PDA

View Full Version : FAKE ATM's and card stealers

bucknaway
August 30th, 2007, 07:13
Have any of you heard stories in Pattaya about ATM's setup to steal your card info and password. I found this story in the Phuket online paper.

http://phuketgazette.com/newsimages/bull8282007-5914-1.jpg
http://phuketgazette.com/newsimages/bull8282007-5914-4.jpg
http://phuketgazette.com/newsimages/bull8282007-5914-4.jpg

PATONG: Police are warning credit card and bank card holders to exercise caution when using ATMs and other тАЬswipeтАЭ machines in Patong after an ATM on Soi Bangla was found fitted with devices capable of recording card data and pin numbers.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark told the Gazette that Patong police received a call from an English tourist about 11 pm Friday after he had problems using his credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM on Soi Bangla.

Col Grissak said that after the tourist removed his cash from the machine, he found it difficult to remove his card because it was stuck in the insert hole.

тАЬHe then tried to force his card out and he was surprised when a fitting glued over the insert hole came loose,тАЭ Col Grissak said.

Full story here. http://phuketgazette.com/news/index.asp?id=5914

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 30th, 2007, 09:22
"FAKE ATM's and card stealers "..goes by the name of Mrs O'Booze and should be avoided at all costs.

August 30th, 2007, 10:04
DELETED

alipatt-old
August 30th, 2007, 10:31
Regret to say skimming devices have been found here in New Zealand as well.

Smiles
August 30th, 2007, 10:43
" ... Regret to say skimming devices have been found here in New Zealand as well ... "
. . . and lots here in Canada, tra la. Perhaps Delaware is immune from this old gig. Perhaps Bucknaway just isn't paying attention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice that Boygeenyus has morphed into a Daisy Cutter today. ELEPHANTSPIKE!!!!

Cheers ...

August 30th, 2007, 11:13
Those and the lebanese loop have been around for years in the west. Surprised it took the Thais so long to pick up on it. Almost every ATM in the UK has a sign on it telling you if there is anything remotely suspicious about the machine - not to use it and gives a freephone or or other number to call.

August 30th, 2007, 13:35
I notice that Boygeenyus has morphed into a Daisy Cutter today.

Cheers ...

I can't imagine this is true, heavens alive BG? Not like him at all.
But ELEPHANTSPIKE!!!! this daisy thing morphed earlier today to try and destroy the Thai peanut-butter thread with misguided American patriotism/nationalism, he is not at all nice, thats for sure. I hope ELEPHANTSPIKE!!!! has not gone on hols yet or we are left dealing with a loose cannon in a china shop on our own.

August 30th, 2007, 14:09
Oh, yes. Sabotaged ATM's are all over the place. Better just face up to the facts now: the little brown thieves are going to get your hard-earned black-homosexual-Republican American dollars one way or another. Best thing to do would be to stay at home.

All over the globe you need aware about sabotaged ATM machines. This is nothing new.

Just take care and check the ATM if the layout is different from others you've been using before. Most alterations are pretty obvious. If your are having doubts, use another one.

August 30th, 2007, 16:50
Any insertion, plastic or other always carries risks. With plastic I prefer doing it with ATMs inside manned banking premises and even then I cover my keying hand with the other hand when giving the pin - there are cameras everywhere (some of them invisible).

August 30th, 2007, 16:52
Any insertion, plastic or other always carries risks.

A very apposite comment for a gay board ! :geek:

August 30th, 2007, 20:46
DELETED

August 31st, 2007, 09:19
for internet banking not only do you have to log on and enter personal details, such as password etc, but now they have issued customers with a "calculator type number pad" independent from the computer, and when you make a transaction in your bank account over the internet, the internet produces a number, you then have to swipe your bank card in this "calculator type number pad" and enter your pin number, and also enter the number given to you over the internet to complete the transaction. Sounds foolproof to me, I suspect "without it", a hacker can easily scramble your personal details quite easily and then there is the autocomplete feature, but this little idea is that latest against someone trying to take money out of your bank account.

Sounds complicated, but its easy.

bucknaway
August 31st, 2007, 09:38
This is not something that you hear about here in Delaware...... Traveling around the USA I have heard stories about a friend who knew a woman who heard about a guy who came across a fake ATM....

August 31st, 2007, 17:26
... I'm surprised one cannot recognise them as you look at an ATM anyway.