PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways

September 22nd, 2007, 01:18
Can anybody tell me what Qatar Airways are like please? Are they as good as Emirates? I have booked my flight with Qatar going to Thailand, for November, as Emirates was fully booked for the dates I wanted. Thanks.

jinks
September 22nd, 2007, 03:40
Our search feature is really good....

Best result (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/qatar-air-bangkok-to-manchester-t12225.html?highlight=qatar)

September 22nd, 2007, 14:57
I used to fly Emirates very often. But I found during the last 18 months that Qatar is definitely the better choice.

allieb
September 22nd, 2007, 15:25
I always use Qatar Airways. Good food plenty of booze and Always on time. Join the frequent flier club and get 10kg extra luggage on top of the 10kg over that the staff are told to waive. Last trip I turned up at BKK airport on the home trip with 52 Kg and didn't pay any excess. I always travel Y class on Qatar.

As we know here in the Middle East the Qatar Government heavily subsidizes this airline in order to make it the best in the Middle East Its Y class is a lot better than Emirates.

Emirates Y class seating is 3.4.3

Qatar Y class seating is 2.4.2

September 22nd, 2007, 17:50
Good food. Similar seat back entertainment to Emirates. Cheap prices. Good legroom in economy. These are the advantages. The disadvantage is that Qatar airport is a building sight which means that you get bussed to the aircraft which could be quite a distance from the terminal. Also, the terminal is no where near as good or big as Dubai.
I joined their frequent flyer program as soon as I booked my ticket. Dont know whether it made the difference when they double booked my seat on the Qatar to BKK leg and I was the one who scored the upgrade. Business class suitably luxurious but by seat didnt go flat (something wrong with the motors), but I didnt have the nerve to complain too much. As it was a night flight, there were not any meals or anything except a snack (yes it was caviare) and a G and T.
Bear in mind that my experience is based on just one return trip, London to BKK.

September 22nd, 2007, 18:14
Qatar's J class seats do not go totally flat to 180 degrees. About 160 degrees at most.

As bad as Doha airport is it is a damn site better than Dubai. Try finding a place to sit in Dubai, and you are also likely to face a long bus ride in Dubai as well. If you are flying J or F, Qatar premium lounge is much better than Emirates. Much less crowded and only those actually paying J or F can use it.

atri1666
September 22nd, 2007, 18:28
I already flew in april with QR in Business and it was better service than LH and about the same like Thai. I fly again in november. Some years back used eco one time and i could bear it.Was enough space to sit and good food. Very cheap duty free in doha. Always buy there cigarettes for my friend starting at 7 Euro. When you book the business ticket from istanbul or athen you can save a fortune. Paid for my fork-ticket to bkk and from kul 1390 euro in business. I saved over 50%. Really big screen and lots of entertainment. 6 course dinner on both flights from athen to doha and also to bangkok and lots of fine wines and champaign. Every flight you receive one aigner-cosmetic-kit. During the little stay in doha you can rest in the premium terminal with free food and drinks and private transfer to the plane. Eco-passengers must use the normal terminal.

September 22nd, 2007, 23:40
I have used Qatar many times and I think they are better than Emirates, if you can stand Doha airport which is the only downside. Go for a short stopover 1hour and and you should be ok.

September 23rd, 2007, 15:49
IMHO Qatar Air are certainly the best carrier flying between the UK and Thailand (via the Gulf area) and indeed better than those carriers flying direct. They advertise themselves as a 5-star airline and they live up to that. The quality of their business class beats many other airlines' first class and the BC price at roughly ┬г1600 is a bargain for the service provided.