PDA

View Full Version : Millenium Hilton Bangkok

sydneyboy
February 15th, 2006, 01:39
Thank you for those helpful comments on the Sukhothai and Peninsula hotels in Bangkok, much appreciated. Has anyone had experience of the new Millenium Hilton? Is it far from the Peninsula? What is the pool and fitness facilities like? Any comments would be appreciated.

February 15th, 2006, 03:19
Na not rich enough to stay in the Hilton although I could probaly get a package deal.Why do you want to stay in high class places like this?
Bringing guests back would be frowned on.Your going on holidays and your woried about the pool and the gym.Mate go to Bangkok and get on the piss ,and party.Forget the bloody gym,the posh hotels and go there and mix with the normal farang and have a good time.
Mate even Molly Meldrum doesnt stay in posh hotels when he goes there.

I LOVE MOLLY MELDRUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 15th, 2006, 04:32
Bringing guests back would be frowned on.

...or maybe respected because you are paying the bills and can act like a gent, whatever your orientation.

Your going on holidays and your woried about the pool and the gym.

Maybe getting into the gym and pool is something you yearn for because your high earning schedule doesn't leave a lot of free time.

Mate go to Bangkok and get on the piss ,and party.Forget the bloody gym

Yeah, wreck your health and take no time to recuperate. Thai guys really go for that look.

BenCH
February 15th, 2006, 06:05
"This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon and is accepting reservations beginning March 1, 2006."

http://upload2.postimage.org/152891/BKKHITW_Millennium_Hilton_Bangkok_home_right.jpg (http://upload2.postimage.org/152891/photo_hosting.html)

It is on the same side of Chao Phraya River as The Peninsula and not too far from it, it's opposite the Sheraton Royal Orchid and River City Shopping Center. This picture from their web site shows the view from the hotel towards Saphan Thaksin (Bridge); the tower on the right is The Peninsula, in the middle is Shangri-la with State Tower behind.

As no one can report yet on experiences made in this hotel, maybe you check out their Web Site yourself (where you also will find maps and directions):

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/inde ... cn=BKKHITW (http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=5HMJHLBLJQ5FWCSGBIYMVCQKIYF CXUUC?ctyhocn=BKKHITW)

February 15th, 2006, 06:14
Room rates for stay in March start from $84++, or $105++ with breakfast for 2. If you want to try this new Hilton, be quick. I remember when the Peninsular was first oepn 4-5 years ago it cost only $80 a nite, now it demands $170 a nite.

February 23rd, 2006, 02:50
Yeah, wreck your health and take no time to recuperate. Thai guys really go for that look.

Thai guys (as do Asian guys in general) go ga-ga over aging, short, pasty-faced Scots with St Bernards in tow.

February 23rd, 2006, 05:49
I will be traveling alone and would like to stay at this new hotel. If I book a double room, will "guests" be frowned upon? Generally, how are "guests" treated at night (but not overnight) at this kind of upscale hotel if dressed casually but appropriately? Would I expect a "joiner" fee even if I've paid for a double room?

The hotel's website says that the hotel has easy accessibility to CBD. What iand where s CBD? Thanks for your help!

February 23rd, 2006, 08:18
What is the CBD?
"Bangkok-CBD:-
Easy accessibility to the CBD with our complimentary shuttle boats sailing you directly to Taksin Saphan BTS Station or our River City Reception Lounge. The CBD from Taksin Saphan BTS Station is accessible within 8 minutes door to door with hassle free, air conditioned transport on the Skytrain. A dedicated Reception Lounge located on the opposite bank of the Chao Phraya River provides even greater convenience acting as the perfect springboard for a 10 minute taxi ride to the CBD." Hilton website

I still have no idea. I'd worked out 'Cash Boy Overnight' but that does not seem to fit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/280504HILT07261_lrg.jpg

The rather startling hotel has been around a decade or so. A guide told us that it was to be a Sofitel but that, due to inadequate foundations, the city planners had forbidden it to be occupied. Hopefull Hilton have sorted that out otherwise ones view of the Chao Praya River could be closer than you expect. It is another hotel on the undesireable bank of the river and so requiring a long taxi route or transfer to a shuttle boat.

Perusing around for information ( Bless Google) I found that the British Hilton International had bought the US Hilton Hotels last year.

I was always under the impression that Bangkok was overbedded with hotels but recent full signs up everywhere would indicate a need for even more top class hotels.

cottmann
February 23rd, 2006, 08:41
What is the CBD?

Central Business District.

February 23rd, 2006, 08:46
If my memory is correct; that building was an empty shell for many years. Glad some light will be coming from that dark corner of the Chao Praya.
Reminds me of the Northshore here in PTY.

sydneyboy
February 23rd, 2006, 14:14
Thank you for these comments. Could I repeat my original request and ask for your experience on the pool and gym facilities.

February 23rd, 2006, 14:50
As far as I can make out this place opens next week, so the only folk with experience of the pool and gym would be the builders. Thanks for bringing it to our attention though. US$84 seems very reasonable for this quality of hotel even though it is on the wrong side of the river.