View Full Version : Poll

September 4th, 2007, 19:16
Poll

Here's the question

September 4th, 2007, 19:32
I don't think you can give a yes or no answer to the question as it is phrased.

September 4th, 2007, 19:38
Its difficult isn't it. You can't sit on the fence with the way I have put it. There are so many connotations of capital punishment but the bottom line is the way we see it in our lives. Hence the phrase "this is a tricky one".

Aunty
September 4th, 2007, 19:49
I agree. As phrased it's a silly and very poorly thought out question. I didn't vote.

September 4th, 2007, 19:52
I rest my case. "I didn't vote". The question does not give you any alternative, its direct. However, I am open to suggestions as to how to rephrase the question without giving people lots of options. Because that is the way it actually is in certain countries, no ifs or buts.

Aunty
September 4th, 2007, 20:00
I rest my case. "I didn't vote". The question does not give you any alternative, its direct. However, I am open to suggestions as to how to rephrase the question without giving people lots of options. Because that is the way it actually is in certain countries, no ifs or buts.

The question as written is nonsense, it doesn't merit a vote or even a reply. Serious crime indeed. The subject is murder.

September 4th, 2007, 20:01

I did vote ...the only way I could 'errr thats a hard one".......not only is the actual question ambiguous but the choice of answers are designed to lead more to agreement with you rather than be subjective!

September 4th, 2007, 20:03
It is very incorrect to describe capital punishment as murder. The two are very different things.
Murder = the unlawful killing of a human being
Capital Punishment is extremely lawfull so will you stop describing it as murder.
I take it you're from over here in the UK and are one of those who would fine a murderer about ┬г50 and tell him to stop being so naughty.

September 4th, 2007, 20:07
Hi,

I am appalled at the one sided way you have written the poll to obtain your desired answer.

I have explained my points in full detail on the other thread regards this.

Your poll does not resemble at all the points to which we refer, and does not merit response.

jimnbkk
September 4th, 2007, 20:09
"Someone is found guilty in a Court of Law (of a serious crime such as what we are on about) whether they committed the crime or not, it makes no difference, they have been found guilty in a Court of Law - should they face the death penalty."

the phrase "...such as what we are on about" to describe the crime doesn't make it 'votable'. What are we 'on about'?

Further, to presume that somebody not guilty of a crime is found guilty in a "Court of Law" and therefore is to be put to death is insane. Is your phrase '...face the death penalty' mean to be executed? or simply to be sentenced to death? At least in the USA, to be sentenced to death does not mean that one is taken out into the prison yard and immediatly dispatched with a bullet in the back of the head. It means the start of up to 10 years of various appeals. Still, innocents are executed.

And, finally, does this have anything to do with Thailand?

September 4th, 2007, 20:44
The poll is based on fact, whether I, you or anyone likes it or not. That is the way it is - nothing to do with me - that is REALITY - if someone is found guilty in a court of law irrespective of whether they committed the crime or not - that's it, the finale (after appeals etc etc etc of course, and I'm only talking about severe crimes here).

It is not an opinion of mine, its a statement of fact. It happens everyday.

Whilst a lot on this board believe the person involved in this case should face the death penalty and believe me I do also believe he should face it, he did something awful and I'm on your side when it comes to this - but less all the anger etc etc etc (if anger is involved) - NOT at the expense of another totally innocent people, who have been found guilty of a crime and had nothing to do with it. Sorry, that is not on at all. And it is the price we have to pay if we want it that way as in the UK, as much as we hate it. This actually happens in society time and time again, because a country has capital punishment in operation, inevitably innocent people get caught up in it and that is not on.

September 4th, 2007, 20:48
"Someone is found guilty in a Court of Law (of a serious crime such as what we are on about) whether they committed the crime or not, it makes no difference, they have been found guilty in a Court of Law - should they face the death penalty."

the phrase "...such as what we are on about" to describe the crime doesn't make it 'votable'. What are we 'on about'?

Further, to presume that somebody not guilty of a crime is found guilty in a "Court of Law" and therefore is to be put to death is insane. Is your phrase '...face the death penalty' mean to be executed? or simply to be sentenced to death? At least in the USA, to be sentenced to death does not mean that one is taken out into the prison yard and immediatly dispatched with a bullet in the back of the head. It means the start of up to 10 years of various appeals. Still, innocents are executed.

And, finally, does this have anything to do with Thailand?

I'm not dotting my "i"s and "q"s in this respect, "such as what we are on about" means a serious crime such as murder.

Sentenced to death means exactly that, however it is done.

I'm talking about every country who has capital punishment.

September 4th, 2007, 20:52
Lots of people on here don't like the way I have put the question because it gives them no alternative, its silly, whatever. Unless, someone is constructive and gives me an example of how they would put it, then don't moan about it. I'm open to suggestions and amendments.

September 4th, 2007, 20:57
However, I am open to suggestions as to how to rephrase the question without giving people lots of options.
IMHO the only way you can phrase a poll question on this subject is :

"Are you in favour of capital punishment?"

Available options: YES or NO

September 4th, 2007, 21:08
... too straight forward, its too simple, open to too many connotations and people don't think of the implications, sorry. I've given an example of what is actually happening in the world.

bao-bao
September 4th, 2007, 22:29
... there isn't a choice for "no"

An interesting question, but would've benefited from a little more clarification and forethought in the choices.

I couldn't vote, either.

Smiles
September 4th, 2007, 22:50
Deleted as Snowkat has already posted esentially the same thing above (sorry, didn't read all).

WhiteDesire, your poll, and poll choices, are poorly written. Polls should be blunt, specific and short, and the choices should be the same. Extraneous description and complication should always be avoided.
Snowcat's take on this is dead on, though you don't seem to know it.

Cheers ...

September 4th, 2007, 23:11
I will admit could be reworded, but already the message is getting across and causing a few roars. I consider it is blunt and specific, certainly not short though.

September 5th, 2007, 04:24
Quite apart from the inadequacy of the available responses your term "a court of law" is horribly vague. Do you equate the local magistracy with one in China or Zimbabwe? Are you happy with a legal system that can terrorize its own Senators into admitting guilt to having a surreptitious intentions rather than a "wide stance".

Dboy
September 5th, 2007, 05:12
I'm against the death penalty, due to the fact that I live in Texas. George W. Bush used to be Governor of this state. An idiot like George W. Bush has no business making decisions related to the death penalty. So its not that I'm really against the death penalty itself, I just don't think the system is set up to guarantee that a politician is mentally capable to make good decisions. Since a death penalty decision cannot be undone, life in prison is the better option.

Dboy

Bob
September 5th, 2007, 06:55
Simply can't vote as question is too vague. Just because somebody is guilty of a "serious" crime doesn't mean the death penalty could or should apply. Isn't bank robbery serious? (yet no US state applies the death penalty to that crime).

September 5th, 2007, 16:44
Simply can't vote as question is too vague.
One could say the same about the thread title: "Poll" ???

September 5th, 2007, 18:17
55% say no capital punishment, with a further 18% saying "erm this is a tricky one" - I think I have made my point.

September 5th, 2007, 19:06
The poll percentages, totaling up all the answers with 27 votes in, adds up to 98%. What happened to the other 2% ???

Smiles
September 5th, 2007, 19:32
" ... 55% say no capital punishment, with a further 18% saying "erm this is a tricky one" - I think I have made my point ... "
No thanks to your 'Poll': Poor title, incomprehensibly worded, silly choices.

You'd have gotten exactly the same result if you had of just asked a proper question . . . . i.e. "Do you believe in capital punishment". Did you expect any other result?
Don't quit your day job. Don't apply to Gallup.

Chers however ....