View Full Version : Why Pattaya over other Thailand locations

kjun12
October 12th, 2007, 19:46
It appears that most people who post here are located in or go to Pattaya more than other locations in Thailand. Why is this. Is it the sex? I have been to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok and other places that I found much more interesting than Pattaya. Just trying to find out if I have missed something.

October 12th, 2007, 20:02
... love the excitement of a beach holiday, the beach, beach night life, Pattaya has a reputation of being easy (in all respects), its in your face.

Brad the Impala
October 12th, 2007, 20:11
And I suppose swimming with faeces is a more impersonal way of enjoying coprophilia, if you're into that sort of thing.

October 12th, 2007, 23:20
kjun12 - I've made the same observation as you. The way I figure it, it's like this: a substantial proportion, if not the majority, of those who retire to or live in Thailand, seem to be located in Pattaya. Pattaya being their home, their interest is naturally centered on that town, and since they're here round the year, they tend to post more per head than those who merely visit.

Once a board acquires a reputation as Pattaya-centric (in fact I would characterise this board as Sunnee-centric), it tends to attract postings from even visitors to Thailand who are primarily interested in Pattaya, esp Sunnee.

This, even as most gay visitors to Thailand do not go to Pattaya. The vast majority seldom venture out of Bangkok - especially Asian visitors who tend to do short trips but more frequently than westerners (their home countries being nearer). As visitors, their interest in Thailand and Thai web forums is not as sustained as those who live in Thailand. People like Bucknaway are exceptions. Buck for example seem to have nothing better to do even when he's back home :) On top of that, if the visitor is Asian, he would rarely participate in a board like this since English is not his language.

The result is that the weightage of posting subjects in these forums is skewed in favour of the interests of the English-conversant residents, even though headcount-wise, there are far more gay visitors (including non-English-speaking ones) in Bangkok than in Pattaya. Yes, there is hardly any talk of Chiangmai or Phuket, though the fact is there is a steady stream of gay visitors to both these places. But visitors would not spend every week of the year (every day?) talking about thier favourite places in Thailand, like some residents might.

I know that if I, for example, am not visiting Thailand for a while, I will likely disappear from this board. My interest will shift to other places that I am planning towards.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 12th, 2007, 23:27
that's why. Oh and sun, sea and sex. cheap accommodation and cheap eats.

what more do you want..if you want to get off the beaten track there are some beautiful places..if you just want to indulge..Pattaya is the easiest.

and ..you can find me in a bar if you really look hard.

October 12th, 2007, 23:36
For me it is the ease of getting around. One can walk to most places in the eevening. Yes having the gogo's clustered does make it easier and more enjoyable. Also the feeling of being somehwere where it is ok to just be yourself. However that being said if I was to try retireing there Chiang Mai would be my first pick.

sjaak327
October 13th, 2007, 02:12
For me Pattaya becomes boring after a few days. Let's face it, there is no need to come there for the beach, as it's absolutely shite. Jomtien is better beachwise. Nightlife in Bangkok is way better and more varied then Pattaya. Same goes for shopping and food.

In short I wouldn't know why someone would go to pattaya :)

But of course many retired people choose to live there. That's why this board seems so Pattaya focused.

Wesley
October 13th, 2007, 02:33
More gay Guys and Bars per square meter than any place on earth!

October 13th, 2007, 04:56
Pattaya bash all you like. Pattaya is an absolutely fabulous place to live. I love living here.

October 13th, 2007, 05:31
I like Pattaya because of the many friends that I have met there. We, as gay men, live in a world where there are very few places where we can enjoy the company and friendship of so many retired gay men that have had many of the same life experiences as we have had. If you think back to the 80s' and 90's many if not most of the gay men that are now of retirement age died of AIDS. I lost many, many, many friends during that time, and it is good for me to reestablish friendships with older gay guys now that have the free time to "go out and play." All of the cute young guys and bars are also big plus. :bounce:

dab69
October 13th, 2007, 07:17
after 32 hours of airplanes and airports, I can barely ride 2 more hours in a car to make the beach and get away from bangkok .

October 13th, 2007, 11:39
I like Pattaya because of the many friends that I have met there. We, as gay men, live in a world where there are very few places where we can enjoy the company and friendship of so many retired gay men that have had many of the same life experiences as we have had. If you think back to the 80s' and 90's many if not most of the gay men that are now of retirement age died of AIDS. I lost many, many, many friends during that time, and it is good for me to reestablish friendships with older gay guys now that have the free time to "go out and play." All of the cute young guys and bars are also big plus. :bounce:I like Bangkok because of the many friends that I have met there. We, as gay men, live in a world where there are very few places where we can enjoy the company and friendship of so many retired gay men that have had many of the same life experiences as we have had. If you think back to the 80s' and 90's many if not most of the gay men that are now of retirement age died of AIDS. I lost many, many, many friends during that time, and it is good for me to reestablish friendships with older gay guys now that have the free time to "go out and play." All of the cute young guys and bars are also big plus. :bounce:

October 13th, 2007, 16:46
I like Bangkok because of the many friends that I have met there.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/eek.gif You have friends? Who would have believed it? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/headscratch.gif

G.

bing
October 13th, 2007, 17:24
Why is Pattaya so popular with older guys. I may be that we have been to other places and find Pattaya more fun. This is the case with me, Personally, I love Mexico with Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco. Brazil with its fine weather and wonderful beaches is a neat spot too. But Thailand is primo. I love Bangkok, but Pattaya is still the place that rates my vote for where I like to go for a vacation. I leave Pattaya with the feeling that 2 or 3 weeks was just not long enough.

October 13th, 2007, 17:41
You have friends? Who would have believed it?My dear boy I now have them hanging on your latest riposte to whatever I write here. It would appear that you feel compelled to respond to my every post these days, even if with a yawn (just to show us you're still awake, is it?) and one of the more enterprising among them is now running a book on how many posts this will continue for. Regrettably (as I like a bit of a flutter) I'm ruled out since it seems I'm able to provoke you at every turn and therefore can skew the results. Still, I suppose it fills up the gaps in the meditations/go-go boys oscillation

October 13th, 2007, 22:21
I like Pattaya because of the number of English speaking retired people that provide a soial support network. It is nice to have someone to go to dinner, out for the eveing, etc. I also have a Thai bf that likes it here, especially as he can get around easily, and there is plenty of native food stands very close.

jolyjacktar
October 14th, 2007, 01:22
I love Pattaya and Bangkok and Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai and London Docks and Blackpool Tower and Fish and chips from a chippy at the docks in Plymouth.I like being a skipper of a Tug boat from Hull and most of all I LIKE BEING MONTYS BATMAN.
Just remember "I will be your Huckleberry :cat: "

dave_tf-old
October 16th, 2007, 17:16
Pattaya has never been my main destination, and half of my trips to Thailand have not included it on the itinerary. Still, I have enjoyed times there as a "vacation within a vacation", usually with a guy I met in Bangkok. I don't think I would enjoy 2-4 weeks there after the first few days, and don't have it at all on my list of fantasy places to retire to.

I think the observations as to why this board is pattaya-centric are spot-on. Wherever the destination, I'm much more of a consumer of information than a provider.

And...greetings, board. I thought I'd lost you.