PDA

View Full Version : New to The Land Of Smiles

September 29th, 2007, 18:56
Hi one and all,

After a wonderful visit last year, and currently enjoying an equally great visit, i have decided to make The Land Of Smiles my new home. After a very short return to the UK soon to sort out everything, i am very much looking forward to living here permanently.

I have been scanning this board for sometime now, and feel that it will be an excellent forum for me to be involved with, not least having the opportunity to perhaps make new friends.

Thanks in particular to a resident member here for making all this possible for me.

I look forward to becoming an active member here, but until i get aquianted with much of what goes on here, a little time will be needed for my part.

Sawadee

-- TC

September 29th, 2007, 20:14
Welcome to SGT TC. I am sure you will love living here in Thailand and I hope, that you will enjoy the forum along with it's many characters and in the main, good members here.

Choc Dee,

G.

Dodger
September 29th, 2007, 20:29
Welcome TC.

A new active member is always a breath of fresh air. (fresh meat to some).

You've probably sorted out the broad range of characters who use this as there drinking hole, so good luck. Let us know how you move is going.

mai pen rai

TrongpaiExpat
September 29th, 2007, 21:20
Welcome. You don't hear a lot of guys making the move to expat residence status saying it was a big mistake. At least not on this forum or anyone I have ever met. If anything I often hear, I wish I could have done this years ago.

There's some transitions, some aggravations and some things don't work the same as in farangland but if you don't let the little things get you down, keep a sense of humor, it will work out fine.

September 29th, 2007, 21:49
Umm we could use a Collector as lately we've had a member needing to collect an unpaid bill! Anyway I am sure you will love it in LOS. Have you checked the other cities out? Chiang Mai is a very beautiful location. The night life not as in your face as pattaya but once you know the scene it is active. My advice is to just rent as you check various places out. Enjoy.

Shuee
September 30th, 2007, 01:34
hi & welcome to the forum, goodluck with it all

what do you collect, bs?

Wesley
September 30th, 2007, 02:42
I hope you have a great time here on the forum and in Thailand.

I wish you all the best in all you do.

Wesley

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 30th, 2007, 15:49
creepy name though..you aren't like that character in the film who locked up girls in the basement are you ??

But welcome all the same..in time, like all the other members, we'll soon send you stark raving bonkers on here. :shaking2:

September 30th, 2007, 17:44
Dear Collector,

Welcome to this forum - which to me appears slightly calmer than it has for a while, hence I am venturing back with some replies.

If you are near London and have time for a farewell drink then send me a mesage and we can meet up before you leave our shores.

I am envious as I have almost eleven years to go before I can retire. Let us know how you decided on this move and what your plans are for your new life. It is a big decision, but one good friend of mine made his decision only a couple of years ago, in his seventies, and he certainly does not appear to be regretting it at all.

September 30th, 2007, 18:12
Umm we could use a Collector as lately we've had a member needing to collect an unpaid bill! Anyway I am sure you will love it in LOS. Have you checked the other cities out? Chiang Mai is a very beautiful location. The night life not as in your face as pattaya but once you know the scene it is active. My advice is to just rent as you check various places out. Enjoy.

Luckily i am staying with my dear friend who has already taken me of a five day trip to North East Thailand. Cities visited include Oobon Ratachani, Khorat and Roi Et with an unexpected few hours spent in Laos. it is of course my intention to visit more places as time goes by.

i am still coming to terms with how open the gay scene is over here, and by the way how natural it feels for me at any rate. after spending my life in the hysteria flooded UK. No doubt my British reserve will wear off soon, and my stiff upper lip become more accustomed to what Thailand has to offer...lol. (if you know what i mean) Besides that, the whole way of life here is far more relaxed, the food great, and the weather always scorchio! but then you all know that anyway.

For those that are interested i collect Bhuddist and Hindu statues as well as old toys. Regretably most of my collection will have to stay in the UK. Collecting can become an obsession with some, as it has for me. But collecting friends along the way is also important.

-- TC

September 30th, 2007, 18:29
Dear Collector,

Welcome to this forum - which to me appears slightly calmer than it has for a while, hence I am venturing back with some replies.

If you are near London and have time for a farewell drink then send me a mesage and we can meet up before you leave our shores.

I am envious as I have almost eleven years to go before I can retire. Let us know how you decided on this move and what your plans are for your new life. It is a big decision, but one good friend of mine made his decision only a couple of years ago, in his seventies, and he certainly does not appear to be regretting it at all.

Thanks for the offer TrickyRich, although Margate is my current UK residence, once i return there to sort out everything and book a flight back to Thailand from Heathrow, i will message you to see if we can meet up.

My decision was not too hard to make. Although i am still 6 years away from official retirement, after caring for my Mother for 10 years until her death last March, i now have no roots left in the UK. At this time i have no interest to rejoin the job market, and if i am careful the family inheritance should see me through. I have a dear friend who is a member of this board, who i have been in constant contact with for nearly 3 years. i visited him last year here, and am currently staying with him now. It did not take a lot of persuation from him to convince me to make the move. Yes it is a huge step for me to make. but one i need to do now while i am still young enough to enjoy what years are left to me.

-- TC

September 30th, 2007, 19:42
Wish you good fortune for your migration to LOS Collector!

Although I have no intention of following suit, a very good expat friend of mine who has lived in Bangkok for about 7 years has always stressed to me the need to ensure that you do not skimp on a good comprehensive health insurance. It is something a lot of UK expats seem to disregard or forget about, having become accustomed to a free NHS in the UK, and finding out when it's too late just how much anything but basic treatment costs.

My friend says he has lost count of the number of expats he has encountered who have not had any, or insufficient, health insurance and been lumbered with large bills for medical treatment and hospitalisation as a result of age related illnesses or unforeseen accidents.

September 30th, 2007, 20:23
Hi one and all,

After a wonderful visit last year, and currently enjoying an equally great visit, i have decided to make The Land Of Smiles my new home. After a very short return to the UK soon to sort out everything, i am very much looking forward to living here permanently.

I have been scanning this board for sometime now, and feel that it will be an excellent forum for me to be involved with, not least having the opportunity to perhaps make new friends.

Thanks in particular to a resident member here for making all this possible for me.

I look forward to becoming an active member here, but until i get aquianted with much of what goes on here, a little time will be needed for my part.

Sawadee

--TC

Just keep smiling and clam.
Tighten your pockets as much as you can.
Cancel your credit cards.
DonтАЩt tell but listen and think by yourself.
Never show off car, house, anything of value.
Spent always with care, even some donтАЩt like it.
Make yourself a very tight budget and stick to it.
Find yourself some regulars (services, taxi, shopping, security etc.) .
Do not trust anybody abroad, especially your own folks.
Stay away from тАЬknow it all, stayed here foreverтАЭ.

It workтАЩs well. Have a jolly good time.

Shuee
September 30th, 2007, 21:07
hi again collector

be advised that if you are thinking about meet tricky dodgy rich, he has a very poor hisory of not actually showing up, from the post i recall in the past, & we all now mud sticks.

As you maybe not know many people on here yet, i just thought i should point this one out

September 30th, 2007, 22:25
I am also caring for an ailing mother so I know what you have gone thru. My trips went from three times a year down to just once a year. Tho I am happy to be doing this for mom it sure does stress one out. I look forward to my next trip in feb/mar. It took me awhile to adjust to the open gay scene there and as long as it isn't flaunted you will be so happy there. I have never felt so at ease anywhere as I do in pattaya just sitting at an open bar and watching people go by. Enjoy!

Smiles
September 30th, 2007, 23:33
" ... creepy name though..you aren't like that character in the film who locked up girls in the basement are you ?? ... "
Creepy indeed! I thought exactly the same thing when I noticed the Collector's handle. :blackeye:
I believe that was one of the last movies William Wyler directed. Just come off 'Ben Hur' and I guess wanted a different and much less grand project.
But 'The Collector' remains in my memory to a much greater extent than Ben Hur ... mainly from the claustrophobic performance of Terence Stamp (much later of 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert')

http://my.photodump.com/sawatdee/collector.jpg

Cheers ...

October 1st, 2007, 10:05
DELETED

October 1st, 2007, 10:07
DELETED

October 1st, 2007, 16:05
Welcome to SGT TC. I am sure you will love living here in Thailand and I hope, that you will enjoy the forum along with it's many characters and in the main, good members here.

Choc Dee,

G.

Here's the first poster you need to stay clear of.

Keep it up Botting, you are doing a far better job of destroying your own credibility by what you post here, than I could ever do. I will be interested to see what The Collector has to say about your poisonous comment. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shake_head.gif

G.

October 1st, 2007, 16:43

Choc Dee,

G.

Keep it up Botting, you are doing a far better job of destroying your own credibility by what you post here, than I could ever do. I will be interested to see what The Collector has to say about your poisonous comment.
G.

Firstly, thank you for your advice Mr Botting, but i believe i am old enough and wise enough to make judgements for myself as to whom i should steer clear of.

I have noticed a little touch of acrimony between yourself and George, which to be honest i find quite comical, even entertaining. As an experienced member of other boards over the years, i am no stranger to such things.

I also have to say that i do know George personally, and he is a dear friend of mine. but as i am ever the diplomat i refuse to get embroiled in this war of words at this juncture.

By the way, many thanks for the best wishes from those that have contributed, such words are much appreciated.

-- TC

October 2nd, 2007, 15:46
DELETED

October 2nd, 2007, 16:29
[quote="John Botting":21ifsfdf][quote=George]Welcome to SGT TC. I am sure you will love living here in Thailand and I hope, that you will enjoy the forum along with it's many characters and in the main, good members here.

Choc Dee,

G.

Keep it up Botting, you are doing a far better job of destroying your own credibility by what you post here, than I could ever do. I will be interested to see what The Collector has to say about your poisonous comment.
G.

I also have to say that i do know George personally, and he is a dear friend of mine. but as i am ever the diplomat i refuse to get embroiled in this war of words at this juncture.

-- TC[/quote:21ifsfdf]

Oh well, we can't all be perfect

:geek:

But thanks for the warning. Looks like you may be joining in later with George and his jealous vendetta against moi?[/quote:21ifsfdf]

Jealous of you Botting? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/roflao.gif http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/roflao.gif http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/roflao.gif

October 2nd, 2007, 17:12
[quote="John Botting":1yexmwue][quote=George]Welcome to SGT TC. I am sure you will love living here in Thailand and I hope, that you will enjoy the forum along with it's many characters and in the main, good members here.

Choc Dee,

G.

G.

-- TC[/quote:1yexmwue]

Oh well, we can't all be perfect

:geek:

But thanks for the warning. Looks like you may be joining in later with George and his jealous vendetta against moi?[/quote:1yexmwue]

As i said before Mr Botting i really do not want to get involved in your war of words with George. As an ex member of Her Majesty's Constabulary i am rather surprised you make such rapid assumptions, rather than see the long view. Being a friend of someone does not mean that one would agree with everything that friend does, that does not mean i am making any judgment where George is concerned in this particular case. I much prefer peace and kindness have my own mind. and as yet have no axe to grind with you. Therefore i would request that you do not provide me with an axe sharpener. I much prefer peace and kindness to war and bloodshed.

-- TC