you can call it a gay restaurant is the one at the Malaysia Hotel.

Aunty
December 6th, 2007, 16:20
What always gets me about you cheap sluts, is how you expect Gordon fuckin Ramsey for your 2 shitty bucks. JESUS!

(By the way, if I was rude like an Australain, I'd be calling you guys cunts!)

December 6th, 2007, 17:02
THE BALCONY NEWSLETTER
December 2007

Dear Balcony Member,

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year to all our members and everyone who reads our monthly newsletter.
Our website www.balconypub.com (http://www.balconypub.com) has just been updated with the latest news from The Balcony so please take a look at the special offers and promotions we have in store for you.

BALCONYтАЩS ISAAN PARTY
We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who came along and enjoyed our Isaan Party, held during Pride week. The charity collection raised a total of Baht 8245 which has now been distributed as follows:
AIDS Temple: Baht 4667; Swing: Baht 1867; Rainbow Sky: Baht 1711.

You can see many more photos from the Isaan Party and many others from Pride week at: http://www.balconypub.com/gallery.html

EVENTS FOR DECEMBER

Christmas Concert: If you enjoy our Isaan nights you'll love our Isaan Christmas Concert on 13 December featuring Isaan singing star Man Maneewan.

Christmas Cabaret: On Thursday 20 December we have our traditional Christmas Cabaret with a line up of local and international talent.

Christmas Buffet: Our traditional Christmas Dinner Buffet will be on Monday 24 December. Roast Turkey, Ham and all the trimmings will be available from 4.00pm onwards. Costing only Baht 350 per head, the Dinner will be Free to our members from 4.00pm to 6.00pm.

Christmas Party Night: On Tuesday 25 December, Santa will be visiting us at Midnight in his Merry TukTuk. Fun & Games plus a little present if youтАЩre lucky J

New YearтАЩs Eve Party: Monday 31 December is the date and as always, New YearтАЩs Eve is the busiest night of the year. Make sure you get here early to get a seat. Join in the Midnight countdown and stay as long as you like because the party will be going on until dawn.

Food & Drinks News

Our new food menu is now out and contains several new items requested by you, our members. Along with the excellent Thai dishes, our international menu now contains Burgers, Baked Potatoes and several other mouthwatering additions. We have also welcomed a new cook onto our staff who was previously at one of PattayaтАЩs 5 star hotels. WeтАЩre sure you will now enjoy dining with us even more.

This month we have special offers on:
* Chivas Regal: only 1800 Baht per Bottle including All your ice & standard mixers.
* Butterscotch & Vanilla Mickey Finns: Only 600 Baht per Bottle.
* Our Beer of the Month is Leo at just 69 Baht.
* The Wine List has been totally revised with new wines from Australia & Chile.
* The Festive Season Cocktails are:
Christmas Martini (Gin, Dry Vermouth & Peppermint Schnapps) and
New YearтАЩs Sunrise (Tequila, Butterscotch, Melon Schnapps & Grenadine)
Full details can be seen at: http://www.balconypub.com/events.html

MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES

The MemberтАЩs notice board at The Balcony is where you can see all those businesses that offer discounts to our members. The list is also on line on our тАШMemberтАЩs PerksтАЩ page so that you can refer to it at any time. There is also a web link to all those participating venues that have their own website.
If you are a business owner and would like to offer discounts to members of The Balcony please contact us at info@balconypub.com

SILOM SOI 4 WEBSITE

DonтАЩt forget to keep checking the new Silom Soi 4 website www.silomsoi4.net (http://www.silomsoi4.net) There are photos from Pride Week & The Miss Jumbo Contest and details of the new bars in the Soi. In addition to details about the Soi 4 area there are contact details for all the bars and links to their websites. The Calendar Page shows you all the upcoming events in the Soi and there are several interesting items and event photos on the news page. http://www.silomsoi4.net/soi4news.html

Once again, thank you to everyone who has visited us recently and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

SeasonтАЩs Greetings
Best Regards
From the Management & Staff

The Balcony
86-88 Silom Soi 4
Bangkok 10500

www.balconypub.com (http://www.balconypub.com)

December 6th, 2007, 17:38
Dear Wowpow,

Thanks as always for keeping everyone up to date with all the information, we all owe you a debt for constantly saving everyone the time and trouble searching and googling! [ regardless, of my sometimes, not so witty comments to a sensitive soul like you! ]

Anyway, I am unsure as to my whereabouts on the Balcony's party nights, I have a few hospital appointments in the interim.

I wish all of you on the board a Happy Christmas and New Year 2008, hope it goes well for you all, and no "spoilt holidays!"

All the best,

Kevin.

anakot
December 6th, 2007, 18:17
Yes thank you Mr Wow Pow.
Saves googling

December 6th, 2007, 19:03
Well, lads, I've been busy digesting all that you have written about your beloved Balcony and concluded that maybe I'm being a bit harsh in my treatment of this venerable gay mecca. So to ensure you that I'm not at all prejudiced, I'll even reveal a new accolade that Balcony has received but has so far been reluctant to acknowledge.

It's mixed drinks have been approved as safe for consumption by members of Alcoholics Anonymous!

And Anacrotch, hope you found your fill of old men over 50 to 70 fat bald and hot at Balcony. Surely there's no better place to look.

Teddy bear inspired me to do some research so that Balcony's competition won't feel left out of the discussion. (And, yes, mate, the Balcony boys vow to make good on their promise to fork over a free bowl soup for your usual bum-kissin performance).

TELEPHONE PUB

http://www.telephonepub.com/TPindex.htm

Since April we have been celebrating Telephone Pub turning 20 years old each month. Thursday December 20 is our last monthly celebration sponsored by Smirnoff Ice. We have some exciting surprises planned during the night with the first one at 10:30 pm then at 11 pm, 11:30 pm and at midnight. We hope to see everyone at this final celebration. Also Smirnoff Ice will be 20% off beginning on 17 December and ending on December 20 for our party.

November 19 another donation was made to the Wat Phra Baht Nam Phu (AIDS Temple). This donation represented monies collected since October thru mid-November from the Telephone Pub Halloween lucky draw, the 4.5 liter bottle of Johnny Walker lucky draw, Telephone Pride Night 50/50 lucky draw, BalconyтАЩs Issan party, Telephone PubтАЩs book sale, November Soi 4 events and donation boxes from friends of Telephone businesses. The amount donated was 29,817 Baht. The total amount donated so far this year is 214,945.75 Baht.
Fundraising will continue in December with plans to make a big year end donation in early January. We still want to fill our тАЬCoins for the WatтАЭ water bottle by years end. So please stop by with your coins.

Telephone PubтАЩs annual Christmas Dinner Buffet will be on Christmas day, 25 December with two sittings at 7 pm and 9 pm. On the menu is roasted turkey and baked ham with Thai entrees. Reservations are recommended. See our тАЬEventтАЭ page for complete details.

Another annual event is on 31 December and of course this is the big New YearтАЩs Eve party. Telephone Pub will be staying open until the wee hours...very very late. See our тАЬEventтАЭ page.

MENU SUGGESTIONS

SPICY TUNA SALAD--A wonderful taste sensation with a spiciness expected of Thai salads. Tomato, celery leaves, snake beans combined with tuna together with a small amount of chilli make this dish spicy enough for a Thai and just about right for the non-Thai palate.

тАЬTOM YAM KHUNGтАЭ HOT & SOUR SOUP with shrimp
тАЬTOM KHA KAIтАЭ CHICKEN SOUP with coconut milk & spices
MIXED SEAFOOD RED CURRY CASSEROLE with coconut milk
тАЬPAT THAIтАЭ FRIED THIN NOODLES with shrimp in an Omelette
тАЬPAD SEE EAWтАЭ RICE NOODLES stir fried with soy sauce, beef, pork or chicken
тАЬPAD SEE EAWтАЭ STIR FRIED RICE NOODLES with shrimp
тАЬMASSAMANтАЭ RED CURRY with potatoes and chicken, pork, or beef
тАЬPANAENGтАЭ CHICKEN, PORK or BEEF CURRY in thick coconut milk
BANANA BLOSSOM SALAD with shrimps & minced pork
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RICHARDтАЩS PUB

http://www.richards-bangkok.com/

RichardтАЩs a welcoming place where you are assured a friendly greeting. It is next door to one of Bangkok's most popular discos, so late at night you can sit out front on our veranda and watch the boyz go by.
We offer great food and drinks at a good price. Our music is from the 70's and played at a level that you can talk with your friends. Our friendly, handsome and Thai/English/Japanese speaking waiters are ready to serve you.

We offer a wide selection of Thai and Western foods, including, salads, sandwiches, steaks, pastas and desserts.

The Loft upstairs area for your private party, which we can fully arrange for you. We also offer catering service for parties you may wish to have at your home.
Ricahrd's popular Friday Buffets, 200 Baht for all you can eat.
December
Friday 7 Pasta Mania Feast

Friday 14 Bar-B-Q Cook-Out

Friday 21 A Taste of Thai Cuisine

Monday 24 Christmas Eve Soiree

Tuesday 25 Christmas Buffet

Friday 28 Bar-B-Q Cook-Out

Monday 31 Countdown Party
MENU SUGGESTIONS
CRAB STIR FRIED with chili paste
CRAB STIR FRIED with yellow curry
MIXED SEAFOOD CASSEROLE in red curry