PDA

View Full Version : Boyfriend not doing so well...

September 6th, 2007, 23:28
After the longest period of relative health since his diagnosis as HIV+ almost three years ago my boyfriend is not doing so well now. Just over a month ago he had to have an operation to repair damage to his stomach lining following a persistent problem with a gastric ulcer. The ulcer was diagnosed before his HIV status and I've never known if there is a connection.

I wasn't surprised that his CD4 count went down after that as his body recovered from the operation.

Then two weeks ago he had his dog stolen and was devastated as he's had her since she was a puppy (see avatar). As he lives alone she was often his only company.

Then two days ago he came off his motorcycle and hurt his leg but, he assures me, not seriously.

And now he's just seen the doctor at the clinic he attends and his CD4 count is way down. So much so that rather than the three or four week gaps between visits he has to go back next week. He finds the trip into Bangkok from rural Ratchaburi very tiring and "Nah beuar mark!" (very boring) so he's not very happy at the moment.

Knowing my boyfriend's astonishing powers of recovery I'm optimistic that he'll bounce back and even after such a catalogue of bad news he still managed a "Mai bpen rai" (no problem). For sheer determination to carry on, no matter what, I've never met anyone like him. He's unique and a real hero who deserves some good luck sometime soon.

Brad the Impala
September 7th, 2007, 01:09
I hope he gets his good luck soon.

September 7th, 2007, 02:05
Ditto

alipatt-old
September 7th, 2007, 02:17
In Sure We all hope his luck will improve - at least he has you

billyhouston
September 7th, 2007, 05:13
They say that bad luck comes in threes. He's had his three and it's time for a change.

I hope he gets well soon.

Wesley
September 7th, 2007, 06:10
Al the best to you and your bf, I hope all does well for you both. I am sure you are concerned about the future. Keep us posted as to his health.

Wesley

Aunty
September 7th, 2007, 14:38
Well I'm very sorry to hear that. And also that your bf's dog was taken. If someone is willing to match it, I'm quite happy to donate 1500 Baht to your bf so he can buy a new puppy (let's get the ball rolling on this) and also to show to your bf that there are people in this world who give a damn.

krobbie
September 8th, 2007, 06:00
Well I'm very sorry to hear that. And also that your bf's dog was taken. If someone is willing to match it, I'm quite happy to donate 1500 Baht to your bf so he can buy a new puppy (let's get the ball rolling on this) and also to show to your bf that there are people in this world who give a damn.

Aunty .. I'll be in on that.

As an HIV+ man with an amputated right leg below knee and most recently I find I have chronic renal failure, I realise, shit happens. Nothing I can't deal with. I'm on the wrong side of 50 so, you know ... roll with the punches. This poor kid doesn't sound like he's had much of a life yet.

The obvious moralising about how one puts oneself in a situation to become HIV+ is sooooo yesterday. All poz people know they totally fucked up, but let he who is without sin etc etc.

Let me know further progress on dog. How much do we need Aunty / Kun Jon?

Cheers
K.

September 8th, 2007, 07:59
Rough time,

He's having a rough time, hope the skies clear quickly for both of you!

Best wishes,

Kevin.

krobbie
September 8th, 2007, 08:59
Rough time,

He's having a rough time, hope the skies clear quickly for both of you!

Best wishes,

Kevin.

Kevin ... I'm fine ... truly. You know, stuff happens. I still get up every morning at six and head of to my job. I am fortunate to be in a country that pays for all my meds and other treatments. It's this young guy that needs our attention. Thank you for your kind words though.

Cheers
keith

September 8th, 2007, 15:06
I can update the latest news on my boyfriend. It's been decided that he will go into hospital on Monday for three days.

The doctor wants to change his medications and monitor him carefully for a period. This will also include a lot of tests on the other conditions that have been causing problems.

Getting my boyfriend to agree to go into hospital and stay is not easy. After his double cataract operation he discharged himself and travelled home peering out from under the bandage on one eye as he went. But I'm reasonably confident that he understands the importance this time and that he will do as instructed.

The offer of money for a new dog is very kind indeed and much appreciated. But I hope all will understand if I don't do anything about it at the moment as I don't want to distract him from the immediate business of getting over his current bout of illness.

Actually he knows very well that I will be happy to replace "Julia" but I need to know he is home and looking after himself properly again before I do anything. A grown dog is relatively easy to leave alone for the short periods he has to be away but a puppy would be another matter.

My next trip to Thailand is for Christmas and New Year which will give me a better opportunity to sort things out.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support.