PDA

View Full Version : "Ugly Americans (and other nationalities)

September 5th, 2007, 09:35
I just have to cringe when I hear the shitty behavior of farangs patients that come to the Medical facility my BF works as a receptionist at. No wonder many locals have such bad views of us. last week he had a german couple who tried to pay in euros. When he told them they could exchange the money nearby at one of several silom money exchanges .. They insisted they wanted to go to their hotel in Sukhumvit (because they were sure it would give them a better exchange rate and they lectured my bf (a BKK native).. on how they know more than HIM about such things! (what an insult). So my guy had to waste 2 hours accompanying them to their hotel and back (to make sure they didn't skip out).
THEN the next day an american tourist (an unfriendly old queen), Tried to use his VISA which wouldn't go through (because he neglected to let his Bank know he would be in Thailand). The guy had no mobile, and the international connection at the office phone was not working, So my BF (being a nice guy) offers the jerk the use of HIS mobile to call his bank. He talks for 15 minutes. Not only does he not Thank my BF, he THROWS my BF's mobile about 3 feet to a table top where it slides off and falls to the floor. No apology. just demanded that they try his Credit Card again, then left.
BOY,I wish I had been there to say something. My BF and his fellow employees, being typical Thai, just smile and accept the behavior.

September 5th, 2007, 09:46
But were they significantly older than your boyfriend, Jake? We all know you have an intense horror of people of different ages mixing freely

catawampuscat
September 5th, 2007, 09:48
More than once, I have heard an native English speaker (USA, UK etc. farang) said why don't they (Thai people) speak English. This is in Thailand
and it is incredible than some farangs have such a fucked up attitude about people in other countries. It is arrogance and
sheer stupidity.
If a traffic light is broken, these same arseholes start with the TIT crap (This is Thailand) as if that explains why every thing is
not exactly the same as in their home country.
I live in Thailand because it is not the same as in my home country.

Of course, these types of arseholes exist in our home countries and some even on this forum, but when they behave badly it reflects
on all of us.

The only thing that will save the English speaking ex-pats and tourists are the Russian speaking ones. They make even the crudest of us
look like a gentleman. Some of the Middle Easterners do a good job of making us look good as well but it is a lesser of two evils type of comparison.

atri1666
September 5th, 2007, 09:48
I am really curious about "german franks" - may be i missed something in the last 48 years.

September 5th, 2007, 10:07
... it is incredible than some farangs have such a fucked up attitude about people in other countries. It is arrogance and sheer stupidityIndeed - I'm grateful every day I'm in Bangkok for the complete lack of chauvinism I observe among the Thai :cyclopsani:

September 5th, 2007, 10:39
DELETED

September 5th, 2007, 11:09
Sorry,

I thought it was German marks, French francs and that it was all euros now anyway????

September 5th, 2007, 11:10
Sorry.. I was thinking Swiss because I was just there. Euro's sorry. As to Homintern, always the smart ass remark. Just the kind of person who would probably act like this in person. I have no problem with different ages intermixing. It's one of the nicest aspects of Thailand. I do have a problem with 80 year olds having sex with 16 year olds. So sue me.

September 5th, 2007, 12:03
Glad to hear that jake and catawampuscat can speak English. On behalf of non-native English speakers I would like to ask you both to parse and defend the grammar of the following statements by jake:

(1) "Just the kind of person who would probably act like this person."

(2) "Sorry...I was thinking Swiss because I was just there."

I won't even begin to try to unravel the ramblings of catawampuscat.

The mates of John Howard might do well to learn to write English properly before excoriating Brits and Americans.

September 5th, 2007, 12:24
Sorry My grammer bothers you. I just got off a 16 hour work shift and I'm tired. What's your excuse?
Why do I even bother to try and post on this board? Bunch of bitchy old queens.

Never again...

krobbie
September 5th, 2007, 12:39
Sorry My grammer bothers you. I just got off a 16 hour work shift and I'm tired. What's your excuse?

Never again...

Jake ... it's grammar. Don't be too touchy. Just get some sleep and you'll be back as sharp as a knife again soon.

Cheers

allieb
September 5th, 2007, 13:07
Jake

The medical facility your bf works in would do well to tighten up their rules. Any medical facility I have visited around the world wont even see you until you have swiped a hefty deposit on a credit card or paid some cash advance even if you are covered in blood. Except of course the UK where we are looked after by the state from cradle to grave.

Its also well known that a lot of farang behave like you described in 3rd world countries. They are slightly better behaved in other countries for fear of a punch on the nose from someone who is not hard up for business. and who's dinner table dosen't depend on it.

You bf should have added the charge of the phone call to the mans bill and swiped the card accordingly. With regard to the assholes who wanted a better exchange rate. To solve the problem accept the Euros at under the bank rate or call the police if they tried to leave without paying.

Regarding the criticism of your grammar. Don't take any notice there are some cunts on this board whose life is so shallow that correcting grammar gives them an orgasm. Theses types usually have no or few friends.

September 5th, 2007, 13:52
I do have a problem with 80 year olds having sex with 16 year olds. So sue me.More to the point, since I'm guessing a fair number of posters here regularly have sex with younger men, what is an acceptable age gap for you? You've always dodged that question, which is why I keep bringing it up

krobbie
September 5th, 2007, 14:03
homintern ... I hope it's not more than 28 years or I'm in deep trouble. I'm 53 ... bf is 25.

blazer
September 5th, 2007, 14:37
Thailand is attracting people from around the world for all sorts of medical procedures, especially elective surgery. Thai hospitals and clinics are advertising western standards at a fraction of the cost of medical care elsewhere. It will take some health care facilities longer than others to adapt, but we will see much more of this.

firecat69
September 5th, 2007, 16:15
Allieb,

You show your ignorance about Hospitals in Thailand. I have at different times needed to go to 3 of the top hospitals in Thailand including Bumrungrad.

I have always been seen promptly and without any mention of how are you going to pay until the visits were finished.

This would never happen in the Western world of the USA etc.

Marsilius
September 5th, 2007, 16:39
A friend of mine was admitted to hospital in Pattaya for a couple of days after falling ill. No mention of money at all until he went to pay at the desk on being discharged.

September 5th, 2007, 16:46
Question:
You enter the hospital on an emergency basis. They treat you and you stay for three days. Then you must pay to check out. What happens if you don't have the money on you or a credit card on you, but must go back to your hotel or condo to get it and you have to do that yourself? Is is standard for them to have someone go with you to do this, or will they just keep you there like a prisoner?

September 5th, 2007, 16:58

Never again...

Jake ... it's grammar. Don't be too touchy. Just get some sleep and you'll be back as sharp as a knife again soon.

Cheers

Just as a matter of vague interest....Why do you bother to post on this board??????
But I do hope you are feeling better after a good sleep, a good fuck. and a few calming drinks!
I often wonder why I bother posting here with so many bitchy, crass and recalcitrant old faggots, so I see where you're coming from.

September 5th, 2007, 17:18
Sorry,

I thought it was German marks, French francs and that it was all euros now anyway????

Nooooo Kevin, That was german pounds and english marks, swiss lira, polish francs,spain franken and US euro :diabloanifire:

September 5th, 2007, 18:09
Sorry,

Nooooo Kevin, That was german pounds and english marks, swiss lira, polish francs,spain franken and US euro :diabloanifire:

Got it,

Now I understand, see you in two weeks.

Kevin.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 5th, 2007, 18:22
they come from every country..but at the same time you meet wonderful ex-pats in Pattaya who make up for it..Americans, Germans, Frogs..you name it..and yes-even Aussies !..step forward wx40afp who I've never met but those who I trust implicitly say he's a bonzer chap !!.

Some tourists are just out and out yobs and know no better. You know I can remember way back ( long term memory is wonderful) when I was in Spain with a blond lady friend and I was at the peak of my youth..and some snobbish French tourists said as we walked to the waters edge.."Hitler would have been proud of those 2 !"..thinking we were German !!. My Jewish Romany Slovakian mother would have turned in her grave !!

allieb
September 5th, 2007, 18:43
Allieb,

You show your ignorance about Hospitals in Thailand. I have at different times needed to go to 3 of the top hospitals in Thailand including Bumrungrad.

I have always been seen promptly and without any mention of how are you going to pay until the visits were finished.

Point taken as I have never had to go to a hospital in Thailand thank god but as I said other places around the world are different and want your money first. Good on Thailand for having such a human approach.

I do think however that Thai hospitals should tighten up the rules to protect themselves against assholes like the ones mentioned by the original poster, who don't appreciate what is being done for them.

September 5th, 2007, 19:18
Allieb,

Point taken as I have never had to go to a hospital in Thailand thank god but as I said other places around the world are different and want your money first. Good on Thailand for having such a human approach.

I do think however that Thai hospitals should tighten up the rules to protect themselves against assholes like the ones mentioned by the original poster, who don't appreciate what is being done for them.

Dear allieb,

Bumrungrad does.

You, for any kind of costly surgery, are given a quote first, believe me!

You are then required to produce insurance and/or a credit card to cover the costs of the estimate.

Been there, seen it, done it!

jimnbkk
September 5th, 2007, 20:38
In June I ran up a roughly 300,000 baht bill at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. They were not the least bit hesitant to stop by my room during the 6 days I was there to ask for a swipe of my credit card. I guess they were afraid I'd die and leave them penniless. They were nice about it, but were obviously concerned that I wouldn't be able to pay because I had no insurance that they could bill directly from Thailand.

But, I was pleased with the treatment, impressed with the facility, and comfortable with the medical staff, all of whom spoke English. And now, cured, I'm going to revisit LOS in November.

September 5th, 2007, 20:39
IтАЩve also made many visits to four BKK private hospitals (inc Bumrungrad) and never been asked to pay until afterwards - mostly for small stuff though, less than 10000 baht. However, I imagine if it was something more major, as mentioned by kquill, theyтАЩd probably want to swipe my credit card first, and fair enough.

Unfortunately, obnoxious behaviour is not limited to those of тАЬwesternтАЭ appearance. IтАЩve seen some appalling stunts pulled by Hong Kong tourists in Thailand. Exactly why they think theyтАЩre going to get better service from a waiter by being rude to them, I just donтАЩt get. IMO its not a good idea to insult someone who has access to your food and drinks - and credit card details.

September 5th, 2007, 21:09
IтАЩve also made many visits to four BKK private hospitals (inc Bumrungrad) and never been asked to pay until afterwards - mostly for small stuff though, less than 10000 baht. However, I imagine if it was something more major, as mentioned by kquill, theyтАЩd probably want to swipe my credit card first, and fair enough.

Unfortunately, obnoxious behaviour is not limited to those of тАЬwesternтАЭ appearance. IтАЩve seen some appalling stunts pulled by Hong Kong tourists in Thailand. Exactly why they think theyтАЩre going to get better service from a waiter by being rude to them, I just donтАЩt get. IMO its not a good idea to insult someone who has access to your food and drinks - and credit card details.

Totally agree with all your post.

thrillbill
September 5th, 2007, 21:59
None of us are perfect under stress BUT if I see a Westerner being totally rude to a Thai who is working in the service business, I nail the guy...well, I correct him politely. My attitude is that I don't want some foreign jack-sh$t to get away with it.

Marsilius
September 5th, 2007, 23:30
Quote from thrillbill, above: "BUT if I see a Westerner being totally rude to a Thai who is working in the service business, I nail the guy...well, I correct him politely."

Sounds like a case of inverted snobbery to me.

Why limit your intervention to cases of a westerner, rather than anyone (including a Thai person?), who is "totally rude"?

You also ignore the possibility that a foreigner's genuine anger (which you might be interpreting as "total rudeness") might have been justified by appalling service [there is another interesting thread on this board called "I could run a business better than Thais" which focuses on poor customer service in Thailand].

And the inverted snobbery comes in when you assume that a Thai person is unable to stand up for himself or herself (as employees in service industries all over the world need and have to do as part of their job) when faced with such "total rudeness" - and thus requires western protection.

September 6th, 2007, 00:11
Guys,

Even the thread title is wrong, it should if anything read "Ugly People" not just attack American citizens for the hell of it.

Rudeness to anyone,whatever their profession, not only service staff, is neither desired nor required. Furthermore, it shows a lack of maturity and basic manners.

Even an error on the part of service staff does not warrant it. You can show your frustration in the tip you leave, and the feet that don't take you back there again!

Dboy
September 6th, 2007, 07:52
None of us are perfect under stress BUT if I see a Westerner being totally rude to a Thai who is working in the service business, I nail the guy...well, I correct him politely. My attitude is that I don't want some foreign jack-sh$t to get away with it.

I'll bet you've never had to do this to an American tourist. Much more likely to be a Brit. "Ugly Americans" are ugly from being stupid about the world outside the US, while Brits are ugly from being drunks,from combining football with alcoholism, and from poor social skills. Germans are ugly from always trying to run around naked(what's up with that, seriously?), and from being loud. Kiwi's are generally polite, from my experience, and Aussie's...what it there to say, Billy.

Dboy

September 6th, 2007, 09:03
homintern ... I hope it's not more than 28 years or I'm in deep trouble. I'm 53 ... bf is 25.I suspect you're going to qualify as "beyond the pale". The problem with ageists is they think they'll never be old themselves

Smiles
September 6th, 2007, 12:29
Why not keep yourselves healthy, slim, non-smoking, sober, vegan, and in good humour? Then you bloody-well wouldn't need a bloody hospital every bloody hour.
(Bunch of bloody unhealthy wankers!)

Cheers ...

September 6th, 2007, 20:19
Then you bloody-well wouldn't need a bloody hospital every bloody hourUntil we're run down crossing the road, or fall and twist an ankle on one of the many uneven footpaths, or get mugged by the roaming bands of feral transvestites

September 7th, 2007, 07:26
... feral transvestites
What a great turn of phrase. Thanks for my morning chuckle.

Wesley
September 7th, 2007, 08:53
Col. you never cease to keep me in Wikipedia fera... a fish or even worse and extinct one, or family of fish who happen to be in this case transvestites. God help us.

Wesley

September 7th, 2007, 09:04
Col. you never cease to keep me in Wikipedia Don't tell Young Master Cedric. He read somewhere once that Wikipedia isn't wholly trustworthy in a few areas and ever since he's been beating the "Wikipedia is totally unreliable" drum