PDA

View Full Version : where do gays go to die in thailand

andrewcraig
October 11th, 2007, 18:49
Besides baht-stop

A very dear friend of a number or regulars to LOS, has accepted his move at 82 from retirement village to
nursing home with full care. He has asked in the past if he could get nursing care in a gay environment in LOS.

He is far from senile but has had the prostrate operation The cold winters which he does not enjoy are his prime concern. Any suggestions and please not gaythailand.

October 11th, 2007, 21:08
Wow thats a tough one. A couple of years ago there was a lot of interest by the thai gov't to develop nursing homes or retirement communites in thailand for foreigners. It just kind of fizzled out tho. Try doing a google search for the required treatment centers. There may be a couple in bangkok area but will tkae some work to find them. I am guessing he has no family and has th finances to do this. Best of luck to him.

October 11th, 2007, 21:12
I just did a google search on retirement centers and there are several. One in Chiang Mai and others. The visa requirements will still have to be met tho. I just typed in "retirement centers in Bangkok thailand".

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 11th, 2007, 21:37
and seem to tumble over accidentally.

I've always said there is a fortune to be made in gay retirement homes, especially one in Pattaya.

And just think-a day outing to a go-go bar would do in most of the residents so there would be a constant turnover of clientele.

Maybe KQuill should invest in the Be Bop A Lulu Retirement Home for Aging Farangs.

Some say Pattaya itself is really just a giant retirement home.

October 11th, 2007, 23:11
Some say Pattaya itself is really just a giant retirement home.

Home of the Wanted and the Unwanted

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm retirement home ? It is a small resort town , has been called Pat pong on steroids, the sex and sand capital of Asia, and fun City. Pattaya has more sex workers per square mile than any other place on earth. Thais will tell you that Pattaya isn't the "real Thailand" but rather an Asian version of the Wild West. :clown:

bkkguy
October 12th, 2007, 00:13
Pattaya has more sex workers per square mile than any other place on earth.

and a link to stats supporting this claim?

bkkguy

October 12th, 2007, 04:41
Pattaya has more sex workers per square mile than any other place on earth.

and a link to stats supporting this claim?

bkkguy

www.no-link-my-pussy.com (http://www.no-link-my-pussy.com)

andrewcraig
October 12th, 2007, 07:05
I had a PM with an excellent contact, for just what we are looking for in Pattaya

I am unsure why the sender did not post but if he have no objections, I am happy to post the main detail

for the benefit of others.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 12th, 2007, 08:06
and I'm an old cowpoke.

What your friend needs is a full time carer..difficult but one could be found. Combined with access to a good doctor , at 82 he couldn't do any better than see out his days in the sun.

October 12th, 2007, 08:52
.....He has asked in the past if he could get nursing care in a gay environment in LOS......

Try to get that anywhere on the face of the planet!
Only recently there has been advertised a gay oriented retirement village in the San Francisco area. A huge untapped market if you ask me.

And it seems strange when you consider all the AIDS hospice and care facilities that are around. There certainly isn't a lack of compassion in the Gay community for those in the shadows of life.

catawampuscat
October 12th, 2007, 09:43
One sees few gay men past 75 or 80 y.o. in Pattaya.
My guess is that the sexual aspects of gay life in Pattaya wane with age and the importance of medical
care in one's home country and government health insurance benefits become more important than go go boys.

Those who can afford it can have private help and stay at home most of the time and go out on occasion. It is
also a tough town to get around with badly paved streets, hectic traffic, weaving motorbikes, poor nite lighting,
and smoky bars.

It also get more dangerous when one is too feeble to defend themselves and can be robbed easily and be too
frail to put up any resistance. (Like taking candy from a baby..).

There was a frail looking 79 y.o. in the news recently and he looked like an easy target. Foolish to take two boys at
once when you can't do anything but there is no fool like an old fool or so the saying goes...

If you don't have serious money after 80, you might take the high rise dive if serious illness hits or head home to your home country... :cat:

October 12th, 2007, 10:13
Some say Pattaya itself is really just a giant retirement home.As well as a giant seaside brothel?

Uranus
October 12th, 2007, 13:05
A giant seaside brothel for retirees.

October 12th, 2007, 16:14

The whole city of PTY is a whore house. :bounce:

andrewcraig
October 12th, 2007, 18:18

The whole city of PTY is a whore house. :bounce:

Welcome back we have missed you

jimnbkk
October 12th, 2007, 20:40
spending the rest of your life in close proximity, in the same building, as all the tired old queens that post here? It's enough to give this toq palpitations.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 12th, 2007, 20:57
"spending the rest of your life in close proximity, in the same building, as all the tired old queens that post here?"..

that's what we do every night in a go-go bar :shaking:

Aunty
October 13th, 2007, 04:22
"spending the rest of your life in close proximity, in the same building, as all the tired old queens that post here?"..

that's what we do every night in a go-go bar :shaking:

No wonder you drink!

lonelywombat
October 13th, 2007, 08:36
Once again an interesting thread becomes a slanging match

In todays Melbourne Age Is a New York Times article that should be read, it is sobering and relevant to the topic
of LGBT nursing homes in LOS. I have used cut and paste as links often not active after a day
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jane Gross
October 13, 2007
EVEN now, at 81 and with her memory beginning to fade, Gloria Donadello recalls her painful brush with bigotry at an assisted-living centre in Sante Fe, New Mexico.

Sitting with those she considered friends, "people were laughing and making certain kinds of comments, and I told them, 'Please don't do that, because I'm gay.' "

The result of her outspokenness, Ms Donadello said, was swift and merciless. "Everyone looked horrified," she said. No longer included in conversation or welcome at meals, she plunged into depression. Medication did not help. With her emotional health deteriorating, Donadello moved into an adult community nearby that caters to gay men and lesbians.

"I felt like I was a pariah," she said, settled in her new home. "For me, it was a choice between life and death."

Elderly gay people like Ms Donadello, living in nursing homes or assisted-living centres or receiving home care, increasingly report that they have been disrespected, shunned or mistreated in ways that range from hurtful to deadly, even leading some to commit suicide.

Some have seen their partners and friends insulted or isolated. Others live in fear of the day when they are dependent on strangers for the most personal care. That dread alone can be damaging, physically and emotionally, say geriatric doctors, psychiatrists and social workers.

The plight of the gay elderly has been taken up by a generation of gay men and lesbians, concerned about their own futures, who have begun a national drive to educate care providers about the social isolation, even outright discrimination, that gay, lesbian bisexual and transgender clients face.

Several solutions are emerging. In Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta and other urban centres, so-called LGBT Aging Projects are springing up, to train long-term care providers. There are also openly gay geriatric case managers who can guide clients to compassionate services.

Homophobia directed at the elderly has many faces.

Moving gay residents to placate others is common, said Dr Melinda Lantz, chief of geriatric psychiatry at Beth Israel Medical Centre in New York.

"When you're stuck and have to move someone because they're being ganged up on, you put them with people who are very confused," Dr Lantz said. "That's a terrible nuts-and-bolts reality."

The most common reaction, in a generation accustomed to being in the closet, is a retreat back to the invisibility that was necessary for most of their lives, when homosexuality was considered both a crime and a mental illness. A partner is identified as a brother. No pictures or gay-themed books are left around.

Elderly heterosexuals also suffer the indignities of old age, but not to the same extent, Dr Lantz said. "There is something special about having to hide this part of your identity at a time when your entire identity is threatened. That's a faster pathway to depression, failure to thrive and even premature death."

The movement to improve conditions for the gay elderly is driven by demographics. There are an estimated 2.4 million gay, lesbian or bisexual Americans over 55.

NEW YORK TIMES

October 13th, 2007, 09:50
Once again an interesting thread becomes a slanging match

In todays Melbourne Age Is a New York Times article that should be read, it is sobering and relevant to the topic
of LGBT nursing homes in LOS. I have used cut and paste as links often not active after a day
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
".....The most common reaction, in a generation accustomed to being in the closet, is a retreat back to the invisibility that was necessary for most of their lives, when homosexuality was considered both a crime and a mental illness. A partner is identified as a brother. No pictures or gay-themed books are left around.

Elderly heterosexuals also suffer the indignities of old age, but not to the same extent, Dr Lantz said. "There is something special about having to hide this part of your identity at a time when your entire identity is threatened. That's a faster pathway to depression, failure to thrive and even premature death."

The movement to improve conditions for the gay elderly is driven by demographics. There are an estimated 2.4 million gay, lesbian or bisexual Americans over 55.

NEW YORK TIMES"

Help is on the way! Here's the place I was talking about. I believe this is the first facility of its kind in America. It is north of San Francisco in the Wine Country
Fountaingrove Lodge (http://www.fountaingrovelodge.com/index.php)

October 13th, 2007, 11:46
It is north of San Francisco in the Wine CountryDo you suppose they provide an intravenous drip? Our grandmother (ie. mine and Aunty's) went through a bottle of sweet sherry every other day

andrewcraig
October 15th, 2007, 10:29
I had a PM from someone who is ATM looking at a nursing home near Pattaya, that appeals to my friend
All the support that he was looking for, with the privacy of owning his own bungalow
He did not want to be in communal living
The price to purchase of just over 3 million baht is also within his preferred price range
Thanks for the info.

http://www.spacepattaya.com/serviced_bungalows

October 15th, 2007, 11:12
I had a PM from someone who is ATM looking at a nursing home near Pattaya, that appeals to my friend
I see it's aimed at the "mum and dad" market. What if several "sons" come visiting - what's the attitude going to be?

October 16th, 2007, 15:15
The number of people with AIDS in Thailand is about one million.

Infection rate will rise in about five year’s time up to 10 percent of population.

Daily about other 600 Thai contract the HI-virus.

115 km North of Bangkok, Wat Phra Baht Nam Phu, provides about 400 beds for its dying patients.

You can visit the temple. It's just a 3 hours train ride from Huala Lam Phong Station. Or 2 hours from Mor Chit 2 (northern bus terminal). The temple is about 7 km outside town centre. Make your appointment, if you like to stay at the temple. There Bangkok office is 02 749 8766-7.

There are some more temples if this kind around Thailand. Some cannot be visited without prior arrangements. One is running four cremation ovens parallel around the clock.

Guests in Phuket who are interestit in visiting an AIDS hospiz can ask Ulf from Connect Guesthouse, Paradise Complex, about more details. Ulf is also a liaison manager of Bangkok Phuket International Hospital.