PDA

View Full Version : On topic...Airport Screening

yaraboy
September 28th, 2007, 04:18
I live in Canada and when I return by air from Thailand I am asked a thousand questions but have never had my bags searched
I also travel into Heathrow from here and am amazed ( have UK Passport) at how quickly I breeze through Immigration with nary a question.....Do not even ask my port of origination............can they tell just by the area I am walking through (terminal) that I have not flown in from Asia ?

billyhouston
September 28th, 2007, 05:33
can they tell just by the area I am walking through (terminal) that I have not flown in from Asia ?

Depends on which terminal you're in but, generally speaking, no.

There are some oddities about immigration and customs in UK for instance I have my bags checked to my final UK destination so there's no need to pick them up at Heathrow and you can head straight for the shuttle. When I arrive at my destination, it's at the domestic terminal which does not have customs. There is no opportunity to declare anything. :crybaby:

Doug
September 28th, 2007, 06:17
The last four times I've returned to Canada from Thailand, I have been detained by customs and asked the same question that imply I am sex tourist. The first 3 times my bags were thoroughly searched and my laptop was taken away for an hour. The last time I answered all the question before I was asked and the officer said, "Oh I see you've done this before". I told him that I was stopped the last 3 times therefore he can be certain I would have anything incriminating in my bags or on my computer. He initialed the custom paper and showed me the door.

It's got to the point that I simply calculate this hour and a half delay into my transit times between connecting flights. I know longer get worried or upset by it because it's become routine.

dab69
September 28th, 2007, 06:43
cooperating, trying as it can be, would be much easier than rubbing it in their faces that no one actually HAS to answer to them about anything. they are getting paid to be paranoid,
probably hourly.

once I tried to say my trip was half business (interview for job would be deductible if same field)) i was asked what field I was in.
I quickly calculated my attire and answered "education".

I never carry anything too sexy either way, but wouldn't expect to abstain to please anyone.
If they got too nosey I would definitely tell them so, or give them the long silent stare. Equivocally, after 32 hours of airlines and airports with no sleep, maybe I look as if no one would partner me at any price.

bucknaway
September 28th, 2007, 08:49
When I was questioned I told them the best thing about Thailand is the cheap vacation, the red light district and all the wild sex! I told her that I have no problem having sex in the USA but Thailand is too easy.

When I am tired I tend to let the words flow LOL

yaraboy
September 28th, 2007, 09:56
Doug I fly into YVR..You?

My story is that i do work for an NGO in Laos (true but minimal!) . It leads to many more questions but as I said never a search

Boxer
September 28th, 2007, 10:10
The no search saves Thailand doing anything Bangkok end. Security is appauling for outgoing in BKK they just relay on the many tips from Agents and Police in the Big cases. that make headlines.

naklua
September 29th, 2007, 15:39
Is it illegal in your country to have sex in a foreign country? If this is not the case, why does customs/immigration try to incriminate people as "sex tourists"? Is it this regular mix-up of having sex with adult prostitutes or sex with minors? Many times media, politicians, religious fundamentalists (Christian, Muslim or whatsoever), to name a few, try to insinuate that being serviced by adult prostitutes or their underaged counterparts is the same, i.e. a crime.
What never ceases to amaze me (as a middle European) is the fact, that US (and UK) citizens rarely think about the implications of their immigration police's abusive behaviour towards their own people. This Nazi-/Gestapo-style seems to be widely accepted by the people as necessary for security and/or morality reasons; government propaganda seems to work fine. The Nazis and the Communists and even the junta in Burma use(d) similar arguments...
Civil rights in general and one's right to privacy seem to be out of fashion not only in dictatorial/authoritarian countries but also in certain so-called democratic countries around the world, some of them taking their role as preserver of democray for granted.

September 29th, 2007, 19:40
With years of worldwide travelling under my belt, including many trips from The Far East, i have been lucky enough never to have been questioned or had my luggage searched. Perhaps its my handsome looks.. lol, or more likely its because i always try to travel light, and only usually use cabin hand luggage by way of a sports bag. This also cuts out the interminable chaos and waiting time to recover your luggage.

As for being searched or questioned, i suppose it depends on whether the security officers at any given time have to fulfill a perscribed quota, or are told to be more security consience for specific flights and embarkation destinations.

As far as Heathrow is concerned, for me it must be the worst userfriendly. and dirtiest airport i have ever used.

-- TC

Smiles
September 29th, 2007, 21:19
" ... As far as Heathrow is concerned, for me it must be the worst userfriendly. and dirtiest airport i have ever used ... "
Haven't been to Heathrow in years, so this is not a comparison . . . but Los Angeles Airport (LAX) is my favourite 'avoid-like-the-plague' stop-over. Not so much dirty, but 'unfriendly' pretty well defines that place. The immigration/customs dudes there the absolute worst for professionalism (it is to laugh), bad-tempers, and just lacking plain old common decency or courtesy.

I fly out from the west coast of Canada on all my flights to Thailand as well as going down to Mexico occasionally. I normally fly United (mega air miles!) or EVA to LOS, and Alaska to Mexico. Unless I end up on Air Canada (infrequent), most of these require a short hop from Vancouver to one of three US cities for the main flight (Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles). If I can help it at all, I will purposefully nix any Los Angeles connection offered.

San Fran and Seattle airports are fine, heads and shoulders above LAX. I understand Los Angeles is a much busier airport than the other two, thus their problems are proportionately more complex. But that doesn't excuse the kind of rude treatment one often receives by the uniformed folks on the ground there.

Cheers ...

September 29th, 2007, 21:45
As far as Heathrow is concerned, for me it must be the worst userfriendly. and dirtiest airport i have ever used.

Second (third and fourth....ad infinitum) that !!

September 29th, 2007, 21:57
I avoid Detroit like the plague. On one flight with NWA i was detained 3 hours and almost missed my connections. I had no computer and had bought very little (under the 400 dollar limit). Not sure what they wanted but eventually was sent on my way. I like going thru LAX and have never been stopped and just waved thru. Seattle with Eva has also been ok.

fedssocr
September 29th, 2007, 22:06
I was not stopped at JFK when I returned last year. I even had declared merchandise over the allowable duty-free limit so I expected to have to spend some time with the customs people. But all I got was a "welcome home, sir. the exit is over there." Maybe they didn't want to bother at 6:30 AM.

I have been stopped and questioned 2 or 3 times when entering Canada at Toronto airport from the USA. I was a frequent visitor to T.O. for several years so I guess they thought I must be up to no good.

Wesley
September 30th, 2007, 02:59
Moscow is the absolute worst for absolutely nothing to do while in layover for a usually a long connecting flight wait. Heathrow is he worst for trying to find something wrong with you personally or where you came from and to where. JFK is the most unfriendly. Washington Dullus is the best coming in. Chicago is on my list of absolutely avoid if at all possible. I have lost all my luggage one time permanently in Chicago and once it was a month getting my clothes back. To replace two full bags of Luggage they gave me a paltry 250 bucks. That was not enough to replace my tie collection.

Wesley

September 30th, 2007, 03:11
I fly into Heathrow from Thailand two or three times a year and have done for years. I also fly in from the Middle East at least once a year. I've only ever been stopped once so can't complain and usually find getting my luggage and leaving the airport fairly easy going.

The worst airport I've ever visited was in China where I got stuck for three days with no luggage and no food except a packet of biscuits but that's an off topic story...

September 30th, 2007, 05:55
I must say I have been very lucky in my many trips to Asia & SE Asia. I suppose I am an exception but I have to use a wheel chair from check-in to plane. I have always been treated with courtesy everywhere and whisked through Immigration with no trouble. Customs have never questioned me and just waved me through with my handler. I usually have to wait for the carousel to start as I am usually there before anyone else even though I am always the last to leave the plane. However Heathrow has always been inefficient (certainly from the last 4 years. 3 years ago had to wait by the door of the plane for 3/4 hour for a wheelchair!

jonwesley
October 2nd, 2007, 01:00
I have been traveling between PHL and BKK for almost 12 years as well many other places and almost without fail I will be stop and check on returning to the US. I can only put down to fact that I am a black man in my 30тАЩs that it looks like must be smuggling something. Because it is only on my return trips to the US that I am check. Although I have been treat with allot of courtesy by the agent maybe because I'm a frequent flyer and have often travel first and business class it still gets annoying that I can count on being stop.

francois
October 3rd, 2007, 03:14
Jonwesley, The Stop and Be Searched Club, does not seem to discriminate against people of color or age. More often then not I have been questioned by US Customs. Perhaps being the first off the plane when traveling in Business Class is a trigger? Others I know have never been stopped and believe it is because of their charm and benevolent appearance. I think it is just a matter of chance although being young and black may be worse than be old and white. JFK Airport in NYC seems to be a "no questions asked" compared to other airports. Perhaps because of the diversity of the passengers arriving/departing there?

HawaiiBoy
October 3rd, 2007, 12:06
Honolulu is known as a training center for customs officials. And who do you suppose the guinea pigs are?
I am not normally stopped, even though I travel to Thailand three or four times a year. But I was stopped a couple of years ago and very, very thoroughly searched. I had purchased about 45 sq. ft. of 1 inch foam cut into cushion sizes for a project at my church. It was packed into two suitcases with little else but one ceramic dish. The bags were so light they practically floated in the air. The customs inspector was sure I must be importing something nefarious and took samples of everything to test, including the foam and scrapings from the ceramic bowl! I just watched all this with amusement and eventually was released to go on my way.
:cheers:

October 3rd, 2007, 18:12
Worst, disorganized and rudest airport I have ever visited...Auckland, New Zealand! No wonder the low life bastards are all moving to Australia.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 3rd, 2007, 20:13
what a nightmare..no booze allowed!!!

one woman on the plane brought a bottle of Scotch with her to the hotel we were all billeted in..man was she popular. Downtown Karachi for a walk..this is not a fun place..talk about being in the one place you really do need a drink !

Australian customs-arseholes..British Immigration-rude bastards..US Immigration and Customs-completely insane-French Immigration-feigned boredom- Moroccan Immigration-you fall in love with them-Thailand Immigration-back in heaven.

jonwesley
October 4th, 2007, 00:13
I have to disagree about being profiled I travel quite a bit and between Thailand and US 2-3 times a year as well as other International locations and the only time I was not stop coming back in the USA was the one time I had taken My mother on a trip to BKK. I have gone thru customs in at least a half dozen locations SF, NYC, Chicago, etc. and have been stop. I am employed and a business owner I believe in looking presentable when I travel, I have no criminal record and to my knowledge am on no list so what else can it be but profiling. I can go on and on even about what just happen when I arrived back from BKK just last month but it just starts to get boring. I can honestly say that I have been treated each pretty well I travel with a laptop and camera they where never check just a quick look thru my bags so mostly like I said before itтАЩs just annoying.

krobbie
October 4th, 2007, 01:23
Worst, disorganized and rudest airport I have ever visited...Auckland, New Zealand! No wonder the low life bastards are all moving to Australia.

We were hoping that some culture and refinement might rub off on you coarse aussies. It would appear not. Perhaps they just didn't like the look of you? I'm sure next time there will be no trouble. Of course it does depend on ones own demeanour to customs officials and what it is they are trying to achieve. As the old saying goes; You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I know it can be hard to suck it up constantly when one feels under attack, but never get into a stand off or embittered exchange. It will delay you by 3 hours.

I thought you had traveled extensively? If Auckland is your worst experience may I suggest Honolulu. Now there you really do have a challenge. Nasty buggers there.

Bob
October 4th, 2007, 02:59
Jon, unless you're travelling on a one-way ticket (a single man on a one-way ticket is probably always going to get the third degree since 9/11), you're probably right in that you're being profiled in some manner. I've been through LA 12-14 times and through Detroit a half dozen times and have never been hassled (a few times I've been asked what I was doing in Thailand and I just said "on holiday" and that was it.)

October 11th, 2007, 17:23
Your laptop is subject to search...

The photos were discovered by agents who examined Carlock's camera and laptop during a routine baggage inspection at the San Francisco airport...

www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/1010071clown1.html (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/1010071clown1.html)

toprogueca-old
October 12th, 2007, 00:23
my friend and i have been spending 6 months in thailand for the past 6 years and have never had the slightest problem returning through vancouver..maybe we both look too old to be sexually active lol

Wesley
October 12th, 2007, 05:11
I have been traveling between Asia and SE Asia now for Ten years as well as Russia. This past year when they took my brief case and destroyed it and all my CD's wiped was the first I have ever seen this happening with trips I fly as often as twice a year round trip with other trips from Central Asia to Thailand. I had planned on moving to the Philippines this year. The above story does make you think twice about what web sites you visit. Obviously some of the Thai guys look younger than they are.I would imagine Filipino do as well. I am absolutely positive they found no naked pictures on any thing I had although some of the guys were in towels. If Not I am sure American Agents would have been waiting to look through everything I had when I arrived at JFK. Fortunately, I spent some time in London before I flew into JFK or I might have gotten a second look in customs as it was they just tried to get me out of the way as quickly as possible. I guess there is no recourse to getting reimbursed for my brief case. It was a fine leather case and was expensive. I am sure they would never consider paying me for the damage. They can do any thing they want while flying now in he name of terrorist search and Home land security and find what else ever else that is illegal and get you for that with put probable cause or warrants.

We are quickly loosing our civil liberties and most of the world is standing around watching them all go one by one. The Guy in the above story was stupid not to get a lawyer and waive his rights to one while they interrogated him. They will likely hang him almost and except for the fondling of the boys he is right swimming and things like that naked are the norm for Asian kids. most parents think nothing about it at all while pedophiles are loving it.

Wesley