PDA

View Full Version : om yim guest house / bkk

August 29th, 2007, 16:22
i hope i got the spelling right, but this little guest house is a trruely lovely place and quiet oasis in the central bustle of bkk / silom area.
friendly staff, good food, clean queit rooms, central location, quick acess to bts (only a literal few paces) - highly recommended. and no, i am not a management/marketing sub but a happy guest giving this place a feriendly plug. will be back there on my next transit stopover through bkk. tahnks to the crew at om yim gust house.

donald1
August 29th, 2007, 18:54
.......don't tell everyone about this jewel. Lets just keep it amongst the forum.
We discovered this place from Lonely Planet when I was looking for a hotel in that area with internet connection in the rooms. What a lovely surprise and the people (all of them) could not have done any more to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Besides the in-room wireless, the food was good in the lobby restaurant and the characters that inhabit the lobby and internet stations hours on end add to the fun. And the rates are oh so reasonable. We will stay no where else in BKK on future trips.
they do book up very fast so plan accordingly and enjoy yourselves.

I am not sure if am allowed to put their link in here, but here it is

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimhome.html

August 30th, 2007, 00:34
Yes, Om Yim is run by a pleasant farang and his Thai friend. The comments above seem a little bit strained and since the place has been open for more than a while now, I really wonder how much these people know about Bangkok. Certainly Om Yim is no secret!
The drawbacks of the place are its location which is just far enough away from the center of things that a gay traveler would be interested in so as to make it a bit troublesome despite the fact that it is located almost directly across the street from a skytrain station and on a busy street.
There is no lift (elevator) in the building and the most expensive rooms are on the lower floors.
It is very tastefully decorated but one has the feeling that the place is dark even though they leave lots of lights on even the daytime. The food is good which is no surprise since another farang helps out here who owns a very good restaurant near another very popular hotel of much better value in what I think is a much better location with better amenities all around.
I have never found Om Yim to be full even when I was there during the high season in November and December of last year. I certainly would not bother making a reservation here in advance without checking the place out to see if this is what you really want, all the more so since they require a deposit even if you arrive before 18.00 (6:00 PM). Also I feel that Om Yim is only of average value. There are many choices that one has in this price range. Starting 1 November 2007 their two worst small rooms on the top floor WITHOUT windows go for 800 baht which seems pretty high for what you get. Their rooms on the lowest floor, one flight walk up, will be 1100 baht.
My personal rating of Om Yim would be Ho-Hum, and nothing more. But as I said, the farang running the place and his Thai friend are very pleasant indeed and the place is nicely decorated. And yes, they have internet connections, but lots of places do these days, and Bangkok is awash with internet cafes. And unless you are on a business trip do you really want to lug around a laptop? The additional advantage of using the internet cafes is that you can run into a lot of pretty boys who are on line checking their email and so forth.

August 30th, 2007, 00:42
I called them two times during low season. Booked out both times. You do need a booking there.

August 30th, 2007, 01:40
I called them two times during low season. Booked out both times. You do need a booking there.

I didn't say don't make a reservation if you know you want to stay there. Further Om Yim is small and has only a limited number of rooms, so sure, if you are in love with the place, you would be foolish not to reserve in advance. Nevertheless,
Om Yim has just enough that is a bit different from the usual fare that someone who does not know the place should have a look first. Bangkok has lots of great places to stay, and for even less than Om Yim, and while Om Yim is very nice, it may not be to everyone's liking for exactly the reasons I have stated. For me it is the lack of a lift. Nothing more. Everyone's personal experience will vary. Just like the boys we fancy!

August 30th, 2007, 02:32
Yes, Om Yim is run by a pleasant farang and his Thai friend. The comments above seem a little bit strained and since the place has been open for more than a while now, I really wonder how much these people know about Bangkok. Certainly Om Yim is no secret!
The drawbacks of the place are its location which is just far enough away from the center of things that a gay traveler would be interested in so as to make it a bit troublesome despite the fact that it is located almost directly across the street from a skytrain station and on a busy street.
There is no lift (elevator) in the building and the most expensive rooms are on the lower floors.
It is very tastefully decorated but one has the feeling that the place is dark even though they leave lots of lights on even the daytime. The food is good which is no surprise since another farang helps out here who owns a very good restaurant near another very popular hotel of much better value in what I think is a much better location with better amenities all around.
I have never found Om Yim to be full even when I was there during the high season in November and December of last year. I certainly would not bother making a reservation here in advance without checking the place out to see if this is what you really want, all the more so since they require a deposit even if you arrive before 18.00 (6:00 PM). Also I feel that Om Yim is only of average value. There are many choices that one has in this price range. Starting 1 November 2007 their two worst small rooms on the top floor WITHOUT windows go for 800 baht which seems pretty high for what you get. Their rooms on the lowest floor, one flight walk up, will be 1100 baht.
My personal rating of Om Yim would be Ho-Hum, and nothing more. But as I said, the farang running the place and his Thai friend are very pleasant indeed and the place is nicely decorated. And yes, they have internet connections, but lots of places do these days, and Bangkok is awash with internet cafes. And unless you are on a business trip do you really want to lug around a laptop? The additional advantage of using the internet cafes is that you can run into a lot of pretty boys who are on line checking their email and so forth.

That's exactly my opinion.

Anyway, it's not worth the hassle.

There is better quality accomodation around, like Pinnacle Lumpini (rates around 1.200 TBT) Trinity Silom on Soi Piphat 2 (behind Bangkok Bank HQ) arond 1200 TBT or the Ramada Hotel, Thanon Suriwong for about 1300 TBT per room incl. breakfast.

August 30th, 2007, 17:32
probably all true, yes, there are millions of alternatives. would be great if RAW SUGAR could enlighten us on the alternative (s), especially the one with the restaurant connection. Would love to try that one out as well. please post details here. thanks.

Hmmm
August 30th, 2007, 18:58
There is better quality accomodation around, like Pinnacle Lumpini (rates around 1.200 TBT) Trinity Silom on Soi Piphat 2 (behind Bangkok Bank HQ) arond 1200 TBT or the Ramada Hotel, Thanon Suriwong for about 1300 TBT per room incl. breakfast.

There's not a lot of decent hotels to choose from at this end of the market around Silom. It's good to have another option if that's your budget. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I'd add the Plaza to the list too. Some have pools, some are gay-friendly, some are joiner-friendly, some have big rooms, some are close to transport, some have wireless internet. But none has all of these.

BTW, where can you find the Tawana Ramada for 1300 ? (not that I'm recommending it)

TrongpaiExpat
August 31st, 2007, 04:32
I recently had a friend that stayed there and I was surprised at the quality of the rooms given the low prices. I expected much less. I have know the owner for sometime but never taken a look at the place. He tells me that business is doing very well so that speaks for it's self. I guess you just have to book early.

August 31st, 2007, 07:59
Despite the rooms being really small (I stayed on the 3rd floor with the window) - you hit the bed every time you move around, the biggest problem during my stay was a very bad stench from the bathroom, which appeared to come from the drainage pipes. After me complaining, the staff just sprayed the place with some horribly smelling room spray, and hang another horribly smelling pine tree in the bathroom. I stayed with my Thai BS, and I was very embarrassed about this place - it was really not up to the standards of the Isaan boy...:) He really wanted us to move out back to the good old place, and we did, back to Jimmy's..... No more new "experiences" for me.... Stay with the devil you know....

danny99
August 31st, 2007, 10:44
i hope i got the spelling right, but this little guest house is a trruely lovely place and quiet oasis in the central bustle of bkk / silom area.
friendly staff, good food, clean queit rooms, central location, quick acess to bts (only a literal few paces) - highly recommended. and no, i am not a management/marketing sub but a happy guest giving this place a feriendly plug. will be back there on my next transit stopover through bkk. tahnks to the crew at om yim gust house.

At Baht 1200-1300 why stay around Silom when you can stay at Malaysia [large rooms, bathroom, air-con, fridge, swimming pool, 24 hour restaurant, quiet for sleeping, all for Baht 700-800 baht, add in 50 each way for a taxi and you still have enough left over for food and drinks at The Balcony or a walk around the corner to Babylon or wherever else takes your fancy. I have stayed there 6 times a year for past 5 years and would not consider anywhere else, why waste money just on a bed to sleep in?

TrongpaiExpat
August 31st, 2007, 11:08
The Malaysia has a loyal following. I know one guy that lives there up to 8 months at a time.

As for quiet, across the street there is a huge hotel construction project now and they often go late into the nights with the work. Get a room in the back if you can.

The outdoor and indoor coffee shop has been closed recently. I don't know if it's closed for good or just temporary.

Brad the Impala
August 31st, 2007, 13:09
why waste money just on a bed to sleep in?

You only fuck on the floor?!

September 1st, 2007, 03:03
Let's be honest.. the Malaysia is a dump. They only thing it has going for it is its location and price. Dont' try taking a non-moneyboy there. Most will refuse.

kodiak
September 1st, 2007, 03:47
I found that Om Yimis much better quality the the old run down Pinnacle.........the towles they provide at Pinnacle are frankly old old old brown dish towels with no comfort whatsoever......and the bathrooms there suck big time...sorry ill give pinnacle a pass.......always

OmYim had nice restroom with fresh new Bath towles actually large enough to dry my body........very nice accomodation......i guess im young enough the 2 floors never really bothered me at all........I would much rather have a smaller nicely kept new room with nice restroom....than a slightly larger run down old room....!!

I guess to each his own....

September 1st, 2007, 15:44
I didn't mention the Malaysia Hotel deliberately in my earlier comments here since it is my favorite place to stay. Most of the time it is already next to impossible to get a room there without a reservation made well in advance, despite the fact that it is not exactly a small hotel. I love the diversity of the place. I like the people from different backgrounds who call the place home on their visits to the city. This was the original symbolism of the rainbow flag, diversity, which now seems to stand for prissy pooftas only.
If the facts be known, a wide variety of people stay at the Malaysia including many university professors, owners of large businesses, members of royal families, professional people in any imaginable field, some of whom might give the Oriental Hotel a run for its money in this category, as well as foreigners on the dole (welfare) in their home countries, layabouts, and goof-offs, "hippies" young and old, not to mention wealthy and poor Asians alike. Many staying at the Malaysia could well afford to take suites at the Oriental were they to so desire or any other place in Asia for that matter.
The real problem with the Malaysia is that far too many people love the place. It is surrounded by a bevy of excellent restaurants less than half a block away where you will sometimes see real Kings and Queens of various countries eating.
But for heaven's sake, please don't tell all this to anyone! The last thing in the world the Malaysia needs another dizzy queen whose excrement doesn't smell checking in.
Please don't go to the Malaysia Hotel and tell everyone one you know not to.
Thanks.

September 2nd, 2007, 08:28
I'll have whatever RawSugar is smoking.... LOL

September 3rd, 2007, 08:22
I'll have whatever RawSugar is smoking.... LOL

And people thought the Niddy's Nook advertising was over the top....

September 3rd, 2007, 08:29
members of royal families

We already know lots of Queens stay there.