PDA

View Full Version : Smokers everywhere

September 3rd, 2007, 20:53
what is it with civilised people (so-called) from health-aware countries (so-called) coming over here (thailand / asia) and chain-smoking their way through every bar, club and restaurant - to the detriment and utter disgust of non-smokers? i just returned from a vist\it to the sauna / spa and EVERYONE bar myself were chain-smoking their way through the afternoon and early evening. not only cigarrettes, but cigars. there were 2 german guys who could not hold their trap or refrain from smoking for a single minute, much to the delight of myself, for whom they totally fucked up the experience.
i can understand that locals smoke for want of education on health and the like, but fat old western bums should really know better by now!
i am currently staying in a wonderful little accommo place, with the only drawback being that i have got a smoking pig on my floor, with the result that the gap in the door (frames) permits smoke to permeate through the entire floor at all hours of the night. when do these people actuallty STOP for a pause in their ADDICTION?

September 3rd, 2007, 21:22
what is it with civilised people (so-called) from health-aware countries (so-called) coming over here (thailand / asia) and chain-smoking their way through every bar, club and restaurant - to the detriment and utter disgust of non-smokers? i just returned from a vist\it to the sauna / spa and EVERYONE bar myself were chain-smoking their way through the afternoon and early evening. not only cigarrettes, but cigars. there were 2 german guys who could not hold their trap or refrain from smoking for a single minute, much to the delight of myself, for whom they totally fucked up the experience.
i can understand that locals smoke for want of education on health and the like, but fat old western bums should really know better by now!
i am currently staying in a wonderful little accommo place, with the only drawback being that i have got a smoking pig on my floor, with the result that the gap in the door (frames) permits smoke to permeate through the entire floor at all hours of the night. when do these people actuallty STOP for a pause in their ADDICTION?

Forget it. Excessive smoking will never end here. The previous regime tried. For about a month during their "social order crusade" it was like ashtrays were flying through the air on and off the tables at restaurants, pubs, bars, discos, etc. Eventually it all calmed down. Obviously, but I can't vouch for this, there was the institution of the "smoking permit" which settled things.

I've had Brits reach across the bar on which I was eating good food and very partially dip their butt "out" and leave it in the ashtray there in my face smoking up a storm and when I complained to him he "disdained" my beligerance and didn't even apologize. I've gotten into crowded hotel elevators while chinese kept smoking their cigars all the way up.

Still, overall, believe it or not, smoking levels are much better now than over the decade and more that I have been here, and I do appreciate that effect. It was much worse.

September 3rd, 2007, 22:23
I smoked three packs a day for 25 years...and stopped smoking 20 years ago. My honest opinion is that most educated adults that are fully aware of the consequences of their continued smoking are unhappy people with low self esteem and an attitude that says life is of little value because I am so miserable. I know that is how I felt during the time I was smoking. Once I fully came out of the closet and turned my attitude about life around I could not stop smoking soon enough.

September 4th, 2007, 02:47
I thought it was bad in blighty for anti smokin, and was lookin forward to going on holiday free from those sodding wingin non smokers...for god sake get a life and get a smoke free hotel and bar otherwise come to the uk for your hols..its practicly illegal here
trip

September 4th, 2007, 03:17
quote by the comedian Chris Rock...
Alcohol! Tastes great, I love it, you love it, we all love it. KILLS muthafuckas every single day. Some of y'all won't even make it home tonight 'cause of alcohol. You'll be like "Oh that Chris Rock sure is funny, Oh! SHIT!" But it's alright cause it's all white. Cigarettes! Cigarettes the most dangerous product known to man. Kills muthafuckas every single day. Cigarettes so dangerous it kills muthafuckas that don't smoke. Thats how dangerous cigarettes are. Thats right, first hand smoke, second hand smoke. People talking out of their necks into a fucking machine like "Hey whats up man, I love cigarettes this shit is kool." But it's alright cause it's all white. Shit could you imagine if the Phillip Morris family was a bunch of jheri-curled niggas from Mississippi? Do you know how illegal a pack of cigarettes would be. You would get sixty years just for a pack of Newports. But it's alright cause it's all white.

Wesley
September 4th, 2007, 03:36
But it's alright cause it's all white. Shit could you imagine if the Phillip Morris family was a bunch of jheri-curled niggas from Mississippi? Do you know how illegal a pack of cigarettes would be. You would get sixty years just for a pack of Newports. But it's alright cause it's all white.

Sounds like you have a racial problem, maybe the Col. Can help when he tells his friend about you. I am sure it would not matter now if you are black or white. 30 or 40 years ago yes.... Times... they do change and people with it. I guess you were left in the stone age!

Wesley

September 4th, 2007, 03:55
the quote is by the comedian Chris Rock

krobbie
September 4th, 2007, 06:02
It seems we have stayed from the point of ... smoking.

I was smoking the last time I was in LoS but have always been, what I term, a considerate smoker. However, as has been pointed out, there's smoke free floors in hotels and perhaps outdoor bars might suit some better.

The fact remains there will always been smoker everywhere you go. Anyone been to France lately? Yikes! There's some serious puffers.

I have now given up the gaspers but I don't decry anyone else for smoking. I hope they can give up but until then ... each individual has a choice ... stay or leave or find another seat. We all just have to be aware before we go out that there WILL be smokers at every venue. Either deal with it or stay home.

September 4th, 2007, 14:45
Once everyone stops smoking you will be able to smell the car fumes and other lethal pollutants much better! ( if you survive drinking yourself to death or heart disease from fatty foods)

Smokers like peanut butter get a bad rap!

September 4th, 2007, 15:29
no, wx40afp, it's not first fatties, then smokers, its BOTH, AND it is YOU. wherever YOU are i do not wish to be. whinger about everything.

September 4th, 2007, 16:17
I have to agree with WX40, :clown:
Whining little cunts like Tanga don't impress me.
Anti fatties / anti smoking / maybe doesn't drink alcohol / and God forbid the use of prostition (gulp!)
Tanga you probably actually like the new BKK airport, would ban tuk-tuk's at the drop of a hat and believe masturbartion will send you blind.
If passive smoking doesn't kill you, you can be certain something else definately will! :idea:

September 4th, 2007, 18:34
Is it safe to come to Pattaya now big mouth fat arse is going home

The boys in the bars will be relieved to know you have gone

We will be relieved you have gone

Tourists will start to come back, knowing you have taken your obese fat arse back to bluggerdom

Traffic Warden for the City of Sydney. Why did you not buy a bar this trip????

thrillbill
September 4th, 2007, 19:13
(I would almost guess that Tanga comes from the USA and maybe...California where you can't even smoke in bars--I am also a nonsmoker from the USA ). I have never smoked but if I did, it would irk me to know that I have fallen in the ploy of the big tobacco companies becoming addicted to their #hit... and don't tell me that the governments REALLY want people to give up smoking...just make it illegal like other addicting drugs. But they need the tax.

I think what makes me sad, (not angry), is seeing the young Thai fellows at the dance clubs such as DJ's or G.O.D or along soi 4 in BKK and 90% of them smoke. Don't they know it is a real turn off to Western men? ... I always thought us gay guys took extra care of our bodies so why would one take up smoking???? -don't get it. But it bothers me when I see Thais fall for the cigarette smoking as the cool thing to do. NOT!! :colors: (and what a wast of baht)

September 4th, 2007, 19:40
Is it safe to come to Pattaya now big mouth fat arse is going home

The boys in the bars will be relieved to know you have gone

We will be relieved you have gone

Tourists will start to come back, knowing you have taken your obese fat arse back to bluggerdom

Traffic Warden for the City of Sydney. Why did you not buy a bar this trip????

Ummmm.... yeah....errr asianad, whatever point you're trying to make!

September 4th, 2007, 20:51
nobody knows what point he is trying to make. high intellect all around, i see , especially wx40. i can't help, you, sorry, you have to ask someone else.

September 4th, 2007, 22:26
the quote is by the comedian Chris Rock

IMHO the greatest black comedian since Richard Prior.

And he's right of course. As long as the Brits were pushing opium it was OK. Once dark/yellow-skinned people got into the trade it became a "bad thing".

September 5th, 2007, 01:24
Surgeon Generals Warning..... Bitching about smoking can be hazardous to you health.

It was my experience that most people smoke less than here in California. I was amazed that if walking the streets of BKK you hardly saw any cig butts. And I certainly smoked less at DJ Staion. BUt in the club Babylon, While I enjoyed smoking as much as I wanted sitting by the pool. I wouldn't dream of smoking at the restraunt.

If the smoke bothers you at hotel. try asking for a non smoking floor. Most reputable hotel have them.

Comimg from California, The epicenter of all this bullshit about smoking, Even smoking in bars is against the law. If you want to try bitching about smoking take a vacation in Las Vegas. Where you can get a second hand high from cig smoking at the airport

What I hate the most is people like you bitching about smoke. Like that for just you have the right to have it only your way. If you want to bitch... talk to the owner... if he thinks it's good foor his bussiness he'll change it to a non smoking bar. Otherwise don't go into an establishment that alows smoking

Wesley
September 5th, 2007, 03:49
I don't smoke, I don't really like being around people that do, but who am I to judge anyone. I am as guilty as anyone to a number of other bad habits. So, when I am there I go where I want to go and put up with the smoke . Its their life and I have a choice as to whether I want to sit next to them.

Wesley

francois
September 5th, 2007, 04:39
If smokers believe they have a right to light up and blow smoke in my face, do I have the right to fart in their face? After all a second hand fart has not been shown to cause lung cancer! Point is, keep it to yourself and do it in private to the extent possible.

September 5th, 2007, 12:38
The fact is you are guest to the country. Fight you own battle in your own home country. Coming to another country and want to try change their rules and habits is in fact....rude. Alternativly stay away. Alas this discussion is going on almost every third month .

krobbie
September 5th, 2007, 12:51
ThrillBill, I think you're on the money. Although I was a smoker until fairly recently, you're right about seeing young people taking up smoking.

The whole "cool" scenario has always surrounded tobacco smoking. back in the day it was overtly advertised in such a way. Not sure where the "cool" thing comes from these days ... just look at the photos on the packs in LoS. Yikes. That did it for me.

Perhaps if the Thai "gummint" really wants to stop everyone smoking they should put ads on the TV during thew Thai soaps. Then everyone would see them.

Cheers
Keith