PDA

View Full Version : Transferring old tapes and vinyl records to MP3

October 1st, 2007, 09:04
I've just bought a music type centre which records your old vinyl records and tapes to MP3 format instantly, all you do is insert your old tape and push a button to record it to your MP3 player, then if you want download it to your computer. Great idea. The alternative is a long winded "buying a computer program etc etc", I wouldn't know where to start.

jinks
October 1st, 2007, 12:58
"buying a computer program etc etc", I wouldn't know where to start.

I have one... the comp prog type.... It's still a work in progress converting all my 45's :colors: and tapes.

October 1st, 2007, 19:52
a turntable with a computer program that you plug into your USB and converts vinyl to MP3, it also takes away all the scratches.

jinks
October 1st, 2007, 22:40
it also takes away all the scratches.

So does mine, equaliser too, all tracks at the same volume :clown:

www.magix.com/uk/ (http://www.magix.com/uk/)

October 2nd, 2007, 08:31
it also takes away all the scratches.

So does mine, equaliser too, all tracks at the same volume :clown:

www.magix.com/uk/ (http://www.magix.com/uk/)

Yep but it defeats the whole idea of using a music centre and plugging in your MP3 player to record from any source which is simple. Computer programmes, equalisers, also scratch removers, gets a little too complicated.

October 2nd, 2007, 14:43
They've been in shops from John Lewis to Currys.Digital for over a year. I gave away all my vinyl about 20 years ago. I gather they've been taken to New Zealand though the friend who received them spends half the year in Asia. Some of the tracks had grown a fungus due to the tropical conditions but my old mate thought they were wonderful - especially the Malay ballads.

Ripping CDs to MP3 is QED. The real bugger is the software that comes with the MP3 player that tries to take over your machine and sell you tracks for 69p when they are available stateside for 69c!

If you have gaps in your pop collection, you'll find that most are available well discounted on CD in HMV and Virgin. Regrettably, I can't get my Rings or Parsifal onto my nanopod. I have four Rings, three of them video, one migrated from LD to DVD, another purchased on DVD, the latest broadcast digitally to my PC by the BBC - thanks Aunty.

The key lesson here is that these carrier (the device that stores and plays the songs/pictures) technologies are changing on a logarithmic scale. You've paid for the content (the song/film) - find out how to migrate it at reasonable cost while both old and new carriers are on the market or you'll end up paying for the content again.

Don't pay pirates for ripped off stuff, shot in cinemas. The quality is crap.