PDA

View Full Version : Rose Hotel Bangkok

sydneyboy
September 24th, 2007, 01:18
I saw reference to the "renovated" Rose on a some recent threads and then I looked at their website and was astonished. Have all the rooms been renovated? How would it compare with the Tarntawan? Can people please share their experiences.

bing
September 24th, 2007, 03:35
Back in 1993, it was the first hotel I stayed at. There was a Thai family that lived on the second floor and watched your room. The wife wanted to wash my clothes daily, I recall it had the worlds worst shower, super hot or cold nothing in between. There was light in the room but not bright enough to read with as I recall. Its location was wonderful, only one minute from Patpong, and it was not expensive. All my first tours were booked Thur Rose hotel tour office. At that time it was lower end of the spectrum of lodgings, I think it is much better now. Enjoy it.

Bob
September 24th, 2007, 05:34
I quit staying at the "old" Rose years ago because I thought the place was just too dingy. Then, in November of 2005, when I couldn't get a room at the last minute at the Tarntawan, I went to the Rose and was astonished at how much remodeling had taken place. Pretty decent place now. The rooms (if my memory is correct) might be a bit smaller than the Tarntawan but, overall, would almost compare with the Tarntawan (and anybody who knew the "old" Rose would find that incredible). Photos of entrance, lobby, and cafe taken in November of 2005 (after substantial remodeling):

September 24th, 2007, 07:19
Interestingly, Purple Dragon has started using them as one of their hotels. I would count that as a "thumbs up" from people I trust.

krobbie
September 24th, 2007, 12:37
I have written on The Silom Hotel thread that I have booked 5 nights in January. The new web site is now up and running and looks good. I believe all rooms are now remodelled and pool in place.

http://www.rosehotelbkk.com/

Cheers
krobbie

travelerjim
September 24th, 2007, 13:09
I have written on The Silom Hotel thread that I have booked 5 nights in January. The new web site is now up and running and looks good. I believe all rooms are now remodelled and pool in place.

Cheers
krobbie

Thanks for the link and info...

Looks like a nice hotel for Bangkok visits ...
Will try it out for a couple of nights in October with Thai bf :-)

TravelerJim

Gaypattayan
September 24th, 2007, 13:21
I am truly delighted the Rose has been fixed up so nicely. It was my "first" hotel in Bangkok, and always my favorite for its spectacular location. Slowness in remodeling the rooms was a problem, but looks like I can and will return!

G.P. (Allen)

September 24th, 2007, 14:49
I too stayed at the Rose on my 2nd trip to Thailand (1987) - my first trip, I booked through a US travel agent and was in a much higher end hotel ($70US back then). I had seen the Rose mentioned in a couple of guide books, but opted for the travel agent booking.

Seeing the Rose mentioned brought back that first trip. I got into a conversation with a fellow in a restaurant in Patpong area who it turned out was from Dallas, Texas (I was from Fort Worth). He menitoned he was staying at the Rose and, this being my first trip to Thailand, I inquired about the what they thought of taking someone back to your room as my hotel allowed it, but charged me extra - for a double room, since I was booked in for a single room.

I well remember his answer -- "At the Rose, there is no problem. If you went through the lobby with an Elephant, they would just tell you to be careful on the elevaor." :cheers:

Ahhh, memories.

painai2
September 24th, 2007, 16:32
I agree about the spactacular location, the other night I stayed at the Malaysia, and the taxi trip to and from Soi Ngam Duplee and Patpong gets old after awhile.

September 24th, 2007, 22:02
There is a huge high rise being built just in front of The Rose and I have read complaints of noise.

thrillbill
September 24th, 2007, 22:57
I wrote on another thread about the Rose Hotel. I go to BKK about 2-3 times a month for weekends (Pattaya a bit boring for me) and decided to try the Rose Hotel. My room was a "basic" room and it was nicely remodeled...new bathroom fixtures; new tile throughout the room. Nicely done. Small but I don't stay much in the room anyway. I was really impressed with the new pool they added to the premises which has a small garden around it next to dressing rooms, a sauna, and a small exercise room with good quality equipment. People were friendly at the desk. Looks like a lot of Japanese clients stay there.

sydneyboy
September 24th, 2007, 23:01
Thrillbill

Thank you. Have you stayed at the Tarntawan lately? How would you compare the renovated rooms at the Rose with those of the Tarntawan?

September 25th, 2007, 03:11
I stayed in Rose hotel in Nov 2006. Rooms are small but newer and clean. There was no swimming pool, no gym, no in-room internet, no hair dryer...etc. However, the location is supurb. There is a construction going on in front of the hotel, so you should not be suprised to get constant noise and dust.

krobbie
September 25th, 2007, 06:21
I stayed in Rose hotel in Nov 2006. Rooms are small but newer and clean. There was no swimming pool, no gym, no in-room internet, no hair dryer...etc. However, the location is supurb. There is a construction going on in front of the hotel, so you should not be suprised to get constant noise and dust.

Seems like many things have changed since you were there Scott, including the new pool. Not sure if the hair dryers are in place but am folliclely challenged, so not bothered.

I have sent the manager an email asking about the construction and noise and will post when received.

Cheers
K.

September 25th, 2007, 15:28
I think I'll stick with the Tarntawan hotel........the staff are great and rooms around the same money.

krobbie
September 25th, 2007, 15:38

Seems like many things have changed since you were there Scott, including the new pool. Not sure if the hair dryers are in place but am folliclely challenged, so not bothered.

I have sent the manager an email asking about the construction and noise and will post when received.

Cheers
K.

here is the reply from the manager of the Rose Hotel in regards building and noise etc.

"We also would like to inform you that there is a new hotel being built in front of our establishment. Le Meridien will be open about middle of next year. Your room will actually be facing a temple not the new building. It was true that there were some complaints of the noises but it was during last year and earlier this year. The building is almost finished now and they are working on the system and the interior. Therefore, there has not been any complaint about it".

I hope this clarifies a few things. I'm still at the Rose for my stay.

Cheers
krobbie

September 26th, 2007, 00:32
.. I am missing the value for money ratio.

Just being close some night life venues, providing a pool and nojoiner fees (yet) is not enough to justify in my humble opinion anything above 1 700 TBT per night incl. breakfast even during "high season".

krobbie
September 26th, 2007, 02:27

Just being close some night life venues, providing a pool and nojoiner fees (yet) is not enough to justify in my humble opinion anything above 1 700 TBT per night incl. breakfast even during "high season".

Tom, I think you may be missing something. Here is the new Rose sight that I posted earlier on in the thread.

I'm sure you can get a room elsewhere for 1700 but it will probably not have been modernized and some a distance from the action. Whether this is of any concern to you you or not .. that will be the difference.

FYI, it was a toss up between the Rose and Trinity. Rooms bigger at Trinity but since I am not planning a party in my room, the refurbished rooms at the Rose will be just fine for me & mine. But as the saying goes ... Up to you.

Cheers
krobbie

September 26th, 2007, 04:24

Tom, I think you may be missing something. Here is the new Rose sight that I posted earlier on in the thread.

I think you are can get a room for 1700 but it will probably not have been modernized and some a distance from the action. Whether this is of any concern to you you or not .. that will be the difference.

FYI, it was a toss up between the Rose and Trinity. Rooms bigger at Trinity but since I am not planning a party in my room, the refurbished rooms at the Rose will be just fine for me & mine. But as the saying goes ... Up to you.

Cheers
krobbie

Krobbie, that would be even more inappropriate.

There a better rooms just along the other side out of Soi Twilight; Mandarin Hotel on Thanon Rama IV. Having 400 various rooms of carious sizes and several suites, outdoor pool, breakfast and decent service. Room rates around 1 000 per day. It is as gay-friendly as the Rose Hotel is.

September 26th, 2007, 09:08
I wonder when The Mandarin changed it's JOINER'S FEE policy? I have heard many reports of them charging fees and not being too polite about it. Like anywhere some people get away with it.

Oh my! I have posted two negative comments on one trail! How very unlike me?

Well here is a third. I stayed at Sathorn Villa last week to try it out. It is recently re-furbished and the taxi mafia guys from the Pinnacle have moved there. I got a special rate of 1500 baht. It's right down close to the river and faces the ramp to Taksin bridge. Saphan Taksin skytrain station is 5 mins walk away BUT it is the only station with no escalator from the ticket floor to the train floor which made me puff a lot.

The location is poor and the hotel had too many faults and was very poor value compared to The Pinnacle booked through Mr Jimmy jimmyfirst@hotmail.com 081 859 6585 1170 baht for single room big bed 1 breakfast - even though they are currently renovating the lobby.

TrongpaiExpat
September 26th, 2007, 13:52
Not sure why you put that e mail link, like Jimmy is going to answer an E mail?

A guy I know just told me about Sathorn Villa's renovation. I stayed there sometime ago and would not recommend it. It was originally designed as condos or serviced apartments. He told me the renovation was designed to convert it back to apartments. He is just about to sign a lease for 6 months for a one bedroom with full kitchen unit. The company he works for was in negotiations over a price.

I have not been there to see for myself but he looked at the room yesterday and said it was very nice. It's close to his job too. He seemed very pleased with the all the facilities.

September 26th, 2007, 15:09
I wonder when The Mandarin changed it's JOINER'S FEE policy? I have heard many reports of them charging fees and not being too polite about it. Like anywhere some people get away with it.

Oh my! I have posted two negative comments on one trail! How very unlike me?

Well here is a third. I stayed at Sathorn Villa last week to try it out. It is recently re-furbished and the taxi mafia guys from the Pinnacle have moved there. I got a special rate of 1500 baht. It's right down close to the river and faces the ramp to Taksin bridge. Saphan Taksin skytrain station is 5 mins walk away BUT it is the only station with no escalator from the ticket floor to the train floor which made me puff a lot.

The location is poor and the hotel had too many faults and was very poor value compared to The Pinnacle booked through Mr Jimmy jimmyfirst@hotmail.com 081 859 6585 1170 baht for single room big bed 1 breakfast - even though they are currently renovating the lobby.

Mandarin Hotel.
I usually book a double room just in order to avoid unwanted discussions. On the other hand, it is just fair to inform the hotel that two persons are intending to use the room. I never ever have been asked for a joiner fee at the Mandarin.
I have noticed that some people booked on tour groups or displayed hotel vouchers for several days have been asked to pay some extra but this couldn’t bother me at the very least. This practice is isn’t uncommon. If the hotel does have received payments once in advance or thru third parties (i.e. agency), extorting some extra cash out of guest is popular at many hotels.
Nevertheless, the Mandarin isn’t my favourite but I need to use it sometimes while attending meetings and conferences. And some of there staff is as cute as willing but I am pretty happy with my Supervisor and not to much into polygamy.

Sathorn Villa
Any renovation was in high demand. Last year I stayed there once for day and decided its just one day too many.

At the State Tower which is just on the other end Thanon Silom I found a very attractive alternative.

atri1666
September 26th, 2007, 15:36

You are right. I never again stay there. Not a gayfriendly hotel - they charge + they dont like joiners. When you not go at 6am to the breakfast you will not find anything at 8am because of the millions of chinese tourists in this hotel. All day about 2 guards at every lift - no chance for visitor. At the entrance lots of taxi and tuktuk but only the expensive mafia.
Never again for me. Was 2 years ago.

September 26th, 2007, 18:31
I wonder when The Mandarin changed it's JOINER'S FEE policy? I have heard many reports of them charging fees and not being too polite about it. Like anywhere some people get away with it.Yes, I've steered many friends away from the Mandarin because of its explicit joiner's fee policy. I do wonder sometimes what the poor people are doing and now I know - looking for conveniently-located hotels cheaper than B1,700/night. I guess there's always The Suriwong aka. The Crocodile Pond