PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Hotel review

October 12th, 2007, 10:05
I stayed at the Tarntawan Hotel last weekend, on the recommendation of several members of this Forum in previous posts. I didn't stay in their most basic room, but in a Deluxe Surawong Room, just to make sure I got a double bed and not twin beds; I'd read the horror stories on that score. On the whole, value for money. The room was fine; the Wi Fi internet reception was excellent (5 bars and no problems), the flat-screen TV worked and the room came equipped with a DVD player (both Sony). On the downside, I'd heard they received the Australian TV station that I watch in Singapore, but that wasn't provided, just CNN and BBC World, and I'm not really big on 24-hour news. The bathroom was so-so. I like a walk-in shower and as in so many places - I've now seen on-line ads for condos in Pattaya that are the same - it's a step-in bath. I do wonder for those who have arthritis or other leg problems how they manage (unfortunately London's just the same. I was staying at the Marriott Maida Vale a couple of months ago and that was a step-in, and a huge step it was, too). And at the Tarntawan the water from the shower went everywhere over the floor, even with the shower curtain in place. I'd probably stay there again, if it was only a weekend. Extra towels are 50 baht per day. It's the little things like that which make or break a stay.

Alan-old
October 12th, 2007, 11:52
The next issue of SPICE, coming out in mid October, will have a review of the Tarntawan.

October 12th, 2007, 12:18
I've stayed at the Tarntawan Hotel. If you require a 100% gay environment it's your place. I found it overpriced for the quality of rooms and service, and the elevator guard is a little over the top. There are much better values for cash in the area. I stay at the Trinity Silom, a business class hotel, just behind Bangkok Bank for 1,300 baht including a buffet breakfast. They are very professional and accepting of gays and their guest.

danny99
October 12th, 2007, 13:34
What a plastic palace!

I booked there once [at their special internet rate] but they stuffed up the booking as their computer was malfunctioning, so they subsequently offered my 2 nights for cost of one next visit which I accepted. Even at half the discounted special internet price I still felt it was very poor value. As for the arrogant little shit who guards the elevator...I had already been very embarrassed when taking up a long time friend [youngish but not a business boy] the previous night, however he met his match the following night when after dining with the Thai wife of a friend and their 7-y-o son, she wanted to have a look at the room but they were stopped by that little runt asking for ID. I have no idea what she said to him [she a very elegant and stylish young lady from very successful Thai family, I am sure her schooling at private girls school in Sydney had helped broaden her language skills even if it all had to be converted back to Thai] but his ears almost turned red, and he just nodded continuously. I could not help but notice the secret half-hidden smirks on the faces of the reception staff, I guess he is not that well loved!

The food in their minute cafe at front is atrocious, but the ultimate insult is their house music. Who but stupid celibate old queens could stand to listen to the strangled warbling of Doris Day night, and day!

October 12th, 2007, 17:27
Who but stupid celibate old queens could stand to listen to the strangled warbling of Doris Day night, and day!George would feel quite at home, then?

October 12th, 2007, 18:18
Who but stupid celibate old queens could stand to listen to the strangled warbling of Doris Day night, and day!George would feel quite at home, then?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/sleeping.gif

Hmmm
October 12th, 2007, 18:45
just CNN and BBC World, and I'm not really big on 24-hour news.

Welcome to Thailand's idea of a premium international cable TV service.

kjun12
October 12th, 2007, 19:39
When I stayed there the bed cover was filthy. When I complained they simply removed it and never replaced it so I moved. I have never thought the place deserved the accolades it receives.

October 12th, 2007, 20:34
just CNN and BBC World, and I'm not really big on 24-hour news.
Welcome to Thailand's idea of a premium international cable TV service.
Probably true but at least they're 100% better than Fox News !

October 12th, 2007, 21:57
The Teletubbies are better than Fox News

piston10
October 13th, 2007, 06:23
so with hotels. There is no hotel that will fulfil the requirements and aspirations of every reader of this board. (I had an interesting example some time ago, when I criticised a Pattaya hotel for things that I considered important - a bathroom so small that even little me couldn't get into the shower without sitting on the toilet seat and shutting the door first, clear and serious dangers to guests in the case of a fire, window frames that were not mosquito-proof, etc. I was amazed that I was told by several posters that they didn't consider any of these points important - and the price was right!)

Historically (that is, in the annals of this board) Tarntawan Place is praised and subsequently denigrated, or vice-versa. This time it's vice-versa, not because I think it should suit everyone, but because the criticisms of Curious and danny are odd and very selective.

'Plastic palace' suggests a hotel of Las Vegas vulgarity. The decor of the Tarntawan may be standard, conventional, even a little faded, but vulgar it is not. And I have difficulty in recalling anything that was actually plastic - a material I am no friend of.

Agreed the security man on the entrance to the lift at night is hardly a laughing boy and I fully believe what danny says about his being tactless, or even unpleasant. Still, I have to remember I'm certainly beholden to him for a service he did me on one occasion. (Is one beholden after giving a tip? Discuss.) But what about the dishy guy in the flat hat who greets you with twinkling eyes, a broad smile and a few sweet nothings when you come down to breakfast in the morning? (What a Goddam boring job for a healthy, active young man - but I suppose he's glad to have it.)

What about the rest of the staff? The two nice doormen, the short one who should be called Lek, but isn't, and the chatty one whose remarks are difficult to interpret, but who put a lot of effort into acquainting me with the music on his iPod. What about the helpful reception staff, who admittedly cocked up badly for me once, but did everything to put the matter right? What about the lovely, straightfaced 'universal mum' who is the cashier? She was always ready to make phonecalls, arrangements, or find out information for me - usually offering advice on how to save money. The waiting staff in the lobby restaurant - even the severe and rather grand one, who came into her own one night when a guy on reception tried to sell her to me. (I wish I could have understood all the Thai banter between them!) What about the charming domestic staff - the ladies who cleaned my room scrupulously every day and dealt with all my little accidents as if nothing had happened? (I hasten to add I am referring to the beer bottle I dropped on the tiles, scattering shards of glass all over the room, etc.) The nice lad who brings your laundry up in the evening?

The 'caf├й' in the lobby is said to be 'minute', but does it serve its purpose? After all, the hotel is comparatively small and I do not recall ever seeing a queue waiting for a table at breakfast. If everyone is seated and served, why should a restaurant be larger? In so far as it sees itself as a restaurant, the food is certainly not gastronomic - you wouldn't take anyone out to dinner there. Still, I found, after a bit of experimenting, there were things I could eat and it served its purpose on the few occasions when I had not the time or the energy to go searching Greater Bangkok for food. (I mean, when I was in a hurry to get round to Solid!)

About lifting my leg to get into a bath I have nothing to say. Thank goodness that's a bit theoretical for me at the moment. Nor did I ever flood the bathroom because of the shower curtain. (The same could not be said for the Thai boys, who seem to treat the bathroom like a kiddies paddling pool!)

kjun12's 'filthy bed cover' sounds a bit unpleasant. Since TP is a gay hotel, it's perhaps a good thing he spared us the details! Personally, I have never had dirty bedding there. Complete change of bed linen every day, plenty of towels - and when the domestic staff caught on it was 'party night' in room *** they usually put a pile of extra towels outside the door without my asking. It may be, of course, that the charge for extra towels has been recently introduced.

And the price? Well, for a very long-term stay I was offered a room at 800 baht below the rack rate (January, February, March). Very fair, it seemed to me. How the price hits you depends on your funds, of course; but I was aware that I had a fairly large room, comfortable, with flowers and fruit, pleasant staff, in the centre of a major city, everything arranged for my particular kind of holiday in Thailand - and at half or a third of the cost of a back bedroom in a bed-and-breakfast in the middle of the Welsh mountains - in November, of course.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - rather pointless on SGT, apart from anything else. I just want to 'correct' what seem to me very incomplete accounts of a hotel in which many people feel happy. (I have no shares in the hotel and am not a friend of the owner - though I doubt whether he considers me an enemy.)

October 13th, 2007, 07:36
piston, i agree with your comments--I have stayed at the Tartawan off and on for over 20 years--long before it was a "gay" place to stay. There is much to be said for it--obviously, its location and gay friendliness and its popularity, it seems, with Japanese businessmen hustling young ladies back there seem to keep it at petty good occupancy rate.

This summer friends and I discovered that the rate for the front rooms had gone up to almost 2500 baht a day--rooms at the back still around 2150, I think. The reason I was given is that the new Suriwong Rd deluxe rooms had been newly rennovated and had many nicer features. Well, we booked them and the only new thing I did notice was that there was a maroon, Thai-style sash draped across the foot of the bed, and there was now a dvd player in the room--otherwise, everything else seemed exactly the same as when I had stayed there just months before??

However, I still do enjoy it and find the staff friendly and have always gotten along just fine with both of the security guards that are by the lift--both always smile and have a courteous greeting--it surprises me that anyone finds them unfriendly?!--but, as was said, different perspectives and experiences certainly.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, a friend of mine staying there at the same time was also charged 50 baht as he has requested an additional clean towel--he had returned back in the afternoon after a day of shopping had showered, used one of the two large, shower/bath towels, then and gone to sleep--gotten up, gone out for the night, returned with a lad and, as his earlier towel was still damp and fallen to the floor, he requested one more so both he and the lad would have a clean towel--I mention this as I do think that charging for an occasional extra towel, when already charging extra for the "deluxe" room, seems a bit petty--if some guest was going overboard with requesting more and more extra towels, then certainly address it, but for one extra towel?? Also, as there are other options, especially during low season, at comparable prices or less than half (the Pinnacle), etc.

It may be that since they have a good occupancy rate, they charge more, pass it off due to added features and rennovations (not really accurate), and really don't care if some guests return or not?

Hmmm
October 13th, 2007, 08:58
We recently had a discussion on what you could get for your money hotel-wise towards the lower end of the market, around 1200 baht/night (eg Trinity, Plaza, etc.).

While some people are happy to pay a premium for a 'gay' hotel, what are the alternatives in Silom at around 2500+ baht/night that the Tarntawan charges ?

October 13th, 2007, 10:54
My major problem with Tarntawan Place is getting a room there. They get heavily booked especially weekends.

It is gay friendly, has a great location, spacious comfortable rooms with free WiFi, breakfast 24 hours and in my experience pleasant staff. Tip - ask for "machine coffee" at breakfast.

I find the price a little high for the product but it's high occupancy says it is OK for most. The 50 baht for an extra towel, understandably niggles some in this land of incredibly cheap laundries. There are very few mid range 4* hotels around that don't have a joiners fee. If you don't have joiners then the Siam Heritage or Tawana (no longer a Ramada) are alternatives but your boyfriend may get looks.

All hotels have occasional blips and some rooms nicer than others. I never had anyone complain about having a shower in the bathtub in my long career in hotel management. They are common so it might be wise to ask for an invalid room in any hotel without a walk-in shower.

I am booked to stay at The Tarntawan next week and have every confidence that I will enjoy my stay as I have always done on previous occasions.

October 13th, 2007, 11:36
I never had anyone complain about having a shower in the bathtub in my long career in hotel managementWhat would be the point in complaining? It's a fixture so not something management can readily change. I thought Curious' comment was more to do with the problems of getting older and given the fact that many condos are bought by retirees, having a step-in bath might rule them out of purchase contention automatically. The last time I was in the Tarntawan dining area it was populated largely by an age group that would have some difficulty getting their leg over anything, including the rim of a bath. And since I've mentioned the dining room, I do wonder whether Dick's Cafe employs the sister of the cook at the Tarntawan Hotel; the food is equally pedestrian

krobbie
October 13th, 2007, 14:14
This is not strictly Tarntawan post: but in regards shower in bath ... the bain of my existance!

I know I am a minority, minority, but as an amputee a walk in with shower stool for me is bliss. Trying to find this hower is a nightmare. Kevin I hope you are reading this for further reference?

When was the last time anyone actually hadf a bath? For christ sake. Just shower and get back out there.

In Phuket in May I slipped in the bath / shower (one leg wonder) while trick is lying on the bed. I had to pretend I had no pain as I came back to bed for the happy finish. I mean how embarrassing? He must have heard me crash onto my arse.

This from the hotel that said absolutely no problem with walk-in shower and shower stool when I booked and again inquired twice more to check all was fine. NOT! Fucking straight hotels. Lie through their teeth.

Still no luck for next visit but at least not setting myself up for disappoinment as have already had the conversation.

Is this more boring than Bucks taxi ride???

October 13th, 2007, 15:56
Hi Krobbie,

The previous venue we had, had walk in showers and a seat in the suites for ease.

The design worked very well and was well thought out by the guy who did the design and construction, I bleieve it worked well, so I was going to continue with that style in the bathrooms.

You even had enough space for five people in there, no problem.

Dick
October 13th, 2007, 16:24
A point not to be overlooked, is that your boy will like staying at the Tarntawan. He is made to feel welcome!
To a greater extent, the Tarntawan is classless... it's 'gay class', so you won't loose any points when your prospective date is summing you up and you're asked 'how much your shirt', 'how much you earn', 'which hotel you stay', etc.

If you have problems or need help or advice, the staff at the Tarntawan will do their very best to help you. You can't fault them for service. Probably one of the best hotels for the newbie to Bangkok to stay at, and likely as not they will return.

October 13th, 2007, 19:03
I am staying at the Tarntawan Place Hotel in November, and have booked a room for a few nights, before going on to Pattaya. I asked for a room above the 4th floor, and facing the front of the hotel. They said this will be a Deluxe Surawong room, queen size bed, including American breakfast, tax and services.

The rate is: Deluxe Surawong room (front facing of hotel) THB 3000 (Special internet rate)
Deluxe Surawong room (front facing of hotel) THB 2,700 (friend of Dick's Cafe rate)

Deluxe room (back facing of hotel) THB 2,700
Deluxe room (back facing of hotel) THB 2,300 (Friend of Dick's Cafe rate)

I read on here when booking to say you want the "friend of Dick's cafe rate". This is cheaper than the normal rate.

Here is part of the comment they wrote in an e-mail to me:

Since 01 March 2007, our front-facing rooms have been upgraded
to offer superior bedding, fruit/flowers, bathrobes, turndown service and
they now also include a DVD player with a selection of complimentary movies.
There are now called "Surawong Deluxe Rooms".

The front-facing rooms have always been our most popular as they afford the most
natural light, given the floor-to-ceiling windows. Your regular special rate is certainly
still available; however, this new option guarantees you some excellent extra touches!

pronto
October 13th, 2007, 20:35
However, I still do enjoy it and find the staff friendly and have always gotten along just fine with both of the security guards that are by the lift--both always smile and have a courteous greeting--it surprises me that anyone finds them unfriendly?!--but, as was said, different perspectives and experiences certainly.

The negative comments about the elevator security guards surprises me also. I, too, have always had most courteous greetings from them. (And, one in particular, I consider to be a rather attractive fellow!) I've not had the opportunity to stay there as often as many others on the Board, but my times there have been quite pleasant with excellent service.

October 13th, 2007, 20:51
I've always assumed the Tarntawan policy to be in their guests' best interests - always ID anyone going to a room as either staff, guest (therefore checked in) or visitor. In the case of Thai visitors they demand a formal ID. Given the number of murders the old Suriwong Hotel has had over the years by street boys of hotel guests, I think it's eminently sensible. Once past security anyone can wander at will; nothing confines them to the room of the person they are at first accompanying. The guys who object are usually the ones who've picked up some number off the street or in the park who can't produce formal ID (in itself a warning sign) and who get all hoity toity about other peoples' security interfering with their simple pleasures

October 14th, 2007, 00:20
(Since 01 March 2007, our front-facing rooms have been upgraded
to offer superior bedding, fruit/flowers, bathrobes, turndown service and
they now also include a DVD player with a selection of complimentary movies.
There are now called "Surawong Deluxe Rooms".

The front-facing rooms have always been our most popular as they afford the most
natural light, given the floor-to-ceiling windows. Your regular special rate is certainly
still available; however, this new option guarantees you some excellent extra touches!)

Blacktouch--that is much the reply I got as well when making a booking over the summer--I just find it not that accurate--I had stayed there before the supposed "upgrade" and then after--as I noted earlier, the sash on the bed and the DVD player were the only real upgrades noted--the bathrobes had been there before, there had always been a small vase of a few flowers in the room, and the turndown service was more an annoyance than a help--certainly, they can raise the rates as they choose--now it appears, no surprise, that they are rasied for high season. Another thing that has come to mind are the actual beds--while they claim to have upgraded the bedding, the beds themselves are very hit and miss--has anyone else experienced this as well??--some very soft and mush, very bad for the backs, and while there this summer, the large bed had four pillows, I could not use any one of them as they were all super, super firm and had almost no give to them at all, using them guaranteed waking up with a neck ache.

As I have already, I agree that the lift guards are very nice and one, I agree, quite sexy- with a great smile-but not if you are into the slight, more effeminate lads -- they may be intimidating then, as they are men, not boys, and certainly not nellie boys!

October 14th, 2007, 09:02
... they are men, not boys, and certainly not nellie boys!I've seen some drag queens that have frightened the crap out of me

sydneyboy
October 14th, 2007, 16:59
I have stayed at the Tarntawan about 6 times the last time about 2 and a half years ago. The location is excellent and I have always been impressed with the service. A couple of occasions the room I have been allocated has not been ready and the matter was rectified the next morning. The lift security I have always found to be excellent. My only complaint was that the rooms were becoming rather shabby but there has been a refurbishment since my last visit. I started a thread last year asking for opinions about the "before and after" state of the rooms, and the consensus seemed to be that there was a discernable but not a spectacular improvement. Any further opinions on this point would be appreciated.

I have never understood the complaint that the Tarntawan was overpriced. To me it has always been excellent value. The Rose across the road was recently renovated and I started a thread recently that provoked a long and lively discussion. Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Tarntawan v the Rose in respect to quality and value based on experience?

October 14th, 2007, 19:18
populated largely by an age group that would have some difficulty getting their leg over anything, including the rim of a bathFabulous!

October 15th, 2007, 07:45
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Tarntawan v the Rose in respect to quality and value based on experience?I can't comment directly but I did notice that the Rose has a huge building being constructed directly in front of it, so right now you would have to factor in the noise from the builders. Isn't the Rose the hotel that was featured in a TV documentary a few years ago that showed pedophiles escorting under-age girls to their rooms?

krobbie
October 15th, 2007, 14:34
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Tarntawan v the Rose in respect to quality and value based on experience?[/quote]

Here is a thread from SGT a few weeks ago re: The Rose

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 12900.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/rose-hotel-bangkok-t12900.html)

October 15th, 2007, 14:53
I know I am a minority, minority, but as an amputee a walk in with shower stool for me is blissI know this is completely politically incorrect, but do you watch Boston Legal? There's a lovely episode in an early series where Denny Crane gets locked up when he tries to pick up someone in the street he believes to be an amputee because his father told him that the best sex he ever had was with a one-legged woman. The "pick-up" turns out to be a policewoman. Denny's defence is "Why would I pick up a hooker in the street? I have them coming around to my house all the time!". Case dismissed

krobbie
October 15th, 2007, 15:02
Seen it ... loved it.

Poo! on politically correct.

I'm still laughing homintern.

danny99
October 17th, 2007, 14:06
I have stayed at the Tarntawan about 6 times the last time about 2 and a half years ago. The location is excellent and I have always been impressed with the service. A couple of occasions the room I have been allocated has not been ready and the matter was rectified the next morning. The lift security I have always found to be excellent. My only complaint was that the rooms were becoming rather shabby but there has been a refurbishment since my last visit. I started a thread last year asking for opinions about the "before and after" state of the rooms, and the consensus seemed to be that there was a discernable but not a spectacular improvement. Any further opinions on this point would be appreciated.

I have never understood the complaint that the Tarntawan was overpriced. To me it has always been excellent value. The Rose across the road was recently renovated and I started a thread recently that provoked a long and lively discussion. Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Tarntawan v the Rose in respect to quality and value based on experience?

Before their renovation a few years ago I stayed at The Rose for a week or so every 2 months on my regular visits to Thailand. Although it was old, for the price that they then charged it was very reasonable, particularly with its convenient position. The old staff, some of whom had worked there back when it was a 'by the hour' hotel were very friendly and helpful, even to my regular visitors. I think the renovation was a disaster [I had put up with the construction noise over the previous 2 years as each floor was done], the already small rooms were now packed with useless cheap furniture and of course the price had doubled. By comparison I guess Tarntawan is much better, but also more expensive. For me The Malaysia @ 700 baht is the best value in Bangkok, just remember to book 2-3 months in advance as it is always full!

October 18th, 2007, 02:25
I have stayed at the Tarntawan for many years on my visits to Bangkok. It is conveniently located to just about all the gay night life in the area without need for a taxi. Hotel staff always very welcoming, security at the elevator is always friendly, rate includes breakfast for two, and the room make over certainly improved the appearance. It's not the Hyatt Regency but for the price I think a good value. Since I tend to stay with just one guy during anyone trip they have on numerous occasions let my friend check in the afternoon of my arrival as my flight is one of those late night arrivals. I advised them of the name and they just let him register along with me. Since he is a registered guest there is NO id card check at the elevator. Of course this would not work for those taking on numerous tricks during their stay. When I make my reservation I try to get a front facing room as I do like that natural light and the large windows. Looking forward to my next visit.

I have to agree with the statement regarding hard pillows but I generally find this true of most hotels. That's why I bring my own pillow. It is nice on the plane too.

October 20th, 2007, 10:34
Greetings from room 810 at Tarntawan Place.

My stay has been very pleasant with a warm welcome - even Director Lucas came to greet us. We received our name cards and a free drink at Balls bar card. The flowers on the reception desk were spectacular and so immaculately arranged that I suspected they were not real but they were. The smiling porter who greeted us brought the bags quickly. Reception staff and the security by the lift were smiling and polite. A waitress brought us a welcome iced green tea to the room.

You have to sign a paper saying that you know that extra guests have to leave their ID card. My Thai friend was with us and they asked for his ID but he was just popping upstairs to see the room. Security said nothing but the waitress who brought the drinks asked him to leave his ID at reception. I asked him how he felt about this and he said "Security very good". Logically I have to agree but I don't like it. Later I saw a customer with a boy at the security desk by the lift. The guard had a photocopy of something that looked like a passport and was looking totally confused as to what to do.

Early evening a bedside light bulb started flashing. I rang and it was changed within 7 minutes.

We had a delightful meal at* http://www.scoozipizza.com/ just down the road ( freshly sliced Parma ham, salad, ciabatta bread and superb olive oil at each table, home made pasta Carbonara, homemade ice cream ) Spasso's gourmet restaurant is behind this place. The wood fired pizza & pasta has been expanded and has an upstairs opened a couple of months ago. Seating is mostly at spacious communal tables. Service was nice and friendly.

Then on to Tawan Bar's 21st Anniversary Bodybuilder competition party. What fun and all within a couple of blocks of Tarntawan Place.

* name of restaurant corrected thanks to gearguy

October 20th, 2007, 11:36
Yes, Wowpow, I must agree--i read what some others wrote and saw a photo of flower arrangements on the desk in the room, etc, and my room just a few months ago, had no such flowers, no flat screen tv, no hi/fi--actually, the room was missing a number of the bathroom ammenties and you may have noticed, or not, the minibars--from which i rarely ever take a bevridge, have the temp set (not sure the correct comment--high or low) but set so that they are not very cold--so when i came back to the room late one evening and had forgotten to pick up my own drinks outside at the 7-11 and did pay some large amount for a coke light, it was not at all refreshing, as it was only ever so slightly cold--I looked into the minibar, thinking I might turn it up so that I could later have an actual cold drink, and discovered that they had taken the knob off of the temp control, so no adjustment up could be made. When I checked into my friend's room, his was the same way--this is the friend who was charged 50 baht for requesting an extra towel. I certainly have been in hotels that try to conserve electricity by turning down mini-bars when there are no guests in the room--the smart thing to do--as soon as the maid is cleaning the room as a guest checks out, have her turn the thing down, but please, allow a guest, who is paying for the deluxe room, and maybe actually taking a drink from the minibar to turn it up so that the drink is actually cold and refreshing.

Like wowpow and others, i, overall, enjoy the Tarntawan, and as I have said in an earlier post, perhaps because they have very good occupancy rates, they can afford not to care what guests think, but I do think, and friends of mine have agreed, that in the deluxe rooms, there should not be any silly 50 baht charge for an extra towel (unless some guest abuses the privilege and one should be able to have a minibar that actually delivers a cold drink, and if you are charging extra for the deluxe suriwong rooms as they flat screens, hi/fis then that should be the standard for those rooms--so when guests compare, as friends often stay there together, they don't think they are not being given their fair share!

gearguy
October 20th, 2007, 11:55
Do you mean Spasso's in Grand Hyatt? Or is there one closer to Tarntawan?

October 20th, 2007, 12:11
gearguy - sorry I got the name wrong it was

http://www.scoozihouse.com/

I'll amend my post. Thank you.

October 22nd, 2007, 16:58
I have stayed at Tarntawan Place many times (sometimes with my Mother in a suite of course!) I really have nothing but praise for this hotel and it's wonderful staff. I do however feel that it has begun pricing itself out of the market. I suppose it can be justified somewhat by the excellent location but there again tuk-tuk's are cheap.
My good friend Mike has since parted this world, he was a Director of this hotel and I will miss him greatly when next in BKK in February/March.
Overall I feel the Tarntawan Place is an excellent place to stay, I am not so sure if it could be considered good value. The staff are excellent and will ensure your stay is pleasant.
If you have never stayed there before, try it!