PDA

View Full Version : silom hotel

September 17th, 2007, 04:39
I have just booked to come to Bkk in February. Up to now I have stayed in The Tower Inn, Silom Rd. Any suggestions for an alternative, please? I want a hotel with a swimming pool and to be able to bring a boy (or two) back without any hassle. I normally pay Bt1700 per night for Tower Inn. Many thanks in advance.

bucknaway
September 17th, 2007, 04:57
You trying to stay in the Silom area?

September 17th, 2007, 06:24
Bucknaway, doesn't have to be but not too far from the action.

September 17th, 2007, 06:34
I have just booked to come to Bkk in February. Up to now I have stayed in The Tower Inn, Silom Rd. Any suggestions for an alternative, please? I want a hotel with a swimming pool and to be able to bring a boy (or two) back without any hassle. I normally pay Bt1700 per night for Tower Inn. Many thanks in advance.

Well all you want it the Unico Grande Silom, formerly know as Tower Inn. The hotel got a well done make over and is looking better now. Or there is the sister hotel, Unico Grande Sathorn Boutique, Silom Soi 3

Trinity Silom Hotel Silomi Soi 5 is also very good.

All three hotels do usually not give guests any hassle with joiners. Ensure that joiners are registered with you, just in case.

September 18th, 2007, 05:38
Bucknaway and ttom, many thanks for your replies. I think I will give the Trinity a try this time.

bucknaway
September 18th, 2007, 05:42
I am going to give the Trinity a try also. I contacted the Chin House and their rate went up 1000 baht and they are having a name change next month....

I am booked at Vincents for a while and I am going to try Trinity on my final week in Thailand.

September 18th, 2007, 05:51
Have any of you tried the Saladang Place Serviced Apts...nice , close to Central Dept Store...great pool, can bring guys home...I jsut got back and stayed there and easy walk to Tawan my favoirite go go bar

Good luck
You can google them for more info

September 18th, 2007, 11:27
Oh...Saladang Place had been unfriendly for a while. Have they changed? Their joiner fee was steep as I recall. Only registered guests for pool, sauna, breakfast, etc.

TrongpaiExpat
September 18th, 2007, 12:45
Looks like a 700B Joiner fee but hard to tell from their web site. Used to be 800B and they called it a joiner fee.
saladangplace.com/ (http://saladangplace.com/)

"Extra person in each room will be charged Baht 700.- net per person included daily breakfast. Breakfast for visitors will be charged Baht 150.- net per person. "

Before I lived here, I used to stay there all the time but when the 800B joiner fee came, I did not return.

September 18th, 2007, 14:14
Oh...Saladang Place had been unfriendly for a while. Have they changed? Their joiner fee was steep as I recall. Only registered guests for pool, sauna, breakfast, etc.

... as before. Saladeang Place is not really gay friendly.

September 18th, 2007, 16:39
Have any of you tried the Saladang Place Serviced Apts...nice , close to Central Dept Store...great pool, can bring guys home...I jsut got back and stayed there and easy walk to Tawan my favoirite go go bar

Good luck

I am rather surprised that this place now allows you to bring boys back..... are there any extra charges? Used to stay there a few years ago until they started charging for overnite guests.

September 18th, 2007, 17:25

Good luck

I am rather surprised that this place now allows you to bring boys back..... are there any extra charges? Used to stay there a few years ago until they started charging for overnite guests.

Services Apartments are no hotel! You can invite to your condo anybody you like. It is all your own responsibility.

September 18th, 2007, 17:58
Services Apartments are no hotel! You can invite to your condo anybody you like. It is all your own responsibility.And a condo is not a serviced apartment. Many serviced apartment managements believe they have every right (for their guests' protection, of course) to regulate who may visit someone staying in a serviced apartment. A rented condo, however, is something altogether different

thrillbill
September 18th, 2007, 22:08
I just stayed at the remodeled Rose Hotel and the rooms were nicely done. Since it has been less than a year since it has been re-opened the rooms look new. Some people say they're small but I don't spend all day in my hotel room anyway. The nice surprise was the new pool that is tastefully landscaped. The Rose hotel runs around 2000 baht right now.

bucknaway
September 18th, 2007, 23:35
I was about to book at the Trinity Silom but I went to www.tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com) and people were complaining about bugs and baby roaches at the Trinity. Anyone have any information on this?

I don't want to stay there if they have bugs.....

September 18th, 2007, 23:48
I'll wait until Bucknaway gets a response to his inquiry. I want to share with boys not bugs. I remember years back on my very first visit to Bkk I stayed at the Suriwongse. The place was crawling with roaches, massive big ones, even bigger than you see deep fried on the vendor stall along the road. I left the light on and they stayed under the bed. There was millions of them.

Bucknaway, when are you visiting Bkk? I will be there the second half of February. I don't want to leave booking too late as I might not get a room.

September 19th, 2007, 00:12
When I stayed at Trinity a few years back I didn't see any bugs. However, I did see a breakfast chef who didn't have the faintest idea how to fry an egg, a very dark, but largeish, room with a view that begged for the curtains to be kept closed, a family of Indians waiting in the lobby for a car for several hours... are they still there?

Though my "buffet" breakfast was included I was glad of the croissant place nearby, called Pain of France or something similar.
I got value for money but hadn't paid much. I prefer to pay a bit more these days.

'scuse me, my next French pain, a fine Bordeaux awaits.

September 19th, 2007, 00:23
Services Apartments are no hotel! You can invite to your condo anybody you like. It is all your own responsibility.And a condo is not a serviced apartment. Many serviced apartment managements believe they have every right (for their guests' protection, of course) to regulate who may visit someone staying in a serviced apartment. A rented condo, however, is something altogether different

A serviced apartment is nothing but a condo with some extras included. Therefore the rental agency or landlord is usually (over-) charging additional costs for water and electricity. Sometimes room cleaning is included, sometimes not.

September 19th, 2007, 00:47
When I stayed at Trinity a few years back I didn't see any bugs. However, I did see a breakfast chef who didn't have the faintest idea how to fry an egg, a very dark, but largeish, room with a view that begged for the curtains to be kept closed, a family of Indians waiting in the lobby for a car for several hours... are they still there?

Though my "buffet" breakfast was included I was glad of the croissant place nearby, called Pain of France or something similar.
I got value for money but hadn't paid much. I prefer to pay a bit more these days.

'scuse me, my next French pain, a fine Bordeaux awaits.

I’ve never ever had any problems with the Trinity hotel. The only problem is, the hotel is often booked out, especially if the University is having some events.

And Supervisor likes it too. He is very much value-for-money orientated and as soon as we need to travel to Bangkok and booking a room, he arranged accommodation at the Trinity. He wouldn’t set his foot into the Suriwong Hotel anymore after having visited a friend there once.

September 19th, 2007, 02:40
One can only assume that whatever "University" it is that is proximous to Soi 3/Soi 5 the students don't like their eggs easy-over.

Actually, I have moved "dorm" upmarket and frequently stay at the Dusit property next to Chula. i.e. MBK Heights.

bucknaway
September 19th, 2007, 03:47
I will be in Thailand from October 11 till November 5th. I don't like to be in Thailand during high season because of the prices and all the visitors from the west. I am in the west... Can't they stay home and let me enjoy my vacation without them having to be there? LOL

I'll wait until Bucknaway gets a response to his inquiry. I want to share with boys not bugs. I remember years back on my very first visit to Bkk I stayed at the Suriwongse. The place was crawling with roaches, massive big ones, even bigger than you see deep fried on the vendor stall along the road. I left the light on and they stayed under the bed. There was millions of them.

Bucknaway, when are you visiting Bkk? I will be there the second half of February. I don't want to leave booking too late as I might not get a room.

bucknaway
September 19th, 2007, 03:49
Here is the link where I read others views on the Trinity

Also, someone says in the posts that the pool they show is not in the hotel but across the street in a different building.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where ... mit=submit (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where=body&returnTo=&pid=214&SearchTeaser=%28your+destination%2C+hotel+or+attra ction%29&q=trinity+silom&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

September 19th, 2007, 04:16
Thanks Bucknaway, I think I'll stay with the Tower Inn, or Unico Grande as it is now known. Never had any problems with it but just fancied a change. Enjoy your stay.

Hmmm
September 19th, 2007, 19:19
Never seen any insects during several stays at Trinity.

The Trinity pool and gym is part of the health club on the 9th (?) floor of the Trinity condo building across the soi. Hotel guests get free access. It's one of the nicest pools in Silom. Rooms are a bit dark because the building is surrounded by high-rises. Breakfast was moved to a bright room several years ago and is not bad for the price.

The other hotel in this price range with a pool is the Plaza, but the pool is not as nice. Rooms nicer though. Further to BTS.

Both around the 1200 baht mark from memory. About the best value in Silom if you want a pool.

If the pool is a priority, go for Trinity. If the room's more important, go for the Plaza.

Someone else will have to advise on joiner policy.

September 19th, 2007, 19:40
I was about to book at the Trinity Silom but I went to www.tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com) and people were complaining about bugs and baby roaches at the Trinity. Anyone have any information on this?

I don't want to stay there if they have bugs.....

There's no extra charge for them, even though they are overnight guests!

bucknaway
September 19th, 2007, 23:12
is there a web link for the plaza?

Never seen any insects during several stays at Trinity.

The Trinity pool and gym is part of the health club on the 9th (?) floor of the Trinity condo building across the soi. Hotel guests get free access. It's one of the nicest pools in Silom. Rooms are a bit dark because the building is surrounded by high-rises. Breakfast was moved to a bright room several years ago and is not bad for the price.

The other hotel in this price range with a pool is the Plaza, but the pool is not as nice. Rooms nicer though. Further to BTS.

Both around the 1200 baht mark from memory. About the best value in Silom if you want a pool.

If the pool is a priority, go for Trinity. If the room's more important, go for the Plaza.

Someone else will have to advise on joiner policy.

Smiles
September 20th, 2007, 01:22
Wouldn't it be easier just to Google search 'Plaza Hotel Bangkok'? I just did it and there are lots of links, and it took all of 4 seconds.
Not trying to be anal (certainly that'll be the accusation), but this kind of easily-searched question seems rather odd given the efficiency of search engines.

Cheers ...

pronto
September 20th, 2007, 03:41
Wouldn't it be easier just to Google search 'Plaza Hotel Bangkok'?

Yes, it would certainly. I think people often just post a reflexive question with respect to links. You're right; all it takes is just a few seconds in a search engine.

bucknaway
September 20th, 2007, 06:13
I could do that but it may not come up with the same hotel he mentioned. I stayed at the Regent in Bangkok but you could Google it and maybe not find the Regent I stayed at. Sometimes you guys are just negative for negatives sake.

Wouldn't it be easier just to Google search 'Plaza Hotel Bangkok'? I just did it and there are lots of links, and it took all of 4 seconds.
Not trying to be anal (certainly that'll be the accusation), but this kind of easily-searched question seems rather odd given the efficiency of search engines.

Cheers ...

September 20th, 2007, 15:07
Here is the link where I read others views on the Trinity

Also, someone says in the posts that the pool they show is not in the hotel but across the street in a different building.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where ... mit=submit (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where=body&returnTo=&pid=214&SearchTeaser=%28your+destination%2C+hotel+or+attra ction%29&q=trinity+silom&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

I’ve read the link. If rooms where half as bad as mentioned before, the hotel would less popular.

But I’ve read all the others comments too which where just the opposite.

Again, I never ever had any reason to complain, except hat the hotel is often fully booked.

The Trinity Hotel is part of a big complex, inculding an block with services apartments and a shpping mall.

September 20th, 2007, 23:12
The Trinity Hotel is part of a big complex, inculding an block with services apartments and a shpping mall.

My recollection is that you have to go out of the hotel, across the soi to the Mall/Complex that houses the swimming pool. I never used the pool as it was too inconvenient. I don't remember any shops being open in the mall when I stayed there a few years back. I do remember having to fight my way through a soi market and hordes of office workers taking breakfast off food stalls, to get onto Silom Road.

It's value for little money. I'd rather pay a bit more in that area.

September 21st, 2007, 01:23

My recollection is that you have to go out of the hotel, across the soi to the Mall/Complex that houses the swimming pool. I never used the pool as it was too inconvenient. I don't remember any shops being open in the mall when I stayed there a few years back. I do remember having to fight my way through a soi market and hordes of office workers taking breakfast off food stalls, to get onto Silom Road.

It's value for little money. I'd rather pay a bit more in that area.

I see your point. I am usually out for work or attending conferences while being in Bangkok and therefore pool etc. is of no impotance to me. Supervisor is either joining me or visiting family; as a typical Thai, he wouldn't strip down to speedos for a swim during daytime. It's hard to find another place which can match the Trinity.

The Unicorn Silom (Silom Tower Hotel) does have a splendid roof top pool area. For just a little more you get it all. And most of the rooms have been renovated so the whole lot is really nice now.

Sen Yai
September 21st, 2007, 01:36
The Unicorn Silom (Silom Tower Hotel) does have a splendid roof top pool area. For just a little more you get it all.

Here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/TowerInnpool.jpg

thrillbill
September 21st, 2007, 02:09
I've been at Tower Inn since it has changed its name and like I said earlier, the Rose Hotel. I would definately take the newly remodeled Rose Hotel over the Tower Inn because of the main reason that the Rose Hotel is walking distance to soi Twilight and soi 4. The Tower Inn is in the Silom area but it is about a 15 minute walk down Silom to get to the night life which means walking at a snail pace with all the sidewalk vendors blocking the sidewalks. With the humidity and crowds while walking, you're sweating before you even reach the next block. You can take a taxi from Tower Inn to soi 4 or 2 area but it can be a hassle--why stay there when there are hotels that are a shorter walking distance? The brand new pool at the Rose Hotel is definately nicer with its surrounding gardens. The basic rooms are smaller at the Rose than at Tower Inn but they have been nicely redone.

September 22nd, 2007, 00:10
IтАЩm familiar with both the Rose and Tower Inn and would agree completely with thrillbillтАЩs comments. CanтАЩt beat the location of the Rose and, although rooms are smaller than Tower Inn, the Rose rooms just seem better. Still, I do prefer the Tarntawan and always stay there, if I can get in.

In fact I had some conversations recently with my current favored BKK barboy on the topic of hotels. I figure who better to ask than someone who visits a different BKK hotel room every night. In his expert opinion, Tarntawan is best. Of course his requirements of a hotel may differ from mine or yours. LOL

No pool at Tarntawan though, ahobni. They do have an agreement with a gym/pool in Thaniya, used to cost 200 baht last time I used it, but I hear itтАЩs now 400 baht and the gym was being renovated and not in a good state or so my friend said who went there a few weeks back. Gym renovations may (or not) be finished now. You certainly wonтАЩt have any problems bringing boys back at Tarntawan though. On the odd occasion I come back empty handed, the security guard seems quite disappointed for me!

Brad the Impala
September 22nd, 2007, 01:43
as a typical Thai, he wouldn't strip down to speedos for a swim during daytime.

A bit perplexed by this statement. You mean typical thais don't swim during the daytime, or wear something other than swimming trunks?

We were discussing swimming pools in Bangkok.

September 22nd, 2007, 03:40
I rather suspect that quite a few posters on this board never get up early enough to see all the Thai guys swimming in the hotel swimming pools in their tuxedos. When I discovered it I was told it was a highly secret Buddhist ritual.

krobbie
September 22nd, 2007, 04:25
I have to get a hotel with a pool as I am an amputee (right leg below knee) and it gives me freedom not to wear my prosthetic. Still undecided if it will be Rose or Trinity or even Unico next trip. I will wait and see closer to the time (January 14),

My guy swims with me everyday, whether it's morning or afternoon. I did however have to dissuade him from wearing his white underwear in the pool. I was getting a few side glances from other patrons, so we took off and got some of my Aussie Bum speedo type things. Fortunately we are about the same size. The patrons had no trouble with those although more revealing and totaly transparent when wet. In fact many stopped by to chat around the pool. Hmmmmm.

Swimming is liberating.

Cheers
keith

September 22nd, 2007, 15:03
as a typical Thai, he wouldn't strip down to speedos for a swim during daytime.

A bit perplexed by this statement. You mean typical thais don't swim during the daytime, or wear something other than swimming trunks?

We were discussing swimming pools in Bangkok.

.... would not expose there skin to the sun if there is a chance to avoid it.

Dark skin is he very last Thai or most Asian people like.

September 23rd, 2007, 07:00
Here here on the Rose... great pool, friendly people, nice restaurant, gay friendly (no joiner fee if not overnight). Only problem is no view. For me it's between here and the Pinnacle.

krobbie
September 23rd, 2007, 07:37
Here here on the Rose... great pool, friendly people, nice restaurant, gay friendly (no joiner fee if not overnight). Only problem is no view. For me it's between here and the Pinnacle.

Bugger the view. The only view I want is to see the smile on my mans face when I see him.

Have just done a booking with Rose Hotel for 5 nights for mid January.

Great reservations guy with fantastic manner. Command of written English, brilliant, so there are no grey areas as to what I require.

He apologised as their new website is under construction so only the current prices and booking set up (up untiil October) etc are available at this time. He did, however, take my booking by my email and gave it too me at a VERY GOOD rate. Further than that I cannot say.

So, it's off to the Rose we go, ho ho. :bounce:

Cheers
Krobbie

bucknaway
September 24th, 2007, 10:15
Ok... I booked at Silom Residence @ Trinity (Formerly Trinity Silom Hotel) thru asiarooms.com I booked the Executive suite for 2,080 baht a night. Once I am there I will post my opinion of the place