PDA

View Full Version : sunday evening pattaya

September 25th, 2007, 01:58
hi all, well the big days gettin close so i thought i ask if any of you guys in pattaya fancy meeting up in the town somewhere central to chat/drink and give me some local 'crack', suggest a bar i'll find easy tho, would really appreciate it for at least my first day/night in LOS
cheers flip

September 26th, 2007, 06:09
very suprised at nil response fella's, are you all at church or Sundays?

bucknaway
September 26th, 2007, 07:28
I think it may have to do with your only having 18 posts..... your a kissing cousin to being a total stranger on here.

Be a little more social on the board and the guys be social to you :)

pronto
September 26th, 2007, 08:36
I think it may have to do with your only having 18 posts..... your a kissing cousin to being a total stranger on here.

It seems to me that he's trying to be social. Or must one have at least 954 posts such as yourself of varying, and sometimes dubious, quality in order to be considered a worthy board member?

francois
September 26th, 2007, 08:41
Flipcarlise wants someone to give him some local "crack". That sounds a bit bizarre to the older establishment. Can someone translate that into English or French?

alipatt-old
September 26th, 2007, 09:01

Being a very infrequent visitor to Thailand and new to the board. I do hope that I don't have to kiss those that post on here - so much more interesting things to kiss at the bars that are mentioned :cheers:

catawampuscat
September 26th, 2007, 09:28
also need someone to translate what the hell flip is talking about with the "crack" reference..

If you want to meet fellow farangs, tell us something about you and per chance a reason why we would want
to meet you. Offering to buy someone a drink works wonders althou you sometimes get what you pay for.
Too bad some of the local con men are not in town or I am sure they would have responded especially if you
indicate you have some funds for them to work on relieving you from.. :cat:

Best thing to do if you want to meet farangs is to go to the beer bars at nite and be friendly. Try Panarama or
Oscars in the Boyztown area or one of the beer bars in Sunee. Smile, be friendly and open and someone will
initate you into the farang society of Pattaya.. You may regret it but at least you will get your feet wet and be
on your way into farang society.
Day time, Jomtien beach is the place to meet farangs.

Wesley
September 26th, 2007, 10:29
PG use to host a get together once a month or so, maybe our Good friend Hedda or Bg would be available. Just joking, it was a good idea and I got to meet lots of people and was able to put faces to some of the names and find out some real names as well, although you can't use them here they are remembered. Maybe if Smiles is in town he could host such a get together where everyone pays for their own drink or no drink at all. Seems I remember getting the bill the last time.

Wesley

pronto
September 26th, 2007, 10:33
Flipcarlise wants someone to give him some local "crack". That sounds a bit bizarre to the older establishment. Can someone translate that into English or French?

"Crack" = "conversation"

September 26th, 2007, 11:28
"Crack" = "conversation"
Hmmm, that still doesn't quite make sense:

"to chat/drink and give me some local 'crack'" = "to chat/drink and give me some local conversation"???

Wazza
September 26th, 2007, 12:26
n Irish English, the word crack, which recently has increasingly come to be spelled craic, means "fun, enjoyment, abandonment, or lighthearted mischief; ...

Is not that obscure I thought

TrongpaiExpat
September 26th, 2007, 13:18
very suprised at nil response fella's, are you all at church or Sundays?

That says a lot about Pattaya farang residents or at least the ones that post on this board. Not one PM either?

Sorry, I am in Bangkok, but if you find yourself in town I can give you some "crack" Never thought I would say that. In my neck of the woods, "crack" is a sexual reference to either the buttox or the sexual organs of that other sex. Then latter "crack" became slang for a drug.

catawampuscat
September 26th, 2007, 14:29
In Pattaya, flip can also try the Thai 4 Life bookshop on Soi Yensaibai.. Usually some friendly farang there and they
also have social meetings. You can meet some of the forum dignataries there and it is a friendly bunch..

In Jomtien, check out Monty's newly reopened joint for friendly ex-pats. The guys from gaytingtong hang out nearby at
Bondi and are always welcoming to a new farang if they are in town.
In fact, flip might want to post at gaytingtong.com forum
as it is the friendliest and least confrontational of the major gay Thailand forums,espeically when the principals are in residence..
:cat:

September 26th, 2007, 18:09
thanks for the posts lads, 'crack' from where i come from means to have a freindly chat bout this and that, in this case tho its about me gettin as much information as i can so that i dont knacker my first trip to LOS, i'm rally greatful to all of you who have contributed to my...what was it...8 posts, anyway i wasnt countin, many thanx again hope to see at least some of you from sunday.
flip

September 26th, 2007, 18:13
Could be that there just aren't many farang or board members in pattaya right now. It is the low season.

September 26th, 2007, 18:36
thanks for the posts lads, 'crack' from where i come from means to have a freindly chat bout this and that, in this case tho its about me gettin as much information as i can so that i dont knacker my first trip to LOS, i'm rally greatful to all of you who have contributed to my...what was it...8 posts, anyway i wasnt countin, many thanx again hope to see at least some of you from sunday.flipIf you want to communicate then bear in mind that members come from many different countries, and indulging in your own dialect of English might seem appropriate or even amusing, but if people have to work out what the hell you mean then their next thought is "why bother?". There are plenty of first-timers in Thailand and for those of us who live here, frankly it pays to be picky. That's just a general comment; it wasn't intended to pass any judgment on you

Smiles
September 26th, 2007, 22:21
" ... thanks for the posts lads, 'crack' from where i come from means to have a freindly chat bout this and that, flip ... "
Thanks for the info on 'crack' ... 'Flip'. Being from the UK, perhaps you can help me out with a different bit of miscellania.

On another thread one of our other esteemed UK members mentioned that the word 'bollocks' was a swear word (in Britain?). I had always thought somewhat the opposite . . . that it was a bit more of a polite way of saying 'balls' or 'knackers' or 'nuts' if one was in company of the more sensitive among us (let's say, Baptists, Islamists, Mormans, Catwampuscat, or HiSo ladies).

So what do you say?: 'bollocks' = swearing ... or ... 'bollocks' = semi-civilized language?

Thanks for your help ... and cheers ...

September 26th, 2007, 22:43
here in sunny cumbria, the term;bollocks, generally means rubbish as in talking bollocks
hope that helps
flip

Smiles
September 26th, 2007, 22:56
here in sunny cumbria, the term;bollocks, generally means rubbish as in talking bollocks
hope that helps flip
Thanks.
In N America it's also rather common to say 'balls' or 'nuts' when someone is also obviously talking nonsense.
Interesting that on both side of the Atlantic we both use words which literally mean testicles, to also express one's disdain for another's opinion.

But that is a secondary usage. I was really wondering whether the word 'bollocks' (as in another word for testicles) is considered 'swearing' when used in that context . . . as our UK member implied.

Cheers ...

PS ... see how these long threads end up going off on stange tangents :cheers: (Rarely "About Thailand")

Marsilius
September 27th, 2007, 00:12
In south west England where I live, I would say that "bollocks" lies somewhere between the blander "balls" (which I can imagine a doctor, for example, using with a patient who might not grasp - so to speak! - "testicles") and a real swear word like "fuck".

As Flip says, it can be used colloquially to mean just rubbish - but, as an exclamation, is certainly not on a swearing par with the aforementioned Anglo-Saxon word.

September 27th, 2007, 01:37
as a rule of thumb, saying 'bollocks' at the mayors party would be considered 'bad taste' in general chat i would say not a swear word
flip

piston10
September 27th, 2007, 05:58
Well, it's all the fault of Smiles!

As with any vulgar words, you have to be a native speaker to know exactly when they can be used, and I have the feeling some of the advice given is a bit dangerous. I certainly use the word (in a very relaxed way) to mean 'it's rubbish', but it ain't polite at all! As so often, context is ALL. In some situations the word can be sexually quite highly charged. Say roughly to your loved one, 'C'mon, get ur bollocks out' and he knows he's in for a raunchy session tonight.
I've two stories on the topic - but move on if you're short of time.

In the days when I taught English the subject of swearing often came up with pupils about 14 to 16 years old. And being, as some of you know, a liberal humanist with leftward leanings, I rather prided myself on the mature discussion I led on the matter. One very hot summer afternoon, all the windows being wide open in a school where the classrooms were arranged on four stories round a central courtyard (the headmaster's office and administration being on one side on the ground floor), I was leading a very controlled and sensible discussion of the subject, when a girl got up quietly, went over to the open window and yelled 'Bollocks' as loud as she could. She then turned round with a sweet smile and said, 'I like saying that word. I think it's my favourite'. I think the work of the school came to a halt, from the headmaster's office upwards.

Another time, late at night in a Middle Eastern take-away at Marble Arch, London, the customer next to me asked the assistant, who spoke no English at all, what the plate of round things sitting under the counter glass were. He turned to another assistant, who was doing the cooking, with 'What in English?'. Having been given the answer he turned back to the customer and announced, 'Fried bollocks'. Didn't sound as attractive, I thought, as 'sheep's testicles'

ned kelly-old
September 27th, 2007, 06:05
As to be expected, in Australia, where profanities are more the norm, the use of the word "bollocks" wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at the CWA (Country Womens Assoc.....and the jam scone brigade ).
In general usage you hear so many "fucks" that most take little notice, but C--- is definitely considered bad form!

September 27th, 2007, 06:56
as a rule of thumb, saying 'bollocks' at the mayors party would be considered 'bad taste' in general chat i would say not a swear word
flip

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo Saxon origin, meaning "testicles" in British English and in Hiberno-English. The word is often used figuratively, as a noun to mean "nonsense" or conversely to mean "top quality" or "perfection", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, and an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". The common phrase "Bollocks to that!" expresses a distaste for a certain task or subject; "the dog's bollocks" expresses the opposite, namely admiration or pleasure.

Perhaps the best-known use of the term is in the title of a punk rock album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols. Testimony in a resulting prosecution over the "obscene" term demonstrated that in Old English the word referred to a priest, and could also be used to mean "nonsense".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks

September 28th, 2007, 07:44
if he`s the dogs bollocks he`s pretty good! confusing eh?

September 28th, 2007, 10:17
And then there's "bollix," with an alternative spelling of "bollox." It wasn't until this thread that I realized what "bollocks" really meant.