PDA

View Full Version : BKK Airport Transfer (hope in hell?)

Michael
October 9th, 2007, 06:50
I arrive 15.55 Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, (International flight from London)
and would love to depart 19:15 Bangkok Don Muang, (Domestic Flight)

Is it possible? If so, how do you recommend making the transfer?
and if not possible, any recommendations for hotels around either airport would be appreciated.

October 9th, 2007, 07:44
I don't think you'll make it.
If you're lucky you can de-plane, get your luggage and get thru immigration in one hr. That puts you at 17:00 to get a taxi to Donmuang. Figure you have to be there at 18:30 at the latest to check in.
1 1/2 hrs sounds like plenty of time but you'll be hitting Bangkok at rush hour.
Too many things can go wrong. Your Int'l flight might be delayed. There could be an afternoon rush at immigration. There could be a torrential downpour that stops traffic.

What a stressful way to start a vacation.

Why not take a one night rest after your long flight and if possible book an early am flight for your final destination?

billyhouston
October 9th, 2007, 20:38
I don't think I'd want to risk it but, having said that, my last trip resulted in an all time record. Arrived 1550 (on time BR68 ex London) and amazingly was on Petchburi, opposite Pantip, checking in at the apartment by 1645. I could hardly believe it. Everything had gone well, getting off the plane, running to immigration, bags, getting a taxi etc. The taxi took a route from Suvarnabhumi which I hadn't seen before but it did the job. If your flight is slightly delayed, or... or.... it's probably not worth the stress.

October 10th, 2007, 05:54
19.15 h from Dong Muang sounds like Thai Airways flight to Khon Kaen. Timewise your schedule should work.

Usually after having checked in at departure airport, the luggage is going directly thru to final destination, i.e. Khon Kaen. All handling is the responsibility of your carrier(s). Therefore there shouldn't be any need to wait for your luggage.

There should be sufficient time to travel to Dong Muang. Counters for this flight will not close before 18.45 h; Thai Airways isn't as strict as Air Asia or One-2-Fly.

Report yourself at Thai Airways counter at Suvarnabhumi and try to get your boarding pass. Thai Airways shall be able to arrange some sufficient transportation too.

If you find helpful staff at the counters, there shouldn't be any problem.

Just in case, if your are missing your flight and there are no alternative flights, just run to Dong Muang Railways station and try to catch the night train (sleeper) which shall pass the station around 21.15 hrs. Buy your ticket as soon as possible. If there is no train ticket available, there is still the good old Mor Chit 2 Bus terminal. VIP Busses to Khon Kaen shall run hourly all day and night.

Good luck ..

fedssocr
October 10th, 2007, 06:41
19.15 h from Dong Muang sounds like Thai Airways flight to Khon Kaen. Timewise your schedule should work.

Usually after having checked in at departure airport, the luggage is going directly thru to final destination, i.e. Khon Kaen. All handling is the responsibility of your carrier(s). Therefore there shouldn't be any need to wait for your luggage.

Won't he need to get his bags to clear customs? Then there is usually a transfer baggage station after customs. But I wonder if TG actually provides such a service between airports...or whether I would trust them to do it.

I would probably not risk it if this was my only option.

Michael
October 10th, 2007, 07:19
Thanks tthom, it's this kind of advice that, for me, makes it worth reading this forum. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

quote ttom19.15 h from Dong Muang sounds like Thai Airways flight to Khon Kaen. Timewise your schedule should work.
Yes, it's Khon Kaen that I'd like to reach, if there was a later flight to Udon, I'd settle for there!
I travel light so could easily manage with just hand luggage.
There should be sufficient time to travel to Dong Muang. Counters for this flight will not close before 18.45 h; Thai Airways isn't as strict as Air Asia or One-2-Fly.
My main concern is the time it normally takes to queue for a taxi.
Report yourself at Thai Airways counter at Suvarnabhumi and try to get your boarding pass. Thai Airways shall be able to arrange some sufficient transportation too. If you find helpful staff at the counters, there shouldn't be any problem.
I'm booking the flights separately, so not sure how they might help, or where to find their desk.
Just in case, if your are missing your flight and there are no alternative flights, just run to Dong Muang Railways station and try to catch the night train (sleeper) which shall pass the station around 21.15 hrs. Buy your ticket as soon as possible. If there is no train ticket available, there is still the good old Mor Chit 2 Bus terminal. VIP Busses to Khon Kaen shall run hourly all day and night.
I've done the VIP bus before and vowed never again!
Good luck ..
Thanks!

October 10th, 2007, 14:29
Thanks tthom, it's this kind of advice that, for me, makes it worth reading this forum. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

quote ttom19.15 h from Dong Muang sounds like Thai Airways flight to Khon Kaen. Timewise your schedule should work.
Yes, it's Khon Kaen that I'd like to reach, if there was a later flight to Udon, I'd settle for there!
I travel light so could easily manage with just hand luggage.
My main concern is the time it normally takes to queue for a taxi.
Report yourself at Thai Airways counter at Suvarnabhumi and try to get your boarding pass. Thai Airways shall be able to arrange some sufficient transportation too. If you find helpful staff at the counters, there shouldn't be any problem.
I'm booking the flights separately, so not sure how they might help, or where to find their desk.
I've done the VIP bus before and vowed never again!
Good luck ..
Thanks!

Well, a clever traveller ... I always wondered what passengers are carrying in there vast luggage while arriving in Thailand. Even presents do not make much sense since most stuff can be bought in Thailand for less. And the best presents is cash, maybe accompanied with some small personal items.

After passing Immigration go up to the 4th level (departurel) and jump into the first taxi discharging passengers. There is no need to go on to the transportation centre and queue for a taxi. Drivers are usually very happy to board a new passenger without long curving around and waiting time.