PDA

View Full Version : Hotel with a sense of humour & not so good grammar ...

Smiles
February 17th, 2006, 01:13
Surfing around looking for nice inviting hotels-on-the-beach in Hua Hin area, I found this intriguing series of descriptions of the Huaplee Lazy Beach Resort located somewhere on the long white sand beach between Cha Am and Hua Hin.

I'd stay there just because of their cheeky advertising schtick.

What to do? Nothing ...

. . . Be lazy because this is free of charge, main featured service here.
Ask for some drink and hold the glass in your hand and watch the sea. That is all you have to do.

Even you are the kind, who cannot stay in a place more than 30 minutes, you will find yourself changed to a different person.

If you don't have motorcycle or own car, you cannot go out. No public transportation, of course.

This resort has only 6 rooms, and a few staffs caring you. We have sea kayaks, so you can row out to the sea, if you are not too lazy. You can free your mind here.

Eat now ...

. . . You can choose to dine either in the restursnt or any area you prefer in the resort. Cook will ask what you want to have for your meal one and a half hours before and they will go to the market to find things to cook whatever you like.

we can arrange BBQ for you. But, one day notice is a must because our cook need sometime to chase after the seafood for you.

In the evening, you can go to the dining room to have some foods and drinks and you will meet other guests who have enough sense to find a place like this...

Look more, but don't look too hard ... be lazy at HUAPLEE LAZY BEACH (http://www.huapleelazybeach.com/index.html)

TOQ
February 17th, 2006, 01:33
Good intensions and way way toooo funnnnnyyyyy..

john

jinks
February 17th, 2006, 02:54
You missed the best bit......

There is no poolside noise-because there is no swimming pool.

February 17th, 2006, 03:45
What's more disturbing is bad grammer in major advertising campaigns. When I was there last month, the skytrains had ads inside for Canon Cameras with the slogan: "Delighting You Always". LOL. I saw the same ads on the Singapore subway..

cottmann
February 17th, 2006, 05:19
What's more disturbing is bad grammer in major advertising campaigns. When I was there last month, the skytrains had ads inside for Canon Cameras with the slogan: "Delighting You Always". LOL. I saw the same ads on the Singapore subway..

What about the one for Micky D's: "I'm loving it." Drives me mad it is so meaningless.

February 17th, 2006, 05:38
"A schtick (or shtick) is an expression which refers to a comic theme or gimmick. "Schtick" is derived from the Yiddish word "????", meaning "piece". The English word "piece" itself is also sometimes used in a similar context. Another variant is "bits of business" or just "bits", mannerisms such as Laurel and Hardy's fiddling with their ties, or one of them looking into the camera shaking his head while the other one would ramble on; or the countless little slapstick and nonsense routines perfected by The Three Stooges, especially by Curly.
The term is perhaps best explained by giving examples of famous comedians and their schticks:
Jack Benny's character on his radio program was notoriously both stingy and a bad violin player, as well as being perpetually 39 years old. In real life, Benny was known as an expert violinist and lavish tipper, and only kept celebrating his 39th birthday each year publicly because "there's nothing funny about 40".
Three of The Marx Brothers, Groucho, Chico and Harpo, all had well-honed schticks by the time they started making movies.
Groucho, with his stooped walk, lascivious eyebrow raising, and his cigar;
Chico, with his fake Italian accent, his "shooting the keys" style of piano playing, and borderline moronic behavior; and
Harpo, with his pantomime routines, the seemingly bottomless pockets of his trench coat, and his ability to play the harp.
The fourth performing brother, Zeppo, never developed a schtick and thus was always merely a minor straight man in their movies.
W.C. Fields nurtured a character that was not far from himself in real life, being misanthropic, misogynistic, and a hard drinker, as well as lovingly massaging the English language through the utterly unique bellow of his voice and his famous bulbous nose.
Lewis Black's schtick is his amazingly uncontrollable fits of rage; another is his comments on his blood pressure due to the aforementioned fits.
The Blues Brothers, the dark-suited alter egos of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, began as a schtick and grew into a record and two movies.
Johnny Carson's many schticks include his role as "Carnac the Magnificent", an Indian fortune teller who could give divine answers to questions sealed in envelopes and kept in a mayonnaise jar on the front porch of Funk & Wagnalls "since noon today". His signature imaginary golf swing at the end of his monologue would also qualify.
Chris Berman's schtick in his ESPN commentary was his tendency to give additional nicknames to players based on their last names (often intended as puns or pop culture references). Berman was also known to often say a football player "could тАУ go тАУ all тАУ the тАУ way" on long touchdown plays.
Andrew Dice Clay's schtick in his comedy routines is his crude, misogynist themed humor.
Rodney Dangerfield's schtick was centered around his famous catchphrase, "I don't get no respect," accompanied by his characteristic facial gesture and yanking or straightening his scarlet necktie.
Jerry Lewis's schtick was to act like a schlemiel, although as the host of the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association telethons, he is generally regarded as a mensch."

Wikpedia

February 17th, 2006, 14:00
Wasn't it Elizabeth Taylor who, when asked about the break up with one of her husbands said, "I don't do schtick."