PDA

View Full Version : Visa to India and China?

Dboy
September 11th, 2007, 08:26
Anyone here have experience on obtaining Visa's for India and/or China using the embassy's in Bangkok? Debating whether to attempt that in Bangkok or better to do it in my home country(US)? Problem is that they set a timer on Visa validity and don't want to get the Visa too early in my trip. Thanks for intelligent info. Also interested in Visa to Iran, but rules are greatly different for American travellers than others so info on Iran is appreciated but only from those experienced in the US-specific issues.

dboy

September 11th, 2007, 08:36
I've gotten visas from both the Indian and Chinese embassies in Thailand. No problem, but I'd suggest having a travel agent do the running around and waiting in line for you (for a small fee). Most are happy to for a couple hundred baht.

Dboy
September 11th, 2007, 10:27
Thanks, that's what I'll do.

dboy

September 11th, 2007, 11:28
However much the handling fee, you may find you are without your passport for a few days. The Indian Consulates in a number of countries state that the minimum processing time is a week; not sure about Bangkok

September 11th, 2007, 14:40
It is one week at the Bangkok Indian Embassy. On my last (and do I mean my LAST trip to that embassy): 1) BEFORE noon someday fill out the appl. get a number and get in line and apply showing ur passport (copy), 2) keep ur passport for the week but drop that off BEFORE noon on the day of pickup, 3) come back in the afternoon to pickup ur passport with visa on that day.

I have known Americans to get it a couple days early if they plead. Ask when u submit the application. Apparently the Indian and US governments have more efficient "security" arrangements. I remember picking my passport up there a couple days early just in time on Dec. 27, 2004 amongst mayhem and appreciate their efforts.

The Indian Embassy in Bangkok is located in a horrible to reach, traffic wise, part of Bangkok. If you don't leave early enough consider it likely that you may not make it there BEFORE noon. Alternatively it may be best to take the skytrain to Nana station and then take a motorcycle the rest of the way.

There is a 10 year tourist visa good for multiple entries available to some country citizens in their own countries. Ask in Washington. It's the same cost as two tourist visas so is a good deal if you plan on going there 2 or more times in the next 10 years. Beware that you can apply and pay for it but arbitarily be given just 5 years. And always at least check websites or call to make sure you are getting up-to-date information.

September 15th, 2007, 18:41
I used a travel agent in Pattaya to book my airfare to China. They got a very good fare. They also took care of the visa for no handling fee as part of the booking. It is true that you have to make sure you do not get it too early.

Bob
September 15th, 2007, 20:03
As of August 1, at least for US citizens, the Chinese have doubled the visa fee from $50.00 (US) to $100.00 (US). I know....because my application arrived about August 3rd.

With the Olympics next year, the Chinese are making sure that they will make a ton of money on visa fees alone (if, for example, they get 5 million visitors at that price, that's half a billion in visa fees alone!).