PDA

View Full Version : did anyone see the Wolfenden programme on Ch 4 in the UK ?

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 14th, 2007, 13:39
or know if it can be downloaded on the net anywhere ?

For those under 85- the Wolfenden Report in the 60's changed the laws on homosexuality in England to make it legal.

Those around at the time will remember the very grand Lord Montague of Beaulieu ( who now has the world's largest motor museum on his property) was banged up in jail for about 12 months after a scandal first involving boy scouts camping on his property-for which he was found innocent , but then found guilty for lending his seaside holiday home to a friend to take a couple of soldiers to. The supposed heinous crime was contributing to their depravity even though both soldiers were in their 20's and consenting adults.

The decision to finally de-criminalize homosexuality was actually directly related to the great Irishman Oscar Wilde who was singled out by the British establishment as a way of putting an end to what was then perceived as shocking decadence at the time. It worked up until the 1960's.

There was a highly amusing and true story told by Lord Wolfenden himself-he wrote to his son at the time of the inquiry to tell him that it would prudent while all this was happening that he refrain from visiting the family home in his usual garb-a sunny frock , pancake make-up , lipstick and a cheap woman's wig.

September 14th, 2007, 14:47
Yes. I caught that. It was very well done. Though, perhaps the stellar and excellent thespians lent an air of glamour that wasn't actually in the committee room.

C4 also showed "Breaking the Code" as part of a week to mark the anniversary of the decriminalisation in England. This is a far more seedy piece, excellently acted with Derek Jacobi and Prunella Scales. I like to think that Turing's sentencing to chemical castration and his subsequent suicide also affected the decision to add homosexuality to the remit of the Committee.

One understands that certain films with Dirk Bogarde also played a part in shaping the culture to consider whether decent middle-class ex-public schoolboys should be blackmailed by spivs and chased by plods.

Marsilius
September 14th, 2007, 20:55
You can download and watch many Channel 4 programmes free for the following 30 days after broadcast. Details on www.channel4.com/4od (http://www.channel4.com/4od)

Unfortunately "Consenting Adults" does not seem to have been included in the offer.

If you are over 30 days on, by the way, it costs 99p for a programme. A bargain!

September 14th, 2007, 23:06
or know if it can be downloaded on the net anywhere ?

For those under 85- the Wolfenden Report in the 60's changed the laws on homosexuality in England to make it legal.

Those around at the time will remember the very grand Lord Montague(sic) of Beaulieu ( who now has the world's largest motor museum on his property) was banged up in jail for about 12 months after a scandal first involving boy scouts camping on his property-for which he was found innocent , but then found guilty for lending his seaside holiday home to a friend to take a couple of soldiers to. The supposed heinous crime was contributing to their depravity even though both soldiers were in their 20's and consenting adults.

Lord Montagu of Beaulieu subsequently married twice and is still alive. In an interview he gave this year he says he is proud that he paid his part in helping to change the law. I have met him 2 or 3 times and he is of course mentioned in the film about Wolfenden which I saw.

I am grateful that the law changed as it helped me to "come out"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Dou ... f_Beaulieu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Douglas-Scott-Montagu,_3rd_Baron_Montagu_of_Beaulieu)

September 14th, 2007, 23:29
Unfortunately "Consenting Adults" does not seem to have been included in the offer.

I suspect this is because they may be considering taking it to market in a more lucrative form. Mel Smith, the comedian, was particularly impressive in a straight role.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 15th, 2007, 00:10
I never met the Lord but did meet his gamekeeper's son.. a terrifically good looking lad who was born and raised on the property..and spent a lot of time with Montague, much to the puzzlement of his parents.

He told me all about Montague's experiences, jailing etc and of how all his staff were so very upset as he was perceived by them as a generous and kind employer.

Sadly the boy-who clearly worshiped Montague, died soon after in a train accident at Notting Hill Gate tube station.

September 15th, 2007, 01:19
Interestingly, the other Lord Montague (Baron Montague of Oxford) was posthumously instrumental in securing the Civil Partnership in the UK as Lord Ali raised the case of his Japanese Partner becoming homeless after Montague's demise.

As described here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Montague,_Baron_Montague_of_Oxford)

Makes you think "What have the Capulets ever done for us?"

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 15th, 2007, 09:29
but reading of his life I see he was a friend of the plainly named John Smith.

How recent history would have been so different if the very decent John Smith had not died so suddenly -and gone on to become PM in the UK.

Wesley
September 15th, 2007, 09:51
its been a pleasure getting to know you.

Wesley