PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage

September 23rd, 2007, 19:20
[color=brown][b]Hi there Guys,

My partner and I will be in Phuket in the last week May n first week in June. While we are in Phuket we would like to marry. Is there any where in Phuket that will preform a Marriage Ceremony or something similar so we show our Commitment to each other??.

Look forward to hearing from anybody who may know.

September 23rd, 2007, 20:21

My partner and I will be in Phuket in the last week May n first week in June. While we are in Phuket we would like to marry. Is there any where in Phuket that will preform a Marriage Ceremony or something similar so we show our Commitment to each other??.

There is no such thing as an official gay marriage in Thailand.

If your B/F is Thai I would suggest some "informal ceremony" in his village. This will show your real commitment also towards the community where he is from.

If you choose to register your partnership in an European country (NZ or parts of Australia) where such partnerships exist, you can get a visa for your B/F quite easily. He will then have the same rights as a female married to any of your countrymen BUT you will have absolutely no rights in Thailand.

Never forget Thais are at best indifferent towards gay people, but deep inside there is hatred and denial of civil rights. Of course if you have money you will never become aware of this.

September 23rd, 2007, 21:07
There is no legal provision for any Gay marriage in Thailand.

Some temples arrange a buddhist ceremony for partnerships. This is without any legal binding.

Pending on nationality, at some consulates (i.e. at the French embassy) can a gay marriage ceremony be held including all legal documentations. This is something you need to inquire well ahead on time. I any case, be sure that a lot of paperwork is involved.

TrongpaiExpat
September 23rd, 2007, 22:12
you can get a visa for your B/F quite easily

Easy? Care to elaborate on that?

September 23rd, 2007, 22:22

If you are a citizen of a country where same sex partnerships can be registered, you have the right to do so with a partner of your choice. Such registrations have to take place in the country where the Law applies - not in Thailand.

Hence your right to get a visa for your B/F in order to register that partnership in your home country. It's all about a human right.

allieb
September 24th, 2007, 00:48

If you are a citizen of a country where same sex partnerships can be registered, you have the right to do so with a partner of your choice. Such registrations have to take place in the country where the Law applies - not in Thailand.

Hence your right to get a visa for your B/F in order to register that partnership in your home country. It's all about a human right.

I can assure you that the British Embassy in Bangkok or any other place in the world do not dish out visas to boys who wish to have a same sex unity in the UK with a Brit without a full investigation as to if it is a genuine relationship or not.

Bearing in mind that Thailand has a reputation of being a nation of professional whores who are just after your money it can prove very difficult indeed. I believe that one requirement is that you have lived together under the same roof in Thailand continuously for at least 2 or even 4 years in a relationship akin to marriage and PROVE IT

Some of the proof required.

1 Bank accounts in joint name ( very dangerous)
2.Utility bills in joint name
3 Rent or ownership of property in joint name
4 Pictures of yourselves together
5 Statements from prominent British citizens who can testify that the relationship is real

These are just a few of the top of my head. Its not easy

Uranus
September 24th, 2007, 02:07

Nonsense. No western country dish out visas for wannabemarried Thai boys.

September 24th, 2007, 03:14
Allieb,

Where did you find your amazing list of requirements from the UK??

Having brought my Thai partner to the UK just over a year ago, and held our Civil Partnership in December, I can assure you that the process is not nearly as elaborate as you describe.

In fact the application process which my partner undertook was remarkably simple. I helped him complete the application form for the Settlement Visa, and supplied evidence of my own income and property ownership, and letters from two of my friends in support (not exactly prominent citizens!). He lodged the application with the agency which handles the papers on behalf of the British Embassy, and three days later his visa was granted (not even an interview!).

So you see, the checks are quite minimal.

September 24th, 2007, 03:15
Nonsense. No western country dish out visas for wannabemarried Thai boys.

Wrong ! The Swiss Embassy will do everything to help. It is the Law! A Swiss citizen has the right to marry and the same applies for the registered partnership. They will ask for all the documents from your B/F (birth certificate, documents stating that he is not yet married etc) and then transmit the whole to the registry department of your chosen council in Switzerland where the "marriage" can be arranged. Once the appointment taken they will issue the visa and there is definitely no questioning about bank accounts or the duration of living together.

Again: It is a human right and nobody has the right to ask that you live together with somebody before you marry him.

Wake up gay people and get used that we have the same rights as the breeders.

September 24th, 2007, 03:18

Speak for yourself. I don't have the same rights, not here and not in my home country.

krobbie
September 24th, 2007, 13:00

Speak for yourself. I don't have the same rights, not here and not in my home country.

Raksiam, where is that?

I will speak for myself ... you can enter into a marriage or lawful gay partneship in New Zealand with whom ever you wish. For that person to get residency there are a few hoops to jump through but nothing too outrageous. If it's the real deal there will be no great hassle.

Cheers
krobbie

September 24th, 2007, 13:47
Hows that marry your sheep law going there?

September 24th, 2007, 13:54
Allieb,

Where did you find your amazing list of requirements from the UK??

Having brought my Thai partner to the UK just over a year ago, and held our Civil Partnership in December, I can assure you that the process is not nearly as elaborate as you describe.

In fact the application process which my partner undertook was remarkably simple. I helped him complete the application form for the Settlement Visa, and supplied evidence of my own income and property ownership, and letters from two of my friends in support (not exactly prominent citizens!). He lodged the application with the agency which handles the papers on behalf of the British Embassy, and three days later his visa was granted (not even an interview!).

So you see, the checks are quite minimal.

Yes, once both partners are insde the UK it's easy. It's the same with Danmark.

And anything is pending on people who are handling the paperwork.

The Thai system doesn't support same-sex-partnerships a all. The whole process can be very painful and expensice fot the Thai partner.

September 24th, 2007, 14:43

I have talked with the manager of Club One Seven, a nice small (15 rooms) gay hotel. He advised me the following:

I think I can work it out easily. A Thai Commitment ceremony is not difficult to arrange. The basic includes costume and make up, photo-taking, venue for ceremony, reception.
But I would like to have more information from them, as follow:
1. what is your budget?
2. how many guests you would like to invite for the reception?
3. Food and Beverage included?

I think the easiest way is to have him contact me directly, as follow:
Daniel See
Chameleon Management Co., Ltd.
Lobby of Club One Seven Bed & Breakfast
9/9 Prachanukroh Road
Patong Beach, Phuket 83150, Thailand
tel: +66 (0) 76 341 917
fax: +66 (0) 76 341 684
daniel@cluboneseven.net
www.cluboneseven.net (http://www.cluboneseven.net)

Aunty
September 24th, 2007, 16:13

Well just because you live in some sexually repressed dump (the UK, the USA and/or elsewhere) rather than in the enlightened parts of the world, don't take it out on those of us who actually do have the same rights as heterosexuals. Instead of bitching about it, get off your lazy backside and fight for them! As a New Zealander, if I want to bring my Thai husband/bf into New Zealand, it is entirely my right and pejorative to do so.

krobbie
September 24th, 2007, 16:26

Well just because you live in some sexually repressed dump (the UK, the USA and/or elsewhere) rather than in the enlightened parts of the world, don't take it out on those of us who actually do have the same rights as heterosexuals. Instead of bitching about it, get off your lazy backside and fight for them! As a New Zealander, if I want to bring my Thai husband/bf into New Zealand, it is entirely my right and pejorative to do so.[/quote]

I was sitting here wondering how to reply to Raksiam in regards the sheep quip. I have decided the joke is as old as Raksiam himself, so why bother with it all.

Have a nice day in your chosen and enlightened country Raksiam.

alipatt-old
September 24th, 2007, 16:34
Speaking as another New Zealander - please bring the bf's - happy to see the number of great Thai boys increase :bom: :bom:

September 24th, 2007, 16:53

Well just because you live in some sexually repressed dump (the UK, the USA and/or elsewhere) rather than in the enlightened parts of the world, don't take it out on those of us who actually do have the same rights as heterosexuals. Instead of bitching about it, get off your lazy backside and fight for them! As a New Zealander, if I want to bring my Thai husband/bf into New Zealand, it is entirely my right and pejorative to do so.

I was sitting here wondering how to reply to Raksiam in regards the sheep quip. I have decided the joke is as old as Raksiam himself, so why bother with it all.

Have a nice day in your chosen and enlightened country Raksiam.

I guess the sheep comment hit a little too close to home, eh?
Anyway, the USA will have legal gay marriage in about 50 years and nothing I could personally do would speed it up one day. I will be dead then. You are lucky but gloating is unbecoming. Baaaaa!
Look I know that in Kiwiville, sheep jokes and sheep sex jokes are the hottest thing going, so don't act like they aren't.

BTW, I ain't that old but what does that have to do with it?
BTW, the original comment was offensive and incredibly presumptious. The vast majority of gay people in the world do not have equal rights.

September 24th, 2007, 16:53
Heres a good one:

A Kiwi farmer who is having unnatural relations with a sheep is asked if he should rather be shearing the sheep, to which he replies "I'm not shearing this sheep with anyone!"

Any others?

krobbie
September 24th, 2007, 17:36
Heres a good one:

A Kiwi farmer who is having unnatural relations with a sheep is asked if he should rather be shearing the sheep, to which he replies "I'm not shearing this sheep with anyone!"

Bring 'em on Raksiam. There may be a couple us kiwis haven't heard.

You are quite right in regards, most people not sharing (shearing) the good fortune of the few who live in enlightened and forward thinking countries. I don't think the staement was offensive though. Offensive is done much better on other threads on SGT.

Baaaaaaa wink to you too.
krobbie

September 24th, 2007, 17:42
Certainly not intending to start an international incident, but I must say those imported New Zealand legs of lamb are rather fetching ...
Put two together with a fleshlight in the middle, and you've got yourself a real down under party!

September 24th, 2007, 17:55
... to get a visa for Thai nationals in the UK who are brought over by an falang. But I bet the majority of Thai nationals don't get into the UK that easy.

I am sure if the UK embassy sees that the case is genuine, and what I mean by genuine, is a falang who has a good income, job, and own house and can afford to keep the Thai in the UK, and the Thai guy is reputable, i.e. he has either studied or going to study, or has or had a decent job before he leaves Thailand, bonafide address, qualifications even, and perhaps even money to keep himself, then he will get a visa. I'm sure they won't let a guy in who has had no job in Thailand since he has left school, that's if he went to school of course, his falang boyfriend basically is earning only a modest but decent wage - the authorities will certainly not give in to that.

September 24th, 2007, 20:50
[BTW, the original comment was offensive and incredibly presumptious. The vast majority of gay people in the world do not have equal rights.

I am sorry If I hurt you in any manner dear Raksiam. I clearly wrote about certain European countries,specifically Switzerland and NZ / parts of Australia. Men "marrying" together have the same rights as breeder couples (except for child adoption). This includes granting of visa without questioning except about the intention to "marry".

We had to fight many years for that Law to pass. It was voted by a majority of Swiss people two years ago. This is an achievement we are proud of.

I sympathize with you coming from a country where much has still to change for us not being anymore considered 2nd class citizens.

Marsilius
September 24th, 2007, 21:30
"Well just because you live in some sexually repressed dump (the UK, the USA and/or elsewhere) rather than in the enlightened parts of the world, don't take it out on those of us who actually do have the same rights as heterosexuals" - quotre from Aunty, above.

"It might be easy for some of you... to get a visa for Thai nationals in the UK who are brought over by an falang. But I bet the majority of Thai nationals don't get into the UK that easy" - quote from WhiteDesire, above.

The issue of Thai partners having some difficulty getting into the UK is not one of sexuality. Since the UK introduced Civil Partnerships, the UK can no longer (pace Aunty) be categorised - in that respect, at least - as a "sexually repressed dump" and gay couples there have all the legal rights of straight couples [I know: my partner and I went through the ceremony in last year and celebrate our 20th anniversary together in two months time.]

The reason that Thai partners have difficulties is, as White Desire points out, because all immigration is a hot topic in the UK at present and, while EU law rightly allows all EU citizens unrestricted entry to the country, the overall scale of immigration can only be controlled by imposing greater controls over non-EU nationals. I suspect that female Thai partners have as equally a hard time as the males.

kittyboy
September 25th, 2007, 00:47
Is it your Prerogative or your Pejorative?
Just curious about your word choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

krobbie
September 25th, 2007, 02:47
Is it your Prerogative or your Pejorative?
Just curious about your word choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew someone wouldn't be able to help themselves. I am sure Aunty will be delighted with your correction and mortified she made the error.

I think the inference was quite clear even without it though ...IMHO.

Keep up the good work kitty.

Cheers
krobbie

kittyboy
September 25th, 2007, 02:58

krobbie
September 25th, 2007, 03:04
Now now. Get the nice kitty another saucer on milk someone.

Aunty
September 25th, 2007, 04:18
What's that, Beryl?

ned kelly-old
September 25th, 2007, 06:48
Following on from earlier comments where Australia was included as a country where automatic right of visa was stated as an entitlement for your Thai bf or partner is wrong. The same applies to a married hetero couple. Marriage or "interdependent relationship" to a non resident only entitles you to apply for a Interdependent Visa and there are considerably more rejections than successes. Be prepared for at least a six month application process and that is after you have satisfied the minimum living together requirement (or acceptable alternative of very well documented communication and attempts to be together as much as possible). The requirements are very similar to the UK and the Australian citizen that acts as the sponsoring partner has to undertake to provide full care, board and lodging for the first two years and satisfy the Immigration Dept. that they have the means to do so.
While Tasmania and the ACT have laws recognizing Gay rights for next of kin purposes for hospital, etc and pension entitlements, Federal laws which are the only laws that matter when it comes to visas and most important matters are very much lacking and way behind even the UK, which until recently was always seen as tardy compared to their European neighbours.
In matters pertaining to all manner of Gay rights Australia is a long way behind NZ.
It is also very difficult for an Aussie citizen to take his Thai bf as a temporary tourist.....most applications are refused on the grounds that the authorities believe there is a high risk of overstaying. Nationals of other countries visiting with their Thai bf usually have little problem provided they are bona fide tourists.

Aunty
September 25th, 2007, 13:37
In matters pertaining to all manner of Gay rights Australia is a long way behind NZ.

That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?

Sen Yai
September 25th, 2007, 13:51
He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?

Do you, as a New Zealand citizen, encounter problems with Aussie immigrating Aunty?

ned kelly-old
September 25th, 2007, 14:08
Aunty wrote

"That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?"....

Hi Aunty....yes that would be correct. Australia and NZ have a reciprocal residence/employment agreement, so Aussies and Kiwi's do not need a visa to enter and work in either country. In recent years Australia moved to tighten this requirement and Kiwi's now need to have spent at least 5 years( not 100% sure of this, but think it is correct) in NZ before obtaining this right. This was because too many people were using New Zealand's easier immigration requirements as a back-door entry into Australia, where work opportunities and social security benefits were perceived as better.
In the case of your friend although born in Thailand so far as Aussie immigration was concerned he was just another Kiwi and automatic entry unless a criminal record is involved.

Aunty
September 25th, 2007, 16:01
He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?

Do you, as a New Zealand citizen, encounter problems with Aussie immigrating Aunty?

No, Beryl, I don't. I've never been to Australia.

Aunty
September 25th, 2007, 16:12
Aunty wrote

"That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?"....

Hi Aunty....yes that would be correct. Australia and NZ have a reciprocal residence/employment agreement, so Aussies and Kiwi's do not need a visa to enter and work in either country. In recent years Australia moved to tighten this requirement and Kiwi's now need to have spent at least 5 years( not 100% sure of this, but think it is correct) in NZ before obtaining this right. This was because too many people were using New Zealand's easier immigration requirements as a back-door entry into Australia, where work opportunities and social security benefits were perceived as better.
In the case of your friend although born in Thailand so far as Aussie immigration was concerned he was just another Kiwi and automatic entry unless a criminal record is involved.

Given that's there's a bit of a loop-hole there you'd think the Aussie Govt. would change the rules to make it only Kiwis who were born in NZ. Maybe they will one day?

As for gay relationships, I suppose it is a bit more complicated than a non-federal country as the rules will be set by the federal govt. and not the States. If it was just up to NSW or Victoria, I don't think there would be too many problems bringing the husband/bf in. But Queensland and Tas?

sjaak327
September 25th, 2007, 18:25
As you might know The Netherlands was the first country in the world to allow gay marriages. However (and this also includes hetero sexual marriages) a partner ship or marriage, will never be a reason to issue a visa for someone.

My Lao boyfriend will be over here in the Netherlands for the third time (each time 90 days, then has to leave the country for at least 90 days). But I cannot marry in the Netherlands on a tourist visa. He needs provisional stay, which includes a language/society exam. It seems to be easier in Belgium and Germany, a reason why some Dutch people move there to be able to get their partner here on more then a tourist visa. Sad really. No free partner choice in the Netheralnds I'm afraid, and in this case it has nothing to do with gay rights, more with the xenofobic laws that have been requested by a large part of the population. Sad no other word for it.