PDA

View Full Version : Involved with underaged

September 19th, 2007, 21:19
We often read about people caught with minors but rarely hear of what happened to them. Here is a rough translation of an article which appeared this morning in a French newspaper:

(Los Angeles) A 58 year old American was sentenced yesterday to ten years firm in jail by the justice of his country (USA) for having sexual activities with minors.

Steven Erik Prowler, a teacher who worked in Thailand pleaded guilty last February. He was arrested by the Bangkok police in May 2005 in the presence of two teenagers of 15 and 16 years old. They later stated in court that they were paid to have sex with Prowler.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 19th, 2007, 21:49
"We often read about people caught with minors but rarely hear of what happened to them"

that most "come to an arrangement" with authorities.

Fancy being called Prowler !

fedssocr
September 19th, 2007, 21:54
I think I read an article about this case in The Nation or BKK Post the other day. He apparently paid the kids a whopping B200. I believe some of his neighbors tipped off the police because he was seen with lots of boys going to his condo.

After he was deported from Thailand he was taken in police custody to the US and prosecuted in the US (California I believe) under an American law that targets sex tourists and punishes them under US law.

10 years is a serious sentence.

September 19th, 2007, 21:57
10 years is a serious sentence.
But well deserved !

Marsilius
September 19th, 2007, 22:32
I take it, then, buaseng, that, even though you give your location as England, you disagreed with the current UK government when it equalised the straight and gay ages of consent at 16? After all, you say that his 10 year sentence is "well deserved", even though one boy was 16.

September 19th, 2007, 22:48
Fancy being called Prowler !You beat me to it. However it's obviously not as common a name as, say, "aussieal" :idea:

dab69
September 20th, 2007, 03:54
re:Ramses

guess who's back

jinks
September 20th, 2007, 04:24
re:Ramses

guess who's back

Wrong... this is a new canuck.

Now we have two :)

September 20th, 2007, 12:26
I take it, then, buaseng, that, even though you give your location as England, you disagreed with the current UK government when it equalised the straight and gay ages of consent at 16? After all, you say that his 10 year sentence is "well deserved", even though one boy was 16.
Firstly the boy involved was 15 in all the reports I have seen and one the boys in the prior offence the previous year was 14.

Why I say well deserved?
a. The 'PROTECT' law under which the guy was charged in the US relates to the protection and sexploitation of minors and sex tourism with under age kids. It became law in California in 2003.

b. The offence for which he was found guilty happened in 2005 and he admitted to other offences committed on a previous visit in 2004.

c. The dickhead therefore traveled to Thailand for pedo purposes knowing full well what would happen if he was caught.

Not only is he sick in the head he was damned stupid as well - that's why he deserves his sentence.

puckered_penguin
September 20th, 2007, 13:22
Firstly the boy involved was 15 in all the reports I have seen and one the boys in the prior offence the previous year was 14.

Why I say well deserved?
a. The 'PROTECT' law under which the guy was charged in the US relates to the protection and sexploitation of minors and sex tourism with under age kids. It became law in California in 2003.

b. The offence for which he was found guilty happened in 2005 and he admitted to other offences committed on a previous visit in 2004.

c. The dickhead therefore traveled to Thailand for pedo purposes knowing full well what would happen if he was caught.

Not only is he sick in the head he was damned stupid as well - that's why he deserves his sentence.

I think that pedophilia is usually used in instances related to pre-pubescent children and post-pubescent and before legally defined adulthood is defined as pederast. (excuse my poor grammar)

I am not sure if there is a category for sex-tourists and sexpats who play around with people more or nearly 1/2 their age.

I think many people are attracted to young Thais because they exude an innocence of a 15 year old and have bodies that look child-like even though they may be 18 or 25 years old.

Would you agree buaseng?

September 20th, 2007, 15:14
I think that pedophilia is usually used in instances related to pre-pubescent children and post-pubescent and before legally defined adulthood is defined as pederast. (excuse my poor grammar)

I am not sure if there is a category for sex-tourists and sexpats who play around with people more or nearly 1/2 their age.

I think many people are attracted to young Thais because they exude an innocence of a 15 year old and have bodies that look child-like even though they may be 18 or 25 years old.

Would you agree buaseng?
You can play around with semantics all you like - pedophile? or pederast? - they both concern sexual activity with under-age people. The fact remains that this guy came to Thailand looking for sex with under-age kids knowing full well of the consequences if he was caught.

The age difference should not matter one iota as long as the younger person is of legal age, unless of course you are supporter of age discrimination.

I do not agree with your point about being attracted to Thais because they exude innocence and have young bodies - although it might well apply to the closet pedos (of all nationalities) who frequent the gay scene in Thailand.

The main attraction for me to Thai boys (my preference is in the age range 20 to 25) is their attitude to life and their total lack of inhibition or hang-ups on sexual matters. The latter is a pleasant change from the neuroses displayed by modern youth in Britain today especially to anyone over the age of 30 (and even that age is far too old for many of them!).

September 20th, 2007, 15:33
Words do matter. So do laws.

Most boys over 14 are post-pubescent, not prepubescent. Different countries have different laws of consent. You have to respect the laws or expect big troubles. Also, if you come from a western country that exports its sex laws, you have to respect those laws as well.

Pedophilia or p├жdophilia (see spelling differences) is a preferential or exclusive sexual attraction by adults to prepubescent youths. A person with this attraction is called a pedophile or paedophile.[1] The ICD-10 and DSM IV, which are standard medical diagnosis manuals, currently describe pedophilia as a paraphilia and mental disorder of adults or older youths, if it causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Ephebophilia or Hebephilia has been defined as sexual attraction to adolescents. [1]

The term comes from the Greek: έφηβος (ephebos) variously defined as "one arrived at puberty", "a youth of 18 who underwent his dokimasia and was registered as a citizen (Athens)", and "arriving at man's estate"; and φιλία (-philia) "love".[2][3] Despite this classical etymology it is a term of modern coinage, created by German scientist Magnus Hirschfeld in 1906.[4] It has been used by Dutch psychologist and pro-pedophile activist Frits Bernard as far back as 1950,[5] reprinted in 1960 in the gay support magazine Vriendschap under the pseudonym Victor Servatius,[6] also crediting it to Hirschfeld though giving no exact date.[7]

The term has also been used by the Frenchman Felix Buffiere in 1980 and described at length by Tariq Rahman in 1988 who argues that it should be used in preference to 'homosexuality' for describing grown men's aesthetic and erotic interest in adolescent boys (See Pederasty) when classical literatures in Persian, Turkish or Urdu are under discussion.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 20th, 2007, 18:40
podophile..a lover of feet which made it very difficult as one always had to ensure ones feet were scrupulously clean with fresh socks when going out with him for the night.

I've only found one Thai who is comparable-but it is highly erotic having ones toes sucked (as the Duchess of York will attest).

This law in the US exists in a few western countries but what would happen if he had slept with a Spanish, German or Swedish lad of the same age-or for that matter- a 15 year old in New Mexico where it is entirely legal ???? :dontknow:

September 20th, 2007, 18:43
podophile..a lover of feet which made it very difficult as one always had to ensure ones feet were scrupulously clean with fresh socks when going out with him for the night.

I've only found one Thai who is comparable-but it is highly erotic having ones toes sucked (as the Duchess of York will attest).

This law in the US exists in a few western countries but what would happen if he had slept with a Spanish, German or Swedish lad of the same age-or for that matter- a 15 year old in New Mexico where it is entirely legal ???? :dontknow:
It is OK in a US state with lower consent laws, and there are a number of them like that. Ironic really. OK in some US states but not OK abroad where the federal law comes into play.

September 20th, 2007, 19:34
If in Thailand, you are caught with a 17 year old, you will be charged (as 18 is the age of consent (am I right)), however, in the States if there law says 16 (I think it does in some States), would you still be charged when you arrive back in the US?

Secondly, if you are classed as a sexpat but not illegally, i.e. go with people well over the age of consent, does that mean you will be charged when you go back to the States if they know you have been to a country just for sex. Don't laugh at this one, I really don't know. My presumptions are saying no, but who knows the way the americans work.

Thoughts.

September 20th, 2007, 19:45
If in Thailand, you are caught with a 17 year old, you will be charged (as 18 is the age of consent (am I right)), however, in the States if there law says 16 (I think it does in some States), would you still be charged when you arrive back in the US?

Secondly, if you are classed as a sexpat but not illegally, i.e. go with people well over the age of consent, does that mean you will be charged when you go back to the States if they know you have been to a country just for sex. Don't laugh at this one, I really don't know. My presumptions are saying no, but who knows the way the americans work.

Thoughts.
Not stupid questions.
The federal law applies to Americans outside the USA. It doesn't matter if you are a resident of a state with a lower age of consent.

On your second question, I haven't heard about any such prosecutions, but it wouldn't shock me.

September 20th, 2007, 19:46

Thoughts.
First point:- I would imagine YES as if you had been charged and convicted in Thailand of a sexual offence against an 'under-age' person.

Second point:- I would guess NO, (unless there is a separate law??) as the law involved in this case only deals with sextourism for the purpose of sexual activity with 'under-age' persons.

Just my opinion but others may differ!

TrongpaiExpat
September 20th, 2007, 19:49
I don't wish to get involved in a legal debate over US Federal law but here is an interesting link usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2004/Nov/24-569238.html (http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2004/Nov/24-569238.html)

This Extra-territorial law (in UK terms) Extra Judical (US terms) was a UK idea and applied in UK before USA jumped on the band wagon.
https://www.worldvision.org.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.675