PDA

View Full Version : Thai convicted for murdering 2 russians

September 4th, 2007, 03:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 976775.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6976775.stm)

A court in eastern Thailand has sentenced a local man to death for the murder of two Russian women in the beach resort of Pattaya in February. Tatyana Tsimfer, 30, and Liubov Svirkova, 25, were found shot dead in deckchairs on Jomtien Beach 150km (90 miles) south-east of Bangkok.

Anuchit Lamlert confessed to killing them during a robbery because he was afraid they would remember his face.

Anuchit's father, Suchart, said he would appeal against the verdict.

Thai law dictates that an automatic appeal must be held within 30 days for all death sentences.

The country's last execution was carried out in December 2003, when three convicted drug traffickers and a murderer were killed by lethal injection.

September 4th, 2007, 04:29
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6976775.stm

A court in eastern Thailand has sentenced a local man to death for the murder of two Russian women in the beach resort of Pattaya in February. Tatyana Tsimfer, 30, and Liubov Svirkova, 25, were found shot dead in deckchairs on Jomtien Beach 150km (90 miles) south-east of Bangkok.

Anuchit Lamlert confessed to killing them during a robbery because he was afraid they would remember his face.

Anuchit's father, Suchart, said he would appeal against the verdict.

Thai law dictates that an automatic appeal must be held within 30 days for all death sentences.

The country's last execution was carried out in December 2003, when three convicted drug traffickers and a murderer were killed by lethal injection.

My views on these types of killings are known to the board.

September 4th, 2007, 04:37
I don't really agree with capital punishment. So many times they get it right, but so many times they get it wrong!

However, I strongly believe in prevention rather than cure.

September 4th, 2007, 05:28
I don't really agree with capital punishment. So many times they get it right, but so many times they get it wrong!

However, I strongly believe in prevention rather than cure.

Whitedesire,

We can't prevent it now, they're already dead!

September 4th, 2007, 07:56
But it will prevent him from ever murdering again - so off with his head.

September 4th, 2007, 12:51
His Dad still loves him.

Yes,

And I am quite sure the parents of those two Russian girls loved their daughters as well

Aunty
September 4th, 2007, 13:28
Just let me know when they need the hypodermics' and the KCl, and I'll be up like a shot!

September 4th, 2007, 16:01
Just let me know when they need the hypodermics' and the KCl, and I'll be up like a shot!

Aunty,

Give him two shots, one for each poor girl!

And to all you pacifists, why did he kill two young girls???

Because he was concerned if captured, they could identify him!

September 4th, 2007, 16:32

Aunty,

Give him two shots, one for each poor girl!

And to all you pacifists, why did he kill two young girls???

Because he was concerned if captured, they could indentify him!

I'm with Kqwill on this one, an eye for an eye!

September 4th, 2007, 17:50
This was a big deal at the time, coming hot on the heals of promises by TAT that it would clean up crime that affected tourists. They badly needed a conviction and quick. This means, possibly, rigorous and physical interrogation, corner cutting, lack of representation for the accused and all the other ways in which the Thai legal system can be unaccountable.
If there is no doubt he did it, then I dont care what they do to him, but if anybody has any doubt, then commute the death sentence.

September 4th, 2007, 18:20
... in this case he "probably" did it and is going to be sentenced to death. However, my point is not with him specifically, there has to be a stance whether you believe in capital punishment or not. And all you who say "off with his head", how would you feel if you were the judge/jury sentencing him and the person who has to flick the switch as so to speak, then some years later you found out that this person did not commit the crime? There are cases all over the world that this happens, misjustice etc etc.

If this case was not so profilic then he would have probably been given a life sentence, he might even get that now.

Ok, a nasty crime and a lot of people are saying "the death sentence" is what he deserves. But if a stance is not kept on capital punishment, then it is inevitable that someone one day will be sentenced in this way for a crime they did not commit, even stitched up. How many time have board members been stitched up, even as a child and said "it wasn't me, I had nothing to do with it", then they had to take the blame. There are court cases that typify this example, it happens all happens all the time. Those are the people that need protecting but unfortunately once the decision is made "off with his head" there aint no turning back!

September 4th, 2007, 18:26
Send him to a russian/siberian prison would be a better option for me.

Aunty
September 4th, 2007, 18:30
If this case was not so profilic then he would have probably been given a life sentence, he might even get that now.

For the murder of two people, you've gotta be kidding me! Just how many people have to die before folk like you actually give a damn for the victims and their families?

September 4th, 2007, 19:13
how would some of you like to be put in court and convicted for a crime you categorically did not carry out. I've seen it happen too many times. Those are the people that need protecting and unfortunately at the expense of someone who did commit a crime.

Ok they are following the law in this severe case such as the one we are on about, you might say "he did it", "he should be hung" whatever. BUT the next time (if there is a next time god forbid), then it might be a mistake. That's why a stance has to be made when it comes to capital punishment, you either believe in it for everyone or nobody.

Here's the question

Someone is found guilty in a Court of Law (of a serious crime such as what we are on about) whether they committed the crime or not, it makes no difference, they have been found guilty in a Court of Law - should they face the death penalty.

I don't believe in capital punishment.

I will poll this

Aunty
September 4th, 2007, 19:53
I put it to you again. How many people have to die before people like you give a damn about victims and their families. It's an easy question. Answer it.

September 4th, 2007, 19:53
how would some of you like to be put in court and convicted for a crime you categorically did not carry out. I've seen it happen too many times. Those are the people that need protecting and unfortunately at the expense of someone who did commit a crime.

Ok they are following the law in this severe case such as the one we are on about, you might say "he did it", "he should be hung" whatever. BUT the next time (if there is a next time god forbid), then it might be a mistake. That's why a stance has to be made when it comes to capital punishment, you either believe in it for everyone or nobody.

Here's the question

Someone is found guilty in a Court of Law (of a serious crime such as what we are on about) whether they committed the crime or not, it makes no difference, they have been found guilty in a Court of Law - should they face the death penalty.

I will poll this

I have read and voted in your "poll" which has been worded in such a way that Pol Pot or Thaksin would be proud, If you most conduct a poll....make the options reasonably available instead of wording it to gain biased replies.
In general I have found that most countries have a reasonably fair judicial system and the death penalty is not carried out until exhaustive appeals are heard and debated. I could believe the death of one person being accidental homicide but two.....I really think one must do some serious thinking before jumping to defence.

September 4th, 2007, 20:00

Here's the question

Whitedesire,

I WAS tried and convicted by a singular judge in a Court of Law in Thailand, for a crime, ANYONE with one bloody ounce of intelligence knew then, and certainly knows now, I did not commit.

Only when the evidence was overwhelming in the side of the defence, as well as Senior political Thais and very high ranking Police involved was I acquitted by all THREE appeal Court Judges.

I am for the death penalty for crimes, which I, and the public at large, class as crimes against humanity, when the evidence is overwhelming and all fair, correct and proper procedure, exhaustive and expensive as it may be, is carried out.

I personally, am referring to disgusting crimes of violence with excuses offered, such as, "I killed them not to be identified," "He looked at me no good, I am sorry but I was drunk" "I was on drugs, I can't remember"

Then Social services moving in with the "tough childhood story etc etc." It does not wash with me, none of it.

Gents, I came from a widowed mother in her thirties with Seven children.

It wasn't great,[ It would have been much more fun being born rich]

I was the second from youngest.

She got out and held two full time[ more or less, jobs down to bring us up.

One went completely wrong, the eldest! The rest of us have managed a reasonable job or vocation without hurting, offending or damaging others}

A situation of accidental etc or where there is a possibility of an accident or no genuine intention, I move to the side of "benefit of doubt" I have never said, in all cases.

Each case "by merit" Poll as you wish, I know in your poll where I am voting.

I will poll this

September 4th, 2007, 21:06
Actually, this is typical of what I'm on about "misjustice". You say you didn't do it, but the judge said you did. Can't you actually see, this is absolutely what I'm on about, ABSOLUTELY. Can't you see that.

I am also for capital punishment for a case that is overwhelmingly correct, of course I am. But we cannot have it all ways, that is what the question is all about. I believe in capital punishment but NOT at the expense of innocent people. Am I getting my point over.

And to the people who do support capital punishment, this is an example. Some poor sole was convicted for murdering someone and that person was thousands of miles away at the time of the crime, so that person could not possibly have comitted the crime, that person faces the death penalty because that is the punishment in the relevant country, murder in that country = capital punishment.

Now, do you agree with that, because that is actually happening. And basically that is what your voting for, you're voting for innocent people to be sentenced to the death penalty.

Its an easy choice.

September 5th, 2007, 01:50
Whitedesire,

I read your posts regularly, I am sure you read mine.

Please, I am only referring to cases I have posted on, time and time again, I am not referring to dubious cases or any chance of a possibility of doubt.

All you guys have records of my views and posts,I won't bore you with anymore of the same!

Best wishes to all, I will not post now on this subject, it bothers me.

All the best to everyone,

September 5th, 2007, 02:31
I must admit it has raised a few brows on here.

And similar to you (although I don't know the ins and outs of your case), I have had my own experiences, although I'm not going to post anything on this board about it, albeit it wasn't very nice what happened, and the only person who believed me was my mother - I know I was telling the truth - you know you were telling the truth - but its the "others in higher authority" who have to believe you and make a decision, and based on that what could have happened to me - it wouldn't have been very pleasant at all. That is the reason for my stance on capital punishment.

There are no dubious or chances of a possibility cases in the eyes of a court. We might think it dubious, the judge might think it is dubious. But at the end of the day the court will find a person guilty or not guilty, and that is it.

KQUILL - I too have had enough of this now. But will write a post on the voting.

Wesley
September 5th, 2007, 03:39
Although I am no longer a Conservative I am no bleeding heart Liberal either, off with his head. If it will help cut them both off.

Wesley

September 5th, 2007, 04:41
I put it to you again. How many people have to die before people like you give a damn about victims and their families. It's an easy question. Answer it.

I don't like your tone, its aggressive, can't you debate on a subject without getting angry.

However, I don't have a clue how many people will die before ....... But I know one thing, I do care about victims and their families.

Now its my turn: "How many people have to die before people like you give a damn about these innocent people being executed or killed due to miscarriage of justice. That's an easy question also. Answer it."

September 5th, 2007, 04:57
There aint no miscarraige of justice here. The guy himself even says its a fair cop and justly deserved. Swing baby swing.

Dboy
September 5th, 2007, 05:59

How did he manage to rob them, since he was sitting on a motorbike (on the street), and they were in beach chairs (on the beach), when he fired the first shots? How could they remember his face when they were shot in the back? If they had just been robbed, would they have still been sitting in the beach chairs looking towards the ocean?

This was no robbery.

Dboy

September 5th, 2007, 18:13
I AM REALLY SILLY AND STUPID

That's a good description of you Dboy.

September 5th, 2007, 18:20
The results on the other board are overwhelmingly in favour of no capital punishment.

September 5th, 2007, 19:48

For the murder of two people, you've gotta be kidding me! Just how many people have to die before folk like you actually give a damn for the victims and their families?

May be they make him guilty, because they can't find the real one. General Seri surpreme commander of the Royal Thai Police came to Pattaya for investigations and said that he will kick out every Police chief in pattaya (Local Police Chief, Tourist Police Chief, Immigration Police Chief) if the not find the murderer. So they find the subject very quickly, how amazing. What a surprise!!

September 5th, 2007, 23:49
Some people seem to think that killing a murderer (or, in many countries, including the US, an "alleged" murderer) brings the victims back to life.