PDA

View Full Version : Defining Photos = cameras tangent.

Shuee
September 1st, 2007, 19:00
nic pics

regarding cameras be aware that should you get stopped at customs they will go through all the pics on your camera, & if theres even smiley faces of men, you will raise susspicion, & then you'll get all the sterio typing questions that go with it

Wesley
September 1st, 2007, 19:27
nic pics

regarding cameras be aware that should you get stopped at customs they will go through all the pics on your camera, & if theres even smiley faces of men, you will raise susspicion, & then you'll get all the sterio typing questions that go with it

Indeed, they totally destroyed my brief case in Heathrow after finding some pics from Thailand of my bf and some money boys I took some pics of. Now I have to buy a new Brief case and not one apology for the destruction of a 150 dollar brief case. Then they checked it for bombs and yellow stuff was all over my documents and all Cd's were missing even the ones with nothing particularly interesting on them. You are right if they find one things that looks suspicious they go through everything you have. Best to post them on photbucket and pick them up later, for sure don't leave a picture in your stuff if you want anything back in one piece.

Shuee
September 1st, 2007, 20:09
why are there no real customs officers or stops at the airports in los?
Are cant they be bothered?

September 2nd, 2007, 07:14
Wesley, you don't need anything even remotely iffy to be stopped and searched at Heathrow (or any other airport in the UK for that matter). All that's needed is, you are alone, flown in from the Far East and (in their eyes) look the part. I've lost count the times I've been stopped and searched. Never had anything that could even remotely have me labeled as gay, and before anyone says it, I'm not queenie. I know I must be on the 'watch out for' list as the last time they stopped and searched me my passport was taken from me and every stamp on it was looked at and an entry made in the CO's notebook.

TOQ
September 2nd, 2007, 07:36
How did this get off topic. Isnt this thread about posting pics ?

john

Up2U
September 25th, 2007, 12:51
Okay, I'm going to take a stab and this and suck up some bandwidth somewhere.
One of my favorite things to do is attend and photograph various Thai festivities and simply catch people having some fun. Here are some photos taken during Songkran in Chiangmai this past April:
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/197840853-M.jpg

Now THAT'S a kid who's really into the spirit of things! :cheers:

Just look at that grin saying "Ah ha! here comes a Farang with a camera. Watch me get his shoes wet!"

The funny thing about this was the kid was sitting off on the sidewalk (under an awning near his mother preparing food on the typical roadside stall) and he was just too young and out of it to mix it up with the real water tossers. He eyed me and surely wanted to splash water on me. So, I stood next to him, waited for an ungodly time for him to be able to grab some water and to inexorably stand and finally toss the water on my lower legs. It was worth it though to then watch him plop down in the tub and to giggle like a banchee. He made my day and I made his.

Hey Bob, nice pics. What kind of camera do you have?

Bob
September 26th, 2007, 05:40
Up2U....I have a Cannon Powershot (I think that's the name) S15IS. It has a 10 power zoom which helps keep me relatively dry during Songkran. This camera has a 7 megabyte maximum resolution but I usually shoot at about 3 mg resolution. Other than the first photo and the one with the kid in the little tub, most of the shots were taken at or near maximum zoom.
I see Canon has a newer version and it's an 8 mg camera - likely a good one.

September 26th, 2007, 10:17
Did you know that the high resolution cameras are only an advantage if you print out the photos? For only computer based use, 3 mp are really enough. Just thougt I would mention that. Boogy

Bob
September 26th, 2007, 11:34
Mr. Boogy, thanks for the most gracious tip....although I find it oversimplified and, at times, wrong. You can actually get a better quality photo and print from a lower resolution camera with a larger image sensor than from a higher resolution camera with a smaller image sensor.
If you spend a lot of time using editing software, you'd appreciate the advantages of higher resolution shots.
And, of course, if you're using a low quality computer monitor with low resolution and aspect ratio, it won't make much difference to you if the photo you're trying to display is or isn't a high resolution photo. Somewhat like watching an analog signal on an 1080 HD screen.

Smiles
September 26th, 2007, 22:06
Bob, you are not alone in your camera choice. I also have the Canon Powershot S1IS ... the original version (some years old now) with a sweet little 10 optical zoom, but with only 3.2 mp.
It's bulkier than a lot of those little pocket cameras, but to me it 'feels' like a camera rather than a pack of cigarettes. The bells & whistles on this puppy are never-ending . . . I have used maybe three / LOL.

But I love it, and it's never let me down. Great pictures with just the lowly little 3.2 pixelators, and the zoom has never failed to become thickly erect when I ask it. Which is more than I can say for others .... :blackeye:
Highly recommended. The very latest edition now comes with a 12X zoom, is black, and I believe has 7mgp.

The earliest PowerShot S1IS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/canon.jpg

Cheers ...

TOQ
September 27th, 2007, 00:20
I must be the outcast.. I have a Fuji E900. Nice light weight camera but not as thin as a pac of cigarettes.. 9 MP and a 7X zoom.. Ive had it for a little over a year and been very pleased with it...

Also, lots of bells and whistles which I dont use either.. Just point and shoot if zoom isnt needed..

john

Bob
September 27th, 2007, 05:15
has never failed to become thickly erect when I ask it.
Cheers ...

Dern, Khun Smiles, I'm going to have to try to rub my zoom and see what I can get.
Yes, I had a couple of other digitals but I really like this one. Not the smallest one in the world but sure takes very good photos and has an excellent zoom lens. With the SD cards so cheap (I can get a 2 gig one for about $25.00 here in the states, easy to load up on a lot of high resolution shots). I usually take over a 1,000 each trip now.

Up2U
September 27th, 2007, 07:28
Bob, you are not alone in your camera choice. I also have the Canon Powershot S1IS ... the original version (some years old now) with a sweet little 10 optical zoom, but with only 3.2 mp.
It's bulkier than a lot of those little pocket cameras, but to me it 'feels' like a camera rather than a pack of cigarettes. The bells & whistles on this puppy are never-ending . . . I have used maybe three / LOL.

But I love it, and it's never let me down. Great pictures with just the lowly little 3.2 pixelators, and the zoom has never failed to become thickly erect when I ask it. Which is more than I can say for others .... :blackeye:
Highly recommended. The very latest edition now comes with a 12X zoom, is black, and I believe has 7mgp.

The earliest PowerShot S1IS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/canon.jpg

Cheers ...

Not sure if Bob has the S5 IS or the 1S IS. The 1SIS came out in 2004 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... prod.txt.2 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s1-is/4505-6501_7-30732122.html?tag=prod.txt.2)) and the later generation S5 IS in 2007 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... prod.txt.9 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s5-is/4505-6501_7-32441341.html?tag=prod.txt.9)). Both got pretty good reviews but some like the compact size of the SD (Elph) series.

Bob
September 27th, 2007, 08:35
Sorry for the confusion. Just looked at the camera again and it's a Canon Power Shot S3 1S with a 12X optical zoom (one with black/grey body, not the silver one). Canon launched the camera in March or so of 2006 and I bought it summer of 2006.

As a side note, my immediately prior camera was a Konica Minolta 8 meg camera. I needed to have some warranty service done last summer, found out that Konica Minolta ceased the digital camera business in March of 2006 (sold out to Sony who took over their warranty service), and, when Sony couldn't fix it, they gave me a check for $50.00 more than I bought the damn thing in the first place. Outcome was fine as the Power Shot is a much better camera in my view.

As another side note (showing how frustrated you get with the rapid decrease in prices), my first digital was a 2.3 meg model with a 3x zoom that cost me $1,300.00 back in 1999. You can buy something better than that now for less than $150.00. The Canon S3 IS mentioned above cost me $375.00 in the summer of 2006 and I see you can buy that now for $277.00. Oh well.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 27th, 2007, 09:56
that pics can still be re-claimed from your card even after deleted..as like in a computer ,not that any Sawatdee member would take an illegal pic ( except perhaps of Homertern in the bath).

Now along with fingerprinting and photographing when entering the US-a friend reports a fascinating new development where plainclothes cops ( or whatever) wander the airport terminals seeking out suspicious looking characters via "body language".

He was then directed to a small yellow fenced pen..along with another suspicious looking woman and grilled mercilessly until they were finally regarded as mere tourists.

Which was odd considering he had just attended a tourism convention in upstate New York and in the next conference hall a group of undercover NY cops were holding a conference on targeting criminal gangs in NYC...and invited 3 times to "hurry in as the lecture was about to start.."
thank God they don't take this nonsense seriously in LOS.

Bob
September 27th, 2007, 10:10
there is even a claim
that pics can still be re-claimed from your card even after deleted..as like in a computer

Not a claim, a fact. I've deleted photos before and then used a program (found it free on the net somewhere) and was able to retrieve 95% of the photos I had deleted. I'm sure the forensics experts can do much better.
I don't worry as I don't take questionable photos. But, for those that do, you're risking your freedom by transporting one of those digital cards across international borders.

Wesley
September 27th, 2007, 10:10
Wesley, you don't need anything even remotely iffy to be stopped and searched at Heathrow (or any other airport in the UK for that matter). All that's needed is, you are alone, flown in from the Far East and (in their eyes) look the part. I've lost count the times I've been stopped and searched. Never had anything that could even remotely have me labeled as gay, and before anyone says it, I'm not queenie. I know I must be on the 'watch out for' list as the last time they stopped and searched me my passport was taken from me and every stamp on it was looked at and an entry made in the CO's notebook.

When I travel, I travel as a business man in suite and tie, mostly because I am treated differently, This time the rules for how many carry on's had changed so I had to check my Brief case. As a result I locked it as there were things in that were expensive. Since it was cleared by 2 other screens with stamps I assumed I would just pick it back up at JFK. That didn't happen I get it a week later completely destroyed and even Cd's missing and erased and many of them were nothing but business. I was furious , but now days it does no good to complain about security and if you do complain you just look for guilty.

Wes

gearguy
September 27th, 2007, 19:06
I work for one of the US Fortune 500, no more like a Fortune 10 company, and recently, after several incidents, our legal department sent an email around advising that when traveling we were to make sure that we did not have any of the company's most sensitive documents stored locally on our laptop hardrives, not even in encrypted format. Several employees including some senior executives have had their laptops scanned and in one case sensitive new product documents then appeared on the net.