PDA

View Full Version : Protesters over 100,000 in Burma...not a good time to visit!

travelerjim
September 24th, 2007, 18:57
If you have not noticed...
Protests in Burma are heating up...
over 100,000 marched with Buddhist Monks and Sisters today - Monday...
wanting change in Junta Run Generals led Government!

Not a good time to visit Burma (Myanmar)...

Read more in this thread on Any Other Country

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 12773.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/uproar-in-myanmar-t12773.html)

TravelerJim

September 25th, 2007, 01:23
Ya think???

September 25th, 2007, 03:34
Travelling Myanmar is definitely politically not correct while every visitor is supporting the junta.

And travelling Myanmar is dangerous for anybody who might some support or aid. You never know if there is assistance around in emergencies. Even the Burmese people crossing the borders in hoards every day in order to get medical treatment in Thailand; Myanmar’s own facilities are very poor to non existent - except for high ranking military officer.

Infrastructure is poor, transport definitely not reliable. Expect hidden or obvious control is everywhere.

People are lovely. The country side can be breathtaking if not ruined by pollution. Historical sides brilliant of open. There festivities fabulous. And Myanmar is rich.

Myanmar is maybe 40 years behind Thailand, except regarding money laundering.

Myanmar needs true and honest support from outside. And the people need time to find themselves, to learn to decide independently. They need information, education and medical aid.

Nevertheless what the outcome will be. The transformation process will be painful, even more traumatic as what happened in Cambodia.

I like to look closely at everything. It takes time to find the right words. While I’ve been visiting Myanmar during the past years, I often went very quite. Face to face I could see people crying but here where no tears anymore.

It’s sad. And it feels even worse, if you know about all this. I don’t know. But I shall be back to my friends in Myanmar again soon.

jinks
September 25th, 2007, 04:06
At the risk of upsetting Smiles I think replies to this should be in the post within "Any Other Country Forum"