PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai: Police crackdown on gay free lancers ...

September 26th, 2007, 04:49
Police crackdown on ladyboys

An early morning round-up of ladyboys on the streets of Chiang Mai last week led to two arrests after most in the group of late night alleged sex workers fled from police.

According to the Chiang Mai police the kathoeys or ladyboys are responsible for frequent robberies involving tourists in the city and this is damaging the image of Chiang Mai.

An investigation team headed by the Muang district police station organized a raid at 2:30am on September 18 on Moonmuang road. As police approached, many of the alleged sex workers fled in different directions and the authorities were only able to detain two in the group. Both were charged with prostitution after police questioning.

Pol Lt Col Chanawut said the crackdown on the kathoeys came after a tourist was robbed in the area. He added that both ladyboys and female sex workers will be subject to arrest in an effort to rid the streets of Chiang Mai of prostitution.

Bob
September 26th, 2007, 05:49
I've never seen let alone heard about groups of ladyboys or problems with ladyboys around Moon Muang or any other area of Chiangmai (obviously something happened but it hasn't historically been any significant problem in CM). Regardless of the article, nobody should get the idea that there is anything in Chiangmai like the ladyboy hijinks that are occasionally occuring along Beach Road in Pattaya.

haikudude
September 26th, 2007, 10:08
ttom,
I donтАЩt read the papers as much as I should. Can you tell us what your source was? Chiang Mai Mail perhaps?

Bob
September 26th, 2007, 10:32
The post appears to be a paste of an article in the news section of today's online version of the Chiangmai Mail.
If I can url it, here it is:
www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml (http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml)

September 26th, 2007, 13:06
Hmmm, CM is my favourite city in Thailand, I hope this hasn't scared the boys in the bars away!
I'm not into the Ladyboy thing so maybe my upcoming trip there will be OK.
Interestingly though, I have never seen many Ladyboys in CM. I suppose if you're not looking for them specifically you don't notice them so much.

September 26th, 2007, 15:13
Hmmm, CM is my favourite city in Thailand, I hope this hasn't scared the boys in the bars away!
Interestingly though, I have never seen many Ladyboys in CM. I suppose if you're not looking for them specifically you don't notice them so much.

Cops probably bored, wanted a bit of fun, poor lady boy.

September 26th, 2007, 15:35

Especially some parts at the Tapae Gate around Montri hotel and further along the canal side of Moon Muang are dangerous. Many free lancers there are on drugs.

If someone in CM feels the urgent need of company, it’s better to look around The Chez Nouz Bar next to the Peak. The crowd there is very much down to earth. They will tell you if you need to take extra care.

September 26th, 2007, 18:27
Surely this is an article about transvestite freelancers, not gay freelancers. In fact, most transvestites prey on straight men, not a lot of which information seems to have made it into this thread

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 26th, 2007, 19:22
good luck.

September 26th, 2007, 19:22
Surely this is an article about transvestite freelancers, not gay freelancers. In fact, most transvestites prey on straight men, not a lot of which information seems to have made it into this thread

Thanks Homintern for your input on this subject. I agree that "surely this article involves transvestites, transgender, Kathoey, and generally speaking the more femme" types of freelancers.
My point was that I hoped the general gay population of regular bar boys were not discouraged in their pursuit of baht because of this 'blitz' on the woeful trannies that are prevelant in all major cities in Thailand.
If the authorities are only interested in the trannie bad boys, the gay freelancers should not be affected unless the fear of God/Buddha has been put into them!
I don't think the CM gay scene will disappear overnight as a result of this crackdown.

September 26th, 2007, 19:26
I don't think the CM gay scene will disappear overnight as a result of this crackdown.It hasn't/doesn't anywhere else

September 27th, 2007, 01:40

Around Tapae Gate you'll find them all but yes, it is a hot joint mainly for TV's. Inside the boxing hall there are some more gay orientated cruising for business. There are also usually several gay freelancers around the Ping bridges and the river banks. Cheap, but very AYOR !

llz
October 2nd, 2007, 18:03
Corrected link should stand as www.chiangmai-mail.com/240/dining.shtml (http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/240/dining.shtml)
The review mad me still more anxious to go there (which should happen on October 26th in the evening).
I still do not understand wether the waiters are offable or not ?

October 3rd, 2007, 18:08

Especially some parts at the Tapae Gate around Montri hotel and further along the canal side of Moon Muang are dangerous. Many free lancers there are on drugs.

If someone in CM feels the urgent need of company, itтАЩs better to look around The Chez Nouz Bar next to the Peak. The crowd there is very much down to earth. They will tell you if you need to take extra care.

"Chez Nous" - that's out of the frying pan and into the fire type advice: since the last change of owner its been run by a bunch of druggies, sitting around bemoaning the lack of customers and discussing their HIV medications. "leeo tere Khun". The same is true for most of the Peak bars now. The Soi behind D2 hotel is even worse, especially Secrets bar - underage sleaze.

One of the best places to go In Chiang Mai now is "Golden Ball" over in Santitham (near some of the GoGo bars). www.bontong.com (http://www.bontong.com) Many genuine Gay Thais go there (lots of Students), they have some real cute friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere; gets packed some nights. Also have a gay guide to Chiang Mai: www.gaychiangmai.bontong.com (http://www.gaychiangmai.bontong.com)

Anyway, the whole story in Chiang Mai Mail was over blown - typical Thai Police action: One tourist gets mugged and the story reaches the press, Boys in Brown make one visit and chase a couple of Kathoey (How fast can you run in those high heels anyway ;) ) Announce there's been a "Crackdown", problem solved and normal service resumed! Hehehe. The Thape problem is exacerbated by the gate area being closed for construction and many broke lady boys wandering the street since the demise of Simon.

BTW, the same issue of Chiang Mai mail also carried a review of "Golden Ball" (Vol. VI No. 31 25 Sept)
http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/dining.shtml

Am I to understand that you might be suggesting that all the boys around all the bars in the peak wall area are infested with the Aids virus? I think that if you were in a Western country, you might be in court by now.
So tell me, how many boys in Chiang Mai have AIDS?
How many of these boys work in the night bazaar area?
From where did you gain these statistics?
You sound like an advertising guru for the Golden Ball......I have often enjoyed the company of a lad from 'Friendship" bar and have never had a problem. Who is paying you the "tea money?"

October 5th, 2007, 20:00

Can we assume then you haven't actually been to the night bazzar last 3-4 months to see what a sorry place its become? Or that you've not been to any of the newer venues, where many of the people who live here (rather than the old sex tourists) actually tend to go?

Am I to understand that you might be suggesting that all the boys around all the bars in the peak wall area are infested with the Aids virus?

Sadly, and I say that sincerely because several of them are friends of mine, a lot of the boys are HIV positive, yes. There is quite a cluster at the Peak.

So tell me, how many boys in Chiang Mai have AIDS?
How many of these boys work in the night bazaar area?
From where did you gain these statistics?

Try the US government's statistics: www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5531a2.htm (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5531a2.htm) Infection rate of 15.3% in Men who have sex with Men in Chiang Mai at the date of the survey and rising. The percentage infection rate among Night Bazzar boys is hard to judge, depends on how many you class as "working" there, it could even be over 50% of those who regularly do offs at the Peak now.

If you want to bury your head in the sand about the situation that's up to you. Unfortunately, the Night Bazzar has many frelancers who are harder for organisations such as Mplus www.mplusthailand.com (http://www.mplusthailand.com) to reach with safe sex and HIV testing programs - though I know MPlus tries hard and does very good work. Its also a place where HIV positive boys can easily continue working undetected which would be harder in a pure commercial sex venue like a gogo bar.

I have often enjoyed the company of a lad from 'Friendship" bar and have never had a problem

Friendship is probably still the best bar there, in my opinion and the management won't tolerate drugs. Fewer freelancers and more genuine Thai gays go there.

I can only thank you for your information and I assure you I'm not one to bury my head anyone's sand. I now look forward to my next visit to CM with some caution.