PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinations & Hepatitis B

October 11th, 2007, 04:53
1 Have any readers caught Hepatitis B in Thailand?

2 Have you been recommended vaccinations for this before traveling?

J

October 11th, 2007, 07:04
1 Have any readers caught Hepatitis B in Thailand?

2 Have you been recommended vaccinations for this before traveling?

J

if you are into rimming.....yes definitely get your Hepatitis B vaccination!! :compress:

gearguy
October 11th, 2007, 07:39
Every gay man, whether a rimmer or not, should get the Hep B vaccine.

for details on all vacinations recommended for travelers to Thailand,
see the US CDC site at:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx

I would also get a tetus boost and a typhoid vaccine every five years and maybe consider a polio boost as well.

If you are over 60, or have diabeties, HIV, heart deasea, you should get
a Pneumococcal vaccine as well.

BTW, on the typhoid vaccine, there are two kinds, one with inactivated virus and other with compromised virus. If you are
HIV+, live with someone who is HIV+, or a cancer chemo patient, you should make sure that it is the inactivated kind.

In the US, many hosiptals have travel clinics which offer a consult and the vaccinations that are recommended.

Oh yeah, don;t forget your flu vaccine as well.

I usually get a script for cipro and take some with me just in case.

October 11th, 2007, 08:32
about Hepatitis C now also, apparently in the UK more people have it than HIV.

fedssocr
October 11th, 2007, 09:00
I got the Hep A&B vaccines last year before my trip. It is a series of shots so you need to plan a few months ahead.

This year since I am going to Cambodia as well I just got the typhoid and polio shots. And my doctor gave my a prescription for an anti-malarial while I am in Siem Reap. And one for Cipro just in case.

The CDC site is the one I used. It's very easy to look up the country you are visiting and see what the recommendations are.

October 11th, 2007, 12:08
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinati ... iland.html (http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/thailand.html)

seems a good site and it gets regularly updated.

Hep A, 10 years
Hep B, 5 years
Tetanus, 10 years
Polio, 10 years
Typhoid, 3 years

I am not up to date on recent developments in vaccinations but most need a boost at some time so be careful to record when a booster shot is needed.

Seem to be the sensible minimum for Thailand

Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies are available for the ultra cautious.

Hep B can be very nasty indeed. When I got my shots in the UK it was free for Homosexual men. I don't remember any other occasions when it was of benefit to be Gay.

October 11th, 2007, 14:02
If you want to do something worthwhile for your special Thai friends, take them to a hospital and get them vaccinated. A bout of Hepatitis could be ruinous to a working man. You would probably have to pursue them to go for their follow ups if my experience is anything to go by. It's not expensive by western standards to do this.

TrongpaiExpat
October 11th, 2007, 15:12
usually get a script for cipro and take some with me just in case

I found a drug store in Bangkok that sells Cipro. It's on Thaniya Plaza Road. If you enter the soi from Silom, it's the first drug store on your left between all the Japanese only lady bars. There are two on that side of the street, it the one closer to Silom.

October 11th, 2007, 15:52
Guys,

For those who left it late, there is the Travmin clinic in Bangkok owned by Dr. Peter Morley.

An Australian gentleman, highly regarded and recommended.

He is also the Medical Director of Bumrungrad Hospital.

All the best,

October 11th, 2007, 23:46
Travmin Bangkok Medical Center
8th Floor
Alma Link Building
25 Soi Chit Lom
Bangkok
Thailand
Tel: + 66 2 655 1024
Fax: + 66 2 655 1026

Located just behind Central Chitlom
skytrain station Chitlom
Excellent advice and treatments and fluent English spoken.

October 11th, 2007, 23:51
I found a drug store in Bangkok that sells Cipro.

You will find the local drug stores will sell Cipro to you without a script. The generic is a third less than the name brand, and yes, the generic works very well. Always good to have a supply in your kit.

francois
October 12th, 2007, 06:18
Absolutely you should be vaccinated for Hep A and Hep B before coming to Thailand! Hep B and Hep C are far more common in Asia and are the leading cause of liver cancer. There is no vaccine for Hep C. Many Thais have immunity to Hep B since they were once exposed to a mild case and thus gain immunity. This can be determined by a blood test. The cost is minimal and can be done within an hour at any hospital in Thailand.
Cipro is useless for Hepatitis and are any other antibiotics.