PDA

View Full Version : First visit to Thailand

September 17th, 2007, 07:05
I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November. I have been reading the postings on this forum and found the information very helpful. But have a few Q to ask please?

1. Has anybody stayed at the Marina Inn Plaza hotel in Pattaya (Sunee Plaza) / What is it like to stay there?

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights?
is this enough time in each of them places?

3. How much are the boys to hire in Pattaya?

4. Best place to find nice looking boys 18 years and over?

5. Any recommendations on airlines to book with?

6. Is it best to change currency here in London before I travel or in thailand?

Many thanks in advance.

September 17th, 2007, 07:48
A lot of first-timers here lately.
Here's some of my thoughts....

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights?
is this enough time in each of them places?
On your first trip I would reccomend giving Koh Samui a pass. I found it to be a bore and not very scenic. The gay nightlife is a bit on the light side also. I would spend th extra time in Bangkok and maybe due a side trip to Ayuthaya or somesuch.

GOODNESS! Do NOT change your currency overseas right now. The offshore rate is still about 8-10% less than the rate in Thailand due to currency controls.
I would recommend using your ATM card to get cash in Thailand. Be sure to inform your bank before you go that you will be using your card overses!

September 17th, 2007, 08:44
[quote="blacktouch"]I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November.

First visit to Thailand

More thoughts

1. I would suggest the Lek Hotel in Pattaya 2nd Road. It is very popular and not expensive - about ┬г15 per night
2. I agree with Kenc:stay an extra night in BKK and this will give you time to see the royal Palace which musn't miss, go on the river and perhaps visit the River Kwai. It will also give you more time to explore the nightlife.
3. Boys in Pattaya are about 300B = ┬г5 bar(off) fee and 1000Baht up for the boy.
4. You will have to look for yourself LOL
5. Go from london via Dubai with Emirates (good service and value)
6. I suggest Travellers cheques (sterling) initially - better exchange rate and then ATM Dont change money in UK
HAVE A GREAT TIME YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Wesley
September 17th, 2007, 08:47
Thia airway is cheaper but Delta on taveloisty last night was giving a hell of a discount to Thailand

pronto
September 17th, 2007, 10:08
Delta on taveloisty last night was giving a hell of a discount to Thailand

But Wes, he's originating in London. While Delta is certainly an international carrier and has other airline partners, they do not have a London/Bangkok route. Drfrost3's Emirates answer is the better one.

Dodger
September 17th, 2007, 16:34
One-2-Go Airlines has reasonable rates, although their landings can be a little rough.

Wesley
September 17th, 2007, 17:18
Delta like British has connections all over the world, I fly delta out of Moscow often.

Wes

September 17th, 2007, 17:33
I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November. I have been reading the postings on this forum and found the information very helpful. But have a few Q to ask please?

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights? is this enough time in each of them places?

5. Any recommendations on airlines to book with?

To answer the points above:

2. If you are coming for the 'gay experience' forget about Koh Samui - very small gay scene and comparatively expensive to stay and eat. OK to visit on another later trip to do the touristy things if you must.
Suggest 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok, maybe a side trip to Chiang Mai for 3 nights and the rest of your time in Pattaya.

5. EVA Air flies direct from London as does THAI Air. Forget BA/Qantas who also fly direct - their service is appalling and if you are in economy there is little leg room to stretch out (and it's an 11 hour flight). Try Emirates via Dubai or Etihad via Abu Dhabi - both break up the journey into roughly equal legs of about 7 hours (but check the stopover times half way as these can in some cases be several hours, especially if your transit time is in the middle of the night).

The other alternative is to fly from London City to Amsterdam and then KLM to Bangkok - you can book a through ticket. Bonus with this option is you avoid the crowds and hassle at Heathrow/Gatwick.

6. Definitely bring sterling travellers cheques which can be changed at the many banks/bureau de change in Thailand. Avoid using your credit card to get cash - it is a very expensive way of funding your trip. Suggest you get about ┬г15 worth of Thai baht (about 1000 THB) to bring with you in small denominations (20's, 50's and 100's to pay tips etc until you can get to change your T/Cs - the exchange counters on arrival at the airport can sometimes have large queues, depending on what time of day you arrive).

As someone has already mentioned, make sure you inform your bank/credit card company, before you travel, about the dates you will be in Thailand to avoid the distinct possibility that a payment or withdrawal will be refused because it appears to be an 'unusal transaction' as far as they are concerned.

September 17th, 2007, 18:11
One-2-Go Airlines has reasonable rates, although their landings can be a little rough.

Much as I enjoy a joke this is in very poor taste!!!!

September 17th, 2007, 18:46
Thank you all for the kind help and very useful information.
After reading all your advice/comments, I think I may give Koh Samui a miss this trip,
and do another time? Think its best to then do maybe Bangkok for 3 nights, Chiang Mai for 3
nights, as read good write ups on it, then the rest of my time in Pattaya.
Think I will fly with Emirates. Been checking their fairs, and they seem to be around ┬г498 return, with 2 connecting flights
via Dubai and Hong Kong (with about 4 hours in total, between both connecting flights).

Many thanks again for all your help

pronto
September 17th, 2007, 19:10
Delta like British has connections all over the world, I fly delta out of Moscow often.

Wes
Yes.... they have a JFK/SVO and a ATL/SVO route. But, they do not have a London/Bangkok route.

Sen Yai
September 17th, 2007, 19:35
Think I will fly with Emirates. Been checking their fairs, and they seem to be around ┬г498 return, with 2 connecting flights
via Dubai and Hong Kong (with about 4 hours in total, between both connecting flights).

Try to get an Emirates flight with only 1 stop in Dubai, then direct to Bangkok. (Unless you want to go to Hong Kong as well, of course....)

Hong Kong is another 2 hours flying time further East, and two hours back again!

You should be able to get a similar price.

September 17th, 2007, 20:31
Think I will fly with Emirates. Been checking their fairs, and they seem to be around ┬г498 return, with 2 connecting flights via Dubai and Hong Kong (with about 4 hours in total, between both connecting flights).

No, no, no, there is absolutely NO reason to fly via Dubai AND Hong Kong (unless you want to/need to visit HK on the trip). That's just plain stupid (excuse the pun). You are adding totally unnecessary time to your journey.

Ask for or book Emirates online London/BKK/London via Dubai. Suggest you look at http://trips.travelocity.co.uk/.
Have used them frequently and they are very reliable and they have usually the best fares and flight availability (except of course for the bucket shops, but you take your chances with them !).

September 17th, 2007, 20:40
I dont really want to go via Hong Kong, but thats whats coming up when I look at the fairs with Emirates. Flight from London via Dubai, via Hong Kong, Bangkok.

atri1666
September 17th, 2007, 21:02
Why you not book online with qatar-airways? Return fare 472 GBP-testbooking for 3.11.-24.11.07 in eco and 1549 GBP in business
Homepage http://www.qatarairways.com/home_eng.html?linkdes_0

September 18th, 2007, 05:59
Blacktouch, I suggest you go to www.supermarketholiday.com (http://www.supermarketholiday.com) and you will find all fares listed from the cheapest at ┬г463 to ┬г1400 as the most expensive. You will also be told the route, stopover if non-direct and total travel time. I find what is on offer unbeatable but I'm sure a poster will prove me wrong.

Also, I suggest you open a Nationwide account and get their credit card and debit card. They do not make a charge for using them overseas. If you do this you have your money at your fingertips, so to speak, and at no extra cost than if you were using them in the UK.

Enjoy your trip.

September 30th, 2007, 01:22
Blacktouch, I suggest you go to www.supermarketholiday.com (http://www.supermarketholiday.com) and you will find all fares listed from the cheapest at ┬г463 to ┬г1400 as the most expensive. You will also be told the route, stopover if non-direct and total travel time. I find what is on offer unbeatable but I'm sure a poster will prove me wrong.

Also, I suggest you open a Nationwide account and get their credit card and debit card. They do not make a charge for using them overseas. If you do this you have your money at your fingertips, so to speak, and at no extra cost than if you were using them in the UK.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you ahobni. Very helpful information. I already have an Nationwide account. I will update account to Debit card one.

Beachlover
February 3rd, 2008, 07:34

lol you don't say!

February 3rd, 2008, 08:54
Emirates flies London Dubai Bangkok AND THEN ONTO HONG KONG. There will be no transit stop in Hong Kong. You only fly to Hong Kong with Emirates if you want to go there.

Qatar flies London Doha Bangkok. Etihad flies London Abu Dhabi Bangkok. Gulf flies London Bahrain Bangkok. If you want to break your journey instead of flying non-stop, you have many choices. Of the 4 choices probably Qatar offers the best on board service...the other three very average, but with the right crew it could be good. Qatar and Etihad have the newest planes and therefore the best chance of getting consistent on board service including entertainment. Emirates Dubai airport is EXTREMELY crowded and should be avoided....Qatar's Doha and Etihad's Abu Dhabi are better, but not great. Gulf's Bahrain is the best of the bunch.

For me, non-stop with Thai....so much more convenient...get on and get off. When u transit with an airline, there is more chance of loosing luggage or delays in the next flight or something else going wrong. About the only advantage is being able to walk around between the flights for a bit, (sometimes it is hours)...but that gets old after 30 minutes or so.

February 3rd, 2008, 09:59
blacktouch - you will have a ball.

Pm me a mobile phone if you want to chat - im In London and will be going soon also.

travelerjim
February 3rd, 2008, 10:06
blacktouch - you will have a ball.

Pm me a mobile phone if you want to chat - im In London and will be going soon also.

How soon your return Oogleman?

All the boys miss you so much...
always ask "Where is that sexy Santa"?

Your friends miss you too :-)

See you in LOS soon?