PDA

View Full Version : Vatican suspends senior "gay" cleric

andrewcraig
October 14th, 2007, 11:05
cut and paste from Melbourne Age

Vatican probes Monsignor's 'gay remarks'
October 14, 2007 - 8:19AM

The Vatican said it has suspended a Monsignor from a senior post at the Holy See after an Italian TV program, with a hidden camera, recorded him making advances to a young man and asserting gay sex was not sinful.

Vatican teaching holds that homosexual activity is a sin.

Vatican spokesman the Reverend Federico Lombardi said that while the case was under investigation the Italian Monsignor was suspended from his job.

"I can't deny the fact," Lombardi told journalists after Rome daily La Repubblica wrote that a top official in the Congregation of the Clergy was suspended from his post after Vatican officials recognised his office in the background of the program, which was broadcast on October 1 on La7, a private Italian TV network.

"Higher-ups are evaluating the situation with the necessary reserve and with the obligatory respect for the person involved, even if this person has erred," Lombardi said.

Vatican officials "had to intervene decisively and with the severity required by conduct not compatible with priestly service and with the mission of the Holy See," said Lombardi, who did not identify the Monsignor by name.

While the Vatican rarely comments on individual sex scandals, this case directly touched the Holy See, apparently prompting the confirmation of the report.

Contacted by telephone at his home by AP, Monsignor Tommaso Stenico confirmed he had been suspended from his post at the congregation.

"Don't condemn me," Stenico said. "The interview was done fraudulently," he added, referring to the hidden camera used by La7's program, Exit.

Stenico said to call back later in the day when he would have more to say, but later calls were not successful in reaching him.

The Italian news agency ANSA quoted Stenico as saying in a brief interview he had sent his superiors "a dutiful memo" about the case.

Milan daily Corriere della Sera had previously reported that the young man had contacted La7 and told the TV he had been in contact with several priests on chat lines popular with homosexuals. Corriere said La7 then filmed encounters between the man and priests with a hidden camera.

A woman identifying herself as a producer for Exit declined to comment about the case, adding only that the program could be viewed on La7's website.

In the program, the faces of those speaking with the young man are obscured and their voices altered so they would not be recognised.

The man La Repubblica identified as the Vatican official can be heard saying that "he didn't feel he was sinning" by having sex with gay men and asking his visitor if he liked him.

La Repubblica said Vatican officials recognised the office in which one priest was filmed on La7 - and that it was the Monsignor's office.

gearguy
October 15th, 2007, 10:36
in order to help correct all the mis-understanding about the Church's view on homosexuality.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/10 ... index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/10/14/gay.monsignor.ap/index.html)

and I just pretended to suck that cute guy off last night.

Marsilius
October 15th, 2007, 16:45
Latest update (from today's edition of The Times):

" Yesterday he [the priest, Monsignor Tommaso Stenico] claimed that he was prending to be gay in order to unmask a Satanic plot to seduce Catholic priests to homosexuality and thus discredit the Church. "I only pretended I was gay to study how priests are seduced," said Mgr Stenico, a frequent guest on television programmes discussing religious issues. "There are people who go after them... I really believe there is a diabolical plan by groups of Satanists." "

Well, that's all right, then!