PDA

View Full Version : What to do during the day in Bangkok

bao-bao
September 19th, 2007, 07:54
EVA was (and maybe still is, it's worth a look) running a sale -- in the $700 range for economy, 900 range for evergreen class -- on tickets from the West coast of the US to Bangkok, making airfare affordable for this ol' farang - so I'll be there in a few days for a short rest.

Nothing planned; my best friend there is up to his kaw with work and can't take time off, so I'm on my own to fill the days he's at the office.

I've done the grand palace, Wat Po, Chinatown, the crododile farm, the snake farm, Chatuchak, Dusit zoo, Lumpini park, the areas around a number of BTS stations and most of the shopping areas (Pantip the most often, I suppose) in addition to a number of other places not immediately springing to mind, but I'm posting to see if others have places they like to go for lunch or things during the early/mid/late afternoon.

I'll probably wander through the "clubs" area -- just to see what they look like in the harsh light of day (those areas in Pattaya were interesting in the daytime) but I don't suppose anything's open there before sunset, is there?

Does anyone have suggestions? Just casting about for ideas here. I'm light years away from an expert on the city.

If there are any of you IN Bangkok in the next couple of weeks and want to have lunch or get out and do something, PM me and maybe we can get together.

Thanks in advance! :bounce:

bucknaway
September 19th, 2007, 08:09
During the day I explore the soi's so that I will have a sense of where I am going at night. I have found places I would never have found if I was looking around at night.

I also like to take the sky train, get off at a random stop and walk around and take pictures.

September 19th, 2007, 08:25
Do you like bowling sir?

Nothing like going bowling with 3 thai guys and watching their delight.

bucknaway
September 19th, 2007, 09:55
Do you pay those guys once the bowling is over?

fedssocr
September 19th, 2007, 10:11
if you haven't been to Ayutthaya it's a nice day trip.

there's always a longboat ride around the canals. I missed the Royal Barge Museum last year so I would check that out.

the flower market is really amazing.

I might try to find some of the more artsy things. maybe go shopping at Playground!

you should get a copy of TimeOut BKK. it's full of cool and interesting ideas for self-guided tours. shopping options.

September 19th, 2007, 11:56
After 8 trips I still have a wish list of things to do.
There are a couple of beautiful old wats in the old Ratannakosin section near the Royal Palace. Wat Ratchabopit and Wat Rachapradit are near the "Pig Shrine" and within easy walking distance of the Royal Palace. Also the City Pillar.
Farther out past the Giant Swing (a cab/tuk tuk ride away) are Wat Rachanadda and the Golden Mount.
Near Khao San road is Wat Bowonniwet which is the one where the kings do their stint as a monk (and where Rama IV was abbot - the center of the Thammayut sect). And out near the Dusit Zoo is Wat Benchambophit which is almost entirely made from Carrera marble. Beautiful.

Once we took the river taxi along the khlong San Sap that runs behind the Jim Thompson House. We caught it near the Golden Mount and went all the way to Ratchadamri road, got off and walkid to Bayoke Sky tower and after went to Suan Pakkard Palace. Once I even took the river taxi from Sathorn pier all the way to Nonthaburi and back, a good 2 hr trip at least.

You didn't mention Vinmanmek Palace which is also in the Dusit area. If you havent seen that its also definitely worth a visit.

Marsilius
September 19th, 2007, 12:04
And Jim Thompson's house itself, of course - full of very beautiful things (the antiques aren't bad either!)

AMARETTO-old
September 19th, 2007, 14:05
And why not a visit to Duang Prateep Foundation and ask someone there to go with you to Bangkok's slum.
http://www.en.dpf.or.th/

ter that, take a look at a food market near the foundation, most of the sellers are Lao people. Sorry but I don't remember the name of that market but maybe someone here can help, it's a big food market.
Don't go to the slum by your own, just take a taxi to go to the foundation.

TrongpaiExpat
September 19th, 2007, 14:07
I'll probably wander through the "clubs" area -- just to see what they look like in the harsh light of day (those areas in Pattaya were interesting in the daytime) but I don't suppose anything's open there before sunset, is there?

A few are, My Way might be open in the afternoon. The sleaze bars on soi 6 area area, Golden Cock etc. are open in the afternoon.
All the massage venues open in the afternoon. Babylon is open early, most come for the pool in the day light hours.

Silom Complex second floor for tea and cake. Watch the Silom Complex boys whom most seem to be named One-Thousand, that's what they say when I pass them and look at them, must be their name.

Getting back to something a little more cultural: I like the Vinmanmek Palace and Jim Thompson House recommendations. Vinmanmek is sometimes closed for various Royal functions.

There's lots to do on the weekends in Bangkok. Look in the Bangkok Post and the Nation on Friday and there's listing of all the events and shows in town.

Shuee
September 19th, 2007, 15:42
i often find myself in the same situation - wondering what to do in the day, if its the wkend maybe try chitachat market - that massive market.
how bout the cinema in one of the big shopping malls

Like kenc, after serveral trips to another regular area of los, i still have the same list that i keep taking with me of things i need to do whilst there, but i just seem to get into the lazy thai way & relax too much in the sun & never get to do them

adman5000
September 19th, 2007, 16:54
I enjoyed the National museum and walking around the Sanam Luang area if there is an exhibit going on.

Hmmm
September 19th, 2007, 19:50
If you liked Pantip, Fortune Town is worth a visit. Smaller and less hectic but much the same range. Software on display like the old days at Pantip. Easily reached via the underground.

Do the 'shopping run' - lunch at MBK food court, then shop/hop between shopping centres (Siam Discovery etc) all the way to Siam Paragon. The best bookshop in BKK. Then BTS from Siam to Central Chidlom or continue walking along the raised walkway to the huge renovated World Trade Centre. Then walk the rest of the way to Central Chidlom. The boys over at CFS might recommend a detour to Big C Ratchadamri, where there's another food court and cruising is apparently AYOR.

Of course you can break up this consumerism trek over several days.

Other ideas: BTS to Saphan Taksin and then the boat to Nontaburi and back.

Smiles
September 19th, 2007, 20:29
Get thee to the Democracy Monument / Khaosorn area and hunt down the Choke Chitr Restaurant / Hole-in-the-Wall.

Apparently it's a well-known icon of traditional Thai cuisine in Bangkok ( read a review ~ with directions ~ here: http://www.wheretoeat-bangkok.com/resta ... _chitr.htm (http://www.wheretoeat-bangkok.com/restaurant_reviews/choke_chitr.htm) )

I've never gone, but it will become a quest this coming November (among a couple hundred other Bangkokian quests yet unfullfilled). Get there first and write about it after you've gorged yourself.

This is the place you'll be looking for ... which doesn't look much different than a million other Thai restaurants all over the city:

http://my.photodump.com/sawatdee/chotechitr.jpg

I like the suggestion of the klong rides. Try some of the less well-known ones, but don't rock that boat!! Most Bangkok klongs are filthy.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
September 19th, 2007, 22:31
Fomer poster Silom, now bloger, came across this new site with loads of listing and references: thailandscene.com/ (http://thailandscene.com/)

September 19th, 2007, 22:49
I'm not too impressed with your website, Mr. Smiles. They didn't even get the name of the restaurant right (it's CHOTICHITR, not "Choke Chitr"). It's one of those restaurants that is passed around from one foodie to another, and has been called the "secret foodie mecca" for at least 20 years. The fact is, it's nothing special. But feel free to see for yourself.

September 20th, 2007, 02:51
I've always enjoyed taking the ferries up and down the Chao Phya river. Not the tourist boats or hiring a Long Tailed boat but the ferries the local's use. You can also get to most of the tourist sites if you want to and it probably won't cost you more than 10 Baht. Try a trip to the Grand Palace via the river or Wat Arun on the other bank.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Chao_Phya_03.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Chao_Phya_02.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Chao_Phya_01.jpg

llz
September 20th, 2007, 03:04
You will find a lot of ideas for Bangkok and many other places in Thailand at this website :
www.thaitravelblogs.com/ (http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/)
It's a pity this great resource doesn't seem to be as regularly updated as before but it is still very useful. Some dead links too.
I tried for example the Maeklong Railway trip (Samut Songkram) and the Paknam Fort visit (Samut Prakan) and had wonderful days in a true thai atmosphere (no farang at all and free eye-candy on the whole day ...).

September 20th, 2007, 03:29
... not much to do, the best way around it (after you have done all the tourist holidays in BKK, i.e. the flower market, temples and so like) is:

do all the bars etc of a night time - go out around 8:00 p.m. - and stay up till 3 a.m., but probably 1:30 as the clubs close at 1:00 (unless that has changed), with a couple of tricks between 10-11 at night, so you have ample time afterwards for a few bevvies.

Then if you want another trick, log on to the internet sites for freebie tricks, that takes you to 3:00 a.m.

Off to bed, ????? then don't get up till around 11 a.m., have some breakfast and maybe a swim in your local hotel and then go to Babylon where you can sunbathe, gym it, swim, have a nice evening dinner, and a cruise around, for the rest of the day, till around 6 or 7 - then back to your hotel, for a rest.

Then at 8:00 p.m. ish - start all over again!!!

pronto
September 20th, 2007, 03:59
You will find a lot of ideas for Bangkok and many other places in Thailand at this website :
www.thaitravelblogs.com/ (http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/)
Thanks, llz. You always have good resources at the ready.

September 20th, 2007, 08:51
do all the bars etc of a night time - go out around 8:00 p.m. - and stay up till 3 a.m., but probably 1:30 as the clubs close at 1:00 (unless that has changed), with a couple of tricks between 10-11 at night, so you have ample time afterwards for a few bevvies.

DJ Station is generally open till 3am, then G.O.D. (the old Freean in Soi 2/1) is open till 5 or 6am (not sure which. never been able to last till closing). And thats 7 nights a week.

bao-bao
September 20th, 2007, 20:55
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their ideas on day/afternoon activities in Bangkok!

I loved the idea of a visit to the Duang Prateep Foundation offices. If I can't arrange that on this short trip I'll certainly set things in motion for a visit to them or a similar agency in the future. I've read about/investigated several others along these lines (i.e. Dr P's group) that are well worth supporting. The key for me is feeling more-or-less secure that the money's going where it's intended to be going, if you know what I mean. My philosophy is we can't save the world, but we can help small parts of it.

I also may well take a meal at the hole in the wall restaurant mentioned by Smiles. If nothing else I'm almost always assured of getting my sinuses cleared when I try the local food, even when I ask for mai phet LOL

If any of you had thought of something but hadn't posted it yet, here's another chance to do so. I'll be heading over there in the next couple of days and will check the board as possible.