PDA

View Full Version : Luciano Pavarotti 1935-2007

Aunty
September 6th, 2007, 12:12
Rest in peace Maestro, and thanks for the wonderful voice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4

lonelywombat
September 6th, 2007, 13:16
[quote="Aunty"]Rest in peace Maestro, and thanks for the wonderful voice.

Thank you Aunty I have dowloaded that and I am sure it will get many replayings in the years ahead.

September 6th, 2007, 18:05
Without doubt the finest tenor, and probably the finest singer (male or female), that the world has ever known.
(For Homoturd and anyone else - just my opinion).

Just watching that clip brought tears to my eyes!

We will never see his like again - the world is a poorer place today for his passing. RIP

Marsilius
September 6th, 2007, 19:03
Very sad though his loss is, let's not overdo it.

Pavarotti, for one, knew his own limitationss and restricted his own repertoire accordingly. In Italian opera it is a matter of taste whether one prefers the emotional and golden-toned Pavarotti or the rather cooler (ands elegant?) style of Placido Domingo. But it is undeniable that the latter's range - notably extending wonderfully into Wagner - is far wider.

As for also claiming that Pavarotti's abilities exceed those of all past female singers, how can a comparison be made when there is no common repertoire to compare? (But, if you still insist, for sheer excitement and depth of tone give me Kirsten Flagstad or Eva Turner anytime. Which reminds me of the occasion when the two of them met: "Oh, Miss Turner", said Flagstad, "I have for some time wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your top"... Whereupon Turner (a lesbian, incidentally) is reputed to have replied in all innocence "And I, Madame Flagstad, have always been a great admirer of your bottom!")

Luciano Pavarotti R.I.P.

September 6th, 2007, 20:24
Without doubt the finest tenor, and probably the finest singer (male or female), that the world has ever known ...
We will never see his like againBoth of those statements are manifestly untrue (about anyone)

September 6th, 2007, 21:28
Without doubt the finest tenor, and probably the finest singer (male or female), that the world has ever known ...
We will never see his like againBoth of those statements are manifestly untrue (about anyone)
Trust you Homoturd, the board's pompous old windbag, to add your totally unnecessary two-penneth ! As a philistine how you would know anyway !

Sadly your latest contribution has forced me to place you on ignore - if you don't like what I say, maybe you should do the same for me. Eff'ing Tosser !!

Wesley
September 6th, 2007, 21:30
Once again my dear Col. you bring us back to reality even in His death. No need to shed a tear for the passing now is there. After all that is one thing we all share in common. Death is absolute and quite final. We all share in this one experience and how much money we have has little to do with how well we face it.

Wesley

Smiles
September 7th, 2007, 05:06
" ... Sadly your latest contribution has forced me to place you on ignore - if you don't like what I say, maybe you should do the same for me. Eff'ing Tosser !! ... "
Are you going to also put Marsilius on ignore as well, seeing as how he wrote essentially the same thing regarding Pavarotti? Also, you kind of left yourself open for Homintern's sarcasm by calling him "homoturd" right out of the blue with no provocation. What do you expect ... a big wet kiss, or perhaps an invitation to sit on his face?

Cheers ...

September 7th, 2007, 05:26
Trust you Homoturd, the board's pompous old windbag, to add your totally unnecessary two-penneth ! As a philistine how you would know anyway !

Sadly your latest contribution has forced me to place you on ignore - if you don't like what I say, maybe you should do the same for me. Eff'ing Tosser !!

"I may not approve of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Seems you have a problem to live up to what Mr. Voltaire said - your own dictum... oh well!

September 7th, 2007, 05:52
Once again my dear Col. you bring us back to realityI guess that is my perspective but I really am more interested in wankers who throw the words "ever" and "never" about. In this particular context those words are simply unprovable. I imagine Snowkat thinks that by putting me on {Ignore}, somehow that prevents me pointing out what a damn fool he is. Good heavens, I had boygeenyus on {Ignore} for months and that never stopped me reminding the world what a hypocrite he was, just as I have my niece Aunty Tourette Higgs on {Ignore} but don't desist from pointing out her many pretensions - Nuclear Physics for the Under Fives, anyone?

And just in case there's any doubt, I am prepared to endorse The Independent's assessment - "He was famed for popularising opera, exploding its appeal beyond the concert halls and on to the streets. And he did so with one of the most formidable voices in the world."

September 7th, 2007, 10:24
... there's this (my feelings exactly)

Marsilius
September 7th, 2007, 11:48
The general concensus is that he was one of the two finest tenors of the past 50 years. But it is also generally agreed that the "golden age" of opera ended by the 1960s and that the true greats sang before that date.

Aunty
September 7th, 2007, 14:32
Isn't that bloody typical. You have a simple thread to commemorate the passing of an individual who has given countless pleasure to millions of people throughout a long and illustrious career, and the likes of Hovelturd, Smiles et.el., come in and post totally gratuitous and unnecessary remarks which have absolutely nothing to do with the point of the thread. You really are a couple of low-class pieces of garbage, aren't you? And you just can't seem to help yourselves but demonstrate that on this site over and over and over again. I don't usually bother to put people on ignore, but I'm making an exception to my usual rule.

Smiles
September 8th, 2007, 00:06
" ...You really are a couple of low-class pieces of garbage, aren't you? ... "
Homoturd is ... I am not.
Low class? That's rich coming from a girl who's sig line reads: " ... just suck the dick ... "

Does the above message mean I am On Ignore? Or just the old bald cunt?

Cheers ... :geek:

September 8th, 2007, 02:32
Aunty,
I could not agree with you more. Why is it on this board some have to quibble with wording rather than intent of the message. Who the hell cares whether someone uses superlatives that may be a bit beyond what might or might not be fact. Pavoratti was a great man who made me appreciate opera all that much more because of his voice. He may or may not have been the finest tenor of the century but no one can argue he was up there at the top. This constant obsession by some with picking apart everything anyone says only goes to show you how shallow their existance must be.
Marsilius,
I think you made your point quite well and thank you.
Homintern,
You do enjoy stirring the pot, don't you?

September 8th, 2007, 05:26
Doubtless he was greatly gifted and had the grace and generosity to develop and share his gift, leaving the planet richer than he found it.

September 8th, 2007, 06:32
This constant obsession by some with picking apart everything anyone says only goes to show you how shallow their existance must beDr Goebbels had much the same point of view about the uses of language

Homintern, You do enjoy stirring the pot, don't you?As Miranda Priestley says in The Devil Wears Prada - "That is not a question"

September 10th, 2007, 10:21
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2UOVom5Ik
(note:click on "link" or double click the picture to watch)

Yes he was great. He did one thing and he did it very good.

The greatest ever??? Well, no one is alive who has heard both Caruso and Pavarotti. All we have is scratchy recordings of the former to judge by. What about Jussi Bjorling, who's recordings were almost all in the 1950's?
Of course there is the endless debate of Pavarotti vs. Domingo which I believe was genesis of the "Three Guys Slumming It"...ooops....I mean "Three Tenors" shows.
Perhaps Snowcat, not the "Greatest". But I'll venture he was certainly one of the top 5 of the last century.

Sadly, he reached his peak 25 years ago and should have retired by the time of the "Three Tenors". He lived long enough to get booed at La Scala and finally became a parody of himself.

September 10th, 2007, 11:21
Well, no one is alive who has heard both Caruso and Pavarotti.Dame Nellie Melba is said to have remarked of Caruso, "He had the sweetest cum I ever tasted". She was a great advocate of semen as a lubricant for the vocal chords and allegedly had some strapping young man on hand in her dressing room whom she could fellate before each evening's performance

September 10th, 2007, 11:26
Damn Bobby T. He's really a little Jimmny Cricket pest!

Yes, the world was better for Pavarotti being here, and its a bit sadder place for his being gone.

Ok, here's a youtube clip of a very young Pavarotti in his prime and the Divine Joan Sutherland.
Marsilius, eat your heart out....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_CC9U43BFio

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 12th, 2007, 20:51
who I have seen sing live and made me weep..Pavarotti and Dame Joan Sutherland.

they sent shivers up my spine..and I was sober. Others may have been better technically but that's not what it's about.

The greatest star of all time was of course the great Caruso..if you can find a scratchy old recording you will hear a voice that is a gift from the angels.

remember..these gods don't need amplification.

vale Luciano..you fat old lovable Italian genius.