PDA

View Full Version : As post 8 Oct BURMA - Rangoon. Pictures taken Oct 3rd

October 3rd, 2007, 17:26
Even for foreigners it is very risky taken any pictures in BURMA.

{edited by jinks to Burma}

Brad the Impala
October 3rd, 2007, 18:53
It is appalling and has been going on many years since the annulling of Ang Suu Ky's election victory.

But have you heard of copyright? A simple link to the source usually provides protection to this forum from breach of copyright problems, and is also a common courtesy. This has been pointed out previously.

October 3rd, 2007, 19:40
It is appalling and has been going on many years since the annulling of Ang Suu Ky's election victory.

But have you heard of copyright? A simple link to the source usually provides protection to this forum from breach of copyright problems, and is also a common courtesy. This has been pointed out previously.

I agree that that copyright is a major issue on these boards and I also think that copyright pales into insignificance on issues such as atrocities and human rights.

Brad the Impala
October 3rd, 2007, 20:50
I agree that that copyright is a major issue on these boards and I also think that copyright pales into insignificance on issues such as atrocities and human rights.

I couldn't agree more.

But the principle of respect for others rights applies in tiny ways as well as huge horrific ways.

October 4th, 2007, 15:28

I couldn't agree more.

But the principle of respect for others rights applies in tiny ways as well as huge horrific ways.

In their ongoing crackdown on dissent in Rangoon, where tens-of-thousands took to the streets in protests last week, military authorities have arrested people who merely clapped for the demonstrators or took pictures of the events, sources said Thursday.

On Wednesday night security personnel raided homes situated along Kyartawya Street, east of the Shwedagon Pagoda, and arrested scores of people who had allegedly given moral support to the monk-led peaceful demonstrations that rocked Rangoon between September 18 to 26, informed sources said.

"Their crime was for clapping and encouraging the monks," said one observer.

The Shwedagon, Rangoon's most sacred shrine, was the springboard for the monks' barefoot marches against the regime last month that ended in a brutal crackdown that left ten dead, according to the government. Others believe the death toll was much higher.

Several amateur photographers, including one who allegedly took a photo of a dead monk floating in the Rangoon River that has been widely publicized, have also been detained, sources said.

Last month's protests have been hailed by the Western press as a triumph for the Internet and citizen journalists, who managed to get photos and information out of the country despite the regime's heavy clamp on news and newsmen.

But the new wave of journalism in Burma has not proven impervious to the regime's old methods of suppressing news through terror and intimidation.

At least one Japanese photo-journalist was shot dead in the crackdown on demonstrators, and several Burma journalists were detained.

Security personnel have been raiding households in Rangoon on a nightly basis since the regime began to crack down on the anti-military protests on September 26.

Thousands have been arrested, according to diplomatic sources.

"I am very concerned about the fate of the detainees because their numbers are apparently quite high, and there is no outside body that is allowed to visit them," said Finnish ambassador to Rangoon Lars Backstrom.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has been denied access to Burma's prisons for several months.
---------
Source. dpa, Oct 03, 2007

Think by yourself.

October 8th, 2007, 16:00

Several amateur photographers, including one who allegedly took a photo of a dead monk floating in the Rangoon River that has been widely publicized, have also been detained, sources said.

Last month's protests have been hailed by the Western press as a triumph for the Internet and citizen journalists, who managed to get photos and information out of the country despite the regime's heavy clamp on news and newsmen.

Source. dpa, Oct 03, 2007

I agree ttom,

All you post is correct, in my view.

However, regards the outside World praising bravery and journalists, What action of any consequence did the outside World take to assist in helping the innocents in this disgrace...............None!

Marsilius
October 8th, 2007, 17:27
Interviewed on TV, the brave protesters have asked the world NOT to use the term "Myanmar" which was imposed unilaterally on the country by the unelected junta.

Using the name "Burma" is, they say, a significant way of demonstrating one's rejection of the tyrannical and undemocratic regime.

Maybe we on this board should henceforth comply with their request?

billyhouston
October 9th, 2007, 05:02
Interviewed on TV, the brave protesters have asked the world NOT to use the term "Myanmar" which was imposed unilaterally on the country by the unelected junta.

Using the name "Burma" is, they say, a significant way of demonstrating one's rejection of the tyrannical and undemocratic regime.

Maybe we on this board should henceforth comply with their request?

One imagines that they are outside the country if they are being interviewed on TV. My Shan friends, both inside and outside the country, prefer the more inclusive name Myanmar. (This name has been in use for more than 700 years but the country was labeled Burma by the colonial power.) The Shan and others have been fighting the Burmese for 60 years or so.

Marsilius
October 9th, 2007, 12:15
Clarification from Wikipedia entry on Burma...

"The name тАЬMyanmarтАЭ is derived from the local short-form name Myanma Naingngandaw. In Burmese, the name Myanma (or Mranma Pra├▒) has been used since the 13th century. Its etymology remains unclear.

"In 1989, the military junta officially changed the English version of the countryтАЩs name from Burma to Myanmar, along with changes to the English versions of many place names in the country, such as its former capital city from Rangoon to Yangon (which does represent its pronunciation more accurately). This decision has, however, not received legislative approval in Burma. The official name of the country in the Burmese language, Myanma, was never changed. Within the Burmese language, Myanma is the written, literary name of the country, while Bama or Bamar (from which тАЬBurmaтАЭ derives) is the oral, colloquial name. In spoken Burmese, the distinction is less clear than the English transliteration suggests.

"The renaming proved to be politically controversial. Burmese opposition groups continue to use the name тАЬBurma,тАЭ since they do not recognize the legitimacy of the ruling military government nor its authority to rename the country in English. Some western governments, namely those of the United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom, continue to use тАЬBurma,тАЭ while the European Union uses "Burma/Myanmar" as an alternative. The United Nations uses тАЬMyanmar.тАЭ

"Use of тАЬBurmaтАЭ and its adjective, тАЬBurmese,тАЭ remains common in the United States and Britain. Some news organizations, such as the BBC and The Financial Times, still use these forms. MSNBC, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal and others use тАЬMyanmarтАЭ as the country name and тАЬBurmeseтАЭ as the adjective. Jim Lehrer of PBS's nightly news program The Newshour with Jim Lehrer used to call the country Myanmar but now uses the phrase MyanmarтАФalso referred to as Burma."