PDA

View Full Version : Public transport within Thailand?

October 3rd, 2007, 19:59
I am not a driver, and don't intend to avail myself of a motor cycle, as i want to live a few more years. Although i have been very lucky so far in having been driven around a fair bit, i also don't intend to become a burden.

The travel bug is constantly with me, and i would like to visit other parts of Thailand as time goes by. Therefore i would have to make use of the Public Transport System in order to get around.

My question is, are trains and buses an efficient way to get around to visit other parts of the country? is the train system more extensive than the bus system? I suppose it all depends on where i want to go. Personally i love train travel, but have yet to see a Thai train. i really don't mind bus travel, although i would assume journeys that way take longer.

Does anyone have experience of using long distance public transport? I suppose i could go to the train and bus stations myself to find out the details, but then i'm a lazy bastard. Even so, a personal view would be helpful.

OK it's more than one question.

Oh yes, before anyone asks, George has given me his views..LOL

-- TC

Hmmm
October 3rd, 2007, 20:45
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/search.php

Especially this thread ...
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 12403.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-trains-and-buses-t12403.html)

bing
October 3rd, 2007, 23:09
I have made trip from Pattaya to Bangkok with a pvt taxi from the hotel i was staying and also have taken the bus. The bus is nice and comfortable for me, and lets you off near sky train in Bangkok. With Taxi had to be at meet point at specific time,, with bus you can adjust your time with more ease. Naturally taxi is more fun for chatting with bf.

Dboy
October 3rd, 2007, 23:45
Bus transport is fairly easy to figure out, even if you don't speak Thai. Prices are very cheap. For instance, the Bangkok to Pattaya route (leaving from Ekkamai Station) is 100 baht($3 USD), 3 hours travel time. Certainly don't expect any kind of luxury, but the network is extensive.

Expect to get a baht bus or motorbike taxi (10-50 baht) from the bus station to wherever your final destination is.

In Bangkok you have the BTS Skytrain, as well as water taxi service and subway system.

In many places, you will be able to hire a 4WD vehicle with private driver/guide for maybe 1,000-1,500 baht per day plus fuel; definitely beats dealing with renting a car. You might want to consider this if you visit Chiang Mai.

Dboy

TrongpaiExpat
October 4th, 2007, 00:17
Actually most of the buses get you to your destination quicker than trains. At the usual tourist cities there are lots of signs in English but as soon as you get to the less traveled locations, you may encounter all the signs in the bus station in Thai. There is a mix of Government and private bus companies at many of the stations. Some of the private buses are quite nice. Some of the buses in Issan are sized for Thai not farangs and some routes do not have AC.

Nok air domestic is not that expensive, consider that option on the longer hauls.

Get a copy of Lonely Planet and look at the 'getting there' section for where you want to go and it will give good details on your transport options.

Bob
October 4th, 2007, 02:46
Simple answer, yes. But, for significant distances, travel by airplane is a lot quicker and not that expensive (i.e., an hour and 20 minutes from BKK to CNX as opposed to 12+ hours by train/bus).

The air-conditioned/VIP buses are fine and very cheap. In my view, I actually enjoy going by bus from Bangkok to Pattaya better than a private car because you're sitting up high (gives you a better view) and you don't worry about the traffic [too often, in a private car, I'm spending a lot of time watching my driver and/or other drivers (most of whom are reincarnations of Mario Andretti) scare the shit out of me]. But.....never, unless your nuts, get onto a non-airconditioned bus (often called fan bus) for any significant distance.

October 4th, 2007, 03:00
I have travelled by train on routes Bangkok-Hua Hin, Bangkok-Kanchanaburi, and Bangkok-Chiang Mai. Thai Railways have their website www.railway.co.th (http://www.railway.co.th), including an English version.
I used 2nd. class when possible, and it is comfortable. Sometimes refreshments are free, and you can buy beer, coke, etc.

Bangkok-Chiang Mai by the day train is a long ride, about 11 hours. I have read a post recommending the overnight ride in 1st. class sleeper, bouncing around with the bf in the privacy of the compartment.

Have some good trips!

alipatt-old
October 4th, 2007, 07:06
I have travelled from Bangkok to UBON by air conditioned train and back by fan train - sorry not sure of the class but i would guess 2nd and 3rd. The airconditioned train was the most uncomfortable as it was set to freezing all night and i didnt have a blanket.

Also have been to Bangkok-Chiang Mai by sprinter. very comfortable and a nice way to travel.

October 4th, 2007, 08:05
My question is, are trains and buses an efficient way to get around to visit other parts of the country? is the train system more extensive than the bus system? I suppose it all depends on where i want to go. .....

The train system is nowhere as extensive as the bus system. The train is basically one line north-south and one line east-west. I want to try it one day also. Its not Eurail by any means. Heck, it ain't even Amtrack!

The busses will get you to almost any podunk little town in Thailand. But its all a matter of taste. I did one long trip from Chainat to Bangkok and then to Pattaya. After bouncing around for half a day and having to lug my suitcase around bus terminals and throw it in the bin with all the others I decided that isn't the way to go for me.

Car and driver will get you around the best - at least that's my feeling. You can stop along the way whenever you want for a toilet break, or to eat or just strech your legs and take a few pics. Its airconditioned and comfortable. If you're going any distance and the price is less than 2000 bhat make sure to ask if gas is extra! In fact i've found in the last year the prices I'm quoted does NOT include gas.

October 4th, 2007, 09:24
... from a long-distance bus trip you will quickly surrounded by the local tuk-tuk drivers who will be happy to take you to your hotel - for a price

October 4th, 2007, 10:23
Thanks for the help guys, very useful indeed.

I do enjoy the tuk-tuks, as long as i close my eyes.. lol

-- TC

October 4th, 2007, 15:28
My question is, are trains and buses an efficient way to get around to visit other parts of the country? is the train system more extensive than the bus system? I suppose it all depends on where i want to go. .....

The train system is nowhere as extensive as the bus system. The train is basically one line north-south and one line east-west. I want to try it one day also. Its not Eurail by any means. Heck, it ain't even Amtrack!

OK! They are not as extensive as the buses which will take you almost everywhere, however you should try the trains. They are pretty reliable and travel to the most important towns in the north, north east and south. They are of very good standard, comfortable and cheap. Overnight, say to Chiangmai, the sleepers are a comfortable way to travel long distances (I would suggest lower couchette for comfort and in non-aircon - otherwise too cold). Also, of course, they are more more friendly to the environment than cars or planes.