PDA

View Full Version : Vientiane

alipatt-old
October 12th, 2007, 09:16
I will be spending 2 days there in December and would welcome any insights

October 12th, 2007, 10:59
One of the former owners of Telephone Bar in Bangkok, Yves, runs a French restaurant in central Vientiane, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. I'd also say it's a bit on the pricey side. There are a few open-air restaurants down by the Mekong River that are well-priced but I'm not sure about the risk of mosquitoes in the evening - I only lunched there. Interestingly although I was with a Duty Mem'Sahib who spoke Lao (ie. he was from Isaan) the locals and he both decided to converse solely in Thai. The tuk-tuks are all of the rural Thailand variety ie. damn uncomfortable. The place was full of the White Trash of Asia when I was there almost two years ago. Just wait until Burma opens up and they can trek from Laos through Thailand and Burma to India - how ghastly that will be

Uranus
October 13th, 2007, 17:24
Around the fountain in "downtown" Wieng Chan (Vientiane) there are quite a few decent restaurants. The two French restaurants are quite reasonable, both price wise and in terms of food quallity. Forget the Italian restaurant Opera, expensive and middle of the road food.

The most popular one, at least with the expat community, is the one on th ecorner of the square diagonally opposite the Lane Xang Hotel. I think it is called Khap Chai, but not quite sure. Try their BBQ, for 70,000 kip (about USD 7), you have enough food for two.

billyhouston
October 14th, 2007, 04:30
Depends what sort of food you are looking for but, if it's European there's La Terrace, Cafe Namphou, Les Caves des Chateaux. The first next to Wat Mixay and the other two at Namphou. (I agree about L'Opera, ate there once and wouldn't go back) There's a Chinese Restaurant that's part of the Inter Hotel on Fa Ngum and further along Fa Ngum there's another.... which serves a local delicacy, Goat's Penis. I found it rather chewy to be honest.

krobbie
October 14th, 2007, 04:45
Billy perhaps it was chewy due to being "bone in". I think you're suppose to suck the meat off :la:

cheers

billyhouston
October 14th, 2007, 18:55
My chewy comment was intended to be 'tongue in cheek'.... or whatever.

You might also try some of the dozen or so beer bars/restaurants along T2 Road. 'Flower' and 'Khua Heaven' are great and the crowd is mostly local, university students and the like. The food is fine but they are hardly formal places, so perhaps somewhere in town would be more appropriate.

October 14th, 2007, 22:30
I definitely recommend les Caves des Chateaux -- especially if you have their daily grill specials -- they bring a small barbeque out to your table (assuming that you are eating on the square, which is very pleasant), and cook for you. House wine is okay, choice of bottled wine usually better.

Le Vendome is another favourite -- their outdoor terrace is very comfortable, and they do excellent home made rillettes and pates. Pastis is (US$) 1.25, and their house wine is better than les Caves des Chateaux. The wait staff have all been lobotomised, so don't expect anything more than a grunt out of them, although they seem to get orders right and someone inside the restaurant ensures that dishes make it to the correct table.

For Lao food, I liked Xayoh Cafe on Samsenthai -- it has a very clean look about it, and charming staff (at least, it did in June). Try the chicken larb with some sticky rice, and their excellent spring rolls. They have Beer Lao on tap, and I'm told the pizzas are very good too. Prices in Baht, Kip and US dollars.

One that I have not tried, but wanted to, was the following (from someone else's account):
For an aperitif before dinner, sample white and red French wines, accompanied by cheese, and cold cuts for a mere US$6.90 (B231) at World Wine Asia (364 Th. Samsenthai, 856-21-217700, www.worldwineasia.com (http://www.worldwineasia.com)).

October 15th, 2007, 00:34
One of the former owners of Telephone Bar in Bangkok, Yves, runs a French restaurant in central Vientiane, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. I'd also say it's a bit on the pricey side.

The restaurant is called "Le Central" and itтАЩs just a couple of meters from Nam Phu (Fountain Circle); if you have the Mae Khon river in your back and standing before the circle, turn into left. Just opp. the first T-junction.
I did not found any reason for visiting this place again.

Nam Phu is a popular meeting joint. Just sit there and wait. Someone handsome will turn up soon.

If you like dining late, try the Don Chan Palace Hotel and and join the fancy coffee shop. It's the one and only very popular night spot with a indeed very mixed and easy crowd.

October 15th, 2007, 11:34
DELETED

October 15th, 2007, 12:11
Thanks for the replies. I off on Tuesday!I off every day